Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
having lived in the middle of the woods for a significant portion of my life, your pretty little sub-division does not feel rural at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
You don't know rural until you've been to Molokai.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mandatory lesbian posted:

having lived in the middle of the woods for a significant portion of my life, your pretty little sub-division does not feel rural at all

how do you know, huh? maybe it does

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Motronic posted:

I've taken DC cabs in the pre uber days and they were indeed terrible. But there is a reason other than VC money that Uber started in SF. It is the only place that I've ever been that had worse taxi service than Paris. It was far worse than DC. One driver, who barely could communicate in english and could not find the ferry building had to hand me his Tom Tom and I put in where I wanted to go. I mean, a taxi driver that can't find one of the most iconic tourist destinations in the city they work in and can't speak either english or spanish at least conversationally in SF is not a good hire. This was not an isolated event, and typically happened when you got one at an airport stand.

What makes Paris taxis so bad? I've only taken a taxi once in my life and it was in Paris and it was ok

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Everyone should take public transport to the airport. I take it nearly every time I go and it's usually faster than taking a car because the airport around O'Hare is terrible. I also have to drive near O'Hare on my way to work and every Monday is god awful as I sit in traffic at 6 AM surrounded by taxis/Ubers/limos dropping people off for their Monday morning commuter flight. TAKE THE TRAIN PEOPLE! You would already be there.

Would if I could, but even once you get into the only real city in the state the bus system services the airport between 615 and 8 am, and 3pm to 6pm on weekdays only. Seriously, people overestimate how much of the US has even remotely working public transport.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like, your base assumption should be that anywhere in the US has, at best, completely token public transport if any.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Amused to Death posted:

As a poor, I disagree. I'd use a company that had me riding on the back of a moped if the ride was $10 cheaper

I'm poor too, buddy. :smith::hf::smith:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

OwlFancier posted:

Also hang on who owns thousands of dollars worth of stuff to take on holiday with them?

the only thing i can say is :hmbol:

Things that normal people usually bring:
*iPone $600
*laptop that's not a total piece of poo poo $800
*clothes and toiletries and poo poo for 2 weeks $200-$1000 depending on how many, how new, brand or no-name
*suitcase $80
*camera that's better than the one in the phone $500-$Texas depending on level of sperging, wealth

however,

JailTrump posted:

LOL Enjoy getting your suitcases robbed on the bus while heading to the airport on your trip to france and missing the flight meaning you lose out not only on the thousands of dollars of stuff in your suitcases but also the thousands of dollars you spent on booking hotels/flights/etc...

Lol some of you guys are nuts. Taking public mass transportation to a loving airport....

i manage to take public transport to/from the airport 80% of the time with no problems

granted, i live in a civilised country, not the mad max world that is apparently america

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Liquid Communism posted:

Would if I could, but even once you get into the only real city in the state the bus system services the airport between 615 and 8 am, and 3pm to 6pm on weekdays only. Seriously, people overestimate how much of the US has even remotely working public transport.

Man, I didn't realize how lovely most places have it. I grew up in the burbs of Chicago, so there I wouldn't expect a bus, but I've lived in Ames, IA, Chicago, and Cleveland, and all three of those had ways for me to take public transportation directly to the airport.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

blowfish posted:

*iPone $600
*clothes and toiletries and poo poo for 2 weeks $200-$1000 depending on how many, how new, brand or no-name
*suitcase $80
*camera that's better than the one in the phone $500-$Texas depending on level of sperging, wealth

Unironically check your privilege.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Unironically check your privilege.

:eyepop:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

boner confessor posted:

lyft is just a watered down version of uber. less VC raised, lower burn rate, less evil to employees, less evasive of regulatory bodies. same basic idea as uber, just diet uber in terms of being fuckers

Lyft is also not going to get the poo poo sued out of them by Google for corporate espionage.

The main reasons I don't use Uber are as follows:

1). Bog-standard SV "we're disrupting labor and transportation laws" bullshit. This isn't enough on its own to make me stop because I still use Lyft, but it's definitely not good.

2). Garbage SV corporate culture featuring such blatant awful sexism that they had to hire a former attorney general to come in and fix them.

3). The lovely way they undercut NYC cab drivers who were striking in solitude during the Muslim ban protests by actively pushing drivers to go get all the people who weren't being served (seriously it was like an hour and they were so loving blatant about it by turning off surge pricing)

4). Screwing NYC drivers out of millions of dollars (which they're now supposed to pay back) because they took some transportation tax out of their drivers wages instead of charging the customers.

5). Their pending patent case where a dude who worked at Google may have stolen 14k documents from Google's self-driving car division, started his own company which just happened to get bought for a nice sum by Uber after about 6 months. They're scummy as gently caress.

6). Travis Kalanick is a gross fucker.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

seriously you pack waaaay too heavy, here's my list:

*: raincoat (goodwill, $15)
*: galoshes (goodwill, $5)
*: $30 worth of single-shot liquor bottles (stuffed into raincoat pockets/galoshes)
*: fedora (neiman marcus, $150)
*: Newspaper, los angeles or new york times (crumpled and stuffed into newspaper if traveling in winter)

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

Late to the party, but my suburban house has 300 acres of mixed fields, woods, and creeks behind it, home to geese, wild turkeys, coyotes, and other small game (but oddly, I've never seen a deer).

It feels a little bit rural, especially when the coyotes are howling.

Of course, perhaps inevitably, they are trying to rezone it to put in an almost 800 unit development. Oh, and all the access roads are narrow 2-lane with no shoulders. And the schools are full. Thankfully, the first rezoning attempt failed, but it's just a matter of time. Can't keep that much land undeveloped in this housing market. :ohdear:

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Before Uber was a thing, two times stick out in my mind when I really needed a cab: the first was in a smaller college town on a busy party weekend. Called at like 1. Was told we couldn't have a car until 4 am. Other options were similar or flat out closed for the night.

Another time in a larger city, needed a cab after a comedy show. Took 90 minutes.

There's no amount of sexual harassment, douchebag CEOs, or driver grief that would make me go back to long waits and dealing with salty dispatchers. The taxi services completely hosed themselves by putting out the worst possible product.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Thank god there are services like Lyft and Juno (which will increasingly expand their coverage areas) which are exactly like Uber, except strictly better cause they pay their drivers more.

It turns out Uber had a good idea (decentralized drivers and dispatching) that is effortless for other companies to copy 100%. I won't miss Uber when they're gone, but I'm glad rideshare is here to stay.

Also New York City makes every rideshare driver register with the city and get licensed and you know what? The quality of drivers here is 1000% better than when I go to places like Atlanta or Milwaukee and deal with the rando creeps.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LongSack posted:

Late to the party, but my suburban house has 300 acres of mixed fields, woods, and creeks behind it, home to geese, wild turkeys, coyotes, and other small game (but oddly, I've never seen a deer).

It feels a little bit rural, especially when the coyotes are howling.

Of course, perhaps inevitably, they are trying to rezone it to put in an almost 800 unit development. Oh, and all the access roads are narrow 2-lane with no shoulders. And the schools are full. Thankfully, the first rezoning attempt failed, but it's just a matter of time. Can't keep that much land undeveloped in this housing market. :ohdear:

Coyotes are a sign of the suburbs and urban settings, they thrive in those. They don't do particularly well in truly rural areas, but suburb/urban development patterns combined with the general culling of wolves has allowed them to expand much farther north and east than they did before Americans really started to settle the West and especially after the early 20th century.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I used to see them all the time in the superfund sites around calumet city. At night I'd see them in Hyde Park pretty regularly back in 2005-08. They do really well in cities even big cities.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

BrandorKP posted:

I used to see them all the time in the superfund sites around calumet city. At night I'd see them in Hyde Park pretty regularly back in 2005-08. They do really well in cities even big cities.

Since you're from the Chicago area, you may remember that 10 years ago a coyote walked into a downtown Quiznos and sat in the cooler.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/17950832/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/coyote-shall-lie-down-sobes/

It was a bad omen for Quizno's I guess.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I was was living there when that happened.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I went to Target last night and ended up using the self checkout because they only had a single cashier.

I swiped an item twice on accident and felt empowered to hit the VOID ITEM button and keep scanning. As soon as I hit the button, it informs me that I need to wait for an employee to assist me. There is nobody around.

Then I notice that the video monitor above the check stand is trained on my face and the text MONITORING IN PROGRESS below it.

The video feed stayed on screen until someone came to help me. I've never been so loving mad in a Target before

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

I was was living there when that happened.

What was it like living in the Quiznos? Was the coyote an ok roommate?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Grand Prize Winner posted:

seriously you pack waaaay too heavy, here's my list:

*: raincoat (goodwill, $15)
*: galoshes (goodwill, $5)
*: $30 worth of single-shot liquor bottles (stuffed into raincoat pockets/galoshes)
*: fedora (neiman marcus, $150)
*: Newspaper, los angeles or new york times (crumpled and stuffed into newspaper if traveling in winter)

Buy less fedoras.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You don't need to bring luggage, just steal someone else's!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

evobatman posted:

Buy less fedoras.

I hope he forgot to mention the at least 1 pair of underpants per 2-3 days because more time than that will get gross enough to make any possible money savings not worth it :v:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

blowfish posted:

I hope he forgot to mention the at least 1 pair of underpants per 2-3 days because more time than that will get gross enough to make any possible money savings not worth it :v:

The trick is to wear them backwards when they get dirty, then inside out, then inside out and backwards

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Avon is next on the chopping block.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-avon-prdcts-ceo-idUSKBN1AJ1K5

quote:

Rising losses, investor pressure push Avon CEO Sheri McCoy to quit

McCoy's exit caps a turbulent five years for the company, which shrunk to half its size after selling most of its U.S. business, navigated a bribery scandal in China and has lost about 85 percent of its value.

Avon is mostly a MLM business, but they are closing all of their retail "training and supply" centers, which were primarily in malls or outlet kiosks

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Death to MLMs.

Although I dunno if they're the type of business that would get crushed by Amazon being more efficient, seems like the primary strategy for MLMs is swindling the greedy and stupid by presenting dreams of future fortunes made. Amazon is just about buying stuff cheap and easy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cicero posted:

Death to MLMs.

Although I dunno if they're the type of business that would get crushed by Amazon being more efficient, seems like the primary strategy for MLMs is swindling the greedy and stupid by presenting dreams of future fortunes made. Amazon is just about buying stuff cheap and easy.

The MLM part was actually the most successful part of their business.

It was their retail stores and legal issues from the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act that stemmed from bribing Chinese government officials that was dragging them down.

MLM's are still a great business to be in!

(As long as you are selling it and now buying it)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Avon is MLM?

I thought it was just a catalogue that sold shampoo to old ladies?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

OwlFancier posted:

Avon is MLM?

I thought it was just a catalogue that sold shampoo to old ladies?

You've never heard of "Avon Ladies" or seen people in front of Avon stores at the mall grab random passersby to put lotion on their hands?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You've never heard of "Avon Ladies" or seen people in front of Avon stores at the mall grab random passersby to put lotion on their hands?

Well yes the Avon lady is the lady who gives the old ladies the catalogues and delivers their orders.

I didn't even know they had stores though. I just thought it was a normal mail order toiletries thing that ran on middle aged women in their spare time. I do rep work myself sometimes so I figured it was like that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

OwlFancier posted:

Well yes the Avon lady is the lady who gives the old ladies the catalogues and delivers their orders.

I didn't even know they had stores though.

They aren't stores! Those are for stodgy old businesses.

We have "training centers" and "product showrooms" for our amazing products! Come inside and let me show you why Avon has over 400,000 independent distributors.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

fishmech posted:

Coyotes are a sign of the suburbs and urban settings, they thrive in those. They don't do particularly well in truly rural areas, but suburb/urban development patterns combined with the general culling of wolves has allowed them to expand much farther north and east than they did before Americans really started to settle the West and especially after the early 20th century.

Coyotes are encroaching into suburban and exurban areas pretty easily. I'm also really curious how coywolves are spreading out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Genuinely never seen one, maybe Avon UK is a bit different?

E: Also never seen a coyote but I know for sure that's a UK difference.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It puts the Avon on its skin, or else it gets the hose again...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

blowfish posted:

*iPone $600
*suitcase $80

Why the gently caress would you ever put your phone or laptop in checked baggage

Also, nobody except pro photographers really needs a DSLR nowadays, phone cameras are loving fantastic for everyday/vacation stuff

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Why the gently caress would you ever put your phone or laptop in checked baggage

Also, nobody except pro photographers really needs a DSLR nowadays, phone cameras are loving fantastic for everyday/vacation stuff

You can do a lot of cool stuff with a small mirrorless camera that you can't do with a phone camera. Portrait mode on your iPhone is a loving joke compared to a Fuji with fast glass.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also $800 for a laptop? Not everyone travels everywhere with macbooks you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The average laptop someone actually buys in the modern day is about $350 brand new and far less used, for what it's worth.

Doctor Butts posted:

Coyotes are encroaching into suburban and exurban areas pretty easily. I'm also really curious how coywolves are spreading out.

Coywolves depend entirely on how many wolves are still around in the area, or have been reintroduced. Because of the mechanics of how we tend to do those reintroductions, and the areas were they were likely to have survived on their own.