Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
How many years until we have the government/charities buying smartphones for the poor because without one you can't really function in society?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You think the government has an interest in allowing the poor to function in society?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I thought thats what Obamaphones were

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
You can't really function in society without internet access right now. You don't strictly need a smartphone I guess, but if you don't have some kind of internet access (at the very least through a library or something) you are completely hosed.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
In my experience, most poor people who aren't homeless scrape together enough money for an android of some some sort (often used), and use public wifi as an alternative to a large data plan. If they don't have a phone, they frequent the public library for the computers, but without a phone it's a lot more difficult to get any work (even yard work).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cicero posted:

How many years until we have the government/charities buying smartphones for the poor because without one you can't really function in society?

Much like color televisions and refrigerators, smartphones have been driven down to cost points where even the poor have them in their houses. They just aren't as nice as the ones the other economic classes have.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah you can get a new smartphone for 25 bucks. As developing nations are getting mobile networks up and running, phone companies have been making really barebones offerings that are economically feasible to tap into those markets, and those are floating around in the US on prepaid plans.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And there's tons of second-hand smartphones and tablets going around, usually hand-me-downs to children but probably easy to find in pawn shops and such.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Inescapable Duck posted:

And there's tons of second-hand smartphones and tablets going around, usually hand-me-downs to children but probably easy to find in pawn shops and such.

Not to mention Amazon doing no-interest payment plans for their hardware. You could grab a 7 inch tablet for $10 a month (for 5 months), sideload Google Play and install Google Voice for free phone calls/texts on wifi.

Or you could get something like FreedomPop which gives a crappy phone and 200 minutes a month free (but their business model seems to be putting the boots to you if you go over)

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Internet of Things is a dumb idea. I get the basic idea behind it but it just seems like a bad idea. Yeah you can preheat your oven on your way home, but is that necessarry? Also people can hack your lights, fridge, oven, stove, etc. Its just too many points of failure.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Fs5GrUBwI

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7i7kj2jO4

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fried Watermelon posted:

I thought thats what Obamaphones were

Yeah this, that's literally a huge part of why the program was expanded (under Bush, but I'm fine with Obama getting the credit :v: ) from landlines to cell phones to cheap smart phones.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Blue Star posted:

Internet of Things is a dumb idea. I get the basic idea behind it but it just seems like a bad idea. Yeah you can preheat your oven on your way home, but is that necessarry? Also people can hack your lights, fridge, oven, stove, etc. Its just too many points of failure.

Open up the appliances you already have, they already contain a bunch of PCBs and microcontrollers.

Depending how old your stuff is someone might have paid like 20 bucks for that stuff. An 8050 was like 6 or 7 bucks for a long time and devices would use multiple.

Now an AMD cortex costs like 45 cents when bought in bulk and has literally billions of times the processing power and a fraction of the cost. Using that to add features seems like a good thing for consumers. You'd actually SAVE money and complexity if they got rid of all the physical dials and buttons and control panels on your stuff and just did it in software. Physical user interface stuff is common, it's not simple. Designing an oven with little holes to put knobs through costs them more than making 50 webpages to control that burner.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Roomba wants to sell maps of your house. From the inside.

http://gizmodo.com/roombas-next-big-step-is-selling-maps-of-your-home-to-t-1797187829

It's your house. You don't get paid.
Down with this sort of thing.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

http://gizmodo.com/roombas-next-big-step-is-selling-maps-of-your-home-to-t-1797187829

Yea, this is a huge invasion of privacy. I hope this poo poo don't fly in Europe or other places, so they have to disable it there.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

And that's why you stick with the cheap early models or just keep using a tiny vacuum cleaner.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

roflmao gently caress THIS poo poo

Its so hilariously and brazenly evil and intrusive, there is no good reason for this to exist. People get absolutely nothing out of this. Its ridiculous.

It still gonna happen tho, aint it?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well. You could always raise your concerns with the GOP Congress. :haw:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Until there's a high enough demand for built-in privacy measures, companies will just keep on doing that poo poo. There's plenty of money to be made off of personal information, but not much money to be made by promising not to use/sell that info. We're stuck waiting on the broken GOP government to do something (haha no) or until a breach of privacy bad enough to scare the hell out of people happens. The latter seems more likely as we enter a world where more and more people are going to have devices all over their house listening to everything they say 24 hours a day. Imagine your own massive data-leak scenario here. Maybe then the public demand gets high enough that it becomes a profitable strategy to advertise that your smart light switch auto-deletes everything it hears every 60 seconds, or whatever.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BobTheJanitor posted:

Until there's a high enough demand for built-in privacy measures, companies will just keep on doing that poo poo. There's plenty of money to be made off of personal information, but not much money to be made by promising not to use/sell that info. We're stuck waiting on the broken GOP government to do something (haha no) or until a breach of privacy bad enough to scare the hell out of people happens. The latter seems more likely as we enter a world where more and more people are going to have devices all over their house listening to everything they say 24 hours a day. Imagine your own massive data-leak scenario here. Maybe then the public demand gets high enough that it becomes a profitable strategy to advertise that your smart light switch auto-deletes everything it hears every 60 seconds, or whatever.

I (and about 4.5 million other people) had my SSN, along with my name and birth date, leaked in a breach of a fairly large multistate Job Seeking program. That's enough information for an attacker to basically ruin my life six ways from Sunday without even trying very hard. Four months later, no action has been taken, and all I've been told was "Here, have some free credit monitoring (which is only free for a year, and your SSN being on the darknets means you have to be vigilant for life now), put a credit alert on (which must be manually renewed every 90 days, and since you don't have evidence your information was actually used in identity fraud you can't get a police report for free credit freezing), and basically it's entirely your responsibility to watch your bank account and credit history like a hawk for the rest of your life. Have fun!" No lawsuits, no real help from law enforcement, nothing but anxiety waiting for some rear end in a top hat Ukrainian to open a loan in your name out of the blue one day for always and eternal now.

I have no confidence that there will ever be a data breach massive and public enough to demand stricter protections on user data.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's enough to make you cry out for revolution

Seriously tho, the difference in power of regular folks and the people who get rich from this is beginning to feel obscene. It's an emotional breach of social contract.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I (and about 4.5 million other people) had my SSN, along with my name and birth date, leaked in a breach of a fairly large multistate Job Seeking program. That's enough information for an attacker to basically ruin my life six ways from Sunday without even trying very hard. Four months later, no action has been taken, and all I've been told was "Here, have some free credit monitoring (which is only free for a year, and your SSN being on the darknets means you have to be vigilant for life now), put a credit alert on (which must be manually renewed every 90 days, and since you don't have evidence your information was actually used in identity fraud you can't get a police report for free credit freezing), and basically it's entirely your responsibility to watch your bank account and credit history like a hawk for the rest of your life. Have fun!" No lawsuits, no real help from law enforcement, nothing but anxiety waiting for some rear end in a top hat Ukrainian to open a loan in your name out of the blue one day for always and eternal now.

I have no confidence that there will ever be a data breach massive and public enough to demand stricter protections on user data.

Any security you think you had before this was all meaningless anyway. Your social security number and other information was probably already out there and being used, the IRS knows this and so do credit card companies and banks. Our financial system only survives because the amount of money being made dwarfs all the fraudulent activity in the system.

The only reason you're not constantly being hit with bills or whatever is because banks, the IRS, etc. match your details with other data to separate the "actual you" from whoever else might be using your information for their own purposes.

You shouldn't worry too much about it, if something looks fraudulent on your credit report (Which you should get a free one at least once a year) you can just call them up and have it removed. It's all pretty painless.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Have there ever been serious suggestions/whisperings of a law that mandates compensation if a company leaks your personal information/gets hacked due to poor security?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cicero posted:

Have there ever been serious suggestions/whisperings of a law that mandates compensation if a company leaks your personal information/gets hacked due to poor security?

There are HIPPA regulations that have fines associated with mishandling of PII data, and some others like COPPA etc. but in the US there isn't really much regulation about data privacy.

Honestly what keeps most companies accountable are credit cards. To accept credit cards your business is required to be PCI compliant. The requirements vary depending on your "level" but in general they stipulate how data can be accessed, stored, and collected. There of course aren't any fees associated with it (that I know of) but it opens you up to a law suit and/or revocation of your merchant account if you break those terms.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WaPo article examining automation at a single factory in the rust belt:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rise-of-the-machines/2017/08/05/631e20ba-76df-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html

You don't need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to add a robot to your factory now, you can just lease one for $15/hour.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I wonder if we will ever get the chance to buy or lease robots (or maybe buy a share of a robot) and make a percentage of money or profit share in whatever that it produces.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I wonder if we will ever get the chance to buy or lease robots (or maybe buy a share of a robot) and make a percentage of money or profit share in whatever that it produces.

I don't see how this wouldn't happen, it already happens with other tools and services in the world. For instance with 3D printing there are markets where you can sign up to accept print jobs. Most service industries work this way, by creating reseller markets. Large and/or heavily monied service companies turn capital investment into income with low/zero support cost by renting their widgets to other companies. It's a great model for businesses and individuals with money to invest, all you need to have is money and someone else does all the work for you. It's only natural to expect it to progress to robots.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rastor posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rise-of-the-machines/2017/08/05/631e20ba-76df-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html

You don't need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to add a robot to your factory now, you can just lease one for $15/hour.

The arms they're using in that article are made by these guys: https://www.universal-robots.com. The company mentioned in the article appears to be an installation and support shop.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Rastor posted:

I love that the administrators here are complaining that they can't find anyone who wants to work for $10.50/hour. Maybe that's actually pretty high for the part of Wisconsin the factory is located in, but in my area that's less than you'd be offered for decent retail work. I'm sure factory jobs offer drastically more reliable hours than most retail work, but it shouldn't be surprising that nobody wants to do monotonous, physically demanding work for near poverty-level wages.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

First the self-driving cars, then the self-flying planes.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rastor posted:

gently caress surveys, I guarantee you you'd fill a self-flying airline that was consistently 10% cheaper than its competitors

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

call to action posted:

gently caress surveys, I guarantee you you'd fill a self-flying airline that was consistently 10% cheaper than its competitors

30% actually seems high enough to convince someone to try this, so my guess is we'll find out soon enough. Even if only 10% of your passengers are willing to fly without a crew, that's still 10% of your fleet that you get to realize those savings on. I suspect acceptance for this kind of thing will go way the gently caress up once it's operating for a while too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rastor posted:

"A joke told repeatedly at aviation industry conferences puts a man and a dog in an airplane. The dog is there to bite the pilot if the man so much as tries to touch the controls; the pilot's one remaining job is to feed the dog. Many aviation veterans have heard the joke so many times that is possible to tell those in the audience new to the industry by their laughter."

Is a quote from 1991 and is a Referance to an old joke. Planes have been automating since the 60s

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

That's true, but the stepping from 3-person crew (with a Flight Engineer) to 2-person was a while back; additional reductions now are noteworthy. Especially if the industry seriously pursues cargo flying around with no flight crew at all.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The next 9/11 is just going to be some rear end in a top hat hacking a bunch of automated planes.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

call to action posted:

Until one of those planes crash because a sensor got hosed up and didn't know how to deal with conflicting or incorrect information.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Until one of those planes crash because a sensor got hosed up and didn't know how to deal with conflicting or incorrect information.

That's literally what the pilot is for (except on Russian airlines) nowadays; to take control in case of hardware or software shenanigans.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Unless the pilots get confused and crash the airplane themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

Then have a trained pilot sit in a room and play gameboy all day till the once a year mess up where he has to log in at a control panel that is exactly the same as the one he'd have if he was on the plane and have him fly it remote since it's not like pilots in 2017 fly the plane by looking out the front window anyway (although you can have a camera of that too if they want).

• Locked thread