Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

How's that free healthcare working out?

Single-payer is p good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Methanar posted:

Single-payer is p good.

It really is :hfive:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Tab8715 posted:

Well, I'm being asked by a "security person" how do I secure SharePoint?

My immediate answer is by understanding how SharePoint works in the first place and if you don't know... well...

I would think the first question is 'what is there to secure'? Also start getting into the O365 Security and Compliance portal and understanding the attack vectors. But gently caress that guy for asking you to do his job, haha

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

jaegerx posted:

I'm in a 2300 sqft house with no state income tax.

What my mom does in her free time is her own business. Last I heard she was screwing Linkpark48xxx.

Did you have a guillotine installed?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Did you have a guillotine installed?

Texas hangs people

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When the revolution comes, it's a guillotine or the wall, and bullet holes lower property values for your next of kin.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

Texas hangs people

I can't remember which State but there was a convicted murder but thought he could get out of his execution by electing to be shot. He thought that he could get it dropped to life in my prison by taking it to court that this sort of punishment was cruel and unusual.

He was executed by firing squad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I think you might be thinking of Utah, http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-firing-squad-utah-20150324-story.html

The thing is, none of those people think it'll get them out of being executed, because if anything the alternative of lethal injection is more likely to be labeled cruel and unusual these days.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

alg posted:

Security, according to regs, is supposed to have someone reviewing logs on every server every week, lol
I am sure log aggregation and analysis tools (aka a siem) would satisfy this. It does in banking. I haven't read through nist 800-53 for this exact item but the ffiec exam guidance relies on the ffiec cybersecurity assessment tool, and much of it is in turn based on nist 800-53.

To answer the original question of securing the cloud, here are my top 3:

1) get their soc1/soc2/ssae16/ssae18/whatever third party audit report they have. This makes sure that at minimum, a third party believes they are following their own written procedures and that they are not doing anything truly terrible. Or at least that they were able to lie about it well.

2) do periodic reviews of account authorization.

3) dump the logs into a siem and write some rules to analyze them.

If you don't trust their third party review in number one, I don't know why you would trust anything about them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Got my in-person interview tomorrow and I'm getting kind of nervous. Is it frowned up on to bring a notepad with some pre-written questions? I also guess I should print out some copies of my resume just to have that in case they need it. Not really sure how much it will be needed though since this is my second interview.

I did go out and get a haircut yesterday and have my interview outfit ironed and pressed, so I should be looking sharp, if nothing else.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If it's a bad idea to come with some pre-written questions, then oops. I would think that would show you prepared for the interview by noting down questions that you had about the organization / position / etc. I always do.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The guy we hired after I joined the team walked in to our interview and handed everyone a small binder.

Inside said binder was a nicely formatted document covering every job requirements bullet point and how he met, exceeded, or where he was deficient regarding them.

I kept my copy for down the road as a reminder because that led to more substantive discussion beyond just "do you meet x, y, and z?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Preprepared notes are good, a preprepred contract with the Devil to get your job in exchange for the interviewer's soul is bad.

They tend to catch on around the "sign it in blood" mark.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Use it as an opportunity to show off your style. I brought a leather portfolio, neat and organized, with extra resume copies and written questions. When I asked the questions, I jotted down notes when they answered, which I then used in my follow up email. I let them know I was interviewing the organization too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Paper? Shouldn't all y'all be whipping out your Hyper Tablet 3000 and strapping on your VR goggles and haptic touch gloves? This is how interviewing is done in Our Modern Era! :science:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I have an NFC-enabled microchip implanted in the tip of my dick so just flop it out on the table during interviews

mewse
May 2, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have an NFC-enabled microchip implanted in the tip of my dick so just flop it out on the table during interviews

Yeah we think that's normal up here in Canada but it's frowned upon down in the states

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Vargatron posted:

Got my in-person interview tomorrow and I'm getting kind of nervous. Is it frowned up on to bring a notepad with some pre-written questions? I also guess I should print out some copies of my resume just to have that in case they need it. Not really sure how much it will be needed though since this is my second interview.

I did go out and get a haircut yesterday and have my interview outfit ironed and pressed, so I should be looking sharp, if nothing else.

I doubt a little notepad would put you in anyone's bad books, one I was successful in when it came to question time I fired off a few basic ones then honestly told them I'm really tired since my toddler had me up at 5am that morning (for a 10am interview) and this point my head is empty (I was also thinking why the hell did I forget to bring a notepad or paper).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh you have young children? Find a different job hippy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tab8715 posted:

DFW Chat

I'm flying down to DFW about once a month for my job and if all goes well I'll be moving down there in a few. I'd say Dallas is underrated and Texas gets a bad rap from not so good parts of Conservative Politics but the cities themselves Austin, Dallas, San Antonio are pretty much liberal bastions.

The only drawback is traffic, oppressive heat and lack of mountains. And it ain't as cheap as it used to be.

But they have good brisket.

Dick Trauma posted:

On a scale of 1-5 how Oklahoma is Texas?

Category 4

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

:golfclap:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

About to leave for my interview. I have a leather bound portfolio in hand with resumes and references on tap. Feeling pretty sharp. Hopefully I'll walk away today with an offer.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
One thing I noticed that with all the companies that I received offers from, none asked or even talked about references. Is that still a common thing?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Vargatron posted:

About to leave for my interview. I have a leather bound portfolio in hand with resumes and references on tap. Feeling pretty sharp. Hopefully I'll walk away today with an offer.

Good luck to you!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

One thing I noticed that with all the companies that I received offers from, none asked or even talked about references. Is that still a common thing?

I usually have them in reserve in my notebook, but I've pretty much put "References on request" for the last 15 years. No one has ever asked for them. Of course I think the last interview I actually went on was 7 years ago (current job). I've been really lucky both in management teams and working for a division that sees value in moving people along a career trajectory as opposed to freezing them in place ("because we don't want to have to train anyone up to your current role")

orange sky
May 7, 2007

E: nvm

orange sky fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 8, 2017

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
How would you guys feel about someone bringing an iPad to an interview? I recently got an apple pencil for my pro and gently caress writing on physical paper forever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

siggy2021 posted:

How would you guys feel about someone bringing an iPad to an interview? I recently got an apple pencil for my pro and gently caress writing on physical paper forever.

I wouldn't think it was a bad thing. If I saw you actively taking notes during the interview (paper or iPad) that would definitely be a positive.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

:yotj:

Changing industries entirely to work at a startup that does intrusion prevention for Industrial Control Systems and SCADA networks. Basically the same pay, but it also comes with stock options, better benefits, and no more dealing with the government (at least until they inevitably start doing public sector sales). And I'll be focused on selling/integrating two products instead of 15.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm working with an Oil and Gas company and I can see why have IoT Devices is incredibly useful in the field but the potential security risk is obscene.

And every SCADA network I've worked with inevitably has been connected to the internet in some terrible way because $x vendor needs data. :smith:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I'm working with an Oil and Gas company and I can see why have IoT Devices is incredibly useful in the field but the potential security risk is obscene.

And every SCADA network I've worked with inevitably has been connected to the internet in some terrible way because $x vendor needs data. :smith:

And undoubtedly with a default password, assuming there is a password at all.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stevewm posted:

And undoubtedly with a default password, assuming there is a password at all.

We used to use a password, but the guys kept losing the Post It Note it was on, so we just turned that option off.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

psydude posted:

:yotj:

Changing industries entirely to work at a startup that does intrusion prevention for Industrial Control Systems and SCADA networks. Basically the same pay, but it also comes with stock options, better benefits, and no more dealing with the government (at least until they inevitably start doing public sector sales). And I'll be focused on selling/integrating two products instead of 15.

Cool :cheers:

Sounds pretty interesting and also relevant

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

The few that I've worked on so far in my current/previous gig have been fairly modern, thankfully. The engineering manager for this new company said it's not uncommon to run into token ring and FDDI still running in certain verticals, though, especially petrochemical.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I've run across one that was working with radio waves and had their own frequency.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vargatron posted:

I loving slayed at the interview. I should expect to hear back by Friday from what the IT manager was telling me.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I'm not sure how my over the phone technical interview went today. On a negative there were a couple of things I just loving blanked out on and I probably blathered on a bit before regaining my composure and actually answering the question. There are also one or two things they are looking for that I'm super weak on, but I knew that going in and had it covered. On a positive side by the end of it we were trading IT stories and talking about our awful AT&T experiences. I was told they would give feedback to the HR recruiter I had previously talked to, and that they had a couple of other candidates they were looking at. I was really hoping to score an in person at the end, but maybe they just have a process.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished an Exchange 2010 -> Exchange 365 migration AMA

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you wish you'd upgraded to Exchange 2013+ first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kashuno posted:

Just finished an Exchange 2010 -> Exchange 365 migration AMA

Did you completely decommission all of your on prem exchange servers? Or are you leaving one up for management purposes?