Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/JenKirkman/status/894672615444553728

jenny's back

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

zegermans posted:

also what do think tanks do I actually never figured that out

OK zegermans, this was kinda answered,

Raskolnikov38 posted:

write laws for legislators, publish think pieces no one reads. welfare for partisan "intellectuals"

Hulk Krogan posted:

Produce the graphs and charts that signal to the Serious Adults in the media that your policy ideas are worthy of consideration.

but seriously here's the relevant Chapo episode on this:

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-108-night-on-bald-mountain-feat-matt-bruenig-51417

It's actually pretty interesting, apparently decades ago Congress used to write their own laws and pay people to research what the various effects would be if they were enacted. And then came Reagan and they said "why should we, the members of Congress, be spending our time and effort writing laws? Is that really our job? This is something the private sector can provide." And voila a few decades later you have the current situation where think tanks are funded by corporations to write laws that give corporations tax breaks and make charts and graphs that show giving corporations tax breaks is actually cool and good, and then the congresscritters can take those pre-written bills and vote them into law before breaking to go have another fundraiser with their billionaire friends.

So nowadays if you want to have a law that funds construction of guillotines or whatever, you must first establish a think tank to write the guillotine construction act of 2017, so it's both good and important that these new think tanks are being established.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

oh god here we go

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKao_Pox5A

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
"bernie is a kgb spy" is a weird hill to die on, but i guess we all gotta die on some hill someday

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Either she's dumb enough to believe it or she's just trying to gently caress with people. Either way it's not worth caring about.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/894687844232548354

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
that's the tweet of a mentally ill person, it's sad not funny

who is jen kirkman anyways?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NewForumSoftware posted:

who is jen kirkman anyways?

upper middle class comedian in los angeles

they've all become infected with this same illness, that only corporate liberalism can save them

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh god

So we've established that her barometer for going too far on the :tinfoil: front is "is anyone in show business mad at me"

I wonder how full-on nutso she'd have to get before someone in show business got mad at her

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rastor posted:

OK zegermans, this was kinda answered,

but seriously here's the relevant Chapo episode on this:

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-108-night-on-bald-mountain-feat-matt-bruenig-51417

It's actually pretty interesting, apparently decades ago Congress used to write their own laws and pay people to research what the various effects would be if they were enacted. And then came Reagan and they said "why should we, the members of Congress, be spending our time and effort writing laws? Is that really our job? This is something the private sector can provide." And voila a few decades later you have the current situation where think tanks are funded by corporations to write laws that give corporations tax breaks and make charts and graphs that show giving corporations tax breaks is actually cool and good, and then the congresscritters can take those pre-written bills and vote them into law before breaking to go have another fundraiser with their billionaire friends.

So nowadays if you want to have a law that funds construction of guillotines or whatever, you must first establish a think tank to write the guillotine construction act of 2017, so it's both good and important that these new think tanks are being established.

Also a Princeton study found that lobbyist involvement was the main thing that drive rewriting of bills and also their probability of sucessfully passing.

Your average voter has no meaningful effect by comparison.

Serf
May 5, 2011

This week's Economic Update has an interesting thing about the psychology behind the poo poo that is killing rural white americans.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Serf posted:

This week's Economic Update has an interesting thing about the psychology behind the poo poo that is killing rural white americans.

most people itt won't know what you're talking about, so just post it

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

most people itt won't know what you're talking about, so just post it

i guess for folks too lazy to google

Economic Update - Collective Action for Change

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Gen Z is just going to be the American manifestation of Japanese hikikomori: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/

Ignore the sensational headline, it's actually a pretty good study of what's going on

That is a good article but, I think the phones are a compounding factor, not the actual cause, since most of those trends start in the early 2000s when the financial crisis hit.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

(I for one am shocked, shocked to see an article about how the latest generation of teenagers is doomed, doomed I say, because they don't like working twenty-three hours a day for scraps.)

Do you wanna play?
Well you don't have a choice
Stand up alive
Cause the music hasn't died yet

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

https://twitter.com/JenKirkman/status/894692311992598528
:pusheen:

https://twitter.com/JenKirkman/status/894694271252664320
:ironicat:

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Aug 8, 2017

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/JenKirkman/status/894695373398298624

https://twitter.com/dril/status/873264183281889281?lang=en

:bagl:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

That is a good article but, I think the phones are a compounding factor, not the actual cause, since most of those trends start in the early 2000s when the financial crisis hit.

Well, if you go with the idea that the internet is a cause, it would make sense for the change to start back then and ramp up as more young people started to use the internet more frequently. When I was in high school (2000-2004), while most people used the internet, they didn't spend much time in online communities consisting of people they didn't know in real life (unless they were nerds). People may have chatted with random people they didn't know, but actually using the internet as anything more than a more convenient phone-replacement wasn't very common for your average person; they would get talk on AIM with their friends and maybe people they met in chatrooms or whatever. Stuff like Facebook, Twitter, etc really change the dynamic, especially with phones that now allow those services to be accessed from places other than your home PC.

I do feel like it's probably legitimately harmful for teenagers to spend too much time on social media. Teenagers still developing mentally, and any serious change to the way they interact socially is going to have consequences (though not necessarily bad ones). The same can be said for giving younger children access to electronics like tablets and smart phones. My mom taught first grade for over 40 years, in her later years teaching she started to notice a significant increase in students who had trouble with their attention spans. That's anecdotal, but it's the sort of anecdote that warrants being studied (which it is, fortunately).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
you know if you have to delete nearly everything you tweet an hour afterwards maybe you should just stop

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you know if you have to delete nearly everything you tweet an hour afterwards maybe you should just stop
At the very least make an alternative account not using your real name

Granted then she too would be one of the 'bots'

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Serf posted:

is there a transcript

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Russian CIA Special Chaos Agent Bernard "Bro" Sanders

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

this is really good and you should have highlighted the part where the dude goes in on trump/ryan giving 3 billion dollars to chinese company foxconn so they can pretend to create "jobs"

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

i never understood how people got the munchies from weed; it's always made me forget about being hungry. if i smoke all day i can get by on a few pieces of bread

Same. I have two beers and I'll want to eat a whole pizza. Get a little high and it's like "I think there's an apple in the fridge but :effort:"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

this is really good and you should have highlighted the part where the dude goes in on trump/ryan giving 3 billion dollars to chinese company foxconn so they can pretend to create "jobs"

i'll admit, the part where he came to the conclusion that for 3 billion they could've created 60,000 jobs that pay 50k/year was a real mindfuck

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

i'll admit, the part where he came to the conclusion that for 3 billion they could've created 60,000 jobs that pay 50k/year was a real mindfuck

but but muh free market

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/samhwils/status/894545291029991424

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Captain_Maclaine posted:

A goon in TCC figured out a way to potentiate immodium and then OD'd and died from it while at the movies with his wife.

LINK PLS

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
lmao when did jen kirkman go crazy? i only really know of her because she's friends with paul f tompkins i guess the two of them came up in comedy together. she appears on his improv podcast spontanenation every now and again.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

navyjack posted:

Same. I have two beers and I'll want to eat a whole pizza. Get a little high and it's like "I think there's an apple in the fridge but :effort:"

total opposite for me; I start drinking and I won't eat for eternity

one bowl though and I'm spinning the Wheel of Takeout

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

a little random

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/0...w&utm_medium=s1

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
its actually really great

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Opioids are a manifestation of the same lust to escape as the TV, beer, mountain dew, cheeseburgers and videogames that have caused an epidemic of massive fatitis and functional illiteracy.

Some people are always going to abuse substances; many could do so more safely were they regulated rather than criminalized. The scale of the current problem is a symptom of a larger social pathology: reality either cannot be or is not worth engaging.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gently caress that, the oblivion following death is terrifying

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
this nation and it's people are completely toast lol

im just pissed all the doomsday fuckos will be proven right

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk3WZuoHaco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Ytlaya posted:

Well, if you go with the idea that the internet is a cause, it would make sense for the change to start back then and ramp up as more young people started to use the internet more frequently. When I was in high school (2000-2004), while most people used the internet, they didn't spend much time in online communities consisting of people they didn't know in real life (unless they were nerds). People may have chatted with random people they didn't know, but actually using the internet as anything more than a more convenient phone-replacement wasn't very common for your average person; they would get talk on AIM with their friends and maybe people they met in chatrooms or whatever. Stuff like Facebook, Twitter, etc really change the dynamic, especially with phones that now allow those services to be accessed from places other than your home PC.

I do feel like it's probably legitimately harmful for teenagers to spend too much time on social media. Teenagers still developing mentally, and any serious change to the way they interact socially is going to have consequences (though not necessarily bad ones). The same can be said for giving younger children access to electronics like tablets and smart phones. My mom taught first grade for over 40 years, in her later years teaching she started to notice a significant increase in students who had trouble with their attention spans. That's anecdotal, but it's the sort of anecdote that warrants being studied (which it is, fortunately).

Oh I agree with pretty much all of that and I've seen the same occurring with my younger relatives. I think the article found a good compounding factor but, the overarching theme to all of these things is that teenagers are favoring escapism which I think is caused by a lovely situation they know they cannot avoid.

• Locked thread