Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The MLM part was actually the most successful part of their business.

It was their retail stores and legal issues from the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act that stemmed from bribing Chinese government officials that was dragging them down.

MLM's are still a great business to be in!

(As long as you are selling it and now buying it)
Man could you imagine if Amazon integrated an MLM-style platform into its marketplace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

Coyotes are encroaching into suburban and exurban areas pretty easily. I'm also really curious how coywolves are spreading out.

Hey, if canids weren't adaptable, we'd have killed them all by accident by now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In my city we never had deer, not for generations. Now they are loving everywhere even in the urban core. It's effecting retail because they eat EVERYTHING that isn't nailed down and can seemingly leap over 30' fences and tunnel through solid rock. A local garden supply store had a ton of their outdoor stock eaten because their fences were designed to keep out humans, not super-deer.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

The average laptop someone actually buys in the modern day is about $350 brand new and far less used, for what it's worth.

[citation needed], or are people actually going out and buying the entry-level chomebook model in droves?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blowfish posted:

[citation needed], or are people actually going out and buying the entry-level chomebook model in droves?

Entry level Chromebook models are much cheaper. $350 gets you a basic laptop at Best Buy or Wal-Mart or the like, like this very popular Dell. Computing is very cheap these days:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

fishmech posted:

Entry level Chromebook models are much cheaper. $350 gets you a basic laptop at Best Buy or Wal-Mart or the like, like this very popular Dell. Computing is very cheap these days:

Hell, Best Buy occasionally has i7 Acer convertible laptops on sale for around $600. Screen size, resolution, and overall build quality are really the only reason to spend $800+ on a laptop these days. If you're okay with a larger screen that's "only" 1080p and you don't care about having a nice glass touchpad or aluminum case then you can get some pretty beefy hardware in the $400-600 range.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Paradoxish posted:

Screen size, resolution, and overall build quality are really the only reason to spend $800+ on a laptop these days.
There are plenty of other reasons too, but yes for most people cheap laptops are perfectly fine.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Baronjutter posted:

In my city we never had deer, not for generations. Now they are loving everywhere even in the urban core. It's effecting retail because they eat EVERYTHING that isn't nailed down and can seemingly leap over 30' fences and tunnel through solid rock. A local garden supply store had a ton of their outdoor stock eaten because their fences were designed to keep out humans, not super-deer.

I work for a landscaping store with a green house in Canada and I can confirm that this is a problem here as well. Luckily we have Bobbex. It's hard to describe bobbex's smell because I have never smelt anything like bobbex before. Works though. Stopped the deer from destroying our remaining tulips.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lenovo Outlet is always the best option.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cicero posted:

There are plenty of other reasons too, but yes for most people cheap laptops are perfectly fine.

I'm honestly not sure what those reasons might be, and I'm saying this as someone who's typing this post on a laptop that was around $2000 new. $800 will buy you a laptop with an i7u, 16gb RAM, and possibly a discrete graphics card. That's more than functional as a desktop replacement, even for a lot of professional work. You need to spend more if you absolutely need something like a 7700HQ, but hardly anyone really needs specs like that on a laptop. A lot of higher end laptops are only really notable because they cram high-spec hardware into relatively compact/light packages.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

blowfish posted:

Lots of consumer electronics are significantly cheaper in the US than Europe, so that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Randler posted:

Lots of consumer electronics are significantly cheaper in the US than Europe, so that doesn't seem unreasonable.

My friend buys poo poo to bring back to Europe for family. Said the price is the same but it's Euros instead of dollars.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Not sure if this is directly retail, but Dunkin' Donuts is rebranding to "Dunkin'" in 2018 and making some big changes to their retail locations/brands.

- Changing their name and signage to just read Dunkin'
- Removing about 2/3 of the donuts from their menu
- Buying retail space in buildings that were formerly storefronts to convert into large "Cafes" with seating
- Adding Drive-Thrus to locations without them
- All new constructions will include Drive-Thrus
- Focusing on "fast casual" coffee
- More specialty coffees and beverages
- Launching a new line of sandwiches/pastries to eat "on the go."
- Expanding to the West Coast
- Opening more Dunkin's in large multi-use retail space; like Wal-Marts, Hotels, and Office Buildings.
- Partnering with retailers for new Dunkin' branded retail products like K-Cups and Flavor Syrups

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/08/07/dunkin-donuts-might-be-changing-its-name-starting-with-california-location.html

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 7, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like converting an established brand into a coffee shop is an ill considered decision.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like converting an established brand into a coffee shop is an ill considered decision.

They already are one though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only Dunkin I used to go to raised their prices above what the independent shops charge, then removed their storefront from the street all the students walk to for lunch. So I simply have no reason to ever visit one now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

They already are one though.

I mean, like, more of a coffee shop.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The one near my old home has been perennially filled up with the stereotypical blue collar dunkins coffee drinker. I loved going there and hearing the thick Boston accents, it'll be sad when it gets gentrified.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Only part that interests me is the expanded sandwich stuff.

Work construction in the Northeast, and Dunkin is already pretty high on the priority list for break time for lots of people. More food options and less donuts is a welcome change. Just hope the prices don't jump to high to cover that specialty coffee atmosphere though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, Dunkin' Donuts whole appeals is being a cheaper, quicker, coffee place than Starbucks. As long as they don't screw up those two things, they should be good. I'm a little sad they're going to reduce the donut quantity, but there's a lot of overlap. I think their breakfast sandwiches are probably as or more popular than the donuts anyway.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Their donuts fuckin' suck anyway. They used to make them onsite forever ago

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Welcome to anywhere in America outside of the 10 major cities.

Sorry to bring this up as I've just been catching up on the thread but I don't think this is actually true, at least from my experience. Large cities, sure. But outside of those top 10 there are plenty of cities that manage to provide decent public transit. Places like DC, Portland and Denver come to mind.

Anyways, I don't think public transit is as bad in America as most make it out to be (if you don't live in NY/Chicago good luck!). Many cities have invested in this area over the past few decades especially and yes, it could be better, but there are plenty of places you can live purely on public transit that don't have ten million people living in close quarters.

A bigger issue with public transit, and with most government services for the matter, is that they are expected to make a profit. I have no idea why this is the end goal of public transit but we seem hell bent on doing so. Many cities you see rental communities for the upper-middle class that come with a bus pass they'll never use while the poor are relegated to spending thousands on bus fare over the years.

It would seem to me things like public transit are a good we should be happy to pay for. We should be incentivizing bus trips, not forcing people to pay for them. It shouldn't be cheaper to hop in your car and drive somewhere than take the bus, but that's the reality facing most people across the country.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 7, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

Sorry to bring this up as I've just been catching up on the thread but I don't think this is actually true, at least from my experience. Large cities, sure. But outside of those top 10 there are plenty of cities that manage to provide decent public transit. Places like DC, Portland and Denver come to mind.

Those are part of the "top 10 cities" of public transit, you loving dingus.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Those are in the top 10 cities, you loving dingus.

They absolutely are not, by what measure are they "the 10 major cities"?

Or is this a time where top 10 means top 25?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

They absolutely are not, by what measure are they top 10?

By access to transit.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Those are in the top 10 cities, you loving dingus.

dc is sixth, denver is in the top 20 somewhere (18th?) and portland is in the top 30 but portland has extenuating circumstances (heavy focus on urban density and mass transit imposed by unique state level regulations imposed by a brief surge of environmentalism in oregon in the 1970's)

of course now the argument will be strict city size vs metro area size and blah blah

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

By access to transit.

Alright you originally said "top 10 major cities", but if we're talking just access to transit, what's the list you're using?

My only point is that more than 10 cities have the ability to take public transit to the airport. It's not that bad in America and has gotten better recently many places.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 7, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Their donuts fuckin' suck anyway. They used to make them onsite forever ago

Sounds like Tim Hortons, they actually made good doughnuts and poo poo on-site but then to save some pennies they decided to mass produce them half-baked at some centralized factory and ship them out, and the coffee is terrible, and because you can't live off minimum wage and the "part time" hours they put everyone on in a lot of areas they hire almost exclusively "TFA"s which are temporary foreign workers. The TFA program was set up to allow quick temporary work visas to get SKILLED workers quickly in key areas. So your tech company can get a special visa quick to hire that one in a million specialty engineer from england because there's no one qualified for the work in Canada that you can get. What happened though is that companies would advertise a minimum wage garbage hour position in some hellish job, not get enough applicants and then whine to the government that clearly there's a labour shortage, can we import 100 Filipinos to staff our fast food place? These people have zero rights and their visa is instantly terminated the moment they are fired, which can also be at any time since they have no rights or protections. They're often lied to about their wages and their employers house them and take their rent off their pay and they have absolutely no legal path to a different visa or permanent residence. It's only a couple steps down from the outright slavery they do in Dubai, and the Canadian retail/food service business is a huge lobby group for expanding it. The narrative of course is that millennials are lazy and don't have good work ethic and are entitled and don't want to work McJobs so clearly we need imported visa-slaves.

And that's just the ones that people see, we also do this poo poo with remote mines in the middle of nowhere where deaths and injuries from the lack of safety standards just go unreported and who cares they're just TFW's, it's like Chinese building the railways except at least those guys got to stay in the country.

gently caress Tim Hortons and all canadian businesses that take advantage of the TFW program (also gently caress woke bae PM selfie for promising to close these loopholes but doing pretty much nothing)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've noticed that a couple of the vacation spots I've been to--Hilton Head and Rehoboth Beach--really like hiring foreign workers instead of local residents for summer jobs in retail.

That the foreign workers are all young white attractive women is surely a coincidence.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I've noticed that a couple of the vacation spots I've been to--Hilton Head and Rehoboth Beach--really like hiring foreign workers instead of local residents for summer jobs in retail.

That the foreign workers are all young white attractive women is surely a coincidence.

Those spots probably legitimately don't have enough of a transient labor pool.

At least it was probably true at one point.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

NewForumSoftware posted:

Alright you originally said "top 10 major cities", but if we're talking just access to transit, what's the list you're using?

My only point is that more than 10 cities have the ability to take public transit to the airport. It's not that bad in America and has gotten better recently many places.

I mean I live in a city of 135,000 and the immediate neighboring towns have about another 200,000 people in a dense area and the bus system is probably better than most competitive areas but also still kind of sucks?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Amused to Death posted:

I mean I live in a city of 135,000 and the immediate neighboring towns have about another 200,000 people in a dense area and the bus system is probably better than most competitive areas but also still kind of sucks?

Yeah, it's far from ideal. "Getting to the airport" is like the (one of the?) bare minimum of a public transit system. It does seem like most major metro areas offer something like that, even if it's a Park-and-Ride or whatever. Living without a car requires a hell of a lot more out of a transit system (and I can imagine there's less than 10 major metro areas where it's realistic) but most cities have at least laid the groundwork, they just need to raise taxes, remove the concept of fares and expand their networks.

Does anyone know/have any data for trends in public transit over the past few decades? I'm curious as to whether things are getting better, staying the same, or worsening. From my limited observation it does seem like public transit is making somewhat of a "comeback" with millennials but that could just be the bubble I live in.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Halloween Jack posted:

In Rehoboth Beach, the local Chamber of Commerce and the town have a partnership with an Eastern European exchange agency.

They partner up businesses with 18-24 year olds for summer jobs. 90% of the retail labor in the summer is Russian or Bulgarian.

They also have a huge issue where every Summer they have 2-3 of these foreign kids killed because they can't afford to live in Rehoboth proper, so they ride their bikes down the highway to and from work and get run over.

:capitalism:

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In Rehoboth Beach, the local Chamber of Commerce and the town have a partnership with an Eastern European exchange agency.

They partner up businesses with 18-24 year olds for summer jobs. 90% of the retail labor in the summer is Russian or Bulgarian.

They also have a huge issue where every Summer they have 2-3 of these foreign kids killed because they can't afford to live in Rehoboth proper, so they ride their bikes down the highway to and from work and get run over.

:capitalism:

This sounds like the perfect breeding ground for sexual exploitation.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

This sounds like the perfect breeding ground for sexual exploitation.

In Savannah one of the high end developments had exactly that. Straight up had a human trafficing whore house for the wealthy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BrandorKP posted:

In Savannah one of the high end developments had exactly that. Straight up had a human trafficing whore house for the wealthy.

Oh hey they had that in my town as well in the UK, also in a new """""high end"""" (actually pretty poo poo and embarrassing) development :sun:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Sounds like Tim Hortons, they actually made good doughnuts and poo poo on-site but then to save some pennies they decided to mass produce them half-baked at some centralized factory and ship them out, and the coffee is terrible, and because you can't live off minimum wage and the "part time" hours they put everyone on in a lot of areas they hire almost exclusively "TFA"s which are temporary foreign workers. The TFA program was set up to allow quick temporary work visas to get SKILLED workers quickly in key areas. So your tech company can get a special visa quick to hire that one in a million specialty engineer from england because there's no one qualified for the work in Canada that you can get. What happened though is that companies would advertise a minimum wage garbage hour position in some hellish job, not get enough applicants and then whine to the government that clearly there's a labour shortage, can we import 100 Filipinos to staff our fast food place? These people have zero rights and their visa is instantly terminated the moment they are fired, which can also be at any time since they have no rights or protections. They're often lied to about their wages and their employers house them and take their rent off their pay and they have absolutely no legal path to a different visa or permanent residence. It's only a couple steps down from the outright slavery they do in Dubai, and the Canadian retail/food service business is a huge lobby group for expanding it. The narrative of course is that millennials are lazy and don't have good work ethic and are entitled and don't want to work McJobs so clearly we need imported visa-slaves.

And that's just the ones that people see, we also do this poo poo with remote mines in the middle of nowhere where deaths and injuries from the lack of safety standards just go unreported and who cares they're just TFW's, it's like Chinese building the railways except at least those guys got to stay in the country.

gently caress Tim Hortons and all canadian businesses that take advantage of the TFW program (also gently caress woke bae PM selfie for promising to close these loopholes but doing pretty much nothing)

That's the crazy thing about Canada. Every time I read some in-depth article about poo poo being hosed up in canada I get reminded that their poo poo's nearly as hosed up as ours, they're just a lot better at hiding it.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

canadian policy is to be less hosed up than american policy which is a low bar

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rated PG-34 posted:

canadian policy is to be less hosed up than american policy which is a low bar

They aren't though, in fact they're a lot more hosed up on a lot of issues, like treatment of native peoples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

fishmech posted:

They aren't though, in fact they're a lot more hosed up on a lot of issues, like treatment of native peoples.

genocide vs. different genocide?