Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I feel like Kite still would have been beaten by Pitou even if the kids weren;t there.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I feel like Kite still would have been beaten by Pitou even if the kids weren;t there.

Oh thats 100%. No matter what he never really had a chance.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I think Kite sucks

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nearing the end of Chimera Ant and its weird (but cool) that Neferpitou is a more heroic character than the protagonist right now

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Nearing the end of Chimera Ant and its weird (but cool) that Neferpitou is a more heroic character than the protagonist right now

Same. I think it's also wierd but cool that [end of king fight spoiler] they loving nuked the guy lmao . I just finished this episode and couldnt believe it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

USA USA USA USA USA

That episode is amazing and I love the "For the first time The King felt fear" line when he can't understand why Netero is laughing.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
I found Pitou to be a huge disappointment character-wise. Never did anything other than because of genes. She was good fodder though

Youpi is the best bugboy

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

EmmyOk posted:

USA USA USA USA USA

That episode is amazing and I love the "For the first time The King felt fear" line when he can't understand why Netero is laughing.

"Because there in his face, was the proof that his words were not empty." :black101:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I came away from that really disliking the Chairman, especially after the flashback that made him seem like a huge jerk

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I came away from that really disliking the Chairman, especially after the flashback that made him seem like a huge jerk

That's the intended effect. He IS a huge jerk. Very very few characters in HxH are wholly good people.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

In what way did he seem like a jerk?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurkeyFried posted:

I found Pitou to be a huge disappointment character-wise. Never did anything other than because of genes. She was good fodder though

Youpi is the best bugboy

That isn't really true at all. Pitou got quite a fair bit of development and you can see it almost entirely in the way she treats Gon. She's the one who most began to develop towards the King's changing mindset whereas Pouf fought it and Youpi was all over the place. By the time the encounter with Gon happens Pitou's seemed to develop genuine caring and empathy. Still a royal guard and all but had began to develop more beyond that, which helps plays into the tragedy of what Gon did.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

That's the intended effect. He IS a huge jerk. Very very few characters in HxH are wholly good people.

it was very cool that you really begin to empathize with Meruem even though he's an actual monster who intends to eat humanity

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

In what way did he seem like a jerk?

he loving relishes coming back to the dojo after his ten years of punching and creaming some dude. it's a big tonal shift after setting him up as this monk who has come to some kind of enlightenment after this very long time in solitude. it hammers home that he's into the Hunter Association because it's fun, not because it's a very important organization in a world where things like Chimera Ants come to be

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't really true at all. Pitou got quite a fair bit of development and you can see it almost entirely in the way she treats Gon. She's the one who most began to develop towards the King's changing mindset whereas Pouf fought it and Youpi was all over the place. By the time the encounter with Gon happens Pitou's seemed to develop genuine caring and empathy. Still a royal guard and all but had began to develop more beyond that, which helps plays into the tragedy of what Gon did.

I'd buy it more if she'd had any reasoning to protect Komugi besides Boss' Orders. She also could've showed any sort of remorse at her actions, or at the very least not attempted to kill Gon when he was mourning.

It was a lovely situation all around, but if Pitou had just walked away when Gon was broken on the floor I wouldn't feel so satisfied at her death

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You don't have to like a character for them to have grown as a person.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

it was very cool that you really begin to empathize with Meruem even though he's an actual monster who intends to eat humanity

he loving relishes coming back to the dojo after his ten years of punching and creaming some dude. it's a big tonal shift after setting him up as this monk who has come to some kind of enlightenment after this very long time in solitude. it hammers home that he's into the Hunter Association because it's fun, not because it's a very important organization in a world where things like Chimera Ants come to be

yeah i didn't dislike him but hes very goku. he is specifically looking for fun challenges and "ultimate power" (this is the reason why the dark continent didn't satisfy him, can't really loving fight a disease or whtever).

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I loved that he called Meruem "King of Ants" in the most despective way despite knowing he was way stronger. What a lovable rear end in a top hat old man.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

shine on you crazy old man

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

yeah i didn't dislike him but hes very goku. he is specifically looking for fun challenges and "ultimate power" (this is the reason why the dark continent didn't satisfy him, can't really loving fight a disease or whtever).

bet he'd have gone if he knew there were a zoldick and freecs there

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

TurkeyFried posted:

shine on you crazy old man

verdict's in:

hes good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like how during the fight there was a smaller fight where they try and out condescend each other.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Netero is just the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurkeyFried posted:

I'd buy it more if she'd had any reasoning to protect Komugi besides Boss' Orders. She also could've showed any sort of remorse at her actions, or at the very least not attempted to kill Gon when he was mourning.

It was a lovely situation all around, but if Pitou had just walked away when Gon was broken on the floor I wouldn't feel so satisfied at her death

Character growth wouldn't have been "letting a threat to the person she cares most about in the world continue to be a threat just because she feels bad for him." That would have made no sense. She did feel bad for Gon and she even admitted it and apologized to him which is an INCREDIBLY stark contrast to how she acted earlier. It's also important to note that she never got to reencounter the king and effectively what development she did have was brutally cut off when she got her skull beaten in.

The Ants arc isn't about bad people becoming good people, it is about monsters becoming humans and humans becoming monsters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TurkeyFried posted:

She tries to protect Komugi both because of Meruem's orders, but also because she views Komugi as important to the King. Even stating that if Komugi were to die then Meruem simply would not be himself anymore.

Pitou did apologize to Gon twice. First was when she saw Kite and recognized him, stating he was dead and nothing could be done for him, upon which she apologized. After that she healed her arm and stated that she needed to kill Gon for the King as she felt he was too big a threat and apologizing again.

You can blame Pouf for the attempt to kill Gon. Pitou rightfully felt that Gon was a huge threat and dangerous, every moment she spent with him his attitude and eyes just convinced her more that he should be gotten rid of. But Komugi's safety was more important, Pouf lied to Pitou and impersonated Komugi made it seem like she was safe and in their hands.

Honestly once Pitou had thought Komugi was safe, she had no reason to go along with Gon, and could have just attacked him there. But attempted to keep her promise anyway until she learned she could not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The most interesting thing about the Chimera Ant arc is that it's basically about humanity.

The Ants don't change by coming good people but by becoming human. That however isn't the same as becoming good people. Merium could have become a tyrant, though possibly attempted to become a benevolent one... but we spend a good long time learning about Not North Korea and it isn't being a Chimera Ant that cause that.The big thing that defeats Merium isn't the best in humanity but the fact that humanity mass produces poison nuclear weapons capable of killing an insanely strong nen-superbeing. Merium is killed not because humanity is better than him but because they are worse than him. Yet at the same time it isn't pure nihilism because Merium also dies a human being and not a mindless animal because he got to spend time and see the other parts of humanity too. Becoming human doesn't mean becoming a good or bad person. It just means becoming something other than an animal.

And importantly it works. Super God Ant-Man Cell spends his last moments playing Go with a blind girl and god damned if it isn't incredibly heart-tugging.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kind of hosed up that Komugi chooses death when she could have left after a couple of games and lived but hey

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Netero was as human as they come. First and foremost, the one thing he wanted was a good loving fight. In cheese knows how many decades, he never got that. Not from the assholes from that dojo, not from Maha or Zeno Zoldyck. If I don't completely misremember, the Zodiacs were Netero's “playmates” because, regardless of whatever accomplishments they achieved, the reason he kept them around was that they could entertain him, and I'm guessing it was a situation similar to what he subjected Gon and Killua to (he was loving with them for shits 'n giggles).

Pariston and Ging were probably his favorite Zodiacs because of their overall attitude. But he never got a fight like the one he had with Maha's dad / Zeno's grandpa. That's his deal. He wanted to get into a good loving scrap. And that's what Meruem gave him.

And despite losing, he was satisfied. Afterwards, he fulfilled his obligation. If there's a character that deserves a smilie, is Netero, because while appropriate, I feel that :black101: does not encompass the madness of Netero.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

mabels big day posted:

Kind of hosed up that Komugi chooses death when she could have left after a couple of games and lived but hey

It's pretty obvious that by that time their bond is so strong they would rather die than to live without the other though.

Or I guess Meruem would've gone on a continent wide murder spree.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Eej posted:

It's pretty obvious that by that time their bond is so strong they would rather die than to live without the other though.

She knew him for a few days at most. If anything, she was simply brainwashed by growing up in North Korea.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
she said her entire purpose in life is shougi and here comes this king who only wants to play it with her all day and night of course she'll probably fall in love with the guy

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm sad Neferpitou is gone because she really was the most interesting Chimera Ant

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

Also she probably was going to die from radiationpoison due to close contact with him anyway, so. Not like leaving would have helped.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

Meruem told Komugi he was slowly killing her after she had already taken a fatal dose. She didn't really have a choice. It also doesn't help that he was disguised as Great Leader and even tried fighting away Killua when he was trying to protect her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TurkeyFried posted:

Meruem told Komugi he was slowly killing her after she had already taken a fatal dose. She didn't really have a choice. It also doesn't help that he was disguised as Great Leader and even tried fighting away Killua when he was trying to protect her.

Uh no. Other people came in Contact with Meruem and did not die. She would have been fine had she left.

She had no idea Killua was trying to protect her. Pitou and Merum were trying to. And they pretty much had her as a hostage anyway.

The two people it did kill the fastest were weakened and had spent time at ground Zero of the explosion.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I'm sad Neferpitou is gone because she really was the most interesting Chimera Ant

well she was treacherous. not like my boy youpi

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wild Horses posted:

Youpi was not ready for what happened that day, not at all.

Though watching him go from "I respect these humans and will give them a good fight" to "nevermind gently caress these assholes I will kill them all." Was great.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wild Horses posted:

She treached her way into my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Everyone straight up doesn't like pouf?