Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

derp posted:

For whom the bell tolls is pretty meh so far

is Hemmingway one of those writers everyone loves because he's so mediocre and everyman, or what?

if you look at Hemingway's prose and think mediocre you should probably just give up on books in general because you don't deserve them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
lol

thou art an expletive

how bout my nobel prize now ty

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

Cloks posted:

A friend told me that Kenzaburo Oe was the anti-Murakami. Can anyone familiar with his work tell me which of his books to read first?

I feel like Oe's writing has a similar feeling to Murakami while having much more concrete action and feeling a little more purposeful

Silent Cry is the only full novel I've read of his and has a good mix of the kind of dreamlike feeling with clear story arcs. Could also start with his short story collection Teach Us to Outgrow Our Madness which would give you a good feel for his themes

I started Somersault way before I would have actually appreciated it but not sure if it's worth revisiting

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

derp posted:

lol

thou art an expletive

how bout my nobel prize now ty

He read the post. It was bad.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

While the subject is on - what writers would you guys recommend if I enjoyed Murakami? If it's any help The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle was way more my thing than 1Q84.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Palpek posted:

While the subject is on - what writers would you guys recommend if I enjoyed Murakami? If it's any help The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle was way more my thing than 1Q84.

what particular aspects did you like? There are a few directions to take it.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
1q84 could have been decent with about 500 pages of it cut. Marukami has a very weak willed editor I think. That and 'hard boiled wonderland' were my first and only two Marukami novels, both seemed pulled out of thin air and made no sense in the end and also featured lots of scenes describing cooking, and other mundane aspects of daily life. Did I pick bad choices or is that just his style, cause I feel no drive to try again.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids or A Personal Matter

A Personal Matter is his masterpiece but I hate the ending.

Don't read Somersault

Thanks.

I'm about a third of the way through 4 3 2 1. It's better than I thought it would be based on thread opinion. I'll have more thoughts when I'm finished.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

if you look at Hemingway's prose and think mediocre you should probably just give up on books in general because you don't deserve them

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Palpek posted:

Kobo Abe

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Lot of people in here with the laughable perspective of 'people who dislike things I like should kill themselves so I can live in the homogeneous world of matching opinions i'm accustomed to.'

I do hope my first impression is wrong though cause otherwise I've got 15 more hours of war shenanigans to be bored over.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

peanut- posted:

I generally enjoy him, but I found For Whom the Bell Tolls way overlong for his style.

im glad im not the only one who felt this way

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

How the gently caress would it take you 15 hours to read a 500 page book

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How the gently caress would it take you 15 hours to read a 500 page book

i'm listening to that one, narration takes a lot longer.

I'm currently reading the city in the city which is super great so far.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Books on tape ffs

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Books on tape ffs

you're a real crochety old fucker aren't you. What else am I supposed to do with the two hours i have to drive every weekday.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

love me some Kobo Abe

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Kobo Bae

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

you're a real crochety old fucker aren't you. What else am I supposed to do with the two hours i have to drive every weekday.

Not listen to incomparable masterpieces of literature

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

derp posted:

i'm listening to that one, narration takes a lot longer.

I'm currently reading the city in the city which is super great so far.

The City and the City is of the "Italo Calvino but written by the stupid" school of literature and is bad.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

SoCoRoBo posted:

That doesn't describe any of his best work tbf. He definitely has his preoccupations but when he's on form he's genuinely great.

I've only read The Plot Against America, but I can recommend that to pretty much anyone.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

The City and the City is of the "Italo Calvino but written by the stupid" school of literature and is bad.

Is that better or worse than the "Borges but stupid" genre?

Also have you read any Valeria Luiselli or Enrique Vila-Matas?

They both are Borges esque without feeling like a rote freshman impression.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Kobo Abe is cool because he is one of the most sexually hosed up novelists ever

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mover posted:

Kobo Abe is cool because he is one of the most sexually hosed up novelists ever

I see your Abe and raise you a Mishima

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is that better or worse than the "Borges but stupid" genre?

Also have you read any Valeria Luiselli or Enrique Vila-Matas?

They both are Borges esque without feeling like a rote freshman impression.

I havem't what's good

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

I havem't what's good

i liked brief history of portable literature from vila-matas

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 7, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A Brief History of Portable Literature
Faces in the Crowd

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not listen to incomparable masterpieces of literature

well, sorry im not a 23 yo college student who is thunderstruck by the awesmitude of every single book i open.

Books are supposed to be entertaining. if not that, then very beautifully written. So far 'for whom the bell tolls' is neither.

anyway thanks for doing your part to keep up the stereotype of people who read 'literature'

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hmmmmm derp is weak.

He must be galvanized in the fires of the lit thread

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

derp posted:

Books are supposed to be entertaining. if not that, then very beautifully written. So far 'for whom the bell tolls' is neither.

hell yeah

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
pr much true

i thought 'hey book thread where people talk about books'

not 'hey book thread maybe i can go there and have people call me dumb for enjoying things slightly less/more than they do'

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ah yeah that was your big mistake

This is more of the constant shitpost and claw at each other in a battle for a superficial sense of intellectual superiority thread

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Well I am good at shitposting, so maybe if i work hard I can fit in after all

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Thats the spirit

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
it tolls for us in the lit thread

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
for whom the bell tolls is admirable mostly because if i'm going to read about anglos loving up in the spanish civil war, i'd rather it be hemingway than that rat fink snitch orwell

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

George Orwell Did Nothing Wrong

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've only read never any end to Paris from vila-matas, but that one was really good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

derp posted:

Well I am good at shitposting, so maybe if i work hard I can fit in after all

you won't understand the lit thread until you finally read aquarium just to shut mel up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

fridge corn posted:

you won't understand the lit thread until you finally read aquarium just to shut mel up

well i live near seattle so maybe i will just for that reason but otherwise it sounds like just the opposite of whatever im interested in.