Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Is darkpact a build to invest in after gaining some currency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Does Flicker Strike hold up through high tier content?

I played it to a fairly high level a few leagues ago, on SC, of course. It lost a bit of power at high level - I ran a warchief totem as well so I could kill things I couldn't get near safely. Flicker with Oro's was unusable against end-game bosses since they were all ignite immune, but I believe they've removed that now. As to whether it would be a good idea to use that ability against them... probably not, I did just explode sometimes. It was a fun build, though I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a high refresh rate - I have a 144hz monitor and could just barely keep up.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

I'm pretty sure flicker strike markedly reduced my eyesight from Strain so beware . Your eyes are going to have a workout .

Yeah I was watching some streamer play it earlier and it was epilepsy-inducing

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

For those curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aynB8UYHOVs

I can imagine this giving me headaches

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I have a 5L6s shavs after 3 session, pretty happy with my progress so far this league!

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Still feel really squishy, and keep randomly being more or less one shotted by mobs in Act 9. I can typically kill almost everything fairly easily as long as i get a drop on the enemies, but there are times where out of nowhere a mob hits me and i am dead.

- Glacial Cascade + Remote Mine Support + Concentrated Effect + Minefield
- Cast When Damaged + Immortal Call + Detonate Mines + Elemental Weakness (Am i supposed to keep some of these skills to level 1?)
- Vaal Clarity all Alone
- Hatred in a Essence Worm
- Flame Dash + Faster Casting + Arcane Surge + Increased Duration (Honestly i can barely tell the difference with these 3 support gems and just a naked flamedash, and i don't see how people can use this skill to zip around the map)
- Frost Bomb + Multi Trap + Trap Support + Cluster Trap (Throw em down during the boss, for some extra damage that i can't really tell if this makes a difference)

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/UberJumper/characters

I feel i am fundamentally missing something about this build. Should i be stacking ES or Evasion?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
How difficult is the endgame really?
When looking for build guides I see labels like Uber*-capable and whatever, does that mean that other builds cannot complete that content?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

scissorman posted:

When looking for build guides I see labels like Uber*-capable and whatever, does that mean that other builds cannot complete that content?
Not necessarily, but it is fairly easy to end up with build that will be anemic against some part of endgame content. Which, in itself, while not being too difficult, requires some planning ahead.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

UberJumper posted:

Still feel really squishy, and keep randomly being more or less one shotted by mobs in Act 9. I can typically kill almost everything fairly easily as long as i get a drop on the enemies, but there are times where out of nowhere a mob hits me and i am dead.

- Cast When Damaged + Immortal Call + Detonate Mines + Elemental Weakness (Am i supposed to keep some of these skills to level 1?)
- Vaal Clarity all Alone
- Flame Dash + Faster Casting + Arcane Surge + Increased Duration (Honestly i can barely tell the difference with these 3 support gems and just a naked flamedash, and i don't see how people can use this skill to zip around the map)
- Frost Bomb + Multi Trap + Trap Support + Cluster Trap (Throw em down during the boss, for some extra damage that i can't really tell if this makes a difference)

I feel i am fundamentally missing something about this build. Should i be stacking ES or Evasion?

As a miner, try to buy a covenant chest, and use a stone golem. It will solve all your mana problems and let you reserve most of your mana for defensive auras or a curse like temp chains to protect you from getting swarmed. Then you can drop both your mana flasks for a stibnite and a granite or basalt, or if your resists aren't capped, a bismuth will go a long way

Caster builds typically have problems with secondary defenses, and a mine build is essentially a caster. Hybrid life/ES is hard to build around so you should try to get some regen, defensive flasks, and and consider using enduring cry for endurance charges.

Edit: You're already using CWDT detonate mines

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

scissorman posted:

Usually when a build says "UBER FARMER" or whatever it just means that it's particularly well-suited for that content. Uber lab builds generally want to be fast and have high ST dps.

You can still complete the content up to guardians at least without a specialized build. I've farmed uber lab with my terrible homebrew siege ballista iron commander build. It may not be optimal, or pleasant, or fun, but it's doable.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

UberJumper posted:

Still feel really squishy, and keep randomly being more or less one shotted by mobs in Act 9. I

Ok so first obvious problem is that your elemental resists are not 75/75/75. Mob damage is balanced for max resists so something that is 'you better dodge this' for someone with max resists is just death for you. Find your worst pieces of gear and trade for a replacement, you can get stuff like +40-50life +30%resist1 + 28%resist2 for ~1alch orb listed price.
Next is that you are energy shield and therefore have no armour and therefore get absolute shreked by physical hits, especially the occasional unavoidable volley from a pack of archers you just ran into. Having no armour is pretty horrible for levelling but fortunately there is a quick fix, swap one of your flasks for a granite flask, +3000 armour on use and pop it whenever anything might hit/shoot you. Later when your energy shield synergies start reinforcing each other and energy shield becomes good use a 20% phys reduction flask, but granite for now.

Jessant fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 7, 2017

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
So I died about 40 times in the final fight with Kitava, and I died at least once per boss on the way to Kitava. My damage is pretty okay, I can clear a screen instantly, but my survivability is poo poo. I have decent resists, but no armor, very little energy shield, and 2,000 life. I am evasion based, which from my reading on Reddit and the official forums, basically means I'm the red headed step child of Path of Exile.

So I'm looking at making my second character. What is the opposite of an evasion based tornado shot ranger. I still want to clear stuff quickly, but I don't want something squishy.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Prolly something like sunder or eq slayer/jugg/zerker that runs a bunch of endurance charges and regen on top of leech, with fortify and ECOMS on move skill

Also unwavering stance is the melee noobtrap this league, spec IR and run a stibnite to still get 50% evasion with a pile of armor. I am low life with no anti stun and I just use the god power, it doesn't really bother me

Cory in the Blouse fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 7, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Time to come back to the game. I haven't played in basically forever.

I'm considering a ranger who uses a lot of Tornado Arrow and a firestorm witch; I've seen both setups. Which is cheaper/easier to produce the items for? I don't know the relative costs of anything so I am having trouble parsing the actual value of the items they list. If they're about even I'd play ranger, but I'm unlikely to make two characters at a high level so picking the one who can be more self-sufficient is good.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Spells are generally a lot less gear dependent than bow builds, so firestorm is probably the easier start from scratch.

Of course, there are extremely cheap leveling bows available and a death's harp can take you through most of the story (if not all) once you can equip it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Prism posted:

Time to come back to the game. I haven't played in basically forever.

I'm considering a ranger who uses a lot of Tornado Arrow and a firestorm witch; I've seen both setups. Which is cheaper/easier to produce the items for? I don't know the relative costs of anything so I am having trouble parsing the actual value of the items they list. If they're about even I'd play ranger, but I'm unlikely to make two characters at a high level so picking the one who can be more self-sufficient is good.

Spellcasters are generally cheaper than attackers since good weapons are so critical to attack dps and can get expensive.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I played a tornado shot ranger last league and it was a snoozefest so consider that too

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Arsonide posted:

So I died about 40 times in the final fight with Kitava, and I died at least once per boss on the way to Kitava. My damage is pretty okay, I can clear a screen instantly, but my survivability is poo poo. I have decent resists, but no armor, very little energy shield, and 2,000 life. I am evasion based, which from my reading on Reddit and the official forums, basically means I'm the red headed step child of Path of Exile.

So I'm looking at making my second character. What is the opposite of an evasion based tornado shot ranger. I still want to clear stuff quickly, but I don't want something squishy.
The usual rule of thumb back when there were three difficulties instead of ten acts was you wanted 4k hp or so and max resists by the end of A4 Merciless (ie the final difficulty level before maps). It sounds like you're massively under-geared for the end-game defence-wise, and/or you haven't taken nearly enough hp nodes from the passive tree.

Evasion is workable, but the nature of it is that hits will get through and when they do you need enough of an hp pool to soak them, and enough regen to refill that pool before the next big hit connects.

One point to remember about resists - each extra point is more valuable than the last. Going from 0 to 50% resist halves the damage you take, but you only need to get to 75% to halve it again. Always always always max your resists by end-game.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 7, 2017

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there a link to the SR build that took down Shaper on HC already?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Couple questions from a newbie here! Starting Harbinger league with a Blade Flurry Gladiator, and I just finished first Lab for my ascendancy (yay, everything explodes!). I'd like to upgrade my links, as I only have 3-slots for Blade Flurry and Whirling Blades (want to add Fortify and squeeze out more damage). I've got Ancestral Warchief to supplement my dps, but I might just need a new weapon by now. Do you typically just roll whatever good slotted equipment you find until you hit a brick wall? Are any orbs worth using before end-game? Also heard something about Sunder builds bricking around Act 8, is my Blade Flurry build likely to do the same? It's all physical & bleed with the exception of Tempest Shield & Herald of Ash, both of which seem like solid buffs for the moment.

Thanks for any help!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's a good SSF area in Acts 9 and 10?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

UberJumper posted:

- Vaal Clarity all Alone

Once you get all the nodes behind MoM you should be less squishy, Id also take Nullification as that will give you some defense/res. You could also run a stone golem for some more life regen and enemy distraction.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

myDad posted:

Couple questions from a newbie here! Starting Harbinger league with a Blade Flurry Gladiator, and I just finished first Lab for my ascendancy (yay, everything explodes!). I'd like to upgrade my links, as I only have 3-slots for Blade Flurry and Whirling Blades (want to add Fortify and squeeze out more damage). I've got Ancestral Warchief to supplement my dps, but I might just need a new weapon by now. Do you typically just roll whatever good slotted equipment you find until you hit a brick wall? Are any orbs worth using before end-game? Also heard something about Sunder builds bricking around Act 8, is my Blade Flurry build likely to do the same? It's all physical & bleed with the exception of Tempest Shield & Herald of Ash, both of which seem like solid buffs for the moment.

Thanks for any help!
If you want to guarantee 4-linked or higher sockets on your gear (especially 4-links), the best way to do it is to get a hideout by doing master missions, and then use Vorici's crafting table on the item you want more links for. Vorici's table lets you pay Orbs of Fusing to guarantee a certain number of linked sockets. 5-link and 6-link gear costs 150 and 1,500 orbs of fusing respectively, but a 4-link costs only five. So if you're looking to jump from 3-links to 4-links, Vorici is the way to do it. Alternatively you can use an Orb of Binding if you get enough shards, though that's exclusive to the Harbinger league.

Keep in mind though that one-handed weapons and shields can't have more than 3 sockets. Two-handed weapons and body armors can have up to 6, and all other armor pieces max out at 4.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
For others playing frost blades, how essential are you feeling a source of chain is? I bought a Ewar's with my first few alchs and used it basically all the way up until I hit maps but then switched it out for just a better sword and I really haven't found the lack of chain to be that bad. I was originally planning on going claws and working my way up to dual touch of anguish but now I'm doubting whether or not its really worth it.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

I go the other way round and use Jewellers/Fusings/Chromatics to make the right slots and links on gear that is already good. Four links are not problematic as long as you respect socket colours and go to Vorici's crafting bench when you need to go off colour. When you chrome a strength item you are most likely to see red sockets, a str/int item red or blue sockets etc. Don't try and get 3 green 1 blue on a str/int item.

That said get the socket links for your main skill, then maybe just not use other stuff until you are starting maps. Like if you need a particular socket you dont currently have on your gear for a curse or golem just keeping the skill gem in your stash for now is a free option and the damage/defence loss probably wont even be noticeable before act 10.

I also use blue currency orbs quite a lot while levelling, make a +30hp coral ring into a +60 hp coral ring for every alt you make for the rest of the league to wear from level 2 for instance. From around Imperial Gardens onwards I always have an instant heal pot, made by transmuting every white I pick up until I get one or spamming alts if unlucky and desperate for a new one. Essences you can and should use to roll the most useful potential item until you are dealing with Screaming essences, which you can sell to a crafter for better expected returns, You probably don't want to use any yellow currency or try and make your own 5-link item, 4-links cheap, 5-links expensive, 6-links average 1200 fusings.

Jessant fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 7, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

myDad posted:

Thanks for any help!

I'm still pretty new but here is my take:

- I'd put fortify on something other than your bread and butter attack skill. You want to juice that for all the damage you can. Usually fortify goes on a move skill like leap slam. Maybe it can link with a Herald I'm not sure
- If things are really dire weapons wise just trade. You can get levelling uniques for basically nothing. But yes, as I level I'll throw an essence on a white with appropriate base as I go pretty frequently.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
If you're in the goon guild, the best way to get leveling gear is to fish it out of the Guild Stash. Don't be afraid to try throwing a cheap essence on something in there, too. It's why we would toss a white 4- or 5-link in there - go nuts, within reason. If you need an upgrade, see if it works out. If it doesn't, oh well.

Also, does Orb of Binding guarantee max linked sockets? Or does it act like one roll of a fusing?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How many respec points should I expect to get from Act 1 to unlocking Scion ( is it still just beating Templar guy? )?

I'm basically just using this Ranger to learn the basics anyways while I unlock Scion, then will probably do a Scion/Templar/Witch as my real main once I know what to expect. But still want her to be viable, and need to respec a few points.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Devor posted:

Also, does Orb of Binding guarantee max linked sockets? Or does it act like one roll of a fusing?
If by "max" you mean "4" then it's a guarantee AFAIK.

EDIT: Or 3 if the item only can have 3 sockets.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there still a quest like merciless bandits that rewards +1 charge or +1 passive point? I have not seen one.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is there still a quest like merciless bandits that rewards +1 charge or +1 passive point? I have not seen one.

No

Rookersh posted:

How many respec points should I expect to get from Act 1 to unlocking Scion ( is it still just beating Templar guy? )?

I'm basically just using this Ranger to learn the basics anyways while I unlock Scion, then will probably do a Scion/Templar/Witch as my real main once I know what to expect. But still want her to be viable, and need to respec a few points.

IIRC, 6. 2 from Mud Flats, 2 from Crypt, 2 from killing Piety.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Devor posted:

Everything I've heard says it's guaranteed to 4-link. It says "up to" because of one-handed weapons and shields.

Rookersh posted:

If you've ever unlocked Scion it remains unlocked, even into new leagues. If you're rolling a new account, then she's on the way up to Dominus at the end of Act 3. Up to that point, I think you should have maybe six or eight respec points from quests? I want to say it's one quest in each act, but there might be an extra quest here or there.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Hey i couldnt play this first weekend so i guess i got bumped out from the new league rush, if the guild has any room or theres a b-guild or something id like an invite to alex_olson_soty

J
Jun 10, 2001

Megasabin posted:

Is there a link to the SR build that took down Shaper on HC already?

Here was his tree before he respeced the character into a low life version.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Holy poo poo they added stairs

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

what's a good gottagofast raider build that can clear everything? After doing totems as a starter I have the urge to attack fast as hell

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just finished act 5

That was good content . The new mobs where fun and the boss fights were almost ... mmo ish?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Btw the best part of flicker strike is you can clear a map holding down one button. It owns in that way .

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Jessant posted:

I go the other way round and use Jewellers/Fusings/Chromatics to make the right slots and links on gear that is already good. Four links are not problematic as long as you respect socket colours and go to Vorici's crafting bench when you need to go off colour. When you chrome a strength item you are most likely to see red sockets, a str/int item red or blue sockets etc. Don't try and get 3 green 1 blue on a str/int item.

That said get the socket links for your main skill, then maybe just not use other stuff until you are starting maps. Like if you need a particular socket you dont currently have on your gear for a curse or golem just keeping the skill gem in your stash for now is a free option and the damage/defence loss probably wont even be noticeable before act 10.

I also use blue currency orbs quite a lot while levelling, make a +30hp coral ring into a +60 hp coral ring for every alt you make for the rest of the league to wear from level 2 for instance. From around Imperial Gardens onwards I always have an instant heal pot, made by transmuting every white I pick up until I get one or spamming alts if unlucky and desperate for a new one. Essences you can and should use to roll the most useful potential item until you are dealing with Screaming essences, which you can sell to a crafter for better expected returns, You probably don't want to use any yellow currency or try and make your own 5-link item, 4-links cheap, 5-links expensive, 6-links average 1200 fusings.
Vorici Calc is your friend when it comes to chroming weird combinaitons.
https://siveran.github.io/calc.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

You're starting to seem a bit obsessed with me panda. Do you miss me that much?