Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Powershift posted:

yeah, right. You call the cops, they show up, next thing you know you've got 6 warning shots in your back.

Wooooooooooooooow! Oh my mama! I thought I was a fool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Powershift posted:

yeah, right. You call the cops, they show up, next thing you know you've got 6 warning shots in your back.

checks out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

In Wisconsin at least, the official "tolerance" is 5 mph over. The reason being is your speedometer is allowed to be 5 mph off from your actual speed. If you can prove this, you can get your ticket wiped out.

However, it doesn't change the fact that the letter of the law is 1 mph over is officially speeding, and if you go 1 mph over the limit on your driving test you auto-fail.

(Yeah I know 7 mph is definitely letter vs spirit, and a dick move on the cop's part, but he still had the legal right to cite you for speeding)

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

iospace posted:

In Wisconsin at least, the official "tolerance" is 5 mph over. The reason being is your speedometer is allowed to be 5 mph off from your actual speed. If you can prove this, you can get your ticket wiped out.

However, it doesn't change the fact that the letter of the law is 1 mph over is officially speeding, and if you go 1 mph over the limit on your driving test you auto-fail.

(Yeah I know 7 mph is definitely letter vs spirit, and a dick move on the cop's part, but he still had the legal right to cite you for speeding)

Driving from California to Oregon, the speed limits drop, and the cop to motorists ratio immediately increases in the cop's favor. I try to never go more than five over the limit when I'm driving in Oregon.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

xzzy posted:

Best line was explaining what the money handle is.

This was the guy I saw last summer:

I was standing on a slight rise next to an abandoned homestead, and was able to get more or less eye level with him.

I'm sure it's tedious when it's your career but from the outside it seems like a dream job.

I've always enjoyed watching crop dusters work, though living right next to an almond orchard did sometimes result in a huey doing a 180 for the next pass almost immediately above my old place (I halfway expected to start hearing Wagner come out of some loudspeakers). But as I watched one work last summer, it occurred to me that job will be replaced by automation in the near future.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Repo Man posted:

I've always enjoyed watching crop dusters work, though living right next to an almond orchard did sometimes result in a huey doing a 180 for the next pass almost immediately above my old place (I halfway expected to start hearing Wagner come out of some loudspeakers). But as I watched one work last summer, it occurred to me that job will be replaced by automation in the near future.

Yep. There's I can't really imagine a task that would be better suited for an (semi-)autonomous drone than aerial spraying.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Repo Man posted:

Driving from California to Oregon, the speed limits drop, and the cop to motorists ratio immediately increases in the cop's favor. I try to never go more than five over the limit when I'm driving in Oregon.

Ohio state police will shoot you for going 5 over.

edit: After they collect the fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ohio sort of has an excuse because there is literally nothing in that state but a high quality interstate designed to get you across the border ASAP.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At least you can pump your own fuel in Ohio.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

xzzy posted:

Ohio sort of has an excuse because there is literally nothing in that state but a high quality interstate designed to get you across the border ASAP.

After taking a 1,500 mile roadtrip last week, OH troopers weren't bad on the turnpike. Only had a couple with radar. But the toll fees in Pennsylvania...man they are mighty proud of their toll road.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
CA to OR isn't too bad.

I'm kidding, this is horrible. Why do I do this multiple times every year? Oh yeah, dog wants to swim in the river.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NIla9CpUC4

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I was just out driving to run a quick errand and had to merge onto a street as you do sometimes. The speed limit is 55 and I got up to about 60 by the time the merge lane ended.

Then this dude in a white Escalade comes flying out from nowhere and I basically have no option but to swerve into the shoulder. I do so and he slows down behind me, so I just say gently caress it and gun it.

My turn's only a few intersections down so I figure I can just leave and whatever. Then he turns after me and starts getting closer. I turned down a random street and lo and behold, he is actually following me.

Thankfully the police station is on my way to my destination. I indicated I was gonna turn into the police station parking lot and he just kept going.

Don't know what the gently caress his problem was. Don't want to find out.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Put down your phone and look back at the lane you're merging into.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

nsaP posted:

I'm home as I'm writing this but thanks. Nor do I use my phone when I'm driving.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's a short compilation of 7 months of driving my hour long commute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNFERIiWP3E

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

nsaP posted:

Unable. B pillar blocking my view. Thank God it's there for my safety.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Do you think augmented reality glasses would be a supplement or distraction to driving? Like I think looking through pillars F35 style would be :krad:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They could be but considering how long it took them to get VR glasses fast enough to not cause projectile vomit in half the population, I'm not sure I trust automobile manufacturers to pull it off any time soon.

It's far more likely we'll get a red light on the dashboard when the onboard LIDAR detects cross traffic.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

um excuse me posted:

Do you think augmented reality glasses would be a supplement or distraction to driving? Like I think looking through pillars F35 style would be :krad:

It would be fine if they would using machine vision to find potential problems and point them out. Big red flashing reticle around kids about to walk out into the street or highlighting cars that are on a collision course. Throw in a point system for missing them and there we go.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BigPaddy posted:

It would be fine if they would using machine vision to find potential problems and point them out. Big red flashing reticle around kids about to walk out into the street or highlighting cars that are on a collision course. Throw in a point system for missing them and there we go.

I like the idea of optional sounds/lights to warn/alert you of things:

e.g. my satnav bongs when I am at the speed limit, which stops my speed from drifting up without my having to check the speedo every minute.
Some cars have a something that warns you when someone is in your blind spot.

and a lot of people would benefit from a loud buzzer when they get too closer to the car in front and would not be able to brake in time.

However, I stress the 'optional' part. I don't need the car to incessantly boing away when I have the door open with the key in - not least because you can't lock my doors without the key in your hand.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The best move is to lock your car, put your key in your purse, throw your purse in the trunk, then close the trunk. No amount of bonging can stop me from doing that stupid rear end poo poo again!!

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Protocol7 posted:

I was just out driving to run a quick errand and had to merge onto a street as you do sometimes. The speed limit is 55 and I got up to about 60 by the time the merge lane ended.

Then this dude in a white Escalade comes flying out from nowhere and I basically have no option but to swerve into the shoulder. I do so and he slows down behind me, so I just say gently caress it and gun it.

My turn's only a few intersections down so I figure I can just leave and whatever. Then he turns after me and starts getting closer. I turned down a random street and lo and behold, he is actually following me.

Thankfully the police station is on my way to my destination. I indicated I was gonna turn into the police station parking lot and he just kept going.

Don't know what the gently caress his problem was. Don't want to find out.

I mean, road rage isn't cool and all, but no car ever came from nowhere. It was in a blind spot or you just managed to not see the thing for whatever reason. It happens, every one has done it, and it's seriously easy when getting up to speed for a merge due to the b-pillar and mirror arrangement. It's a lessons learned, not a car from nowhere.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If you can't be aware of your surroundings at all times while operating a motor vehicle, you need to lose your license.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I duck and weave like a boxer when approaching intersections and merges to see around my pillars and mirror.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

carry on then posted:

If you can't be aware of your surroundings at all times while operating a motor vehicle, you need to lose your license.

Just lol if you don't stay locked in your bedroom at all times for fear of losing awareness for even a second of your ~70 years on this Earth.

ilmucche posted:

I duck and weave like a boxer when approaching intersections and merges to see around my pillars and mirror.

My neck is too stiff for all that. They'll move.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

carry on then posted:

This is hyperbolic. We're only humans with brains trying to make systems of what information we can pull together. Everybody will fail at this at one point or another, it's a matter of doing our best to be safe.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

ilmucche posted:

My old Corolla has a manual outside mirror adjust that works great for merging. I can scan two lanes to the left and back in a second without a hint of b pillar blocking my view.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

flightless greeb posted:

The best move is to lock your car, put your key in your purse, throw your purse in the trunk, then close the trunk. No amount of bonging can stop me from doing that stupid rear end poo poo again!!

No, but modern proximity key systems can.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SlapActionJackson posted:

No, but modern proximity key systems can.

Chic Faraday purse.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

To anyone who feels like their car has a massive blindspot: Readjust your mirrors. I did this a few months ago on both my old Camry and current Focus, and I can watch a car in all my mirrors, without turning my head, until they're directly next to my door.

I used this video to help me set it up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyL-SjuJ8p4&t=180s

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Deeters posted:

To anyone who feels like their car has a massive blindspot: Readjust your mirrors. I did this a few months ago on both my old Camry and current Focus, and I can watch a car in all my mirrors, without turning my head, until they're directly next to my door.

I used this video to help me set it up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyL-SjuJ8p4&t=180s

I feel really loving stupid, but I never thought of that. I'll give it a shot.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've got mine pointed out like they're supposed to be. Still gotta chicken bob my head all over the place to get around the b pillar. Especially if the conflicting vehicle is more than 1 lane over. That pillar hides SUVs no problem.

The biggest problem with my car is that the rear seat headrests cover the sides of the back window, which limits how far I can turn out my side mirrors since they have to pick up where the rear window gets blocked.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

um excuse me posted:

Having just finished a long drive on I-5, augmented glasses could be an amazing supplement. Seeing speed differentials to cars and trucks that you are trying to pass, lane markings in low light/visibility, GPS support to give you lane suggestions for upcoming turns/merges.

Nice part about driving in Oregon is getting off the interstate and taking back roads from Corvallis up to the in-laws' place. Beautiful countryside and not many tourists not paying attention to where they are going.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

sleepy.eyes posted:

I feel really loving stupid, but I never thought of that. I'll give it a shot.

I was taught to do that in my regular practical driving lessons (Germany). Though some cars do have really lovely outside mirrors. Depending on your car, there will be blind spots. Like behind the A- pillar on some cars. My last car (KIA C'eed) had a rather massive A pillar, at 15m distance a whole car (or a lot of people) could be blocked by it. That can be fixed by moving your head around while making a turn.
And it pays off, to pay attention. It's normal to get taught to check all mirrors when driving straight. So if you wish to turn/merge/change lanes, you'll already knowledge of your surroundings. Though you're still required to check (and should).

It's just that a lot of people do it for their practical test. And instantly forget it when they get their license.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Dave Inc. posted:

I mean, road rage isn't cool and all, but no car ever came from nowhere. It was in a blind spot or you just managed to not see the thing for whatever reason. It happens, every one has done it, and it's seriously easy when getting up to speed for a merge due to the b-pillar and mirror arrangement. It's a lessons learned, not a car from nowhere.

I'm not going to argue that I'm a perfect driver by any means but this would have been a hard one to anticipate. When I say the guy came flying I mean he was going probably 70 in a 55; I didn't see him since he was blocked by a semi and he merged to the rightmost lane right after the merge lane ended (i.e. when I had no more room to accelerate and was forced to merge to the road).

I probably could have spotted the guy and avoided the situation altogether, I won't deny it, but he wasn't exactly being a smart driver either.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Ferret King posted:

I've got mine pointed out like they're supposed to be. Still gotta chicken bob my head all over the place to get around the b pillar. Especially if the conflicting vehicle is more than 1 lane over. That pillar hides SUVs no problem.

How is your B-pillar even involved with your mirror? I'm not understanding this. You should see precisely 0% of your own car in your mirror. I see a lane and a half going really far back in both of my side mirrors. If I need to see more I lean a little bit the opposite direction of the mirror. if I absolutely need to see my car in the mirror, I lean a little bit towards the mirror. If I can't see the car in question on the side mirror, it's either too far away, obstructed by another vehicle, directly behind me (where it's visible in the in-car rear view mirror), or right next to me in which case I see it through the window instead of the mirror. Every car I've ever driven (with side mirrors) can be adjusted this way. Blind spots (in relation to looking backwards with mirrors) are a bullshit myth.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 7, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

GutBomb posted:

How is your B-pillar even involved with your mirror? I'm not understanding this. You should see precisely 0% of your own car in your mirror. I see a lane and a half going really far back in both of my side mirrors. If I need to see more I lean a little bit the opposite direction of the mirror. if I absolutely need to see my car in the mirror, I lean a little bit towards the mirror. If I can't see it on the side mirror, it's either too far away, obstructed by another vehicle, directly behind me (where it's visible in the in-car rear view mirror), or right next to me in which case I see it through the window instead of the mirror. Every car I've ever driven (with side mirrors) can be adjusted this way. Blind spots (in relation to looking backwards with mirrors) are a bullshit myth.

What I'm telling you is that there are spots where a car is neither in my mirror, nor visible out the window in my resting head position, and my mirrors are as adjusted as they can get.

That make more sense or am I still losing you?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dave Inc. posted:

This is hyperbolic. We're only humans with brains trying to make systems of what information we can pull together. Everybody will fail at this at one point or another, it's a matter of doing our best to be safe.
Oh God, don't let the Captain Volvo, Institute Of Advanced Motorists types hear you say that. Admitting you're capable of error is the same as saying you mow down children for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

My neck is too stiff for all that. They'll move.

The Ferret King posted:

What I'm telling you is that there are spots where a car is neither in my mirror, nor visible out the window in my resting head position, and my mirrors are as adjusted as they can get.

That make more sense or am I still losing you?
Ladies and gentlemen, the people you share a road with.

The Ferret King posted:

The biggest problem with my car is that the rear seat headrests cover the sides of the back window, which limits how far I can turn out my side mirrors since they have to pick up where the rear window gets blocked.
So remove the rear headrests and re-adjust your mirrors correctly. Or is the comfort of your (I assume constantly occupied) rear seat more important than literal road safety?

I don't think anyone has implied that you should be able to see more than one lane over in your mirrors. I mean, it's great and all if you can, and some mirrors are extra wide and support it, but if you're thinking you only need to look at your mirror once then move over 2 or more lanes, you're objectively doing it wrong.

Dave Inc. posted:

We're only humans with brains trying to make systems of what information we can pull together. Everybody will fail at this at one point or another, it's a matter of doing our best to be safe.
I agree with this, absolutely. However, the above poster is a perfect example of pointedly and purposefully not "doing our best".