Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I forgot to turn off my subscription and just got billed for another 3 months, plus side is I should have enough lotro bux to buy Mordor in the winter :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Strange question: The expansions were on sale and I bought all of them (excluding mordor) so, is there a good reason to subscribe or should I just enjoy myself ?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Well, there's lots of content not covered by the expansions that need a separate purchase or an active VIP to enjoy. So you might still run into a pay wall every once in a while.

If you haven't done at least one month, it can be worth it to just open up certain things you're given for that one month that do not subsequently go away like quick travel options or... inventory... or ... I dunno. Whatever is on this list.

https://www.lotro.com/en/Full-VIP-Chart

It's not 100% accurate because SSG isn't really keeping on top of its website after the transition, but it should be good enough.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Those of you that are waiting for the expansion content to hit the store: if you're actively playing, get your LIs and equipment ready.

The gear curve between 105 pre-Mordor and 105+ within Mordor can feel like a cliff. Unless you have a nice amount of finesse or (in the case of will-based characters) LIs that have really good resistance modifiers, you're going to go from being able to murder groups of orcs (including signatures) to barely surviving fights with a single common orc that is one or more levels below yours. Expect lots of dodges, blocks, parries, resists, etc. Meanwhile you're getting hit hard and constantly and can get surprised by a crit to the tune of 40% of your morale bar until you finally get a drop or quest reward gear.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Captain Candiru posted:

Those of you that are waiting for the expansion content to hit the store: if you're actively playing, get your LIs and equipment ready.

The gear curve between 105 pre-Mordor and 105+ within Mordor can feel like a cliff. Unless you have a nice amount of finesse or (in the case of will-based characters) LIs that have really good resistance modifiers, you're going to go from being able to murder groups of orcs (including signatures) to barely surviving fights with a single common orc that is one or more levels below yours. Expect lots of dodges, blocks, parries, resists, etc. Meanwhile you're getting hit hard and constantly and can get surprised by a crit to the tune of 40% of your morale bar until you finally get a drop or quest reward gear.

Yeah they are not screwing around with these mobs in Mordor. You can easily die if you're in the middle of a fight and a pather wanders over your way and aggros.

What some people I noticed have been doing is using skirmishes or instances (sword halls, warg pens etc) to level up and then go back and do the quests in Mordor after you're significantly higher level than the mobs in the area. If you don't have very good gear this would probably make your life a lot easier.

On the other hand, it seems like the gear they give from the Aria of the Valar pack has a ridiculous amount of finesse on it, at least the heavy set does. My champion that I leveled up to 105 wearing that gear seemed to have no problems hitting stuff, unlike my Loremaster.

Also it seems as though they recalculated some of the LM pet stats.. As someone else in the kin kindly pointed out to me. My bear went from previously having something like 40k hp to now having like 95k and it seems like he can tank an on-level mob in Mordor for literally forever without dying.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Yeah, even my cat is a huge bag of meat now and can sit there and slowly chip away at things. I'm actually significantly more fragile than my pets now.

Also, grabbed this from the official forums about how lazy they were with some of the emote animations after the update.

Finesse is also still not appearing on any Will items so now I'm rolling with might and agi items on my LM. Not sure if this is the intended path, but I can't see a way forward without equipping my LM this way.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 7, 2017

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Captain Candiru posted:

Yeah, even my cat is a huge bag of meat now and can sit there and slowly chip away at things. I'm actually significantly more fragile than my pets now.

Also, grabbed this from the official forums about how lazy they were with some of the emote animations after the update.

Finesse is also still not appearing on any Will items so now I'm rolling with might and agi items on my LM. Not sure if this is the intended path, but I can't see a way forward without equipping my LM this way.

JFC those animations suck. They pull this same poo poo with every single Xpac. Anyone remember the weird Hobbit running animations or the pervey laugh with the dancing emote? It's like they know perfectly well that everyone hates these changes and are going to demand en masse that they change them back, but they just have to cover for Bob The Animation Guy so he doesn't get fired.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Mordor got MUCH easier once:

a) I levelled 1-2 levels past content (Udun REQUIRES 106, 107-108 is probably better. Need to be 108 and in mostly lvl 300 gear for Dor Amarth)
b) the level 300 gear is so much better it's sickening. To be fair I was running with mostly level 192 gear, but still. Soloing an on-level regular orc was like fighting a higher-level signature monster elsewhere. I can't wait until my imbued and maxed LI goes in my backpack because a drop off some goblin gives me better DPS.
c) getting in a fellowship and facerolling Durthang in Udun will give you a bunch of the gear you need and experience. Don't even try to do it solo but in a group of 8 or so it's a loot pinata - respawn rates are insane and the place is covered with orcs.

Also bookmark this - among other things it has locs for all the lore pages.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?656588-An-Adventurer-s-Guide-to-Mordor

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 7, 2017

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
So I managed to buy the expansion and then promptly log in to a character with a full inventory. :p No box with Aria of the Valar delivered (despite an alert saying it had been delivered), even after I cleared my inventory and re-logged/quit and logged in again/did a /reclaim. I've filed a ticket, of course, but figured I'd ask here if anyone else had had this problem and managed to solve it themselves.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
It seems like the new LI tiers added to the weapons make them dramatically more powerful. My bow went from 293.2 DPS at level 43 (the highest level available before Mordor) to 381.4 DPS at level 48, after I maxed out the tiers available to me, and when I find the time to grind some star-lit crystals it'll hit 498.5 DPS at level 53.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 8, 2017

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

jalapeno_dude posted:

It seems like the new LI tiers added to the weapons make them dramatically more powerful. My bow went from 293.2 DPS at level 43 (the highest level available before Mordor) to 381.4 DPS at level 48, after I maxed out the tiers available to me, and when I find the time to grind some star-lit crystals it'll hit 498.5 DPS at level 53.

Still only just comparable to a weapon you'll pick up off a dead orc in a level or two. They're going to need more levels to LIs to keep them competitive.

archaicnoise
Feb 25, 2011

Lum_ posted:

Mordor got MUCH easier once:

Warning to anyone thinking it might be easy from this point forward: Lhingris is a god drat nightmare. There's 30 spiders per square inch of road. I can only imagine there are at least two or three other areas in Mordor designed like this.

It's kind of similar in Udun and Barad Dur but it's nowhere near as intolerable because there's so many players running from place to place. Hunters are basically living gods at the moment.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lum_ posted:

Still only just comparable to a weapon you'll pick up off a dead orc in a level or two. They're going to need more levels to LIs to keep them competitive.

Wait, why would they do this? The whole point of the LI revamp was so that you'd finally keep it forever.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I should probably come back to this. I have a warden that I stopped playing sometime around Rohan.

But I also have a lifetime subscription i purchased back upon release thats probbly good enough to get me my content for free (thanks monthy turbine points!)

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
If you haven't touched your lifetime account in years you will probably be able to buy every expansion with points, except for Mordor until later this year.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Do people actually still play this game? Is the PVP still that one little zone of creeps vs peeps?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I've been playing it consistently without a sub. I don't feel the need to power through content and play as little or as much as I like. Something fun about putting on the lotr soundtrack and questing.

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

Cimber posted:

Do people actually still play this game? Is the PVP still that one little zone of creeps vs peeps?

It's got its own dedicated playerbase, more populated than I expected when I first started playing again, but PVP still leaves a lot to be desired, yeah.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i'm sure the gfx engine has not been upgraded since, what, 2005? I remember thinking it was beautiful back in the day when i was questing in western Bree, now i may just snicker at it. I may log back in for shits and grins tonight.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Many of us, myself included, still really love some of the landscape stuff. Sure, it's not Skyrim HD or whatever, but they still have some great vistas. The later expansions they really just start making GBS threads out foliage and detail everywhere.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

xZAOx posted:

Many of us, myself included, still really love some of the landscape stuff. Sure, it's not Skyrim HD or whatever, but they still have some great vistas. The later expansions they really just start making GBS threads out foliage and detail everywhere.

The music system they have the game is the best i've ever seen. I remember sitting in taverns, equipping a lute and playing Battle Of Evermore. :D

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Cimber posted:

i'm sure the gfx engine has not been upgraded since, what, 2005? I remember thinking it was beautiful back in the day when i was questing in western Bree, now i may just snicker at it. I may log back in for shits and grins tonight.

There were updates to Man and Elf models this expansion but they're fairly subtle. In general the world building works very well with the client (with the massive exception of Minas Tirith which just doesn't work well on many levels) and the landscape is not really snickerworthy. (The models, on the other hand, don't age well at all)

With the new models my character still looks pretty 2005y but not bad for 2005.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 10, 2017

WARDUKE
Sep 18, 2012

Muscly armed warrior with glowing eyes and shit.
Any SA member not playing this anymore and want sell a lifetime account?
Shoot me a PM.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Glenn Quebec posted:

I've been playing it consistently without a sub. I don't feel the need to power through content and play as little or as much as I like. Something fun about putting on the lotr soundtrack and questing.

For me it's been firing up one of my playlists and knocking out deeds. Misfits works exceptionally well in the Barrow-downs. I was wondering if there was a way to solo low level dungeons because I wanted to give the Great Barrow a try but the pop up I got only listed getting a group.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Assuming you're higher level, you can just lower the instance level in the panel. It's not overly obvious, but you can just backspace and change the level.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Don't group instances only match for 3 or more people?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Do people actually use the instance finder to group up? I was under the impression it was all pre-group in LFF, then run the instance from the Advanced tab of the instance finder.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Do people actually use the instance finder to group up? I was under the impression it was all pre-group in LFF, then run the instance from the Advanced tab of the instance finder.

That I have seen, nobody uses to find groups.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Correct. That's exclusively the way to do it.

Don't wait til you're higher level to run this stuff solo. Get a group together in the relevant level range. I realize that it might take a little effort to get a group going, but it's worth it. Too many MMOs have a ton of lower-level dungeons that are fun as gently caress, but sit empty because so much of the playerbase has moved on to the distant endgame grind. Far too often that new poo poo doesn't hold a candle to the content made back when the devs were more passionate about what they were doing.

Especially Moria. Don't miss the Moria 6-mans.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Brave New World posted:

Correct. That's exclusively the way to do it.

Don't wait til you're higher level to run this stuff solo. Get a group together in the relevant level range. I realize that it might take a little effort to get a group going, but it's worth it. Too many MMOs have a ton of lower-level dungeons that are fun as gently caress, but sit empty because so much of the playerbase has moved on to the distant endgame grind. Far too often that new poo poo doesn't hold a candle to the content made back when the devs were more passionate about what they were doing.

Especially Moria. Don't miss the Moria 6-mans.

Its really sad that there is a HUGE loving PLOTLINE for the witch king that sits empty, because everyone skips it to go on to moria.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So now that it's been out a bit - what's the general review of Mordor?

More of the same? Do anything different? Landscape still good (albeit difficult)?

Is the "end game" daily grind as lovely as flowers? Are LIs good at end-game once you throw more scrolls at them?

Any group/raid content? Worth a poo poo? Overworld or dungeons?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

xZAOx posted:

So now that it's been out a bit - what's the general review of Mordor?

More of the same? Do anything different? Landscape still good (albeit difficult)?

Mostly more of the same. A lot more emphasis on "public questing" - it's a lot easier to get past areas if you do them in ad hoc groups. Still good.

xZAOx posted:

Is the "end game" daily grind as lovely as flowers? Are LIs good at end-game once you throw more scrolls at them?

There's a brand new kind of reputation grind, and you turn drops to dust now to try to get less crappy drops. My strong suspicion is LIs will not be end-game worthy since there's only 10 new levels.

xZAOx posted:

Any group/raid content? Worth a poo poo? Overworld or dungeons?

No clue! There's a raid planned but it's not out yet.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
How are they handling moria within the framework of the plot? IIRC in the books the heroes did not invade moria specifically because they did not want Sauron to increase his presence there, making it harder for Frodo to sneak on through.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Cimber posted:

How are they handling moria within the framework of the plot? IIRC in the books the heroes did not invade moria specifically because they did not want Sauron to increase his presence there, making it harder for Frodo to sneak on through.

(not really a spoiler I don't think considering U19 was literally the Battle at the Black Gate) The ring is destroyed as part of the opening quest series; the expansion is the story of Gondor's incursion into the Plains of Gorgoroth immediately after the end of the War of the Ring and how those of Sauron's lieutenants who survived respond.

It's actually pretty interesting and well handled.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 15, 2017

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lum_ posted:

(not really a spoiler I don't think considering U19 was literally the Battle at the Black Gate) The ring is destroyed as part of the opening quest series; the expansion is the story of Gondor's incursion into the Plains of Gorgoroth immediately after the end of the War of the Ring and how those of Sauron's lieutenants who survived respond.

It's actually pretty interesting and well handled.

Ahhhh. I have not played since Rohan (Gee, i wonder why).

I always thought that orcs and other creatures of evil died when the spirit of Sauron had to flee the world.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cimber posted:

Ahhhh. I have not played since Rohan (Gee, i wonder why).

I always thought that orcs and other creatures of evil died when the spirit of Sauron had to flee the world.

Nah, the orcs just ran and hid since they didn't have a big bad to lead them. They would never be strong again, but they don't just cease to function because Sauron isn't supporting them.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Is there anyone else running through this game for their first time like me?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I've technically played since release (and have a Lifetime though I can't remember purchasing it), but my highest is...17? While it's not my first time playing there's a metric shitload of content I have yet to experience.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Is there anyone else running through this game for their first time like me?

I'm trying to but I'm currently stuck with choice paralysis in character creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm always tempted to reinstall, I got a dude to 20 once and he had a cool hat