Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

iajanus posted:

How could they tell?

Whether there were burnouts over or under it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

one nation under garbage

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The idea of Ipswich dissapearing into a burning pile of garbage is quite appealing.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 8, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SydneyLive2GB/status/894485451704225792

Lololol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I lol'd when it was revealed that the place all the waste was going was Ipswich. How appropriate.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

In Laura Tingles opinion, Dutton and Corman, the Potato and the Corbot, have decided to keep Trumble because the alternative is horrific, there will be no spill.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Who would roll trumbull at this point? Talk about a poison chalice.

Not to mention the tonesnipes.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Oh no, the cartoonists?

I mean agreed that it's ridiculous but who acts like people pay attention to political cartoons anyway

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Guys my plebiscite ballot has not arrived, I checked online and Australia post says it's been stuck in Chullora NSW for three weeks.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
CBA execs are having their bonuses zeroed this FY.

sauce: ASX announcement this morning

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Guys my plebiscite ballot has not arrived, I checked online and Australia post says it's been stuck in Chullora NSW for three weeks.

Govt to skip parliament and ask ABS to run same-sex marriage vote

what the gently caress

quote:

12:24pm
"It is so very unreasonable," deputy Labor leader Tanya Plibersek says.

"What is the point of this survey when people are already saying they will ignore it?"
12:20pm
"Strong leaders carry out their promises, weak leaders break them," Mr Turnbull says. "I am a strong leader."

"I have many other calls on my time," he says when asked - again - if he will campaign for change.

"The Australian people are never wrong....Their vote will be respected."

And that's it for the press conference.
12:16pm
Mr Turnbull says he believes Australians "are able to have a respectful debate".

He says the argument a plebiscite should be held because of hateful views being expressed is the "weakest argument" against a plebiscite.
12:15pm
Mr Turnbull is asked if he will be campaigning for the 'yes' case.

"I believe that relationships, marriages should be available to people like Lucy and me....and also to people of the same sex," Mr Turnbull says.

"Other people have different views on those fundamental issues and I respect those votes."
12:09pm
Senator Cormann will use the 'Finance Minister's advance' to obtain funds to run the postal ballot.

He says the ABS was used by the Whitlam government to run a vote on the national anthem.

The cost will be $122 million, Senator Cormann says.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WHAT THE loving FUCKHOLES

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

[ ] no one should get married
[ ] everyone should get gay married
[X] smash the coalition

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Look if they don't care about burning $122 million just deposit it in my bank account, I'll find a use for it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Are the government still going to fund anti-equality campaigns?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Lmao the ABS. A good and reliable department that is not underfunded to the point of being beaten into a state of weltschmerz.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hooman posted:

Who would roll trumbull at this point? Talk about a poison chalice.

Not to mention the tonesnipes.

There's one person who Abbott wouldn't try and undermine.

Well, not intentionally anyway.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
"Strong leaders carry out their promises, weak leaders break them," Mr Turnbull says. "I am a strong leader."

LOL

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Someone save the audio of that "The Australian people don't get it wrong" quote to beat Turnbull with when he's trounced at the next election.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is it OK to boycott this, or would that mean forfeiting the right to complain about the result?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

open24hours posted:

Is it OK to boycott this, or would that mean forfeiting the right to complain about the result?

I'm waiting to see what the gay community settles on as a consensus, go with that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its still non binding. If the population votes yes, they'll still drag their feet.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Much as it's a terrible option I can't see any reason boycotting it will lead to a good outcome.

e: not to say that it getting a resounding Yes vote will mean anything, but you know that a resounding No vote will be a massive piece of artillery for the muppets who want to keep this stopped.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What's more important? Standing up to the principle that the relationships of others should not be under public scrutiny and boycotting, or denying the bigots validation.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amoeba102 posted:

What's more important? Standing up to the principle that the relationships of others should not be under public scrutiny and boycotting, or denying the bigots validation.

Seems like boycotting it would achieve both of these things though.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Got sent straight to Ipswich

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

open24hours posted:

Seems like boycotting it would achieve both of these things though.

If there is a boycott, a NO result is more likely. That's where the validation comes from.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I can't believe such a trivial issue has come to this. Just legalise SSM like mostly everyone else has and get on with it, jfc :psyduck:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So what, is that it? People won't get the chance to cross the floor and pass the drat vote and save $120 million for something that these idiots are just going to ignore?

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

Teddybear posted:

So what, is that it? People won't get the chance to cross the floor and pass the drat vote and save $120 million for something that these idiots are just going to ignore?

Not until after the money gets flushed down the shitter, no.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'll be voting in the plebiscite despite vehemently opposing it.

I want to witness the awkwardness if it comes back with a 'yes' result.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amoeba102 posted:

If there is a boycott, a NO result is more likely. That's where the validation comes from.

No matter what the result is those people are going to argue that it has vindicated their position. Even if it's a landslide in favour of SSM they'll still argue that it has 'exposed significant differences of opinion in the community and highlighted the need for a cautious approach' or whatever.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

open24hours posted:

No matter what the result is those people are going to argue that it has vindicated their position. Even if it's a landslide in favour of SSM they'll still argue that it has 'exposed significant differences of opinion in the community and highlighted the need for a cautious approach' or whatever.

Are you talking about the bigots in parliament, or the bigots in the wider community. I was talking about the latter.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Parliament, but I think it's applicable to both.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

open24hours posted:

Yes, but it'll be a fuckload easier to laugh in their faces when they do if it's a resounding Yes, and the Labor party and anyone else chasing votes might grow some balls and realise that there's a lot of people who really care about this. Might even convince some muppets on the fence in the LNP that it'd be wise to get it done.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

:agesilaus: If 80% of the community voted to introduce slavery would that be OK?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

I'll be voting in the plebiscite despite vehemently opposing it.

I want to witness the awkwardness if it comes back with a 'yes' result.

The Plebiscite is a dumb terrible idea and shouldn't be held.

If they do hold it, I will vote the poo poo out of yes because if you're going to be a dumbfuck and ask for my opinion then by poo poo you're going to get it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

hooman posted:

The Plebiscite is a dumb terrible idea and shouldn't be held.

If they do hold it, I will vote the poo poo out of yes because if you're going to be a dumbfuck and ask for my opinion then by poo poo you're going to get it.

Yep, this.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont understand why we need to spend money on this when basic polling has shown its like 70% yes vote but then again I dont understand why the government makes any of the choices they do when they have the data to show what the people want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Laserface posted:

I dont understand why we need to spend money on this when basic polling has shown its like 70% yes vote but then again I dont understand why the government makes any of the choices they do when they have the data to show what the people want.

There is no point in being elitist if you can't tell people what's good for them.

• Locked thread