Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

gently caress you no hes not and youre not my dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Ed is going to loving die when the wall breaks/gets burnt down by wight dragonfire

Tormund is on that wall :ohdear:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Apparently Tormund's actor wants them to get together and Brienne's actor doesn't.

Well, Brienne's actress otherwise has a chance to do love scenes with Nikolaj Coster Waldau, so not surprising.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo, in a couple more years, she won't need prosthetics nor makeup to play Brienne

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

In his defense, at 6'5 and built like a truck the guy is more fit to play the Mountain's son, Pebbles

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm glad Bronn did something cool and also didn't get dead for it because he's one of the last watchable characters in this show.

It also demonstrated that Tyrion was right about the dangers of dragon riding and will be even more funny when Dany rides Drogon into the frozen meat grinder and gets him or one of the others turned evil.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lezard_valeth posted:

In his defense, at 6'5 and built like a truck the guy is more fit to play the Mountain's son, Pebbles

He looks like he's put on one of the weird and hosed up armours from Dark Souls.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

JBP posted:

It also demonstrated that Tyrion was right about the dangers of dragon riding and will be even more funny when Dany rides Drogon into the frozen meat grinder and gets him or one of the others turned evil.

Riding a dragon is dangerous if:

a) The opposite faction has magic
b) You are a retard that charges right through the enemies line of sight instead of using your z-axis advantage or don't use your own land troops/catapults/trebuchets to disable your enemy's AA guns before charging with your dragon.

Like seriously, all Tyrion or the other onlooking dothraki had to do was shout at one of the dothraki down there to kill Bronn or stall him long enough for Daenerys to toast him. Or have your archers snipe him. Bronn was a sitting duck for that whole sequence operating a very huge and noticeable weapon even if the whole battlefiled was chaos.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 8, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Canonically, was Rhaenys a dummy?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Y axis. Come on man.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lezard_valeth posted:

Riding a dragon is dangerous if:

a) The opposite faction has magic
b) You are a retard that charges right through the enemies line of sight instead of using your z-axis advantage or don't use your own land troops/catapults/trebuchets to disable your enemy's AA guns before charging with your dragon.

Like seriously, all Tyrion or the other onlooking dothraki had to do was shout at one of the dothraki down there to kill Bronn or stall him long enough for Daenerys to toast him. Or have your archers snipe him. Bronn was a sitting duck for that whole sequence operating a very huge and noticeable weapon even if the whole battlefiled was chaos.

No one said the show was good. I want the dragon to die and for Tyrion to be like "I told u bro, I told u!" despite being wrong about anything.

Also is this post satire?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

*fires up wikipedia article about havoc gunships*

Well you see the verticality of a dragon grants it inherent advantages over ground animals like a chocobo.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Collateral posted:

Y axis. Come on man.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/z-axis

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sorry but the correct terminology in relation to airborne animals that breathe fire is actually the lateral axis.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

Yeah but he taught her for like 3 lessons half a decade ago

She's been practicing.

I thought the duel scene was brilliant, it called back perfectly to the water dance of Braavos training vs the big clunky broadsword style of Westerosi knights.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

lezard_valeth posted:

Yes, I can't think why someone didn't just shout down into the battle hundreds of metres away to give very detailed and specific instructions on where to go and who to kill, all without distracting them while they fought for their lives while being strafed and burned by a motherfucking dragon. I mean, it just makes sense that this would be the ri

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

No one else was expecting the ballista in the same way that no one expected a dragon to show up. Only Dany had actually seen it operating, everyone else was fighting.

Pretty sure she also managed to crisp a bunch of dothraki as well, so both sides would want to be slightly mindful of where the terrible wyrm was at any given time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

WampaLord posted:

She's been practicing.

I thought the duel scene was brilliant, it called back perfectly to the water dance of Braavos training vs the big clunky broadsword style of Westerosi knights.

What I learned: while the water dance is good for a petite person, a big clumsy knight can still can just kick the poo poo out of them.

Also, Sansa, knight Pod already, gently caress. He fought Boltons for you.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 8, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Parkingtigers posted:

Yes, I can't think why someone didn't just shout down into the battle hundreds of metres away to give very detailed and specific instructions on where to go and who to kill, all without distracting them while they fought for their lives while being strafed and burned by a motherfucking dragon.

You offer a very valid point and I agree with you that the alternative of accepting fate and just not doing anything about it was the right call.

I mean they just didn't SEE the ballista coming, they didn't have enough time to properly react it nor a ways to cut distances in a short amount of time like a horse or a bow.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Brienne stomp-kicking Arya square in the chest was top shelf physical comedy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Lycus posted:

What I learned: while the water dance is good for a petite person, a big clumsy knight can still can just kick the poo poo out of them.

Also, Sansa, knight Pod already, gently caress.

Let's be fair here - Brienne is one of the very best fighters around. I mean poo poo, she beat both The Hound and Jaime in single combat. The fact that Arya is able to fight her to a draw is impressive.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

JBP posted:

in the same way that no one expected a dragon to show up.

I think we have already established in this thread through ample debate is that the thing one wouldn't expect during fantasy war is for the side that you know has dragons not to use said dragons.

After all if they brought the ballista for their sacking of Highgarden was cause they expected the possibility of a dragon attack.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember reading about a Chinese tactic wherein you fire a arrow with a particular colored plume of smoke into a targeted area. The color denotes the action, the place it's aimed at denotes the destination of said action.

That mighta been cool.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

grack posted:

Let's be fair here - Brienne is one of the very best fighters around. I mean poo poo, she beat both The Hound and Jaime in single combat. The fact that Arya is able to fight her to a draw is impressive.

Though I'm certain Brienne was holding back.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

jfood posted:

Brienne stomp-kicking Arya square in the chest was top shelf physical comedy.

I loved the cut to Pod thinking "what the actual gently caress you just booted a child in the chest"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

grack posted:

This reminded me that both of this impressive deeds happened in season 3 and 4.

Jesus christ, Brienne hasn't gotten to do anything interesting at all for 2 seasons, and is shaping up for a third if the spoilers are true.

And they also removed one of her best lines in the books too

quote:

““A daughter.” Brienne’s eyes filled with tears. “He deserves that. A daughter who could sing to him and grace his hall and bear him grandsons. He deserves a son too, a strong and gallant son to
bring honor to his name. Galladon drowned when I was four and he was eight, though, and Alysanne and Arianne died still in the cradle. I am the only child the gods let him keep. The freakish one, not fit to be a son or daughter.”

:( Brienne

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
I get what the director/fight coordinator were trying to convey during the sparring scene, but turning Brienne into a stereotypical slow "HULK SMASH" brute felt like a cheap way of doing it since we know she's way more skilled than that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lezard_valeth posted:

I think we have already established in this thread through ample debate is that the thing one wouldn't expect during fantasy war is for the side that you know has dragons not to use said dragons.

After all if they brought the ballista for their sacking of Highgarden was cause they expected the possibility of a dragon attack.

I could expect to see a dragon out my window but I'd still piss myself and cry when it actually turned up due to disbelief. They'd also just managed to deal two victories in quick succession without seeing a dragon or anything out of the ordinary.

The ballista is also shrouded by smoke and a distance from the rest of the fighting (outside of patches of people locked into fighting one another) if you rewatch the scene. Tyrion can't make out where Bronn is, outside of a big bolt flew at the dragon from the battlefield. Dany struggles to find it, Bronn reloads, she flies at it to try and destroy the ballista and gets hit. It's not like she can telepathically communicate with the dothraki over a screaming dragon, shitloads of fire and clanging metal.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

IncendiaC posted:

I get what the director/fight coordinator were trying to convey during the sparring scene, but turning Brienne into a stereotypical slow "HULK SMASH" brute felt like a cheap way of doing it since we know she's way more skilled than that.

She already had the slobberknocker with The Hound, and in no universe should she or anybody in armor be as fast as Arya, though

She should be hulk smashing in fights

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought decent armour barely inhibited the wearer irl?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Big swords beat little swords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27M5KWI_q50

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I can't believe Sansa hasn't figured out that she should be using Pod as her obedient boytoy yet.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Soul Glo posted:

She already had the slobberknocker with The Hound, and in no universe should she or anybody in armor be as fast as Arya, though

In book universe at least it's mentioned a couple of times that certain characters like the Mountain, the Hound or Brienne are so inhumanly strong that they can wear humongous armor without being slowed down at all.

In the case of the Mountain in particular, he is also able to do so without getting tired fast.

Lycus posted:

I can't believe Sansa hasn't figured out that she should be using Pod as her obedient boytoy yet.

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Portman/status/549728930119557120

Tri-Pod for the Iron Throne.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 8, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

grack posted:

The fact that Arya is able to fight her to a draw is impressively lovely writing

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

grack posted:

Let's also be fair, Brienne is holding back because she's training against a little girl who she's sworn to protect. She is impressed by Arya, definitely, but if they were for real fighting...well, you saw that kick.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Not sure how Arya training for six months with the Faceless Men has turned her into an awesome duelist but I'll roll with it I guess. Autistic Bran is a huge improvement over other Bran too.

Cersei feels a bit played at this point but the Jaime scenes are still somewhat interesting at least.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ginette Reno posted:

Not sure how Arya training for six months with the Faceless Men has turned her into an awesome duelist but I'll roll with it I guess. Autistic Bran is a huge improvement over other Bran too.

Cersei feels a bit played at this point but the Jaime scenes are still somewhat interesting at least.

When he tried to heroically charge down Dany on his white horse while looking amazing was peak Jaime.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Brienne is also descended from Ser Duncan the Tall, so she's got +5 to thick as a castle wall.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Brienne being the second coming of Bobby B and just smashing the gently caress out of people is wonderful. Meeting her match in Arya was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just figure if Arya can masquerade as a fully grown old man she might as well have mysterious fighting prowess.

• Locked thread