Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Proteus Jones posted:

Google Voice means one number to rule them all. The only thing is, I seem to remember being able to schedule DnD hours with it, and now I have to basically turn it on and off manually. It's not a *huge* deal, since work generally doesn't abuse it.

On one hand it's a lovely change. On the other hand at least Google started thinking about GV again rather than just shutting it down.

On the web client: hit the 3 dots on the left and switch to "Legacy Google Voice." Go to Settings, Edit under your phone number, Advanced Settings and set up your Ring Schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MisterOblivious posted:

On one hand it's a lovely change. On the other hand at least Google started thinking about GV again rather than just shutting it down.

On the web client: hit the 3 dots on the left and switch to "Legacy Google Voice." Go to Settings, Edit under your phone number, Advanced Settings and set up your Ring Schedule.

Oh, holy poo poo you're the best. I didn't even think to check the web client. Thanks!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Regarding internal security stuff (I know I'm a little late)...

I work at a MSP, we probably have somewhere between 700 and 1,000 employees at this point. The security team sent out a fake phishing email a few months ago (after warning everyone they were going to do it at some point that month). Something like 30% of all employees clicked on the link, and 19% actually entered their domain creds in the site. Good times. I don't know what was done with that 19%, but I guarantee no one's job was threatened. Last year we got our own poo poo crypto'ed three times, twice by the same person.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Dick Trauma posted:

I advised them to skip that step and proceed directly to adopting a child. :pseudo:

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

A ticket came in: Why won't it stop pooping?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

MANime in the sheets posted:

Regarding internal security stuff (I know I'm a little late)...
omething like 30% of all employees clicked on the link,

I can confirm these kinds of numbers for a corp orders of magnitude bigger

:negative:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

By boss called my deskphone once and heard that earfull and asked about it; I explained, and he cant believe how nice the voicemail is and respects my professionalism.

I expected that sentence to end with some variant of, "...and he told me to change it because we don't conduct ourselves that way in THIS company, young man, I expect you to thank the caller for wasting your time and inquire as to whether they would like you to call them back immediately so they can waste more of it."

Good boss.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in. The client needs to access our governments Business Registers Agency's portal. They received step by step instruction from them:

quote:

Remove all versions of Java from PC and install following one (8u71)
[google drive link]
Also, install following Mozilla [sic] version (51.0.1)
[another google drive link]
Open the portal in Mozilla [sic].

I feel like murdering someone.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

The Claptain posted:

I feel like murdering someone.
Me too. Yikes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Good thing VMs exist to contain that walking security nightmare.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My GF told me that at her new job, the owner used to do the schedules in MS paint. She used nothing but the paintbrush tool and hand drew a chart and wrote in everyone's names and times. She didn't even use the erase tool when she had to make changes, she drew over it with white. One of the first things my GF did was dump that stupid loving schedule and make her own in MS word instead of excel UGH

I know this thread gets off on people using the wrong tool for the job but seriously what the ever living gently caress, MS paint for a schedule is a new one to me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Good loving lord why do people insist on doing exactly what you tell them not to?

Backstory:
Our voicemail server croaked on Saturday. It's dead, Jim. Blackbox can't do anything about it till at least Monday because the thing is loving ancient and nobody has parts.
I sent out an email to the entire org saying that the helpdesk is going to be forwarded to my cell phone and to please submit a ticket to the helpdesk via email so that we can actually process your request, instead of having it ignored by me.
Then I left to go to the beach.

Currently:
I can't even floss my goddamn teeth because people are blowing up my phone. Okay, like 2 requests were reasonable but still, you could have just put in a ticket...
Meanwhile my boss took the only other person who is in the office right now, down to the server room to gawk at the dead server and idk, poke it with a stick or something?

You better believe that after I found that out I changed the call forwarding to his cell phone. I'm gonna go make a rum and coke and dip my toes in the ocean. ttyl. :cheers:

Edit: OH GOD everyone is calling in sick/late today and my boss just called asking if I can come in. HAHAHAHA, no.
I thought about saying that I'm leaving now and that I'll be there in 72 hours, but instead I just sent him a nice new background picture:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 7, 2017

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Got a ticket this morning with a typo that made me chuckle

This job is slowly killing me since they cut my assistant position, but I signed the papers on a new house yesterday so I'm finally out of the post-divorce apartment-dwelling hell I've been in, so there's that.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

My GF told me that at her new job, the owner used to do the schedules in MS paint.

I'm sorry, but that's awesome.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Renegret posted:

My GF told me that at her new job, the owner used to do the schedules in MS paint. She used nothing but the paintbrush tool and hand drew a chart and wrote in everyone's names and times. She didn't even use the erase tool when she had to make changes, she drew over it with white. One of the first things my GF did was dump that stupid loving schedule and make her own in MS word instead of excel UGH

I know this thread gets off on people using the wrong tool for the job but seriously what the ever living gently caress, MS paint for a schedule is a new one to me.

When all you have is a paint brush...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Please tell me she hand-wrote in the names using the paintbrush tool instead of the text tool.

I can infer this already but I need positive clarification.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Yes document processing guy Acrobat is indeed a pile of failure and stupidity but it's 9am I really don't need to hear exactly how much poo poo you think it is.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Data Graham posted:

Please tell me she hand-wrote in the names using the paintbrush tool instead of the text tool.

I can infer this already but I need positive clarification.

the truth is I don't know but in my head cannon she does, so I didn't ask so the magic won't be ruined

Volmarias posted:

When all you have is a paint brush...

Also funny enough, she had a .pdf that she had to edit today, but doesn't have Adobe Acrobat.

Her boss told her to fix it in paint.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Renegret posted:

Also funny enough, she had a .pdf that she had to edit today, but doesn't have Adobe Acrobat.

Her boss told her to fix it in paint.

After she prints and scans it, no doubt.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We have people putting in tickets for Acrobat Pro licenses because "they need to collaborate on PDFs".

Ugh. Yes we've tried having the talk that a PDF is what you export to, not what you work from, but I guess they really enjoy editing stuff in Acrobat for some reason.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Making PDF editable in the first place was a mistake.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Collateral Damage posted:

Truth

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Not an empty quote.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This is the most painful thing I have to do most days.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

LethalGeek posted:

This is the most painful thing I have to do most days.

Same here... And since we don't have Acrobat, LibreOffice Draw can open most PDFs and allow you to make changes, long as the PDF is not a image and assuming you are not missing the fonts.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

stevewm posted:

Same here... And since we don't have Acrobat, LibreOffice Draw can open most PDFs and allow you to make changes, long as the PDF is not a image and assuming you are not missing the fonts.

So can Word.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

After she prints and scans it, no doubt.

uh.........

let's just say when she gets home from work I'm going to teach her the snipping tool

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Renegret posted:

uh.........

let's just say when she gets home from work I'm going to teach her the snipping tool

Greenshot or nothing :colbert:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pacra posted:

Greenshot or nothing :colbert:

I used greenshot to make that and upload it.

Also, Greenshot's mini image editor with arrow shapes is pretty much the best.
e:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

e:

Heh, I wish I'd known about that the time I had to explain to a user what "blank space in the folder" meant. Had to use paint.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Counter-point. Fixing a contract right before it was emailed, with the guy who wrote it having gone on vacation with his laptop that had the original on it where a zero was missed in the agreed on price.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Counter-point. Fixing a contract right before it was emailed, with the guy who wrote it having gone on vacation with his laptop that had the original on it where a zero was missed in the agreed on price.
Counter-counter-point: "Hey I got this signed contract from the customer but it's in PDF format, could you help me edit the terms?"

Yes I've heard people ask that. :negative:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I dug up a ticket from Janurary. It's an endless stream of

Is there any update to this ticket?
Defect #### has been opened.

Is there any update to this ticket?

Is there any update to Defect ####?

Time to work my magic, as someone who no longer gives a poo poo about soft people skills.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Haven't used MS Word for quite some time, nice to know it gained this ability.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Even if the act of creating a PDF was literally carving words and graphics into stone tablets with a hammer and chisel people could would still ask if it could be edited.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

The Fool posted:

e:

My two favorite features are the fact you can snapshot any dropdown menu, or any dialog or window where it would disappear if you tried to use snipping tool; and that magnifying glass on capture so you can get pixel perfect caps if youre an insane OCD how-to'er like me

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Super Slash posted:

Even if the act of creating a PDF was literally carving words and graphics into stone tablets with a hammer and chisel people could would still ask if it could be edited.

You know that God called Moses up the day after the Commandments and was like "Hey, that one about asses, I just need to make a TEENY TINY correction"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Oh, oh, thou shalt NOT commit adultery. Okay yeah, that makes more sense"

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pacra posted:

My two favorite features are the fact you can snapshot any dropdown menu, or any dialog or window where it would disappear if you tried to use snipping tool; and that magnifying glass on capture so you can get pixel perfect caps if youre an insane OCD how-to'er like me

Snipping Tool in Windows 10 can take a snapshot with a delay, giving you time to open a menu or a dialog.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Haven't used it in a while. But steps recorder was pretty decent wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

stevewm posted:

Haven't used MS Word for quite some time, nice to know it gained this ability.

Yeah. Works fairly well, too. It's an option for those who already have office and don't want to download libreoffice or pay for Acrobat.

• Locked thread