Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did

I will never understand people being shocked and angered about the Doctor being a woman when it's been hinted at as a possibility since the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

dr who is a loving childrens tv program
No that was a different long running BBC show.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

fallenturtle posted:

I can understand the position that morality is a weak argument, but with the slippery slope, do you think its unlikely given enough Nazi's punched that they might try to retaliate?

The idea is that Nazis want to commit violence as part of their ideology; they don't need an excuse to commit violence they wouldn't already commit. It's not like a Nazi is gonna think "I wasn't going to attack this minority, but now I will due to this antifa!" The only sort of violence I could see them committing in response to stuff like antifa activity (that they wouldn't otherwise commit, that is) is against antifa, and presumably antifa do what they do while understanding the possibility of retaliation.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

JFairfax posted:

dr who is a loving childrens tv program and people who get upset about it / are really into it are only one step down from anime lovers

Clearly spoken by a person who doesn't realize the horror of what would happen should a sonic screwdriver come in contact with menstrual blood.

Ytlaya posted:

The idea is that Nazis want to commit violence as part of their ideology; they don't need an excuse to commit violence they wouldn't already commit. It's not like a Nazi is gonna think "I wasn't going to attack this minority, but now I will due to this antifa!" The only sort of violence I could see them committing in response to stuff like antifa activity (that they wouldn't otherwise commit, that is) is against antifa, and presumably antifa do what they do while understanding the possibility of retaliation.

This whole time I've been speaking in context of retaliating against those who punch them, not the inherit violence that's part of their ideology. Are the Nazi punchers in this thread proposing to do it as masked antifa members?

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 7, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well it seems like it would be safer that way.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Vulpinetaco posted:

I will never understand people being shocked and angered about the Doctor being a woman when it's been hinted at as a possibility since the 70s.

Hahaha as if any of the people complaining care anything about the Doctor from that era (or possibly even care about the series at all.) They're outraged because a man thing is now a woman thing and/or that a woman is visible doing literally anything other than being secondary to something a man is doing.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

fallenturtle posted:

Clearly spoken by a person who doesn't realize the horror of what would happen should a sonic screwdriver come in contact with menstrual blood.

Oh man imagine the vibrations that thing could put out

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

This. Most Nazis are simply biding their time until it's possible to commit acts of violence against minorities without losing their own lives or livelihood. Some of course will try to commit acts of violence even if it will end up in them losing their lives, but few are really martyrs. However, there is never a point where a Nazi was somehow a "moderate" and became radicalized by being called a Nazi or by being punched. Violence against minorities is so ingrained in that ideology that dealing with it falls outside of the regular rules of free speech (this may also apply to something like Salafism or some forms of extreme Evangelical Christianity).

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh man imagine the vibrations that thing could put out

Sadly, I couldn't find a Dr. Who Sonic Dildodriver.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

https://twitter.com/ShitpostBot5000/status/894294598092283904

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Pembroke Fuse posted:

This. Most Nazis are simply biding their time until it's possible to commit acts of violence against minorities without losing their own lives or livelihood. Some of course will try to commit acts of violence even if it will end up in them losing their lives, but few are really martyrs. However, there is never a point where a Nazi was somehow a "moderate" and became radicalized by being called a Nazi or by being punched. Violence against minorities is so ingrained in that ideology that dealing with it falls outside of the regular rules of free speech (this may also apply to something like Salafism or some forms of extreme Evangelical Christianity).

I don't doubt it... my assumption has been its the law that's keeping most Nazis from going out and murdering all the minorities, not fear of antifa or similar anti-Nazi groups.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Cut off this guy's dick and give it to doctor who then.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

fallenturtle posted:

I don't doubt it... my assumption has been its the law that's keeping most Nazis from going out and murdering all the minorities, not fear of antifa or similar anti-Nazi groups.

That's an incredulous assumption. Law enforcement has a history with the kkk for example.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That's an incredulous assumption. Law enforcement has a history with the kkk for example.

And the implication that law enforcement has supported and enforced white supremacy consciously or unconsciously through its application of the law. Are there any examples of law enforcement assisting anti-racists in some manner?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fallenturtle posted:

Ok, even assuming this is true (it's not), why would further disincentivizing them be a bad thing? What, are they going to reach an underflow error and wrap back around to invading Paris?

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Who What Now posted:

Ok, even assuming this is true (it's not), why would further disincentivizing them be a bad thing? What, are they going to reach an underflow error and wrap back around to invading Paris?

Antifa groups as they exist today dont disincentivize poo poo, they actually function as a raison dêtre for prospective nazies, galvanizing them through a clear enemy and providing a semi socially justifiable channel to express themselves through violence in street brawls.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Fados posted:

Antifa groups as they exist today dont disincentivize poo poo, they actually function as a raison dêtre for prospective nazies, galvanizing them through a clear enemy and providing a semi socially justifiable channel to express themselves through violence in street brawls.

That's quite the claim, surely you have some evidence of this?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

This is my whole take on the nazi punching. Nazies are bad enough to break a couple of rules (and their bones if need be). Sure, a punch probably did not do a lot, but talking it over probably won't work either. I also find it silly to think that anyone watched that video and admired Richard Spencer as he pretty much tried to deny being a nazi in that footage. It was pretty clear that he was not only a horrible man, but a pussy as well.

EDIT:

"Hey, I am trying to deny being the worst type of person ever in the smuggest way possible while talking about pepe, wait why is a fist coming towards my face?"

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 7, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nazis exist to fight antifa but run away from antifa at every opportunity?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I was never under the impression that ANTIFA were actively discouraging fascists, and in some cases may well be encouraging some brutish types to get out and get into a fight, but they're certainly not creating fascists. The mentality towards white nationalism already existed, and if they're willing to go to a white supremacist rally and join in the fray, then they probably harbor similar sentiments and also deserve a brick to the face.

ANTIFA is more a result of an awakening in leftists to oppose the creep of fascism, and the numbers show that active ANTIFA outnumber active fascists/white supremacists greatly. A couple emboldened white dudes looking to put a meaning to their unabashed racism shouldn't worry anyone more so than the overall acceptance of defending Nazis in our society.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Nazis exist to fight antifa but run away from antifa at every opportunity?

Generally antifa that I've seen tend to not be too big numbers and don't coordinate well with other groups, so they go prepared for a brawl which plays precisely into the hands of alt-right groups who above all want a fight which allows them to directly express violence that they cant otherwise clearly channel through speech, a dimension in which they still must constrain themselves to dogwhilstling and innuendo due to hate-speech laws. Don't matter if the nazies get beaten, win or draw in the fight because they a want a fight above all which is why the 'punch a nazi' doctrine simply plays into their hands.

Now when it happens that some far-right parade gets countered by huge crowds of labor unions and plethora of other progressive groups which might include antifa, the massive overwhelming disparity in numbers means that usually no street fight happens and the nazies get drowned out.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/06/09/lessons-from-portlands-clashes-with-fascists/

Verisimilidude posted:

I was never under the impression that ANTIFA were actively discouraging fascists, and in some cases may well be encouraging some brutish types to get out and get into a fight, but they're certainly not creating fascists.

Yes, that's what I mean.

Fados fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 7, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if antifas are getting nazis to spend time and effort trying to beat up antifas rather than minority bystanders that seems good to me.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if antifas are getting nazis to spend time and effort trying to beat up antifas rather than minority bystanders that seems good to me.

On the contrary, if a brawl emmerges, they get lots more opportunities to punch bystanders in the chaos, which would stand out much more in a pacified controlled environment.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Fados posted:

Fascists already have their clear enemy in the form of minority groups. The reason they go on their marches is to intimidate those groups through a show of numbers. Antifa are the response to that, and they do so by responding with larger numbers in solidarity with the communities that are being targetted by fascists. This approach has actually worked out pretty well in the UK.

They're fascists for christs sake. Their whole ideology is centred around beating your chest at some idea of an external enemy. If Antifa didn't exist, they would still do their marches.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Verisimilidude posted:

And the implication that law enforcement has supported and enforced white supremacy consciously or unconsciously through its application of the law. Are there any examples of law enforcement assisting anti-racists in some manner?

If its not the law, then what's keeping the Nazis, KKK, etc from going around and murdering minorities?

Who What Now posted:

Ok, even assuming this is true (it's not), why would further disincentivizing them be a bad thing?

Dis-incentivizing them is a good thing. I just don't believe preemptive violence to be the answer.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

Fascists already have their clear enemy in the form of minority groups. The reason they go on their marches is to intimidate those groups through a show of numbers. Antifa are the response to that, and they do so by responding with larger numbers in solidarity with the communities that are being targetted by fascists. This approach has actually worked out pretty well in the UK.

They're fascists for christs sake. Their whole ideology is centred around beating your chest at some idea of an external enemy. If Antifa didn't exist, they would still do their marches.

I'm not saying you shouldn't oppose nazi rallies, but I don't think antifa, especially the black block types as I've seen in the US do a good job of stiffling them. I've never seen /pol as happy as when they're sharing gifs of street brawls in Berkeley. Please do read that the article I'v linked a couple posts above which does mention sucessful opposition in the UK.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

I was never under the impression that ANTIFA were actively discouraging fascists, and in some cases may well be encouraging some brutish types to get out and get into a fight,

That's chicken and egg. Both groups have people showing up eager for trouble. If antifa show up there's plenty of viable targets for skinheads to pick a fight with

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Fados posted:

I've never seen /pol as happy as when they're sharing gifs of street brawls in Berkeley.
the brain broken frogs will always be able to find something to sperg over dude. this is the internet, you can confirm any bias with enough dedication

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

Kjoery posted:

the brain broken frogs will always be able to find something to sperg over dude. this is the internet, you can confirm any bias with enough dedication

It's not definitive proof of anything to quote some dumb /pol posts, I'm quite aware. I still think that, given past history of the rise of fascist parties, street brawls are an essential component in the creation of these types far-right groups, of their growth and feeling of inner solidarity, and that you should avoid giving them this if you can avoid it. So you should either drown them out with your own overwhelming protests or fight them in other ways. Secretely poisoning their leaders would also be a good option.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure the defining feature of the nazis was that they got beat up a lot in fights. Rather that they went unopposed smashing up Jewish businesses.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fados posted:

excuse me but i think you've confused "antifa" with "the existence of nonwhite persons and unimpregnated women"

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure the defining feature of the nazis was that they got beat up a lot in fights. Rather that they went unopposed smashing up Jewish businesses.

But it was! Okay maybe equal measure racism and fighting but still. The first paramilitary group of the Nazi party, the SA, was pretty much a brawling troupe whose favorite pastime, besides oppressing minorities, was fighting commies on the streets and getting drunk at rallies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fados posted:

I'm not saying you shouldn't oppose nazi rallies, but I don't think antifa, especially the black block types as I've seen in the US do a good job of stiffling them. I've never seen /pol as happy as when they're sharing gifs of street brawls in Berkeley. Please do read that the article I'v linked a couple posts above which does mention sucessful opposition in the UK.

They seem to think there is some large American organization called "antifa" that has local chapters who go out like the ghostbusters with standard tactics and uniforms whenever they hear nazis are in town. The pepes mostly get excited at the chance to identify and dox these mysterious "antifa," not really understanding that the people who come out to counterprotest them are just a collection of people who hate nazis, one that might include violent punks and masked anarchists.

I had never heard of an American antifa movement until Berkeley and am still not convinced the people attacking the nazis weren't just a coalition of left dudes who love violence. The pepes are just excited thinking they have some discrete enemy and are most excited about doxxing because their imagined enemies hide their true identities like Batman, ergo exposing those true identities is like letting everyone know who Batman.

I don't think these brawls are going anywhere. The nazis who show up are the most pathetic scrawny nerds I've ever seen, and they don't get along with the regular skinhead kind or the paramilitary crazies like the oathkeepers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

business hammocks posted:

I don't think these brawls are going anywhere. The nazis who show up are the most pathetic scrawny nerds I've ever seen, and they don't get along with the regular skinhead kind or the paramilitary crazies like the oathkeepers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXRbIdaLD4Q

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The battle of cable street was not good for the Nazis

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Doesn't really meet the "intellectual" requirement for this thread (though, do they ever?) but Nick Robinson of Polygon and Cool Games Inc fame is getting ousted for being a creeper to fans on Twitter. He hasn't defended himself against any of the accusations yet (horndogging female fans, asking for nudes via DM) so it's looking like it's probably all true. He's definitely leaving Polygon and CGI is probably done too, which really, really sucks. Not that he can't be replaced as Griffin McElroy's foil but the two were close.

Basically what I'm asking is what are the odds of him going full Nazi like almost every other Youtube guy who bumps up against "political correctness" even once. He never struck me as that kind of guy unlike Jontron or Pew "RAPE!" Diepie but he was good at hiding it, I guess.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Taking about Nick being creepy and Griffin being connected to this makes me realize majority of my podcast entertainment is McElroy brothers and I dread the moment they too are stained.

But anyway, Nick Robinson isn't an intellectual, an intellectual say things like: "Is Holocaust even a bad thing? If it happens, is it even bad?"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Brothers are perfect and unsullied.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought the mcelroys first names were nick and griffin or are those different people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Griffin is a McElroy, Nick Robinson was the video editor at Polygon.

• Locked thread