Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Slowly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kinda surprised we have not heard anything about the Jade Helm exercises this year. For some reason it went by without any notice.

:thunk:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/894217101656850432

Zil posted:

Kinda surprised we have not heard anything about the Jade Helm exercises this year. For some reason it went by without any notice.

Haven't you heard? Agenda 21 has moved on to the cities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://conservativemove.com/

Lol this is a website to help conservatives from across America move to Collin County.

quote:

Collin County is home to some of America's best cities, including: McKinney, Frisco, Plano, Allen and many more.

Lol

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Everything about that site is exactly what you'd expect that site to be.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Zil posted:

It was never a big story and, in an atypical fashion, got overblown. There were only a handful of conspiracy theorists who were making big deal about Jade Helm, but it got a of lot coverage because it was a slow news week at the time, and the news media is like a group of lemming, when one of them reports something they all start reporting something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Back Hack posted:

It was never a big story and, in an atypical fashion, got overblown. There were only a handful of conspiracy theorists who were making big deal about Jade Helm, but it got a of lot coverage because it was a slow news week at the time, and the news media is like a group of lemming, when one of them reports something they all start reporting something.

It got a lot of coverage because the Governor of the State of Texas gave credence to it by saying he was going to task state officials and maybe the NG to monitor it to make sure Obama didn't try to forcibly take over the state and make all the women have abortion and all the men do gay kisses with each other.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

After the fact, not before.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Back Hack posted:

After the fact, not before.

I don't think it's the media's fault that the governor decided to indulge a bunch of crazy people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah another mind deluded by the MSM.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

It got a lot of coverage because the Governor of the State of Texas gave credence to it by saying he was going to task state officials and maybe the NG to monitor it to make sure Obama didn't try to forcibly take over the state and make all the women have abortion and all the men do gay kisses with each other.
Funny story there. He tasked the head of the Texas State Guard to monitor it, which in practice meant texting the U.S. military commander in charge of the exercise with "hey bud I'm monitoring the exercise I wanna let you know" / "k thx." And that was pretty much the extent of the monitoring. But it complied with the governor's orders so A-OK!

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

zoux posted:

Lol this is a website to help conservatives from across America move to Collin County.

Lol

That district definitely voted Hillary in 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quandary posted:

That district definitely voted Hillary in 2016

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

Lol

No goddammit there's too many of them here already.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Collin County has been a rock-red conservative bastion since the dinosaurs roamed the earth but woo wee look at the 2016 shift. Kinda feels like Williamson County which is getting more diverse and more populated.

Anyways, at the rate we're going, DFW's urban sprawl will continue all the way to Oklahoma, so plenty of room to suck in right-wing nuclear families after the great anti-Trump jihad of 2030 purges them from the coasts: http://www.dentonrc.com/news/news/2014/01/18/building-debt

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 7, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Yeah Collin County has been a rock-red conservative bastion since the dinosaurs roamed the earth but woo wee look at the 2016 shift. Kinda feels like Williamson County which is getting more diverse and more populated.

You could probably blame most of that on Donnie, rather than shifting demographics.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Keeshhound posted:

You could probably blame most of that on Donnie, rather than shifting demographics.
Most of it, yeah, but the demographic shift is real. Clinton's results in Collin County in 2016 is the best since 1976 and the Democratic share of the vote has been gradually ticking upward. Political change is slow, however.

I think the above chart is the congressional district?

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 7, 2017

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I feel like here is the best thread to talk about this, though it could also survive comfortably if boringly and predictably in the bad democrats thread.

https://twitter.com/statesman/status/894983526864609280

quote:

AUSTIN, Texas
Democrats haven't won a Texas governor's race in nearly three decades, but a booming Hispanic population and the party's dominance of the state's largest cities have made them willing to invest in the contest to keep hopes of an eventual resurgence alive.

After high-profile candidates lost decisively in the last two elections, though, the party now finds itself in unprecedented territory for the 2018 ballot: with no major candidate to run.

Democratic leaders haven't yet lined up a substantial name to represent the party and its message despite months of trying. Any continued faith in a Democratic turnaround in Texas is now colliding with pessimism that it will happen anytime soon.

"If they didn't have somebody running for governor it'd be a symbol that they've given up," said Brandon Rottinghaus, a political science professor at the University of Houston.

And the lack of a serious 2018 candidate, following the dismal showing of the Democrats in the 2010 and 2014 governor's races, could make it harder to capitalize later if the political climate improves, as the party expects.

"You run the risk of looking irrelevant," Rottinghaus said.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gee I sure hope the Texas Democrats don't end up looking irrelevant :ohdear:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They should throw a Castro at the problem.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

This is going to be the third time in row, they've totally loving shot themselves in the foot.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I keep seeing this pic floating around of a pickup truck with batty political slogans painted on the rear windshield except it's "TRUMP = TRAITOR." So I think the Democrats should pay whoever drives that to run.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Back Hack posted:

This is going to be the third time in row, they've totally loving shot themselves in the foot.

Uh last time they ran the most prominent candidate they've had since Ann Richards.

e: and the time before that they ran their second most prominent candidate since Richards who they basically dragooned into running.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 8, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

They should throw a Castro at the problem.

They explicitly don't want to run for it.

Back Hack posted:

Yeah the Democrats really need to put together a Dream Team, that should do it!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
People complain about Wendy's campaign.
Tex Dem party responds by running nobody.
Can't blame Battleground Texas for this one.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I will run for governor tell the democrat party to get in touch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comrayn posted:

the democrat party

Gah! noooooo

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Gah! noooooo

Still lollin that people got all mad about John Cornyn saying "democrat" the other day.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

where do I sign up

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah the Democrats really need to put together a Dream Team, that should do it!
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/895096205071593478

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/cubbie9000/status/894924394283270144

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There's a scene in Transmetropolitan (which hasn't aged that well as a comic IMO) where people are cryogenically frozen and wake up in the dystopian, cyberpunk future and are promptly kicked out onto the street by the company which put them under ice -- and then they see the changes and have to be institutionalized because they go insane. And I'm saying that is basically an Austinite in 1985 transported to 2017.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

There's a scene in Transmetropolitan (which hasn't aged that well as a comic IMO) where people are cryogenically frozen and wake up in the dystopian, cyberpunk future and are promptly kicked out onto the street by the company which put them under ice -- and then they see the changes and have to be institutionalized because they go insane. And I'm saying that is basically an Austinite in 1985 transported to 2017.

I work with a guy who has lived in Georgetown all his life and he talks about how going down 35 the first thing you would see when coming into Austin was the Old San Francisco Steak house.

Yes he is old as hell, but still to think of the changes he has seen driving down 35 to downtown over the years.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Zil posted:

I work with a guy who has lived in Georgetown all his life and he talks about how going down 35 the first thing you would see when coming into Austin was the Old San Francisco Steak house.

Yes he is old as hell, but still to think of the changes he has seen driving down 35 to downtown over the years.

One, you're using the word driving with I35 instead of parking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PhilPrazan/status/895349002589409286

Woooo! Except it's not even MLS, it's second tier pro American soccer. And they're gonna build the stadium at CotA.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
At least House Park made it convenient and cheap to see the Aztex.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Austin Texas: Where everything is too expensive and inconvenient.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

Austin Texas: Where everything is too expensive and inconvenient.

Keep Austin Inconvenient.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PhilPrazan/status/895349002589409286

Woooo! Except it's not even MLS, it's second tier pro American soccer. And they're gonna build the stadium at CotA.

Lol, it's like they are engineering that poo poo to fail before a game actually happens. Who the hell is going to want to go all the way out there in the middle of summer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
House Park was convenient for me when I lived in Austin but also pretty bare bones. I imagine land is cheap out there and that's where a lot of future expansion is going to come and also settle lots of soccer parents with kids. The Austin metro will expand gloriously all the way to Bastrop!