Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Pakled posted:

Wasn't that Tennessee game the one where the home crowd cheered at his season-ending injury? That was pretty classy.

I don't think so because he was actually playing pretty well in the first few games. They were booing him really loving hard in that Mizzou game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Treon Harris beating UGA after completing like 2 passes is among my favorite football memories

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I was at that Missouri game. The fire Muschamp chants were deafening

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/FauxPelini/status/893521522161274882

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

NCAA are idiots, you don't say

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

OSU has, at least, the goofy long snapper required to win it all:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Long snapper best position to play in football?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

K has a chance at glory at least and doesn't get hit (unless something cool happens).

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

My grandparents had some close friends whose son wound up playing long snapper back in the 60's and dutifully did just fine for 3.9 years but in the Big Game his senior year he sailed a snap over the QB and into the end zone, leading to the home team loss.

They got ran out of town.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

K has a chance at glory at least and doesn't get hit (unless something cool happens).

Depends on if you want to go out an hit someone. If you do, long snapper is the one guy that doesn't get blocked on punts, so you've got your chance.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Long snapping seems pretty cool. If they can get on to an NFL team they might stay there 15 years. It's not injury-prone and coaches don't want to make a change at that spot. But that also makes it hard for a rookie to get a chance.

OSU also had a long snapper earn a degree in aeronautical and astronautical engineering a few years back.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I think about half the NFL has dedicated LS, the others are just backup OL but there's some drat good longevity to it. Probably right up there with punting. PK seems like you can hang around but the majority seem to flame out faster than you think because they can't be consistent and every year the requirements seem to rise for them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

I think about half the NFL has dedicated LS, the others are just backup OL but there's some drat good longevity to it.

This might have been true in the 80s but 100% of the NFL has a dedicated long snapper these days. There was an early season MNF game a few years ago where the Raiders LS went out with an injury that's a pretty good example why.

Plus it's just easier that way, while all the rest of your players go off and do football things at practice you can have the LS/P/K just work on getting everything about the snap timing perfect.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Well, I just heard a Howard Stern segment from probably 7-8 years ago where Uncle Luke recalls how much he loved pissing on girls and would take players (unspecified pro or college) and they would have "sacrifice days" where they would basically take a girl and defile her up to and including pissing on her. He also mentioned taking the Fab 5 to a strip club where they all got blown on stage.

Mondays.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Nutt is offering to settle with Ole Miss for an official apology and 500k to start a state commission on sports ethics.

It seems to be a no-brainer choice because nobody but fans of those teams will even remember this happened in a few years but Ole Miss likely isn't smart enough to see it that way and will drag this out and probably lose.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Never apologize

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
No negotiation with terrorists.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

If you ever wanted more uncle luke (and you probably shouldn't), he writes for the Miami New Times.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/authors/luther-campbell-6330591

a real article he wrote about lane kiffin having the best football staff in Florida.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/uncle-luke-lane-kiffin-already-has-the-best-coaching-staff-in-florida-9277437

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

This youtube channel is cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pKQsRABBJU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Crotch Bat posted:

Nutt is offering to settle with Ole Miss for an official apology and 500k to start a state commission on sports ethics.

The 25-year cost of such a commission would surely balloon into the millions and furthermore it would obstruct Ole Miss's ability to pay players. Raw deal, if you ask me.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

LLCoolJD posted:

The 25-year cost of such a commission would surely balloon into the millions and furthermore it would obstruct Ole Miss's ability to pay players. Raw deal, if you ask me.

Or they could just corrupt that commission early on in the process, defund it, and make it have zero power.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Or they could just corrupt that commission early on in the process, defund it, and make it have zero power.

I automatically assumed that was what would happen. Mississippi, ethics, and a lot of cash, it just kind of spells it out for you.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

Treon Harris beating UGA after completing like 2 passes is among my favorite football memories

WHYDJA FIRE RICHT HUH??????

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Crotch Bat posted:

I automatically assumed that was what would happen. Mississippi, ethics, and a lot of cash, it just kind of spells it out for you.

There is actually a group called the Mississippi Ethics Commission who does things like make sure government bodies adhere to FOIA requests. The fine for disobeying the MEC? $100.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/894589040573517825

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

that's not the right sport! what an embarrassing mistake hahaha!!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, it's the only NC college player I can name off the top of my head.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Randaconda posted:

One plays for the Bears, you know.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

iospace posted:

One plays for the Bears, you know.

Does anyone really "play" for the bears?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Randaconda posted:

Like...in football, basketball, or both?

College or high school?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scarf posted:

Does anyone really "play" for the bears?

Only Walter Payton.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Randaconda posted:

I mean, you didn't know he went there I'm sure. But Lawrence loving Taylor is a name you know.

Also Julius Peppers. After that there's some other good football players, but yeah those are the two main ones I think.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Penn State All-Star Christian Hackenberg is having quite the camp

MMQB posted:

On Monday at Jets’ camp, Christian Hackenberg was having trouble just breaking the huddle correctly. During one rep in seven-on-seven drills, as he approached the line of scrimmage, a coach ordered him to re-huddle. When he broke the huddle again—in the wrong fashion for a second time—he was ordered off the field. No one expects the Jets to contend this season, but at some point, they will have to decide whether Hackenberg is the answer at quarterback, a decision that could affect their 2018 draft plans and their franchise for years to come. So for now, all eyes are on him. The next time Hackenberg took the field, he broke the huddle correctly and threaded a pass about 20 yards downfield for a completion. That kind of resilience will serve him well, if he wants to be the Jets’ long-term quarterback answer.

i didn't even know there was a correct way to break a huddle

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

He probably clapped THEN said "break" instead of saying "break" then clapping. Common mistake.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DJExile posted:

I wish the quoted section had told me what the correct way was, so that I don't run afoul of such a social faux pas.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I remember seeing to old pats playbooks. They tell you how to huddle, how to break the huddle, lots of stuff.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
They didn't appreciate him breaking the huddle by saying "JoePa did nothing wrong."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Paterno was dead before he was even recruited, let alone playing.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Yeah like that matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

I mean, you didn't know he went there I'm sure. But Lawrence loving Taylor is a name you know.

Also Julius Peppers. After that there's some other good football players, but yeah those are the two main ones I think.

God drat it, I should have remembered LT :smith:

• Locked thread