Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Speaking of, genuinely can't believe how much I'm enjoying Horizon. It's so loving good. I'm not into open world games very much but this game is so so streamlined and fun to play. Chipping parts off the larger machines is insanely fun. Best graphics I've ever seen. Sound design and music are incredible. And this from the Killzone team?!!!
A literal miracle.

Highly recommend it to anyone who's not into these sort of games. Best way I can describe it is Red Dead Redemption x Skyrim x Tomb Raider x Phantom Pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Electromax posted:

Unfortunately not every game can handle gratuitous computer sex as elegantly as Witcher 3.

the sex scenes in Witcher 3 are also bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

fridge corn posted:

the sex scenes in Witcher 3 are also bad

The best and most canonical sex scene in TW3 is the one where Geralt does not actually have the sex.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Is the goonsensus on 4K TVs with good HDR still the Samsung KS8000? I know it's out of production but there's some good deals online for them regardless.

Need to get a new TV for the Pro and I've got a budget of about $1800/£1000.

e: also I'm in the UK so please don't make me jealous by linking amazing Best Buy deals or w/ev

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
lads, i'm happy to report that video games are finally good again

https://twitter.com/MoreConsole/status/894594952184963072

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They should partner up with Chequita and print codes on Bananas

Because, you see, Destiny 2 will also need time to ripe after being bought

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They should partner up with Chequita and print codes on Bananas

Because, you see, Destiny 2 will also need time to ripe after being bought

Or just don't buy it and spend money on a good game instead

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Speaking of, genuinely can't believe how much I'm enjoying Horizon. It's so loving good. I'm not into open world games very much but this game is so so streamlined and fun to play. Chipping parts off the larger machines is insanely fun. Best graphics I've ever seen. Sound design and music are incredible. And this from the Killzone team?!!!
A literal miracle.

Highly recommend it to anyone who's not into these sort of games. Best way I can describe it is Red Dead Redemption x Skyrim x Tomb Raider x Phantom Pain

I just started playing it myself 4 days ago. I can't put it down.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Adam Vegas posted:

Is the goonsensus on 4K TVs with good HDR still the Samsung KS8000? I know it's out of production but there's some good deals online for them regardless.

Need to get a new TV for the Pro and I've got a budget of about $1800/£1000.

e: also I'm in the UK so please don't make me jealous by linking amazing Best Buy deals or w/ev
I don't know what the market is like for the same reason as you - reason being the prices are so crazy here.

Here are the features you should look for:

- Dolby Vision (12-bit colour and Dynamic HDR)
- Failing that HDR10+ or Dynamic HDR (HDR10+ is HDR10 with Dynamic HDR)
- HDMI 2.1 (and Game Mode VRR)

And as always, input lag is also a good thing to remember.

I got my TV two years ago and don't have HDR; in other words, a lot has probably changed fairly quickly since the KS8000 came out so make sure you don't lose out on some of the most interesting features out there.

Granted, the PS4 Pro doesn't support either of these, but the apps on your TV like Netflix will support things like 12-bit colour and Dynamic HDR through Dolby Vision. As will the Apple TV which will be presented in a month.

The Scorpio also supports Game Mode VRR already.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 7, 2017

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Highly recommend it to anyone who's not into these sort of games.

Would you recommend it to people who are more or less neurologically incapable of aiming with a controller in FPSs and third person shooters with free look/aim? Horizon looks so damned good, but every time I think about getting it the rational part of my brain reminds me that despite playing video games for over 35 years, I still can't aim with a goddamned game pad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Would you recommend it to people who are more or less neurologically incapable of aiming with a controller in FPSs and third person shooters with free look/aim? Horizon looks so damned good, but every time I think about getting it the rational part of my brain reminds me that despite playing video games for over 35 years, I still can't aim with a goddamned game pad.

It's worth a try. Auto-aim is fairly generous, one of your early abilities slows down time when you're aiming, and one of the most useful weapons nails enemies to the ground so you have time to line up a shot.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Default aim sensitivity usually sucks in games; I recall the defaults being very good in Horizon.

One thing that bummed me out a little bit was that the "sliding under a robodino and clocking it in slow-motion" wasn't a particularly feasible and frequent mechanic in the game.

There's also different weapons with different ammo types to keep everything from being a 360 noscope challenge.

The game also comes with a plethora of difficulty settings you can change during the game. I recommend Hard, but you may want to pick Normal and raise it if you get bored.

It's an amazing game, and it has the best story and graphics of any console game in ages, maybe years.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think Normal difficulty and below have aim assist.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Shadow Of War has an opt-in multiplayer mode where you can basically play the invasion of fortresses from the campaign, forever.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Thanks for the information on Horizon, I'll definitely consider it.

And to further my earlier point, I just started Just Cause 3 for the first time and got the poo poo kicked out of me in the very first firefight. My son took it over and beat it fairly easily.

He turns seven in September.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My son took it over and beat it fairly easily.

He turns seven in September.

I'd say that's fairly normal. Kids pick this poo poo up easy. I still remember a time when I knew every fatality in Mortal Kombat 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My video game skills peaked somewhere in 2004 when I was playing lots of War3 in college and have dropped off precipitously since then. I'm middling at best now but still way better than I ever was as a little kid because little kids make stupid decisions all the time. I remember my friend and I once got halfway through FF8 in a weekend without even knowing how Junction worked.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Tbh my stance on Destiny is that if I ever do get dragged into it by friends, it will be when the game goes on sale and after the mandatory dlc packs are out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Pierson posted:

I just keep getting a "Your purchase may not be complete' error no matter which methods I try.

i got that error when trying to claim the ps+ games recently so i am gonna guess it's not your card but some fun new psn bug

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Tbh my stance on Destiny is that if I ever do get dragged into it by friends, it will be when the game goes on sale and after the mandatory dlc packs are out.

Same. It's gonna be hard but fool me once....

Still a complete joke at the lack of content and half released game Destiny was for a year or two. Dicing it up into three parts, and there's still not even a story. All that money and them making a new mission the same as another just backwards, or so lazy they literally just re-skinned enemies. What a loving joke

I still played the same strikes over and over tho

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

release destiny was kind of like monopoly. it's not a good game, but if it's the game you and your friends keep playing you can kind of make it work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The whole thing is just rampant with greed and laziness (more-so than most games) but we're all suckers so the cycle shall continue

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am intrigued by... but wary and ignorant of, Hellblade.

I still don't know what the gently caress it really is or how I should feel about it. Is this the kind of antimatter hype you get when you self-publish?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 7, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Feenix posted:

I am intrigued by... but wary and ignorant of, Hellblade.

I still don't know what the gently caress it really is or how I should feel about it. Is this the kind of antimatter hype you get when you self-publish?

I've read and seen a lot of previews for Hellblade and even I'm not entirely sure what it's about. On its surface it's about a Celtic warrior who travels to Viking hell to rescue the soul of her dead BF, I think. There's some Soulsy combat, some Riddler-esque puzzle solving, but the emphasis appears to be on the environment and storytelling. They've been pushing the mental illness angle pretty hard, but how that manifests in the game I have no idea. I've read that it only takes about 8 hours to complete so the focus seems to be entirely on the narrative.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I like the premise and the price of HELLBLADE enough that I'm willing to give it a shot based on hope, unless it turns out it's apocalyptically bad or something

On that same rationale, I picked up a copy of THE SEXY BRUTALE when I saw it got an actual physical release, and I'm hoping to get around to that soon as well

I guess I'll post my thoughts on them when I have any

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
hellblade could have been a walking sim but they wanted to add a bit more interactivity. lol at people saying it looks like it has souls combat and puzzles.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Just watched part of a gameplay video for Hellblade and if that's the gameplay it looks bad.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'd say that's fairly normal. Kids pick this poo poo up easy. I still remember a time when I knew every fatality in Mortal Kombat 2.

I agree though my son isn't a normal kid in that respect. His hand-eye coordination is abysmal, he has what's called a motor-planning deficit; the message from his brain gets garbled on the way to his body. So things that any kid does with no hesitation are difficult for him. Like he can't jump out of the car. He has to slowly lower himself out. Watching him play any game that requires him to shoot anything is agonizing because he'll line up the target and then not fire, which I presume is due to the MP issue. But even still, he has fewer issues than I do in terms of lining the reticle up in the first place. When I play those games it looks like a drunk is in control. I overshoot the target and if I try to compensate I move too carefully and don't come close to the target. When I watch good players play those types of games I find it borderline miraculous..

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've said this before, but I'm sold on Hellblade's atmosphere alone. I think it's a gonna be a neat little experience.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I remain optimistic on Hellblade because the dumber the name of the game, the better it's been in 2017.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The way that your awareness of someone attacking you from behind comes from a voice whispering to you seems pretty neat

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
HELLBLADE looks like a fun way to spend $30 :shrug:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

After approximately one billion hours of playtime, I'm on the verge of finishing Witcher III. Now I need recommendations for a game which is the opposite of Witcher III. So I guess... brightly colored, not an action RPG, and the ladies--if present--stay fully dressed. Neutral on card collecting mini-games & dismemberment.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rangpur posted:

After approximately one billion hours of playtime, I'm on the verge of finishing Witcher III. Now I need recommendations for a game which is the opposite of Witcher III. So I guess... brightly colored, not an action RPG, and the ladies--if present--stay fully dressed. Neutral on card collecting mini-games & dismemberment.

Pyre, maybe.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rangpur posted:

The Sexy Brutale fills all those requirements. It does have card collecting and pseudo dismemberment though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pyre, definitely. It has level up stuff but isn't an "action RPG" imo

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Snak posted:

I've said this before, but I'm sold on Hellblade's atmosphere alone. I think it's a gonna be a neat little experience.

I'm sooooo not the target demo for walking simulators or visual novels. I don't disparage, but I play games to interact.

That said, if this can push a narrative that is interesting and entertaining and still allow me some bit of "game" that isn't obnoxious or broken, I think I can be ok with that...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't really trust Ninja Theory with narrative, TBH.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't really trust Ninja Theory with narrative, TBH.
That's bad because I don't trust them with mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

That's bad because I don't trust them with mechanics

Yeah that too honestly.