Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Right Wing Media: The War on Cars

We're LONG overdue for a title change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see cars executed on live television. Provide an object lesson.

Maybe over-parodize it by having a much larger car with comically large tires and shocks run them over.

Like, really over the top poo poo, you know? Teach 'em a lesson.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

SpeakSlow posted:

Maybe over-parodize it by having a much larger car with comically large tires and shocks run them over.

Friend, the Avengers films have what you crave.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Pretty much this has been my experience. They just keep doubling down and even when faced irrefutable facts and proof that GWB or Trump has screwed the pooch, they'll just say something about Al Gore or Hillary. poo poo, for several months in 2002, I was terrified to speak out against the Iraq war. Didn't stop me but I still remember and the collective ability of these meatheads to resist logic and learning, as though attrition were a virtue in and of itself, is tiring.

They still think voter fraud, gun control and ACORN are things worthy of their consideration and continue to make "Al Gore invented the internet", "you didn't build that", "gun free zones" and "we have to pass it before we can read it" jokes as if they're clever. I overhear them ALL THE TIME repeating poo poo they heard on Savage or Rush and ragging on Dan Rather or someone.

I really think this is the true power of Fox News. Mostly I think it doesn't convert people to becoming right wingers.

What it does is feed right wingers a bunch of talking points to parrot that forms a sort of mental armor against leaving team rightwing when they gently caress up, like the GWB administration.

The talking points don't have to stand up to any real scrutiny, and they rarely do, but as long as they have something to recite, it's enough justification why the Dems are worse and why they should stay with team Red.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

Friend, the Avengers films have what you crave.

I guess Transformers would be too on the nose?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SpeakSlow posted:

Nah. It'd never work. The government would just fix it so all the hybrids and the electric cars would win every time. Or it'd be like WWE and the ref would be some nerdy global warming scientist dork that fixes the match or one of the managers would be some corn growing ethanol guy in overalls from the heartland.

Now monster truck shows...that's where you can see true, unadulterated, patriotic, capitalistic freedom on display, my man, if you wanna see cars a-gettin' wrecked.

You'll well up and cry bald eagle eggs.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

SpeakSlow posted:

We should attack their culture too, make the next sequel to Cars be a horror movie where they try (and fail) to escape from a junk yard before getting crushed into cubes.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

We should attack their culture too, make the next sequel to Cars be a horror movie where they try (and fail) to escape from a junk yard before getting crushed into cubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqT2uOa1-d0

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine stock cars with electric engines. Where you go to the dirt track and it sounds like a herd of cattle stampeding across a service road. The crunch of tin cladding and screams of the drivers as the silent Outlaws flip through the air.

I imagine drag strips where the loudest noise the dragsters make is in the burnout box. Where souped-up Teslas quietly whish by empty stands.

I imagine douchebag teenagers having to put waterproof speakers on the outside their cars and program synthesizers to simulate the sound of a terrible, terrible, like really badly done exhaust modification.

gently caress your car culture.

Question for the conspiracy guy. Are there chemtrails coming-up? That's my favorite part of the song. It's like a guitar solo, but with a mouthful of dicks.

=============================================
EDIT: Sorry BB, I'll contribute.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24518

Has this book been discussed here? If so, is it worth a read?

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 7, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I've seen a lot poo poo in my time.

But this is the first I'm hearing of a CEO of a car company waging a war against cars.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Smoke sumthin reads like a big troll, and/or an attempt at trying to sound like the people just being discussed in the thread.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

seiferguy posted:

Smoke sumthin reads like a big troll, and/or an attempt at trying to sound like the people just being discussed in the thread.

he reads like a white person trying to roleplay B.o.B.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am sure even if it was shown he did it, they would still sound like this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeeSparkle/status/894343469774368769

https://twitter.com/100PercFEDUP/status/894513469709574144

https://twitter.com/VivaLaAmes7/status/894512072637239296

https://twitter.com/BarryDenham5/status/894515978763198465

https://twitter.com/Tom4102/status/894251607432585216

https://twitter.com/MightyBusterBro/status/894213285393858560

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

SpeakSlow posted:

Trial by beast!
https://youtu.be/t-j2NVdhlfo

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

George Soros must be running out of money by now.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Leofish posted:

Ironically, Soros the boogeyman seems much, much, MUCH more powerful and influential than Trump could ever hope to be.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Leofish posted:

Fictional Soros is like Bruce Wayne: He has as much money as the plot requires.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I still haven't received any checks and I charge by the post. Obviously my posts are poo poo.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ah, now I understand that part in Animal Farm where Napoleon blames all the animals' woes on the absent Snowball.

So then, which coal miner gets to be Boxer?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

BiggerBoat posted:

Well...those explanations give me no comfort and only reinforce what I thought when I first made this thread. I heard Gore on NPR last week and 17 years later am still, like, "we elected BUSH over this guy?" I wonder how this nation and our world might have been different sometimes.

It's not even the skepticism that gets me, at least entirely. It's more the mocking and the contempt; the sheer out and out assholery embraced by people who listen to Limbauhgh who think that "treehugger", "environmentalist whacko" and even "feminazi" are the height of comedy and the ultimate burns. The types who intentionally buy fuel guzzling cars out of spite and make nerd jokes about people advocating for wind and solar.

A "what will be will will be" and "we can't control it" sort of attitude I can almost understand.

But the idea that they use it for branding and wear their anti science monikers as badges of honor just to piss off liberals people who might think that clean air, soil and water might be good things is what burns my rear end. Along with their smug conviction that they know we're all being played by "big science".

Leaving global warming aside, what the gently caress is wrong with clean renewable energy and less pollution?

e:f;b

anonumos fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 7, 2017

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Interweb posted:

I've seen a lot poo poo in my time.

But this is the first I'm hearing of a CEO of a car company waging a war against cars.

of course elon musk isnt against cars hes making billions in government subsidies and handouts. hes certainly anti petrol engine however and hes pushing for self driving cars which are a HUGE threat to individual freedoms. Politicians all over the western world are openly calling for a reduction in number of private vehicles on the roads, constantly trying to vote in new taxes and regulations that make it harder for the poorest and most vulnerable elements of society to afford a car. Just look at the difference in average car and engines sizes from the 60s to today. that right there is all the proof you need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBE0RKbRbl4 (video of obama telling african students the government wont let them have a car or AC while hes living a life of obscene over consumption and wealth )

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ericbolling/status/894543389349343232

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

I make Alex Jones look smart.

Go spew your idiocy somewhere else.

Maybe across a wall courtesy of a ragged fist sized hole where your bald spot is.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Just look at the difference in average car and engines sizes from the 60s to today.

Yet the cars of today with much smaller engines have more power, use less fuel, and are much more reliable than the cars of the 60s. Perhaps that shift in engine sizes has less to do with some boogeyman and more to do with technological advancements.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Avirosb posted:

Ironically, Soros the boogeyman seems much, much, MUCH more powerful and influential than Trump could ever hope to be.

You would think Soros would be able to find accusers and actors that didn't have anything in their past you could call them out on.
Hell, or even get one to pretend to be a right wing person for a decade or two and then claim sexual assault on whoever.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GutBomb posted:

Yet the cars of today with much smaller engines have more power, use less fuel, and are much more reliable than the cars of the 60s. Perhaps that shift in engine sizes has less to do with some boogeyman and more to do with technological advancements.

technological growth itself is a reptilian conspiracy

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What happens when George Soros dies? Who's the replacement boogeyman?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Azuth0667 posted:

The Rothschilds will find a man don't you worry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azuth0667 posted:

Still George Soros, probably. Obama leaving office hasn't stopped him from being the source of everything wrong with the government.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Hillary never being in office hasn't stopped her being the target either.

So clearly post-Soros Hillary and Obama will lead the Rothschild in some sort of dual-monarchy, like William III and Mary II of England.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

that's some rap sheet you got there.

Probably part of the Big Conspiracy.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Sadly for Alex Jones talking point man and his imaginary buddies: roads, quite like rails, are pretty much only useful for taking you to where they're built! Once you examine the usage data, very few Americans actually drive in perfect straight offroad lines from destination to destination.

The best part of those inane smokesumthin talking points comes from post-Amtrak GOP pushback. Trains were once loved by Randian psychos and captains of industry and cold-hearted autists, but since we might reinvest in public transit and light rail and move away from having a nation dependent on commuter cars paid for with debt... Anything but driving a dangerous, weak and wasteful 1950 fart truck (homebrew leaded gas?) with the exhaust feeding back into the cabin is apparently an assault on liberty.

Now even a car partially driving you to a place you choose is somehow a kind of affront, I guess. Glad to have the progressives (and the warm-hearted autists) on my team?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I think my favorite part of his Agenda 21 rant was the claim that Europe is getting rid of internal combustion cars. When they instead have decided to let all the big auto manufacturers get away with massively cheating emissions standards on their diesels with not even a slap on the wrist.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
We must preserve internal combustion engines for Scandinavians: both for emergency heating they output alongside their work, and for humane repentant suicide via carbon monoxide after minarets become mandatory adornments on the last of their stave-churches.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

of course elon musk isnt against cars hes making billions in government subsidies and handouts. hes certainly anti petrol engine however and hes pushing for self driving cars which are a HUGE threat to individual freedoms. Politicians all over the western world are openly calling for a reduction in number of private vehicles on the roads, constantly trying to vote in new taxes and regulations that make it harder for the poorest and most vulnerable elements of society to afford a car. Just look at the difference in average car and engines sizes from the 60s to today. that right there is all the proof you need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBE0RKbRbl4 (video of obama telling african students the government wont let them have a car or AC while hes living a life of obscene over consumption and wealth )

I must admit I'm interested and curious, could you tell me more at length via DMs that I will ignore instead of driving the thread off-topic.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

He said that the planet will boil over if everyone in the world has a car, a big house and air conditioning "unless we find new ways of producing energy". Did you even watch the video you posted?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

He said that the planet will boil over if everyone in the world has a car, a big house and air conditioning "unless we find new ways of producing energy". Did you even watch the video you posted?

The worst thing we've done to discourse is treating absolutely disengenuous arguments as things worth giving attention to and contesting.

That interpretation of the video deserves nothing more than "no."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

It's true your honor, this man has no dick.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

So, what are the chances that Fox News doesn't can this perverted gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/894718172301058048