Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

vermin posted:

The eggplant is an elaborate prank Chinese peasants played on nobility that got out of hand.
It's where the emoji meaning comes from. Peasants were basically telling the nobles to eat a bag of dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pinterest tips that actually work: spiral-cut hotdogs are crispy and good.

(side-by-side comparison)

Also, pretzel buns are pretty easy if you have time to let them rise:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

rgocs posted:

I always thought tomatoes originated from Mexico. Google says turns out they grow wild in Peru but the Aztecs in Mexico were the first to cultivate them. The more you know.
Current evidence suggests that all the Solanaceae originated in South America. Tomatillos propagated throughout South and Central America before European intervention and tomatoes are descended from tomatillos, but if pick you a tomato in Mexico today you're holding a fruit whose descent has to be traced through Spanish colonisation rather than directly from the tomatillos that grew natively in Mexico millions of years ago (although if you go further back still they all have a common ancestor in South America).

The earliest written records for Spanish interaction with tomatoes are complicated by the by the fact that they (the Spaniards) were operating under the misconception that the Nahuatl word tomatl referred to tomatillos rather than fruit in general and so their records appear to confound (what we would now call) tomatillos, the larger fruit grown in the Andes which are the ancestors of our modern tomato cultivars, and capsicum peppers.

The Midniter posted:

How accurate is the "common wisdom" that tomatoes were seen as poisonous, and how long did that last?
That's a somewhat difficult question to answer. A hundred years from now when someone asks how accurate the common wisdom is that people in 2017 believed that gluten is poisonous, what's the answer?

It was clearly the case that in the Old World plants recently imported from the New World were often looked at with suspicion. In many places tomatoes were grown purely for ornamental purposes. But there's evidence that they were in regular culinary use despite this---the earliest surviving written recipes involving tomatoes are from the end of the 17th Century, but they seem to refer to an earlier tradition...Italian recipes referring to tomatoes prepared in the Spanish style, despite no such written Spanish recipes surviving to the present day. There are also numerous depictions of tomatoes in art that suggest they were seen as a culinary ingredient well before the first surviving written recipes appeared.

It's also appears to be the case that some communities were more willing to adopt the use of the tomato than the larger societies in which they lived. The UK, for example, continued to be suspicious of tomatoes longer than most of Europe, but there's evidence that British Jews were happily cooking with them (and presumably being regarded with suspicion themselves as a result of it) long before they became a universal commonplace.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Beet risotto is awesome. I made the first-google-result recipe with garden beets, subbing fresh dill for the parsley and adding some fresh chopped garlic, and it's the best thing I've eaten in two weeks.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

SubG posted:

Current evidence suggests that all the Solanaceae originated in South America. Tomatillos propagated throughout South and Central America before European intervention and tomatoes are descended from tomatillos, but if pick you a tomato in Mexico today you're holding a fruit whose descent has to be traced through Spanish colonisation rather than directly from the tomatillos that grew natively in Mexico millions of years ago (although if you go further back still they all have a common ancestor in South America).

The earliest written records for Spanish interaction with tomatoes are complicated by the by the fact that they (the Spaniards) were operating under the misconception that the Nahuatl word tomatl referred to tomatillos rather than fruit in general and so their records appear to confound (what we would now call) tomatillos, the larger fruit grown in the Andes which are the ancestors of our modern tomato cultivars, and capsicum peppers.

That's a somewhat difficult question to answer. A hundred years from now when someone asks how accurate the common wisdom is that people in 2017 believed that gluten is poisonous, what's the answer?

It was clearly the case that in the Old World plants recently imported from the New World were often looked at with suspicion. In many places tomatoes were grown purely for ornamental purposes. But there's evidence that they were in regular culinary use despite this---the earliest surviving written recipes involving tomatoes are from the end of the 17th Century, but they seem to refer to an earlier tradition...Italian recipes referring to tomatoes prepared in the Spanish style, despite no such written Spanish recipes surviving to the present day. There are also numerous depictions of tomatoes in art that suggest they were seen as a culinary ingredient well before the first surviving written recipes appeared.

It's also appears to be the case that some communities were more willing to adopt the use of the tomato than the larger societies in which they lived. The UK, for example, continued to be suspicious of tomatoes longer than most of Europe, but there's evidence that British Jews were happily cooking with them (and presumably being regarded with suspicion themselves as a result of it) long before they became a universal commonplace.

I've got to get some recommendations on culinary anthropology from you- I spend most of my time reading about alcohol.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

I've got to get some recommendations on culinary anthropology from you- I spend most of my time reading about alcohol.
For just general poo poo The Oxford Companion to Food is good, not particularly expensive, and has the advantage of having been through multiple editions (so you can always pick up a used copy of an old edition on the cheap). If you've got a library or are made out of cash The Cambridge World History of Food is worth checking out as well.

Both of them have extensive references, so if you find yourself interested in some particular subject and don't get enough out of either books' coverage they'll helpfully give you pointers to more specific poo poo.

There's also a whole series of Oxford Companions to specific cuisines, but I can't offer any specific recommendations.

And of course the good old Larousse is often informative if you're just looking for a bit of history on some particular dish and don't mind it's very French/European bias.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GrAviTy84 posted:

is it a prank if it's delicious tho?

Did they do like a reverse Parmentier and be like, "Oh, we'll pay our taxes to these armed guards in delicious vegetables, except for these 'exotic' white/purple/stripey whatevers. You wouldn't like them." And the nobility's all envious and like "Hand those over EXCLUSIVELY"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I got a spaghetti squash randomly handed to me. Is there anything fun to do with this?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

I got a spaghetti squash randomly handed to me. Is there anything fun to do with this?

How much fun do you want, and how much lube have you got?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:stonk:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Brawnfire posted:

You could gently caress it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

therattle posted:

How much fun do you want, and how much lube have you got?

poop dood posted:

You could gently caress it.

So, gently caress or be hosed. Why does every decision in my life boil down to this?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hey friends. Local Ethiopian place just started delivering. Got the SO to have it for the first time and she loved it. We stuffed our faces with as much injera as possible.

Everyone should eat more Ethiopian food.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Especially Ethiopians.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

I like to saute it with some tomatoes / garlic / whatever spices you feel like.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

burn this house and everything in it

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Brawnfire posted:

You can pronounce it "pasketty squonch" for extra fun in whatever you decide to do.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

That's quite an act, what do you call it?

Sous Vide!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Especially Ethiopians.

Heyoooo

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Especially Ethiopians.

Dat's racist.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ethiopian is SO good though! Fun to make at home, too.

The collards and farm cheese with spiced butter is super popular in my house. ("ayeb be gomen", I think?")

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

toss it.

idk I've never bonded with spaghetti squash, the best thing I did with it before was make a pseudo japchae thing but even then bean theads are significantly better.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

squash bread is generally not bad

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I generally just bake it and serve with butter and liberal application of salt and pepper.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Probably just going to do that. Every recipe I see is just "roast it! Now, put in a bunch of things that actually taste good"

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ethiopian is SO good though! Fun to make at home, too.

The collards and farm cheese with spiced butter is super popular in my house. ("ayeb be gomen", I think?")

African food's uncharted territory for me. When I looked it up the first recipe I came across was an uncooked dough ball that was supposed to be dipped in a sauce and swallowed as quickly as possible because it's not meant to taste good. The second recipe I came across was shakshuka which turned out really good but don't ask me to judge when an egg is at the runny but cooked stage.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Liquid Communism posted:

I generally just bake it and serve with butter and liberal application of salt and pepper.

I've never had it but this seems logical. I mean, treat it like a squash and I bet it's good.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

vermin posted:

African food's uncharted territory for me. When I looked it up the first recipe I came across was an uncooked dough ball that was supposed to be dipped in a sauce and swallowed as quickly as possible because it's not meant to taste good.

Fufu is not really representative. It's like looking up recipes for Chinese food and saying "the first recipe I came across was how to make rice"

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^ Edit, yeah, that's what it's called.

vermin posted:

African food's uncharted territory for me. When I looked it up the first recipe I came across was an uncooked dough ball that was supposed to be dipped in a sauce and swallowed as quickly as possible because it's not meant to taste good. The second recipe I came across was shakshuka which turned out really good but don't ask me to judge when an egg is at the runny but cooked stage.

West African is different from Ethiopian.

What you are describing can be made super yummy, though. I've never tried it at home, but I've eaten at African restaurants where you can choose from several starches, and then they are steamed inside plastic wrap. Try googling for "African Groundnut Stew" (peanuts).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Brawnfire posted:

Probably just going to do that. Every recipe I see is just "roast it! Now, put in a bunch of things that actually taste good"

We use it as an alternative to spaghetti whenever we get it. Cut in half, take out seeds, olive oil, salt, pepper the cut side, place cut side down on a 425 oven and roast for ~30 minutes.

Holds up well with a meaty ragu.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

vermin posted:

Give the pan a slight jiggle. If the yolks move but the whites stay firm, you have a runny but cooked egg.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

poaching an egg in the liquid doesnt really transfer flavor to the white more than just putting the sauce on, IMO. just puddle it to 63, spoon sauce into crock or whatever, crack vizzled egg onto towel to drain liquid, transfer into sauce.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Doh004 posted:

We use it as an alternative to spaghetti whenever we get it. Cut in half, take out seeds, olive oil, salt, pepper the cut side, place cut side down on a 425 oven and roast for ~30 minutes.

Holds up well with a meaty ragu.

Ug, I disagree. Per my namesake, I enjoy ALL squashes. But spaghetti squash makes a terrible replacement for pasta. As was previously said, just treat it like any other squash.

All Squashes Matter. :colbert:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ug, I disagree. Per my namesake, I enjoy ALL squashes. But spaghetti squash makes a terrible replacement for pasta. As was previously said, just treat it like any other squash.

All Squashes Matter. :colbert:

IF IT WORKS FOR ME IT WORKS FOR EVERYONE

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm thinking of making Chef John's 1:3 butter mashed potatoes but I'm scared.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm thinking of making Chef John's 1:3 butter mashed potatoes but I'm scared.

It's up to you...

...youaretheDarthVader...

of your potater.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been served cooked spaghetti sauce which was shredded and chilled in a salad. It was actually pretty good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It is literally impossible to add too much butter to mashed potatoes, but very possible to add too little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

vermin posted:

Ghanaian is probably the safest to start as West African cuisine influenced Creole. Groundnut soup and red-red are delicious and easy.