Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Hinoka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Hinoka

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Little Tommy Pickl- I mean Hinoka.

Yea, still can't get that voice out of my head when she speaks.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Charlotte because their support is great.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Charlotte

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Charlotte

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Yes.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Charlotte.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Charlotte needs to be queen bitch of Nohr.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's Charlotte.

I see she's not even changing her title of adopted royalty of nohr from last time

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I saw you defeat a Faceless with only your fists.

Seigbert is probably the one kid I avoid getting even when Xander is very easily married on my normal playthroughs.

And that's because I hate his map.

Hmph, yes. I hope Siegbert is well. It's been too long since my last visit.

*Siegbert arrives to their location*

Father? Is that you? By the gods, you've returned!
Siegbert, my son. You've grown since last I saw you.
I just can't believe it—you're actually really and truly here!
Sorry, Father. I don't mean to get so carried away. It's just that... I receive missives that update me on all the important things you're doing. Every time I get one, I wish I could hear it all from you. But I know how busy you are.
I'm sorry, Son. I hope you haven't been too disappointed in me.
No...

Where Ryoma pretty much left Shiro in the dark to the point that he didn't know what a Hoshido was, Xander's been given reports throughout Seig's childhood.

Besides, I've been very busy myself. My studies of diplomacy, politesse, etiquette—the arts of conversation... Practicing my swordsmanship, even my penmanship... All of these lessons keep me busy from dawn until dusk—I even dream it!

So in some ways, that's why Seigbert is the opposite of Shiro: Diligent, respectful, a nerd.

I see. How impressive. May I prove worthy of such a diligent son.
Father, please don't say such a...

*Two enemies suddenly appear*

They're back!

*Seigbert kills both*

They return today of all days? At this very moment? drat them.
Don't worry, Father! I'll take care of them immediately! *leaves*

This is the worst case scenario of a rout mission. First, the terrain sucks. Second, enemies infinitely respawn until you use a Dragon Vein, kinda like the last map. Except you HAVE to activate all the Dragon Veins.

And reminder that we're in Conquest era now, so all the respawn enemies have Void Curse, preventing any EXP from killing them. Because Conquest gonna Conquest.

Tae fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 9, 2017

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Xander named his kid after his sword :downs:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Charlottes living the dream :allears:

Too bad her son is boring as dirt this time around

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

His one true love.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Charlotte becoming Queen of Nohr is absolutely the best outcome for her

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Siegbert may be boring but at least he's less of a caricature than most characters in Fates.

Also I'm glad Charlotte finally got what's rightfully hers.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So, Ryoma is incredibly negligent, whilst Xander may have slightly overdone it from the sound of the reports and stuff, but at least he actually tried despite the "leaving child in a deeprealm" thing. That the long and short of it?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Oh, hey, a parent who isn't absolutely despicable in every way! I mean, at least Xander keeps in contact with his kid even outside of his visits. That's WAY more than anyone else we've seen, and may in fact qualify him as Fates' Best Parent (admittedly not a high bar to clear).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

List of kids so far that love their parent:
-Kana
-Shigure
-Sophie
-Midori
-Kiragi
-Selkie
-Caeldori
-Seigbert
-Ophelia
-Soleil

List of kids so far that hate or are abandoned by their parent:
-Shiro
-Asugi
-Hisame
-Forrest
-Percy
-Rhajat

Does not give a gently caress
-Mitama
-Dwyer

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The hilarious part about the intro to Siegbert's paralogue is that the scene hangs for a minute on Leo's sprite just sitting there while Xander rushes off to save his son. No dialogue or anything, just Leo sitting there in the forest watching his brother run off. I have no idea why that happens either; my guess is that maybe they planned for Leo to drop a quip or some other comment on the situation, but never got around to doing so.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I think Odin and Lazlo are both solid parents because they've already seen what happens when you aren't there.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

Nina, not Ophelia. Ophelia is Odin's kid. But seriously, what the hell with the changes?

Can I just requote myself from like ten or so pages back about how I think the people who oversaw this translation project were, at minimum complete idiots?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cdyoung posted:

Can I just requote myself from like ten or so pages back about how I think the people who oversaw this translation project were, at minimum complete idiots?

I think they just couldn't care.

And I can't blame them.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Both lines "smile I...well... *sigh*" (this one is in Charlotte's support with Xander, the smiling portrait is broken) and "Siegberthurt: They're back!" are missing portraits.

And it's nice that Xander kept up with his kid, at least. Considering that there's reports, he probably sent Siegbert letters or something. :)

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Heaven Spacey posted:

He's Siegbert, not Siegfried.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can anyone point to a website with the Japanese supports or anything? I'd much prefer reading them directly instead of just getting it secondhand.

Healbot posted:

He's Siegbert, not Siegfried.

Yup, nothing similar about those names at all!

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Speaking of which, I was surprised the other day to see Jakob in Fire Emblem Heroes but not, say, Kaze. Then I remembered the various Japanese popularity polls and, to my complete surprise, he was THE next most popular character after the usual suspects (Takumi/Leo/Xander/Elise/FCorrin) on multiple polls. From what I've seen so far, his character seems dry as cardboard and certainly not more interesting of a personality than, say, Silas. Yet he's beating out MCorrin and Ryoma -- which, while being faint praise, is still much higher than Jakob's cardboard-level supports deserve.

Was he given more and better characterization in the Japanese version that got cut or something? Why's he so popular there? His post-combat butler bow animation is pretty incredible, though.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 9, 2017

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

RareAcumen posted:

Can anyone point to a website with the Japanese supports or anything? I'd much prefer reading them directly instead of just getting it secondhand.

Yup, nothing similar about those names at all!

Christoph, meet Christian.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jakob is only sweet and kind to Corrin. He is Deadpool levels of rear end in a top hat to literally everyone else, including his son.

Jakob talks to Frederick posted:

Hey, jerk. What's the big idea?!
Are you talking to me? What have I done to earn such rudeness from you?
Huh? You're the one being rude! You keep looking at Lord Corrin like he's up to no good!
I am only doing my duty in protecting milord from any kind of harm. It is only natural to be suspicious of a person I have never met.
As a royal knight, I cannot afford to simply react to danger. I must anticipate and stop a situation before it can become dangerous.
What you say makes sense, though I resent you seeing Lord Corrin as a threat. So long as we are being honest...
I've been wondering if your "liege" is really a brigand.
What?! You dare insult milord? Does your tongue know no bounds?
You should not be so concerned with how I handle myself! Do we need to resolve this with more than just words?
Hah, surely you jest. I would never take part in such shameful behavior here. I mustn't lose my head in a sign of devotion.
After all, it would be no contest—none can rival my devotion as a retainer.
You seem to be mistaken yet again. I am far more devoted than you could ever be. For example, I've created a custom blend of tea exclusively for my lord.
Ha! That's nothing. The needs of my liege are never, ever far from my mind. When milord decides to travel, I travel ahead and clear any obstacle. Not even the smallest pebble shall trouble milord.
All through the night, I make sure that my lord's rooms are the ideal temperature. Too cold and I add another log to the fire. Too hot and I will quietly crack a window. I do this every night.
Hah, you still do that? I overcame the need to monitor milord's room years ago. I did so by engineering windows that would crack themselves if a room grew too warm.
I also personally chop the logs used in Chrom's fire. The size is never insufficient in providing warmth. They are also pleasing to the eye.
That's a really good idea, actually.
Thank you. That's kind of you to say.
I'm not sure how I feel about your liege yet, but I think we'll get along fine.
I also feel a sort of kinship with you now. You are the first person I've met that I can call my equal. If this wasn't a battlefield, I'd be compelled to continue this conversation.

Tae fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 9, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

facepalmolive posted:

Speaking of which, I was surprised the other day to see Jakob in Fire Emblem Heroes but not, say, Kaze. Then I remembered the various Japanese popularity polls and, to my complete surprise, he was THE next most popular character after the usual suspects (Takumi/Leo/Xander/Elise/FCorrin) on multiple polls. From what I've seen so far, his character seems dry as cardboard and certainly not more interesting of a personality than, say, Silas. Yet he's beating out MCorrin and Ryoma -- which, while being faint praise, is still much higher than Jakob's cardboard-level supports deserve.

Was he given more and better characterization in the Japanese version that got cut or something? Why's he so popular there? His post-combat butler bow animation is pretty incredible, though.

Because to some people who play this game he is the ideal husbando and hits a certain niche.

I think that's the majority of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The localization did really downplay elements of his characterization. In English when he's a dick to other people he still sounds the same for the most part, but in Japanese when he starts being a dick to people he's a total thug and completely drops all pretense of being polite in any aspect of his language, which is funny and memorable. And the localization cut out all of his best lines.

quote:

I do two things: make tea and murder.

quote:

Someone, who isn't me, will help you. Eventually. 'prolly.

quote:

Eh? The hell? You wanna go, old man? I'll kick your rear end, you son of a bitch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

The localization did really downplay elements of his characterization. In English when he's a dick to other people he still sounds the same for the most part, but in Japanese when he starts being a dick to people he's a total thug and completely drops all pretense of being polite in any aspect of his language, which is funny and memorable. And the localization cut out all of his best lines.

Oh, so he turns on the polite while dealing with Nohrian royalty but as soon as he's free of that he slides right back into roughspeech like Charlotte.

Yeah, okay, that is interesting and memorable. Shame we missed out on it.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Endorph posted:

Ok yeah, why did they cut that out? That's a stupid dumb gimmick, but it's a hilarious dumb gimmick. Come to think of it, his FEH portrait looked a bit thuggish as well.

I was mostly thinking him in contrast with Silas, who is also loyal to Corrin and only Corrin. He also did have moments of suspicion towards others (e.g. in his support with Azura I think?), but he's still generally a good guy. He didn't place all that highly on the popularity polls, which would've been closer to what I'd expected for him and Jakob (given what we've seen from his English dialog).

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I doubt it was "cut" rather that the tone of the original dialogue would have taken a bit of care to get across well, and with this translation that wasn't gonna happen.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, he still has his servant to the rich with a seedy underclass side thing going, they just lost his dialect and didn't translate his verbal jabs all that great.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So Seigbert is one of the few kids that have been fighting against Valla soldiers. And unlike say Soleil, he's been soloing them to the point that seeing like 50 at once is when things get out of hand.

This invaders seem to be emerging from the waters itself. Curious. Perhaps there's a way to close those doors. So to speak.

PSkill: Gallant-When user is the support unit, if the lead unit is female, the lead unit’s damage +2

Siggy's PSkill is a very expensive +2 damage for a female character, and he'll have to be because his stats are kinda underwhelming. He's already forgoing defenses with Charlotte as his mom, but his speed isn't exceptional which makes him worse than Sophie in every way.

Like, super average to below average in every stat for someone of his lineage. He has decent skill so the inherited Gamble is better, but that's about it.

Reinforcements from the swamps are unpromoted units with Void Curse, so they are nonthreatening but annoying since you have to kill them regardless. The only benefit is some weapon ranking but screw that awful noise.

The one sudden shift to keep in mind is that enemy skills are back for all of Conquest kids, so mind the Seal X skills and Vantage, etc.

Poison Strike ninjas are back on the menu, folks!

The "boss" of the map is this threesome of a General, Hero, and Strategist. They don't move, so no worries about them being an actual threat. The General has Wary Fighter and the Strategist has a Freeze stave.

Otherwise, the map is basically treading through the forest and plugging up swamp. Only a few characters got levels at this point and they were mostly terrible.

Level ups

Saizo-SKL/RES (17 speed)

Rhajat-MAG

Hana-HP/STR/SPD/LCK/DEF

Caeldori-STR/MAG

Niles-HP/STR/SKL/SPD/DEF

At least Niles and Hana are actually becoming strong enough to take advantage of their massive speed. If only I can give them Quick Draw or even Elbow Room easily.

The Hero drops a Partner Seal.

Why didn't you notify me?
I...I just couldn't bring myself to do that, Father.
Hmm? I expect you to do your duty, Son.
Ah, I'm sorry. But I've heard so many tales of what an important leader you are. You've got a whole realm to look after—countless lives.

I wouldn't be worthy of being called your son. So, I couldn't tell you.

So Siggy's main thing is that he places Xander as basically an approachable god, and asking for help is shameful. Basically do the exact opposite of the Ryoma/Shiro dynamic.

Hmpf.
Commendable.
Father? But I've hardly done anything worthy of such praise.

Most parents would be like "Holy crap, why didn't you call for help? I'm your parent!" But Xander is like "Good job not telling me, that's the right thing to do."

Then again, this is like S tier parenting in Fates context.

You do, I'm sorry to say. Yet I've never had to tell you so. You came to that realization on your own and meted out justice by yourself. Incredible.
Father, you truly think so? I worried I was bringing shame on your name.
I'm sorry, Son. While you have grown into your role, I have failed in mine.

From now on, be sure to tell me anything that's on your mind.
Um, then may I... Could I possibly... I want to join you, Father!
What? Join me?
I...I know why you placed me here—to keep me out of the war. But I believe that I will serve our kingdom far better there than here.

Man, I'm sorry. I just can't get over how badly Ryoma treated his son that Siggy knowing about Nohr is surprising.

Battlefields are bloody. Lives are lost. What you see may haunt you. Are you truly prepared for that? There's no dishonor in saying no. Indeed, I will send you back here if you prove unready.
Yes, I am! I swear that I am!
I see. I trust you know yourself better than I do, Son. Then you are welcome on our grim march, Siegbert.
Th-thank you, Father. I won't get in your way.
Together, Son! We march together. Not apart.

Ignoring that Xander is an rear end in a top hat hypocrite in the main story, he did at least learn his lesson to NOT be like Garon.

High bar, I know.

Unit Joined

Siegbert

Class sets: Starts as Cavalier, Fighter, Wyvern Rider
PSkill: Gallant-When user is the support unit, if the lead unit is female, the lead unit’s damage +2

Growth Rates
HP: 62.5
STR: 65
MAG: 2.5
SKL: 50
SPD: 57.5
LCK: 60
DEF: 37.5
RES: 22.5

I never had a good Siggy for whatever reason, and the trend continues. His speed is shaky and not that great, his defense is not spectacular in either direction, and his strength isn't that good. Having access to the Cavalier class is doing much of the work for salvaging him, but he's kinda just there.

Whenever the people's beseeching eyes caused me to lose my nerve... I would imagine them as bunnies.

Tae fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 10, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I find how hard Xander tries to be a good dad in contrast to Ryoma's total failure oddly hilarious for some reason. It makes me want to see them talk about how they treated their son's together, I'm imagining Xander finding Ryoma's failure to tell Shiro that Hoshido exists horrifying. "Your son, future prince of Hoshido, didn't even know that Hoshido exists. What were you thinking man?"

And Shiro meanwhile tells Siegbert that he wished his dad was someone he could have such incredible respect for.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Benny's up next. Then two more after this.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Uh, Beruka maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Beruka.

• Locked thread