Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there still a viable Iron Commander build? It looks like all the popular ones gave up after 2.6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Hauki posted:

This goes out to anyone, I know a bunch of the 3rd party ladder scraping poo poo is down right now, but look at the ladder to see what other dudes are doing successfully. There's dw sunder gladiators (and slayers) in the top 20 of like every harb ladder right now.

Ok thanks

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hur hur these MTXs are ridiculous. No way anyone goes for them.

...the goon thinks as he browses the MTX store in town, full of people with glowy weapons, tentacle wings, and flaming skulls.

Jokes aside, I have a question: Should I go ahead and use Vaal orbs for leveling, or keep them for trade?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
You'll probably want them for filling out your Atlas. Red (tier >=11) maps require rare and corrupted for the bonus.

You can also use them on Armourer's Strongboxes to increase the odds of getting a 6L.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Too much? Just got to Oriath & I'm digging it

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Hur hur these MTXs are ridiculous. No way anyone goes for them.

...the goon thinks as he browses the MTX store in town, full of people with glowy weapons, tentacle wings, and flaming skulls.

Jokes aside, I have a question: Should I go ahead and use Vaal orbs for leveling, or keep them for trade?

don't use vaals while leveling, use them end game and serioustalk, don't listen to every goon who tells you to vaal random poo poo, myself included

(always be vaalin')

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
So I've been farting along with my 2h sword duellist who does bleed and lifeleech and now in Act 4 i'm suddenly dying a lot when before i was cleaving everything to death instantly. Is this a) a hump b) maybe put more points in +hp or c) lol noob needs to reroll and look up a build next time?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Merrill Grinch posted:

So I've been farting along with my 2h sword duellist who does bleed and lifeleech and now in Act 4 i'm suddenly dying a lot when before i was cleaving everything to death instantly. Is this a) a hump b) maybe put more points in +hp or c) lol noob needs to reroll and look up a build next time?

What do your defenses look like? I just finished Act 4 with a duelist

e: Try Enfeeble+Blasphemy if mobs are killing you, hp% nodes never hurt as well, Stone Golem can be a nice crutch
e2: Dunno about your build, but pick up the Leech nodes near the bottom if you can. Can always respec out of them later (that's my plan)

myDad fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 8, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
When do you start getting Jewels for the passive tree? I am one node away from a jewel slot right now (Two if I need to activate it with a skill point) and I am wondering if I should go ahead and take it or wait till I actually have something to use.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
The last 44MB patch keeps erroring out. Any idea why this is happening?

http://imgur.com/a/TyRgo

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you do need to spend a point to unlock the actual socket

they start dropping pretty early and you will get one from a quest in a2.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grammaton posted:

The last 44MB patch keeps erroring out. Any idea why this is happening?

http://imgur.com/a/TyRgo

Can't write the .exe file. Laziest way to see around it is to restart computer I guess, unless they hosed up on their end.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Unlucky7 posted:

When do you start getting Jewels for the passive tree? I am one node away from a jewel slot right now (Two if I need to activate it with a skill point) and I am wondering if I should go ahead and take it or wait till I actually have something to use.

Several quests give jewels as rewards. I think they're mostly optional quests. They also drop and you can buy them off poe.trade. Some builds rely heavily on jewels and others they can just be used to buff things like damage, life and resists.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

It's two, but jewel nodes can be huge increases to damage and survivability. A well rolled jewel can be like 20%+ added damage, some crit% and 6% life, totally crazy.

When you get them or IF you get them all depends on how far you need to travel for the stuff that makes your build work. Note that the good ones are also expensive as all hell so maaaaybe don't get too many for your first character.

I don't usually get any jewel nodes until I'm really invested in the character and in the 90+ level range. It's there that you need to make the biggest impact with as few skill points as possible.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Can't write the .exe file. Laziest way to see around it is to restart computer I guess, unless they hosed up on their end.

Haha omg I'm dumb. I should have tried restart. Thanks, that fixed it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Merrill Grinch posted:

It's always b and c :v:

At that point you should have 1800-2000 hp and elemental resistances as close to 75 as you can get. Might be worth throwing some alch and binding orbs at white gear to fish for upgrades or pick up something cheap off poe.trade.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i usually aim for like 1k hp in a4

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Awesome! posted:

i usually aim for like 1k hp in a4

2k is probably overly optimistic, but how are you not getting at least 1.4k

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

1k has just always been my "feeling ok about malachai" number for normal

sometimes i do have a good bit more of course.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
If you've played this game enough you can certainly be more lax on getting HP and resists. Knowing what the gently caress you're doing is a requirement though.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
My rough guideline is 300 additional hp by the end of each act

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I once fought Brutus with 500 hp. :classiclol: Anyways, looks like Neversink has pushed a nice update to filter.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

So one of the things that pushed me away from PoE when I first started playing it way back when is the fact that it seems a bit merciless in class progression. God forbid you gently caress up with your passive skills because you're really not going to get a chance to undo everything.

I think I hit that point with my brand new level 50 marauder who drat near instantly dies on the beach in act 6.

So gently caress. Honestly this is the one thing where D3 beats this game. PoE kicks its rear end in the lore department, the customization of classes, the maps, crafting, loving everything. But the whole shtick of "well you wouldn't respect your character if you could just respec hurr duurrr" is absolutely asinine.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rookersh posted:

so. uh

i just got the prophecy to upgrade storm cloud to tempest.

figured cool, i'll never have a chance to do that.

did another prophecy cycle.

got the prophecy to kill a brittle and get storm cloud.

should i uh. should i go get tempest as a bow ranger. is it a good weapon.

it seems to be maybe fate.

e: i'm level 24. if i do this now, do i get a level 24 tempest, or do weapons not really level like that.

Naw, your new Tempest unique will be set at level 32 (it doesn't alter item-to-item). It's still a great weapon though, it's one of those weapons that can scale all the way from progression up into red tier maps if built around correctly.

The idea around Tempest is that you stack +flat lightning damage everywhere, from socketing support gems like added lightning and innervate into your attack, getting flat added lightning on rings and amulets and gloves, and even a static electricity jewel for added measure. And because you stack all your damage in a single element, you use a lightning penetration gem to punch through the high lightning resistances from enemies at high levels. I was discussing some theorycrafting around this item back in beta (and it was a candidate starter of mine), and I was thinking of something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6RZwcQIg2k

If you're going to build around this, make sure that the storm cloud you upgrade has a high attack speed roll (48-50%), and an itemlevel of at least 50, so it can get 6 sockets total. That means you should seal that prophecy and save it for later, or buy a storm cloud with the requisite properties later. You want to fate up uniques that have the best pre-existing stats as possible.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I think a lot of people (me) like that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pastry Mistakes posted:

So one of the things that pushed me away from PoE when I first started playing it way back when is the fact that it seems a bit merciless in class progression. God forbid you gently caress up with your passive skills because you're really not going to get a chance to undo everything.

I think I hit that point with my brand new level 50 marauder who drat near instantly dies on the beach in act 6.

So gently caress. Honestly this is the one thing where D3 beats this game. PoE kicks its rear end in the lore department, the customization of classes, the maps, crafting, loving everything. But the whole shtick of "well you wouldn't respect your character if you could just respec hurr duurrr" is absolutely asinine.
Well, good grief, Diablo 3 is made specifically for people like you, so enjoy.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You can't really gently caress up your tree irrevocably. All you can do is take inefficient paths to things or not take enough life. Part of the game is planning your pathing to make both leveling and endgame playing comfortable.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Pastry Mistakes posted:

my brand new level 50 marauder who drat near instantly dies on the beach in act 6.

This is by design. A reminder to cap your resistances after taking the hit to them at the end of a5.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

myDad posted:

Anyone with Gladiator experience know how good Violent Retaliation is? Seems much better than Blood in the Eyes for damage, but the uptime on its buffs might make it a trap :shrug:

The moment you get a 20+ stack on the buff and go zooming across the map is when you fall in love with it.

More seriously, recently is 4s which is decent length, but if you're max block (which, you're a Gladiator), you're going to have stacks up constantly since you're going to be blocking frequently.

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

Pastry Mistakes posted:

I understand your frustration and felt similarly at first. But I think the way POE's skill tree works, the amount of specificity in some of the nodes, keystones that drastically change your character, etc. it'd be rather cheesy if you could respec at will to better suit whatever challenge you were about to face. You get a decent amount of refund points from quests, and there's a currency that isn't outrageously expensive (Orb of Regret) to get limitless more refunds, so no character is ever unsalvagable. I think it's pretty fair.

It might help new players if the tutorial stressed the importance of life and resists, because ignoring those for offense is the number one way to screw up your character in a costly way. Flasks and passive regen are inherently very strong, but you have to keep yourself out of range of being one-shot to take advantage of them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Pastry Mistakes posted:

You get around 20 respec points from quests, how bad can you gently caress up your character that you can't fix it with that?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

coming from d3 where you can change everything on a whim i can see why someone would feel really restricted by the poe system

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

d3 is also about gear checks rather than build checks (where as poe is about build checks first and gear checks second)

poe gives you little outside of the choices you make and emphasizing those choices means that bad choices are a possiblity.

anyway. Just get more % life on the tree and prioritize life then resists on your gear this isn't hard.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there still a viable Iron Commander build? It looks like all the popular ones gave up after 2.6

My Doomfletcher has 3 Siege Ballista totems and does shitloads of damage, do you really need 8?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

NecroMonster posted:

d3 is also about gear checks rather than build checks (where as poe is about build checks first and gear checks second)

poe gives you little outside of the choices you make and emphasizing those choices means that bad choices are a possiblity.

anyway. Just get more % life on the tree and prioritize life then resists on your gear this isn't hard.

I did get a few elemental resist nodes and am heading towards a keystone. Sort of considering specimen out of those nodes when I can so I can work my way towards more life. Does that seem sound?

EDIT: Maybe I should keep the elemental resist nodes for now but refund the one node I got to make my way towards the keystone, then spec out of them once I got the respec points (Still only have 2 at the moment) and I can cover those elemental resistances.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 8, 2017

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Pastry Mistakes posted:

If you die instantly in Act6 go back to Act5 and farm the temple till you get some points to get more life. If you hosed up your build go back do the respec points quests or drop some chaos on regrets.

Your issue is probably a gear issue more then anything though. After act5 you get cursed for less resistance and act6 beach drops a ton of scorching ray totems that will destroy you if not at least 50% fire resist.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I did get a few elemental resist nodes and am heading towards a keystone. Sort of considering specimen out of those nodes when I can so I can work my way towards more life. Does that seem sound?

EDIT: Maybe I should keep the elemental resist nodes for now but refund the one node I got to make my way towards the keystone, then spec out of them once I got the respec points (Still only have 2 at the moment) and I can cover those elemental resistances.

What's your HP at?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Picking up nearby resistance and 30 stat nodes and removing them once you have the gear to fill those gaps is a common thing to do.

Probably not worth reseting them until maps, unless you're really hurting for more life.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Unlucky7 posted:

Generally speaking I'd focus on life passives over resist passives. Resists are really easy to cap with gear unless your build runs tons of uniques. Meanwhile life has no cap and you want as much as you can get from both passives and gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I decided to take a stab at a trickster SR+RF build since I've been getting a lot of good leveling uniques for it. Path of Building says I'm at +167 life per second and 15k off SR stage 1 + another 24k off RF without actually putting in any gear, which seems pretty good.