Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
We assembled a lot of dogs this weekend:

And sprayed a lot of other toys: http://imgur.com/a/bMvJr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Spazz posted:

After riding the struggle bus for 6 months I'm calling it quits with this table saw. I've tried to realign the fence, grind the arbor washer flat, reinforce the fence, rebuild the fence, and I'm still not getting straight rips. It's becoming a safety issue since I had a case of kickback as I was ripping a 2x6.

I'm looking at options but they are all getting more and more expensive so I'm thinking of just picking up a Grizzly G0771Z and taking my old one to the scrap yard. The Grizzly is in my budget and will work well in my garage shop.

If anybody has recommendations before I buy the Grizzly they are welcome, either a different one to buy or options for unfucking my current saw. I'm just sick of the road blocks, safety issues, and general frustration.

If you go for the Grizzly you will not be disappointed. I have the exact same one and have absolutely no complaints. It's a sturdy, precise and well made saw that has the heft of one twice the price. I'd also chime in to say that you should get the extended fence and a link belt to make it feel like a $2k saw.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spazz posted:

After riding the struggle bus for 6 months I'm calling it quits with this table saw. I've tried to realign the fence, grind the arbor washer flat, reinforce the fence, rebuild the fence, and I'm still not getting straight rips. It's becoming a safety issue since I had a case of kickback as I was ripping a 2x6.

I'm looking at options but they are all getting more and more expensive so I'm thinking of just picking up a Grizzly G0771Z and taking my old one to the scrap yard. The Grizzly is in my budget and will work well in my garage shop.

If anybody has recommendations before I buy the Grizzly they are welcome, either a different one to buy or options for unfucking my current saw. I'm just sick of the road blocks, safety issues, and general frustration.

You also have the option of buying used. I bought a used Delta for $150 that came with a good fence. It's a "contractor" style, but pretty heavy and stationary, I sure wouldn't want to wheel it around. Filter on my posts and you'll see the stuff I was looking at, plus pictures of the one I eventually got here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334&userid=116962#post470407948

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Spazz posted:

I had one blade where despite everything being setup right it would just cut wavy crappy cuts, replacing the blade helped there. As for kickback, I'd say you're at a high risk of that even if the saw were adjusted perfectly, since from what I see of the pics it's got no riving knife and a full length fence that can't be set back for ripping, that's kickback town in my book.

Still I wouldn't cart it to the scrap yard, that thing is valuable as is, just the frame, hey there's a solid metal worktable if nothing else. And inside you got an induction motor and pulleys, stuff you have to pay hundreds of bucks for new. Sell it as a fixer upper to someone who is willing to tackle it to recoup losses, or find some other use for it.

I've been on my lookout for a cast iron surface, preferably from a spindle molder, to make into a router table. Might be doable with a table saw top too, I mean it's an oval opening but of the router bit fits through the opening...

Always better options than scrapping it though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh yeah is anyone here good with sound dampening design?

I'm slowly, slowly working on my bigass dust collector that I started in like 2015, I hauled it into place next to the pentz cyclone I also made. The DC sits on the floor because I lack the ceiling height and also the strength and/or equipment to lift this motor above my head, it's like 40-50kg. My next step is to make a filter box that the impeller will vent into. The idea is a simple box with two large filters on it, and one large blast gate that opens up to the outside. That way I can eject the majority of the air outside during summer, or back into the shop during winter, I could even eject some air and return some by varying how open I make the blast gate.

Anyway this DC is quite loud and I am thinking of the neighbors. So I want to suppress it, I am thinking if I could dress up the inside of the filter box like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd2nhNf9Tp8

Alternatively I could make one of these, but it would take up more space, being able to use the filter box as a muffler at the same time would be more space friendly.
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Muffler.cfm

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 7, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I swear Matthias had a video or two on fan housing design that focused on sound reduction, but I had a quick look and cant find it, but maybe you have more luck.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I remember the small dust collector build (I bought those plans and it metamorphosed into this) he used a can or something to get rid of some frequency of noise, but this is altogether on a different level of scale. I could reduce the diameter of the impeller to reduce noise, but I'd rather not do that as my first option.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The final year students at school have their major projects due at the end of the week. While I haven't taught them I've really enjoyed watching the process unfold since the start of the year. If I remember I'll get some photo's of them cause there are some seriously nice bits of furniture coming together.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Oh yeah is anyone here good with sound dampening design?

I'm slowly, slowly working on my bigass dust collector that I started in like 2015, I hauled it into place next to the pentz cyclone I also made. The DC sits on the floor because I lack the ceiling height and also the strength and/or equipment to lift this motor above my head, it's like 40-50kg. My next step is to make a filter box that the impeller will vent into. The idea is a simple box with two large filters on it, and one large blast gate that opens up to the outside. That way I can eject the majority of the air outside during summer, or back into the shop during winter, I could even eject some air and return some by varying how open I make the blast gate.

Anyway this DC is quite loud and I am thinking of the neighbors. So I want to suppress it, I am thinking if I could dress up the inside of the filter box like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd2nhNf9Tp8

Alternatively I could make one of these, but it would take up more space, being able to use the filter box as a muffler at the same time would be more space friendly.
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Muffler.cfm

There are some guys that post in the Fix it Fast thread that I'd swear a few months ago were pros at noise and sound dampening. Well also, I think the mod that posts there is a sound engineer. You might ask there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
A while ago I was in here asking for advice on hanging a floating mantel on a brick fireplace. I think I pushed the limits of what a French cleat can/should do, but ultimately this turned out exactly how I wanted and better than I expected.

Background: here's a crappy picture of what I'm working with underneath the thin-brick veneer (cement board not installed yet) on my fireplace.

My plan: laminate (6) red oak 1x6s together with a void in the back to recess a French cleat. I left the top two boards whole, then used a jigsaw to cut some chunks out of boards 3-5.

All glued up and edges softened with a new router

Glueing the upper part of the cleat inside the mantel.

Attaching the cleat to the wall: I had a nagging thought in my head this whole time that this was going to sink the project. In order for the cleat to actually recess into the mantel, the flat part that touches the wall was only ~3/4" tall. There's barely any surface area to keep the cleat from twisting/pulling off the wall. This was also being mounted on an uneven brick surface with a lack of studs to drill into. I ended up putting some large fender washers between the cleat and brick to provide somewhat of a flatter surface. This also pulled the cleat out from the wall slightly, which helped the mantel slide down further/more secure on the cleat. The outer 2 lag screws on each side were able to catch those wood studs. Throughout the middle I used some Tapcon concrete anchors to hopefully provide a little support gripping onto the mortar and cement board. As it turns out, my mounting location was right in line with the horizontal steel stud in my first picture, so ultimately I was able to get pretty solid connections across the board.

The fireplace is slightly bowed in the middle, so it took a little patience to get it situated. Once on, though, this thing locked into place and is rock solid. It should be fairly easy to take off, if needed, with a few taps from a mallet. It doesn't droop down in the front or anything and the only permanent "damage" to the fireplace is completely within a single grout line. I'm pumped.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

That looks really nice man. Well done.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Real good solution there, thanks for the detailed pictures.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Thanks for the recommendations. I got this thing along with a whole shop lot of other tools for $650, negotiated down from $1k due to working conditions. I've seen the exact same model for $100 used about 45 minutes away, which I almost picked up for parts and the motor.

My current table saw is an American Machine and Tool 4571 with a 18amp 1.5hp single phase motor. When I picked it up for the first time it was covered in surface rust, the lift barely moved due to gunk, and it took several evenings with WD-40, oil, and scouring pads to clean up the rust.

The fence is a lightweight and aluminum, but has nothing to reinforce it along the pathway. It only locks on the far end through tension, and the problem is that it's very easy to lock out of alignment. I've probably put 20-30 hours cumulatively into fixing this thing up and getting it aligned right, which is far more than I would have tolerated for any other tool.

Here's all the poo poo I've done. Ahead of this I had completely disassembled the entire lift, tilt, and trunnion to remove rust buildup. I swapped all the bearings that did not spin freely and oiled/waxed all parts to prevent rust, along with some white lithium grease for the worm gears that control the lift/tilt.

- Cleaned fence rails of all gunk, oiled, and waxed so it slides smoothly and without resistance.
- Fine tuned tension screw on locking end which adjusts the lever that locks in place on the far end.
- Confirming the original blade is properly aligned.
- Replaced with a Freud Fusion 10T blade, which may be hosed from crooked rips.
- Reinforced the aluminum fence with hardwood.
- Reinforced on BOTH sides with hardwood and UMHW since things weren't sliding afterwards.
- Ground the arbor washers on both side to ensure they are flat (followed Mathias Wandell's guide.

The only way I have gotten a perfectly straight rip is when I spend the time setting up the fence just right by gently tapping it into being square, and I don't have the patience to continue dealing with that kind of finicky tool when safety is at risk. Kickback is always going to be an risk, but with a good riving knife and square fence it's lesser and I won't have as much frustration.

For what it's worth, when I say "take it to the scrap yard", I mean harvest as much usable stuff from the underside as possible and take the rest to the scrap yard for some change. The motor, pulley, vbelt, lift, switch, etc. are all usable in other projects or will be shelved until I have a need for them.

Given that I've put in all this time and my next steps are becoming more expensive or time consuming, I'm ready to call it a day and get the Grizzly. I'll tear down the one I have so it can be off to the side, but I already have a decent Bosch router table and could easily put one into the Grizzly.

I'm just worried about continuing to suffer from the sunk cost fallacy.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Mr Executive posted:

A while ago I was in here asking for advice on hanging a floating mantel on a brick fireplace. I think I pushed the limits of what a French cleat can/should do, but ultimately this turned out exactly how I wanted and better than I expected.

Background: here's a crappy picture of what I'm working with underneath the thin-brick veneer (cement board not installed yet) on my fireplace.

My plan: laminate (6) red oak 1x6s together with a void in the back to recess a French cleat. I left the top two boards whole, then used a jigsaw to cut some chunks out of boards 3-5.

All glued up and edges softened with a new router

Glueing the upper part of the cleat inside the mantel.

Attaching the cleat to the wall: I had a nagging thought in my head this whole time that this was going to sink the project. In order for the cleat to actually recess into the mantel, the flat part that touches the wall was only ~3/4" tall. There's barely any surface area to keep the cleat from twisting/pulling off the wall. This was also being mounted on an uneven brick surface with a lack of studs to drill into. I ended up putting some large fender washers between the cleat and brick to provide somewhat of a flatter surface. This also pulled the cleat out from the wall slightly, which helped the mantel slide down further/more secure on the cleat. The outer 2 lag screws on each side were able to catch those wood studs. Throughout the middle I used some Tapcon concrete anchors to hopefully provide a little support gripping onto the mortar and cement board. As it turns out, my mounting location was right in line with the horizontal steel stud in my first picture, so ultimately I was able to get pretty solid connections across the board.

The fireplace is slightly bowed in the middle, so it took a little patience to get it situated. Once on, though, this thing locked into place and is rock solid. It should be fairly easy to take off, if needed, with a few taps from a mallet. It doesn't droop down in the front or anything and the only permanent "damage" to the fireplace is completely within a single grout line. I'm pumped.

This is great. I turned down installing a mantle on a brick fireplace because I had no idea how to go about it. It looks fantastic.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Tev posted:

That looks really nice man. Well done.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Real good solution there, thanks for the detailed pictures.

Agreeing with all that -- very nice job.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Spazz posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I got this thing along with a whole shop lot of other tools for $650, negotiated down from $1k due to working conditions. I've seen the exact same model for $100 used about 45 minutes away, which I almost picked up for parts and the motor.

My current table saw is an American Machine and Tool 4571 with a 18amp 1.5hp single phase motor. When I picked it up for the first time it was covered in surface rust, the lift barely moved due to gunk, and it took several evenings with WD-40, oil, and scouring pads to clean up the rust.

The fence is a lightweight and aluminum, but has nothing to reinforce it along the pathway. It only locks on the far end through tension, and the problem is that it's very easy to lock out of alignment. I've probably put 20-30 hours cumulatively into fixing this thing up and getting it aligned right, which is far more than I would have tolerated for any other tool.

Here's all the poo poo I've done. Ahead of this I had completely disassembled the entire lift, tilt, and trunnion to remove rust buildup. I swapped all the bearings that did not spin freely and oiled/waxed all parts to prevent rust, along with some white lithium grease for the worm gears that control the lift/tilt.

- Cleaned fence rails of all gunk, oiled, and waxed so it slides smoothly and without resistance.
- Fine tuned tension screw on locking end which adjusts the lever that locks in place on the far end.
- Confirming the original blade is properly aligned.
- Replaced with a Freud Fusion 10T blade, which may be hosed from crooked rips.
- Reinforced the aluminum fence with hardwood.
- Reinforced on BOTH sides with hardwood and UMHW since things weren't sliding afterwards.
- Ground the arbor washers on both side to ensure they are flat (followed Mathias Wandell's guide.

The only way I have gotten a perfectly straight rip is when I spend the time setting up the fence just right by gently tapping it into being square, and I don't have the patience to continue dealing with that kind of finicky tool when safety is at risk. Kickback is always going to be an risk, but with a good riving knife and square fence it's lesser and I won't have as much frustration.

For what it's worth, when I say "take it to the scrap yard", I mean harvest as much usable stuff from the underside as possible and take the rest to the scrap yard for some change. The motor, pulley, vbelt, lift, switch, etc. are all usable in other projects or will be shelved until I have a need for them.

Given that I've put in all this time and my next steps are becoming more expensive or time consuming, I'm ready to call it a day and get the Grizzly. I'll tear down the one I have so it can be off to the side, but I already have a decent Bosch router table and could easily put one into the Grizzly.

I'm just worried about continuing to suffer from the sunk cost fallacy.

It does sound like you've gotten the saw into fine shape, aside from the fence. If it works as well as you say maybe see if you can sell it and put the money towards the best table saw you can find, with the extra $$$ perhaps you can step up from hybrid to real cabinet saw.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Anyone do any spoon carving? I'm having a heck of a time sanding the inside of the bowl smooth. Not sure if there's some fancy trick to it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Falcon2001 posted:

Anyone do any spoon carving? I'm having a heck of a time sanding the inside of the bowl smooth. Not sure if there's some fancy trick to it.

I feel like maybe attach some sand paper to like a tennis ball or something?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

It does sound like you've gotten the saw into fine shape, aside from the fence. If it works as well as you say maybe see if you can sell it and put the money towards the best table saw you can find, with the extra $$$ perhaps you can step up from hybrid to real cabinet saw.

Putting a 220V line into my garage isn't an option and would add on more cost overall, and I'd rather not put more money into things like that where I will not recoup the expense when selling the house. My fiancee and I are trying to only be here for another few years before we ditch the area.

I'd be uneasy about passing it on to someone who doesn't know what they're doing. The wrong idiot tries to rip a 4x4 full depth of cut they're going to have a missile shooting across their shop. I see similar makes/models on Craigslist for varying prices but there's no guarantee it would sell.

Nonetheless, I appreciate all the input and ideas all of you have given. It will most likely not land in the scrap yard, just an unused corner of my shop until I sell or find a use for a big heavy cast iron surface.

Until then it will sit there in shame, knowing it can't make a straight rip.

vvv White chalk pencil vvv

Spazz fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 8, 2017

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Falcon2001 posted:

I never have, but maybe try a foam pad wrapped in sand paper.

Can anyone recommend a good white or light pencil. I work with walnut a lot and cant see poo poo when using a normal pencil. My kid's colored pencils dont work for poo poo either.

mds2 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 8, 2017

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I just got access to an old workshop I can use and there is an old, working, bandsaw. I measured it as there is no blade and it needs a 3.4 meter long band. Is this standard? Where in the U.K. Can I get one this big as screwfix and places like that seem to have 2m ish bands.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spazz posted:

Putting a 220V line into my garage isn't an option and would add on more cost overall, and I'd rather not put more money into things like that where I will not recoup the expense when selling the house. My fiancee and I are trying to only be here for another few years before we ditch the area.

I'd be uneasy about passing it on to someone who doesn't know what they're doing. The wrong idiot tries to rip a 4x4 full depth of cut they're going to have a missile shooting across their shop. I see similar makes/models on Craigslist for varying prices but there's no guarantee it would sell.

Nonetheless, I appreciate all the input and ideas all of you have given. It will most likely not land in the scrap yard, just an unused corner of my shop until I sell or find a use for a big heavy cast iron surface.

Until then it will sit there in shame, knowing it can't make a straight rip.

vvv White chalk pencil vvv

People buy and sell those kind of saws all the time, no one's going to try to rip a 4x4 without something like a 12" blade anyhow. You get a table saw with the knowledge you're using a powerful, yet dangerous machine that demands respect. Like a car, ok? You're overthinking the whole drat thing. And there's fence upgrades all over the place.

mds2 posted:

I never have, but maybe try a foam pad wrapped in sand paper.

Can anyone recommend a good white or light pencil. I work with walnut a lot and cant see poo poo when using a normal pencil. My kid's colored pencils dont work for poo poo either.

Those white artist crayon things kind of worked for me. Or finepoint chalk maybe?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Charcoal in White Chalk color, even... :)

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Yo so I managed to finish my latest woodworking project a while ago

It turned out decently well, however I slightly sanded through the polyurethane in a couple of corner areas while preparing the box for polishing. You can actually see the finish broken in the image, between the flower graphic and the handle. Now, I don't mind the fact that the finish is broken in the aesthetic sense, but I'm a little worried that moisture might get through those spots.

What do you think is the best course of action? Should I try to fix the finish with a small brush and thinned polyurethane in those sanded-through areas to seal the wood again? I don't expect that fix to look pretty, just that it's functional. Or should I do it the hard way and apply another 5 coats of polyurethane and do the finish all over again? I'd like to avoid the latter because it's a lot of work

Third option would be to let the box be the way it is and not fiddle with it too much. Are those sanded-through areas actually going to cause me any problems?

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 8, 2017

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

thegasman2000 posted:

I just got access to an old workshop I can use and there is an old, working, bandsaw. I measured it as there is no blade and it needs a 3.4 meter long band. Is this standard? Where in the U.K. Can I get one this big as screwfix and places like that seem to have 2m ish bands.

Check out Tuffsaws, they got any size you need:
http://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=4

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So my bandsaw that I bought months ago is working out pretty well; but it didn't come with a rip fence of any kind and I'm probably going to need to do that - any recommendations for bandsaw rip fences? I've got the Craftsman 14" bandsaw if there's compatability issues.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I think I'm officially a Japanese saw person now. I bought this ryoba a while ago and used it for most of my "rough" cutting. However I've been practicing dovetails/joinery using these saws from Lee Valley. I was struggling a lot with those and I liked the ryoba so much so I decided to order this saw and holy poo poo does anyone want to buy my backsaws (and bowsaw)?

The difference in cut quality is astonishing and when the blade on the Japanese saw gets dull you can just buy another one. Forget all that "now you have to learn how to sharpen a saw" nonsense. The more I get into this hobby the more I'm astonished by some of the incredibly bad advice given out to newcomers. The bang / buck ratio on the japanese saws is astonishing and it doesn't take much thought and practice to acclimatize to the pull vs push motion.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tres Burritos posted:

The more I get into this hobby the more I'm astonished by some of the incredibly bad advice given out to newcomers.
               /

I actually have a question about if something is salvageable or not, I will return with pictures versus just sass.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Rather than buying a saw, take a few passes off this piece of oak with a #4 (the only plane you'll ever need), and hammer a row of nails into it.

e: really though, Japanese saws are great. Sharpening saws isn't super difficult if you're starting from good quality already-sharp western saws though. I do think that the advice to go buy an old Disston handsaw or something similar to learn to sharpen on is awful. Sharpening is vastly more approachable if you learn on something that's already 90% sharp and set up correctly. It might feel like you're going to mangle your expensive/functional saw, but you really won't.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 10, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tres Burritos posted:

Forget all that "now you have to learn how to sharpen a saw" nonsense. The more I get into this hobby the more I'm astonished by some of the incredibly bad advice given out to newcomers.

I think that's an old woodworking tradition, because I recall being sent to fetch a boardstretcher, North-pointed nails (because these ones point the wrong way) and some other snipe (the mythical animal, not the planing mishap) by an oldtimer, and tell me, who are we to buck tradition?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Tres Burritos posted:

I think I'm officially a Japanese saw person now. I bought this ryoba a while ago and used it for most of my "rough" cutting. However I've been practicing dovetails/joinery using these saws from Lee Valley. I was struggling a lot with those and I liked the ryoba so much so I decided to order this saw and holy poo poo does anyone want to buy my backsaws (and bowsaw)?

The difference in cut quality is astonishing and when the blade on the Japanese saw gets dull you can just buy another one. Forget all that "now you have to learn how to sharpen a saw" nonsense. The more I get into this hobby the more I'm astonished by some of the incredibly bad advice given out to newcomers. The bang / buck ratio on the japanese saws is astonishing and it doesn't take much thought and practice to acclimatize to the pull vs push motion.

If you have the full sized tenon saw I'd consider buying it. The veritas saws are very good.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah, what've you got? I have both of the dovetail saws, but I'd be happy to have the larger ones, too.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Oh I've got all three in the link, also the sharpening jigs. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Go for it ColdPie, I've got the fine dovetail and the carcass sized crosscut and rip. While I'd like the tenon saw it would require me to rearrange my tool chest.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'd rather have a traditional saw and sharpen it. Throw away and buy new concept is the antithesis of everything I want to accomplish in my shop / life.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

I've been eyeing that tenon saw as well. I have the dovetail saw and love it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm using a husky saw and I need an upgrade.

The sharpening jig I'm using came free with the Narex chisels.

If someone beat me to the punch, so be it, but I've got a new house and I'm hoping to snag some tools to make this into a badass home.

I talked the girlfriend into taking the car port. The garage is all mine. :getin:

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Background:
I have been tasked with building a tortoise shelter.
- It will be indoors and inside a terrarium.
- All it really has to do is provide a dark, enclosed space.

Issue(s):
- It will sit in ocassionally-damp soil, and it could get munched on by tortoises. Tortoises are dumb.

Questions:
- Does standard Lowes/HD SPF lumber have anything added to it that'd make a creature sick?

- Am I right in thinking that--regardless of the fact all post-leaded-drier finishes are "food safe"--the fact that a tortoise might actually eat some of the finish means I should use something "natural" like shellac? Anything that needs reapplication is a no go.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I would use raw wood, no finish or stain. It'll rot eventually, but it should be safer. Use a fine-grained wood like cherry or maple if possible, but big-box pine is probably fine. No pressure-treated wood of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cypress? Somebody put up the wormil signal.