Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Caprese before the home grown tomatoes were ready.

Anticuchos de Corazon ready for the grill

Kenji's Peruvian Grilled Chicken Sandwich and Elotes (again with the store-bought tomatoes).
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/07/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-sandwiches-recipe.html

Strawberries and cream Pavlova
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/pavlova-meringue-cake-with-strawberries-and-whipped-cream-recipe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

I get the concept of plating but like, half the food isn't in the bowl dude

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Also the racist use of chopsticks in a photo.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

yoober posted:

If only food that isn't in a bowl could be put in a bowl.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
ginger beer belly, how were the chicken sandwiches? I've been wanting to try that recipe

yoober posted:

that was my wife's bowl, most of the rest went into mine when i made it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

large hands posted:

ginger beer belly, how were the chicken sandwiches? I've been wanting to try that recipe

I made these last week. loving amazing. My wife got small slider style ciabatta rolls so only one piece of chicken on each one, but they were great.

I've made his whole Peruvian chicken before on the grill and love that too. Unlike many of his other recipes, the amount of salt seems to be on point for me. I haven't used that special paste for the sauce he says, so it's normally just cilantro, jalapeņo, and everything else-but it's pretty good.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Kenji's Peruvian Grilled Chicken Sandwich and Elotes (again with the store-bought tomatoes).
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/07/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-sandwiches-recipe.html

It looks great but how is that an elote? Cuz that's just grilled corn, man.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

It looks great but how is that an elote? Cuz that's just grilled corn, man.

Good call. That particular plate didn't get the Peruvian sauce or cotija on the corn.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwiniwn posted:

I made these last week. loving amazing. My wife got small slider style ciabatta rolls so only one piece of chicken on each one, but they were great.

I've made his whole Peruvian chicken before on the grill and love that too. Unlike many of his other recipes, the amount of salt seems to be on point for me. I haven't used that special paste for the sauce he says, so it's normally just cilantro, jalapeņo, and everything else-but it's pretty good.

It's a great recipe. The sauce is very versatile (I had it on eggs for breakfast for days after) and the chicken is very flavorful. I also did not have access to aji amarillo but will want to get that for the next time I make it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

POLLYANNA'S rear end poo poo gently caress YOU CHICKEN KORMA

Ingredients:

• Whole spices: cardamom, cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon
  • Ground spices: cumin, turmeric, garam masala, paprika
  • Onions, sliced
  • Minced garlic (use mortar and pestle since you don't have a blender)
  • Chicken thigh
  • Coconut milk (not too much)
  • Cashews

Steps:

• Chop onion into slices. Make lots of it. This stuff has to caramelize for a while so it'll shrink.

• Fry your whole spices in butter on high heat. Make sure your cloves, cardamom, etc. are lightly crushed to release the scents or whatever inside.

• Once their flavor infuses the butter, fish them out with a metal spoon and get hot oil splattered on your hand.

• Fry your not-whole spices in hilariously burnt butter on high heat.

• Burn the poo poo out of the spices and almost cause your smoke alarm to go off because you have no idea what you're doing.

• Reduce heat to medium, add onions and garlic, and cook until onions are deep brown and caramelized to poo poo. Not visible in this photo, because the spices make it look like it's dying already.

• Remove onions and garlic to a bowl. Add more butter to the skillet, melt, and begin searing your chicken thigh. Make sure they get a nice sear on them, they will (probably) be simmering for a while. Fail to get anywhere near a nice sear.

• Pour one out for your homies that didn't make it.

• Once the chicken is "seared", fill the skillet with some of the beef/pork stock you've been collecting over the past two months.

• Add the onions and garlic back, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked. This will probably be 10-15 minutes. Do NOT do what I did and set the timer for 20 minutes and walk away.

• While the chicken is simmering, crush half of your cashews in a mortar and pestle, and combine with coconut milk in a bowl.

• Once the timer goes off, take a look in the skillet, figure that it looks kinda dry, and add some more stock.

• Add the coconut milk+cashew mixture, and stir.

• Curse yourself as you realize that your gravy is now way thinner than you like it because you added more liquid than you really needed and now you have to wait another 10+ minutes for it to reduce.

• Lightly crush the remaining cashews - not all the way, just enough to break them up a bit.

• Once the gravy is finally reduced, add the lightly crushed cashews, cilantro your massive bunch of cilantro is all wilted and soggy because you barely loving use that much cilantro in a week why do they sell so much at a time so just forget it, stir to combine, and season to taste.

• Serve without rice because you're on a diet. Marvel at how much goddamn cashew you ended up using. Feel like you need a nap after a single bowl.

• Look at the mess you made and all the dishes you have to wash and wonder why you didn't just order Indian from Foodler. Oh, right, because last time you did you found a rusty screw in your rice.

No measurements cause I have no loving idea how much of anything I used.

SOURCE

Youtube videos and also I read on Wikipedia that korma is basically cashews + yogurt or coconut milk.

LESSONS

I am not good enough to bullshit my way through without using a real recipe. Use a recipe next time, fucko.

VERDICT

:ramsay:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 4, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
...a good post

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

...a good post

From Pollyanna of all people.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Portobella and goat cheese sheet pizza with roasted red pepper and caramelized onions. Whole wheat crust.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I also make the pizza

Parmesan, mozzarella, ricotta, prosciutto. It turned out really good and I ate it way too fast.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Experiences like this are good. You can rapidly troubleshoot everything here and make a really good batch next time. I'd suggest using ghee instead of butter at least for the spices since butter will burn pretty easily. I also like to temper my spices in a small skillet so heat control is easier and I can cool them down quick in case I burn. Also, if you're going to sear chicken thighs, add about 1/3 or 1/2 as much as you did to your pan and don't crowd them. Do them in batches if you need to. Having so many of them in there means they just all stay close and as they release liquid turn that to steam. You end up with more of a poach than a sear if you overcrowd the pan.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That Works posted:

Experiences like this are good. You can rapidly troubleshoot everything here and make a really good batch next time. I'd suggest using ghee instead of butter at least for the spices since butter will burn pretty easily. I also like to temper my spices in a small skillet so heat control is easier and I can cool them down quick in case I burn. Also, if you're going to sear chicken thighs, add about 1/3 or 1/2 as much as you did to your pan and don't crowd them. Do them in batches if you need to. Having so many of them in there means they just all stay close and as they release liquid turn that to steam. You end up with more of a poach than a sear if you overcrowd the pan.

Yeah, I can identify a good few things that made things harder on me:

• I need to prep all my ingredients in advance, just so I have more space to work with and don't have to scramble to get poo poo done. I should buy more bowls...
  • Frying the poo poo out of stuff on high heat doesn't work for waking spices up. It just burns it. For Indian food in particular, I need to learn how to properly make a tarka.
  • It has a strange aftertaste which I suspect to be the result of one or more of the spices - I need to be more selective in which ones I use.
  • More is not necessarily better, since I think I used too much spice somehow.
  • I somehow used a lot of spice and still ended up with a very bland dish. It doesn't taste of anything except cashews, and the spices are very subtle if even noticeable. I need to figure out how to properly season something, maybe it needed more salt, maybe the spices just got overpowered. Something.
  • As you mentioned, get better at searing chicken thigh. I definitely just kinda plopped it all in there and cooked them all, and if I had maintained a high heat they would have overcooked on the outside while still being kinda raw on the inside. Get smarter about controlling heat and doing things in batches (get more bowls and manage your space better).
  • I used way too much cashew and seriously overwhelmed the dish. I'm clearly not at the level where I can eyeball stuff and consistently get it right (or even acceptable).
  • I need a dishwasher :(

I have this strange issue where I look at a recipe that has 20~25 lines of ingredients and I just sort of shut down. It's intimidating as hell and it always means the recipe is a pain in the rear end to put together. There's maybe 10 ingredients in this one but I've seen recipes get up to the 30s and 40s and that's ridiculous.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I can identify a good few things that made things harder on me:

[list]
[*] I somehow used a lot of spice and still ended up with a very bland dish. It doesn't taste of anything except cashews, and the spices are very subtle if even noticeable. I need to figure out how to properly season something, maybe it needed more salt, maybe the spices just got overpowered. Something.

Salt. Add more salt. Practice adding salt to food in increments and taste it and notice as the flavors change. You want things to be on the "cusp" of too salty, because otherwise it's probably underseasoned.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Frying the poo poo out of stuff on high heat doesn't work for waking spices up. It just burns it.
(unclarified) butter is not a good frying fat, especially at high heat due to the water and milk solids hanging out. otherwise your technique for blooming spices is sound, though i would recommend medium heat to give more of a buffer.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
36 hour sous-vide ribs. Used the recipe in the Anova app, and goddamn were these some fantastic ribs.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Cherry pie from scratch. Bad pictures cause I'm not a photographer and the light in my kitchen is bad.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ah, the Dale Cooper special.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Wahad posted:

36 hour sous-vide ribs. Used the recipe in the Anova app, and goddamn were these some fantastic ribs.

My fav thing to sous vide is salt+pepper st louis style ribs for about 18 hours then finish them over a bit of charcoal in the grill, basted in all the liquid from the bag.

All the connective tissue is melted and the bones slide right out, and its just so rich and tender.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Horseshoe theory posted:

Ah, the Dale Cooper special.

As a major Twin Peaks fan, I approve of this message. And the originally posted cherry pie, of course.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
So I decided to knock up some dinners for the week ahead. Back home there is an Indian restaurant whose signature dish is an 'Anwar Farkwah Yoder,' essentially a moderately spicy curry that's key components are chicken, spinach and tomatoes. Once the onions were sweated down, I added the sliced chicken thighs, spices, chopped peppers and onions and cooked for 4 hours at 100'c in the oven, before the final hour at 200'c to reduce it down a bit. Tastes great!

But seeing as today I was on kind of an 80s protein binge I reverse seared a pork tenderloin to have with a couple of fried eggs. It turned out great with the just the right 'pink in the middle' done-ness you want with pork. One hour at 100'c before getting a nice crust all round in a ripping hot skillet. Sliced up and then left to rest for 5 mins.

I may also be getting to grips with this new f/1.8 camera lens, hence the loving insane amounts of bokeh in the pictures.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Totally Reasonable posted:

I did the sodium citrate + beer trick with some feta and sun dried tomatoes on wheat sourdough. No pics because too good. It's basically a vanishing grilled cheese sandwich.

Feta needs about 10% more citrate than something more naturally melty, but the funk covers the added acidity well, and the sourdough + tomato hides the remainder.

Someone please make this with a respirator on so you can take pics before it magically disappears.

Finally got around to doing this last night, although I used white wine instead of beer. Dunno if it's because of the extra acidity from the wine or what, but I didn't need much citrate at all to get it to emulsify.

I'm making a loaf of sourdough now and am gonna go grab some tomatoes, will post pics.

Pic of the sauce, the dark bits are oregano:

Stringent fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 6, 2017

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Lamb loin, beans, potato dauphinois

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

pork belly on top with brown sugar, chipotle, ancho, coriander, cumin

brisket flat below with salt, pepper, and incidental pork fat (that's my stage name)

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

bucatini with pressure cooker bolognese. first time using the pasta extruder so I used the egg pasta recipe from the manual. Might try a durum semolina mix next time

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

large hands posted:

bucatini with pressure cooker bolognese. first time using the pasta extruder so I used the egg pasta recipe from the manual. Might try a durum semolina mix next time

I've tried two different recipes for pasta, both traditional italian recipes from italian cookbooks, and both were utter failures, so I'm curious how that turns out.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I've tried two different recipes for pasta, both traditional italian recipes from italian cookbooks, and both were utter failures, so I'm curious how that turns out.

I'm curious what the recipes were. What type of pasta were you trying to make and what were the ingredients? I've only ever made it with all purpose flour and eggs and haven't had any issues but I know durum flour and durum semolina are different to work with.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

One is the recipe that I usually use--seems to be faithfully reproduced here--which calls for 00 flour (though I typically use AP). It's 4-5 cups flour, three whole eggs, and two more egg yolks. edit: actually I am pretty sure that I don't make it with that much AP flour, as I find it comes out being way too much. I feel like I only do 2-3 cups.

It looks like this through the machine and is usually great for pappardelle, linguine, or anything flat really.

It jammed up the pasta extruder though.

The next time I tried it I used something similar but perhaps with more egg yolks or more eggs, I can't really remember. Again, it was too heavy for the extruder, though it did better than the first try.

So next time I plan on following the recipe in the machine.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 7, 2017

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

Lamb loin, beans, potato dauphinois

So are you cooking for your ailing grandparents or are you allergic to sauces and seasonings?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'm on a low-sugar, low-carb diet right now which means no pasta - but I dearly wanted pasta with meat-sauce; the sauce I usually make also has a lot of brown sugar in it. So, what to do?

Baked and shredded spaghetti squash, topped with a sugar-free beef/carrot/tomato sauce, with grated swiss, and a garnish of baked cabbage. I already know how to do the squash from earlier experiments, but I basically winged the sauce and... it's better than my regular one.

code:
Sugar Free Meat Sauce

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium Vidalla or other sweet onion, diced
1/4 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups finely grated (or food processed until finely chunked) carrot
1 cup chicken stock
12oz medium ground beef
1/2 cup tomato paste whisked into 1/2 cup warm water

Warm oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion and salt, then saute for 2-3 minutes until beginning to go translucent. 
Add garlic, pepper flakes, and black pepper and saute for another few minutes.

Add carrot and combine with onion/garlic/spices, then stir in chicken stock to keep veggies from burning. 
Simmer until liquid is nearly evaporated, then add beef, breaking into chunks as you add it, and stirring to barely combine.

Finally stir in your tomato paste mix and simmer for several minutes until liquid is slightly reduced and flavors have mixed well. Serve immediately.
The cabbage is also a very pleasant surprise. Salted, rubbed with garlic, and sprinkled with oregano prior to baking for an hour (flipped half-way), the 'steaks' come out crispy and delicious, sweet where they aren't browned/blackened, and tasting like potato chips where they are. Awesome stuff. definitely making this again.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
You've learned a valuable lesson today, which is 'Don't put sugar in ragu you weirdo'.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
that's fair, though the sugar-in recipe doesn't have carrot in it - and was largely a nostalgic thing from my childhood.

continuing with spaghetti squash, this time for breakfast:

Squash is baked and shredded, guts removed, then re-layered into the shell with cooked and cut up bacon and breakfast sausage, swiss cheese, and seasoning; an egg is cracked into a hollow in the middle, and all of it is topped with sauteed onions. Returned to the oven and baked until the egg is done.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

poop dood posted:

So are you cooking for your ailing grandparents or are you allergic to sauces and seasonings?

The dauphinoise was creamy (though it doesn't look like it) but I am indeed trying to lay off extra sauces/butter. Thankfully the meat was beautifully juicy.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
That's, er, quite the red text you got there. :stonklol:

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
It's a good reminder that some autists on these forums can't detect sarcasm.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I tried to make salmon meuniere again and completely hosed it up :negative: The salmon was thick in some places and thin in others, so by the time the thick part was fully cooked the rest was chalky and dry. The butter sauce ended up being thin and watery, and I still haven't figured out how much I should make at a time, so I basically poured it all onto a plate and it was like a soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Pollyanna posted:

I tried to make salmon meuniere again and completely hosed it up :negative: The salmon was thick in some places and thin in others, so by the time the thick part was fully cooked the rest was chalky and dry. The butter sauce ended up being thin and watery, and I still haven't figured out how much I should make at a time, so I basically poured it all onto a plate and it was like a soup.

The sous vide thread can show you how to make your nerd-rear end fish recipe without ever overcooking it again