Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lovely Wizard posted:

Here's a lil' visual to help you understand things :

What the gently caress is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Arist posted:

What the gently caress is this

It's not of jerry, sir

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Pickle Rick ruled

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I liked the intro much better than the previews with the same scene/joke becuase of the way the title cut into the joke.

Are you small or far away?? Is this a camera... is everything a camera?????? :3

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Also lol at summer just wanting to get high hahahaha

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Also lol at summer just wanting to get high hahahaha

She just wants to get Rickitty wrecked. :smith:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She just wants to get Rickitty wrecked. :smith:

Think about how hard it would be to get really high after your god-like scientist grandpa exposes you to drugs most people can't even imagine.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

And the Artstation page for 'Likes': https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZWYrm

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

pnumoman posted:

Think about how hard it would be to get really high after your god-like scientist grandpa exposes you to drugs most people can't even imagine.

Summer's never taken any of that poo poo iirc.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Summer's never taken any of that poo poo iirc.

Well, that we know of. She spent 3 weeks hanging out with Rick in Mad Max World and you know that securing quality recreational get-hosed-up juice would have been at the top of his list of priorities during most of that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I think my favorite little detail about the pickle Rick design is that gross little exposed muscle on his left skeleton arm. It was both disgusting and fascinating to watch when he was gesturing in the therapists office, the animators really go the extra mile on things like that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Exactly. The emotional side of the show is the good part, as well as where most of the really funny stuff comes from. Without it it would just be gross-out humor and violence, which is all well and good but would quickly stop being shocking or novel by itself.

Like Scrubs.

"Nothing happens for a reason, everybody's gonna die, come watch TV?" is R&M's version of "Where do you think you are?"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Dog posted:

Show, don't tell. The scene last season where he tries to kill himself tells us the same thing the therapist does in a lot more impactful manner. Having a character we don't really know summarize a character's flaws for us (flaws thay we're already intimately familiar with) isn't especially interesting.

Show don't tell doesn't mean you don't use dialogue you goober. You completely misunderstood that rule of cinema.

Show don't tell means you show elements rather than talking about something that happened.

Showing dialogue counts as SHOWING, not telling. Telling would be saying "I had a talk with Rick and he agreed he was being a jerk". If you actually see the conversation happen, that isn't telling. "Show don't tell" doesn't mean avoid dialogue completely.

Character development happens primarily through dialogue. You want to avoid gigantic exposition dumps, but they didn't do that so there's no loving problem.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

mutata posted:

The bricolage in this series is unparalled.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Didn't love this episode. I mean rick taking over a cockroach brain was good and I mean, him killing dudes as a pickle was fun and all, but the therapy scenes seemed pretty canned outside the poop-eating lines. The pickle scenes were a little sparse with jokes too - rick by himself isn't quite the same as him on an adventure with morty or something. Jaguar was great but not featured all that heavily. I find myself not caring about their family's trauma and I'd rather just see them go on wacky adventures, personally. One of the weakest IMO, though not as bad as "show me what you got".

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I had no idea why any of you would give a poo poo about Rick and Morty's terrible fanbase but holy poo poo this rabbit hole owns actually.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, someone's gonna get laid in college.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

One of the weakest IMO, though not as bad as "show me what you got".

I couldn't disagree more, the "show me what you got" episode was fantastic as was this one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I didn't like the stinger. The version that appears in the intro seems way more tense, like the piano is just playing and they never know when they'll be next. Instead they are just laying there and the guy tells them when they are going to get their heads smashed. It also would have better if all the other people's heads weren't presmashed. Pretty lame overall.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This person is either a teenager or severally stunted both emotionally and mentally.

I have no idea how you can listen to what Rick said and then listen to what the therapist said and think "yes, Rick is clearly the rational one in this situation".

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Didn't love this episode. I mean rick taking over a cockroach brain was good and I mean, him killing dudes as a pickle was fun and all, but the therapy scenes seemed pretty canned outside the poop-eating lines. The pickle scenes were a little sparse with jokes too - rick by himself isn't quite the same as him on an adventure with morty or something. Jaguar was great but not featured all that heavily. I find myself not caring about their family's trauma and I'd rather just see them go on wacky adventures, personally. One of the weakest IMO, though not as bad as "show me what you got".

I thought it was an important distinction. We got to see Rick cut lose, and it was insanely violent and self-congratulatory. Without Morty around to go "Ah jeez Rick I don't think we should be doing this you know?" that's probably how 99% of Rick's escapades go.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pickle Rick was my favorite episode, gently caress the haters.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The bricolage in this series is unparalled.

The designers (like Typical. Especially Typical) are at the top of the game for sure!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I had no idea why any of you would give a poo poo about Rick and Morty's terrible fanbase but holy poo poo this rabbit hole owns actually.

I too side with the emotionally numb hosed up god, he's just so cool!

Also, side note, it reeeeally stung that the one time Beth & Rick finally make plans to bond is getting sloshed together. Hooofah.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy poo poo it must suck for Typical and mutata to read this thread. Although I guess they'd have pretty thick skin by now when it comes to random internet comments.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
A part of me wonders if the scene with the therapist is Dan Harmon changing his views on therapy. The reason I say this is that he has previously gone on record saying he doesn't believe in things like autism since he thinks it's just trying to make everyone the same and had that be the moral of a series of shorts he once did about imaginary creatures. Perhaps this is unfair to the man, but I wonder how much of what Rick said was what Dan would used to say and how much the return of the therapist was Dan recognizing his own issues.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo it must suck for Typical and mutata to read this thread. Although I guess they'd have pretty thick skin by now when it comes to random internet comments.

Y'alls' conversations don't bug me. I don't participate because having people who work on the thing can easily hijack the conversation about the thing in weird ways and that's not really fair or fun. I'm a fan of media too, though, so I understand the cycle of expectation/realization/disappointment/fulfillment as well as loving a thing for one reason and talking with people who love it for other reasons, etc etc. It's really no big deal, I'm just happy people watch the show and I like to show off my work. :)

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

mutata posted:

It's really no big deal, I'm just happy people watch the show and I like to show off my work. :)

Pickle Rick was a home run, and all three episodes so far have been great. Rick's improvised weapons were perfect.

https://twitter.com/danharmon/status/894648509256744962

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need a refresher but was the show always so violent?

I loved both season 1 and 2 and I of course remember hyper violent episodes or use of blood and whatnot but it seems kinda excessive in season 3 so far.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I loved both season 1 and 2 and I of course remember hyper violent episodes or use of blood and whatnot but it seems kinda excessive in season 3 so far.

Its always been violent. Sometimes the blood is green, I'm not sure why that seems to matter so much.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The very first episode made a joke out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5A5Mb__fiA

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The first episode has Morty shoot an alien in the leg and focuses on him slowly bleeding out. Cronenberg World was also season 1. Season 2 has the purge episode, and according to the episode commentary all the sketches in "Interdimensional Cable 2" ended violently before Dan Harmon stepped in and made Roiland switch things up.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Bureaucrats.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno, I can kinda see the complaint that the show got insanely loving gory out of nowhere. The first two seasons got gory every now and then, but so far out of the three s3 episodes, all three have had at least one moment of really nasty gore; Rickshank Redemption had Rick getting shot in the head, Rickmancing the Stone had Summer splattering Not Immortan Joe and the whole Armothy subplot, and now this episode had Pickle Rick murdering the living loving poo poo out of everything in his path.

It's gone from Black Lagoon levels of violence to Hellsing or Superjail levels of violence, basically.

(e: I should note that I think this is awesome, not bad, but I mean, it's not like I don't see how others would be put off by it.)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 7, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
Rick did say this season was going to dark places.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Covok posted:

A part of me wonders if the scene with the therapist is Dan Harmon changing his views on therapy. The reason I say this is that he has previously gone on record saying he doesn't believe in things like autism since he thinks it's just trying to make everyone the same and had that be the moral of a series of shorts he once did about imaginary creatures. Perhaps this is unfair to the man, but I wonder how much of what Rick said was what Dan would used to say and how much the return of the therapist was Dan recognizing his own issues.

Listening to Harmontown, he's done a 180 on therapy. I'm guessing the divorce was a wake up call.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

mutata posted:

Pickle Rick's necro-mech suit was amazing this episode. Seriously impressive work by all the design and animation team. You guys have been hitting it out of the park all season.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

El Jeffe posted:

Listening to Harmontown, he's done a 180 on therapy. I'm guessing the divorce was a wake up call.

Ah, so I suppose my guess wasn't just random musings.

Also, to be clear, I'm not saying Harmon has the same issues as Rick (I mean, he might, gently caress if I know), but the whole "you use science and knowledge to avoid the reality of your situation and its related problems" sounds like him reconsidering his feelings on therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I dunno, I can kinda see the complaint that the show got insanely loving gory out of nowhere. The first two seasons got gory every now and then, but so far out of the three s3 episodes, all three have had at least one moment of really nasty gore; Rickshank Redemption had Rick getting shot in the head, Rickmancing the Stone had Summer splattering Not Immortan Joe and the whole Armothy subplot, and now this episode had Pickle Rick murdering the living loving poo poo out of everything in his path.

It's gone from Black Lagoon levels of violence to Hellsing or Superjail levels of violence, basically.

(e: I should note that I think this is awesome, not bad, but I mean, it's not like I don't see how others would be put off by it.)

Yeah I remember the culling episode and cronenberg and all that but there were also episodes like the TV ones and whatnot where it was just dumb jokes or homages to famous singers.

Not saying the show is bad or I hated the episodes or whatever, just hoping that they get the hyperviolence outta their systems.