Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crane Fist posted:

A lot of middle-class suburban white girls never read Fahrenheit 451 and now here we are

Fahrenheit 451 isn't that great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

True but considering how seriously they take the whole genre of YA it'd probably blow their minds

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
this does remind me of reading literal white supremacists try to reconcile their beliefs with loving drizzit do'urden, elf hated and feared for his black skin

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Guy Goodbody posted:

isnt it about tv and how its killing books more then about censorship.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Hodgepodge posted:

this does remind me of reading literal white supremacists try to reconcile their beliefs with loving drizzit do'urden, elf hated and feared for his black skin

My God this sounds incredible do you have a link?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yep lol

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Dreddout posted:

Yeah please share I need to see this. 14 year old me needs to see this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TomViolence posted:

There's a difference between criticising the content of a book and calling out everyone who reads it (which includes you, the critic who read the book in order to condemn it) as a bad person. Like, most critics worth their salt don't actually want to censor anything and it's totally fine to come out hard against a piece of media or entertainment you find execrable and reactionary and actively discourage folk from reading it because it's toxic or whatever, the dumb play here isn't having an opinion about a book but the active demonisation of folk who've bought it or read it.

edit: yeah pretty much what you said lol ^^^^^^^^^

The funny thing is that, judging from the review that started the whole backlash against that Black Witch book, it seems like they were complaining about the mere existence of people being racist in the book, even though they were portrayed as racists with bad beliefs. Like, from what I can tell it seems like the book has some pretty common racist fantasy tropes (like fantasy races being analogues for real life ethnic groups or the white-equivalent race being a savior to the others), but the reviewer cites all these examples of characters within the story being racist as evidence that the book itself is racist, which is absurd.

On the upside, it seems like publishers aren't actually responding to this stuff, and once the book was actually released the negative reviews spawned from the review mentioned in the article were quickly outnumbered. So it's mostly just an obnoxious and toxic thing for people who use twitter/tumblr, but as long as you avoid this communities it's not really an issue.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The funny thing is that, judging from the review that started the whole backlash against that Black Witch book, it seems like they were complaining about the mere existence of people being racist in the book, even though they were portrayed as racists with bad beliefs. Like, from what I can tell it seems like the book has some pretty common racist fantasy tropes (like fantasy races being analogues for real life ethnic groups or the white-equivalent race being a savior to the others), but the reviewer cites all these examples of characters within the story being racist as evidence that the book itself is racist, which is absurd.

On the upside, it seems like publishers aren't actually responding to this stuff, and once the book was actually released the negative reviews spawned from the review mentioned in the article were quickly outnumbered. So it's mostly just an obnoxious and toxic thing for people who use twitter/tumblr, but as long as you avoid this communities it's not really an issue.

yeah. like i could understand if they were mad at the analogues parts. but these loving idiots are mad that a bad thing exists and the book doesnt point out costantly on every page with big letters saying "THIS IS BAD", these dipshits are so far up their own asses that they think unless everything is spelled out perfectly, its bad. it doesnt matter if the book shows that they are bad, because unless its obviously shown obviously with no subtly. then its bad.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm glad we're at the point where internet is killing tv and tv isn't even trying to stay relevant.

Speaking of, the internet is really angry at Cartoon Network right now over last week's schedule. This is how a brand dies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I'm glad we're at the point where internet is killing tv and tv isn't even trying to stay relevant.

Speaking of, the internet is really angry at Cartoon Network right now over last week's schedule. This is how a brand dies.

hahaah holy poo poo. least its not steven universe i guess. sucks because gumball is funny and weirdly good and regular show was good for while.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Aug 7, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Teen titans go is good but jfc

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

uhhh guys... Lol...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zeris posted:

One thing I like to do is ask white males if they are between the ages of 15 and 24, so I know to be extra careful as they are statistically the most likely to commit a violent crime.

not gonna touch this one lmao

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

super sweet best pal posted:

How is this #woke

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

an actual dog posted:

actually the problem is capitalism, which has convinced people that the only way they have power is as consumers, but good try.

oh please if we had luxury space communism these creeps would be reporting each other for counter-revolutionary wrongthink 24/7

some people are just holier-than-thou rear end in a top hat douchebags

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wonder what they'd think of Huckleberry Finn.

Or The Satanic Verses.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I vote to ban Ethan Frome from schools because it's boring as poo poo, how about that

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Dreddout posted:

okay, but it's stormfront, so nsfw i guess

https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t492827/

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

okay, but it's stormfront, so nsfw i guess

https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t492827/

love love love love love that they go on to promote wizard's first rule and terry goodkind as a fuhrer approved author

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

oh please if we had luxury space communism these creeps would be reporting each other for counter-revolutionary wrongthink 24/7

a good post.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://twitter.com/resistcapitai/status/718958781640486912?lang=en

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Vox Nihili posted:

not gonna touch this one lmao

I'm starting to wonder if the joke was clear or if I'm over thinking the reactions

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In space luxury gay communism the people reporting others 24/7 would be the ones that would be rounded up. The rest would be free to live their life in peace. Tattle-tales would be punished by 100% unnecessary hard labor.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 02:59 on Aug 8, 2017

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like i could understand if they were mad at the analogues parts.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

uhhh guys... Lol...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/outmagazine/status/894664949015826434

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

it's a rip off of Tyler the Creators shirt he did, but this one looks way worst.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

"#ResistCapitalism SHOP:"

:geno:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

oh my god PLEASE let other companies try this. Please

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lumpy the Cook posted:

uhhh guys... Lol...

Yeah I remember that from the beginning of Jurassic Park. Also I don't feel like going all the way back to get a quote but Twitter is worse than capitalism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

We've done it everyone. We've hit Peak #Woke.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Wait are the bad guys racist? Why is that bad? Like, the antagonists are lovely, that's like, Simple Writing 101, not OMG NOT WOKE NOT WOKE!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KiteAuraan posted:

Wait are the bad guys racist? Why is that bad? Like, the antagonists are lovely, that's like, Simple Writing 101, not OMG NOT WOKE NOT WOKE!

gently caress context I wanna be righteously indignant about something

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

KiteAuraan posted:

Since the author wrote the racist dialogue, that technically means he had racists thoughts and is, therefore, a racist. QED.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

that t-shirt is such a supremely bad idea that i almost think it's an attempt to drum up more anti-lgbtq sentiment

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

it's really funny because the most common actual criticism by those who read the book is how heavy handed it is in making the villains cartoonishly racist assholes and basically beating the reader over the head that racism is bad

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
some people still dont know starship troopers is satire...

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

got any sevens posted:

some people still dont know starship troopers is satire...

Some people don't realize Robocop is satire

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

KiteAuraan posted:

it's the main character being racist but get this: by the end of the book she's not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

if to kill a mockingbird were released today it'd prolly be lambasted as racist and ableist.