Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like games where you experience your prior play, or something like it, from an outside perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I have to admit I really enjoyed when I realized they were just replaying the recording of the first play-through. It's those little touches that really make Taro Yoko's games so great.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Leraika posted:

So, can 9S explode too? Or do you just explode 2B when you hit that button?

Yes you can explode as 9s too. I'm sure Id will show it soon.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

It's been so long since I've seen an LPer explicitly poo poo talk one of the people in their threads :allears:

Leraika posted:

9S can explode just like 2B can, but instead of flaunting 2B's skirtless buttocks you get to see 9S in even shorter shorts than he already has.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I have to admit I really enjoyed when I realized they were just replaying the recording of the first play-through. It's those little touches that really make Taro Yoko's games so great.

No kidding. I was like, "wait why is it that I don't have control" then I realized what was happening and just started laughing hysterically because goddamnit I thought they were kidding about the recording.

This game is great, is what I'm saying.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why do my actions have consequences that I have to endure?!

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
There has to be at least one poor bastard that stopped there and left the game running overnight.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

InequalityGodzilla posted:

9S can explode just like 2B can, but instead of flaunting 2B's skirtless buttocks you get to see 9S in even shorter shorts than he already has.

There's an achievement for playing 1 hour of the game with 9s like that.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Tulul posted:

There has to be at least one poor bastard that stopped there and left the game running overnight.

I didn't leave it running overnight but...I will admit I stepped away for about 15 minutes to make a sandwich and was confused, then annoyed, then wildly amused when I realized what was happening.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Dark Id posted:

This raises a lot of questions. Like did humans give androids the ability to gain and lose weight, which seems unlikely given an earlier conversation during a sidequest where 2B didn’t seem to know about humans being able to get fat. Which means they programmed androids dumb enough to not know exercise doesn’t actually do anything for them... Well, who knows? It’s canonical that Drakenier universe androids can get drunk despite not needing to eat or drink anything besides water. Anything is possible.

If I had to guess I'd say it's just that one specific android that's capable of losing and gaining weight. That seems like something the scientists in the Nier/Drakengard universe would do.

Scientist: Hey guys guess what? I just spent 80 billion dollars worth of grant money building a single android capable of gaining and losing weight! Also, I programmed her to feel super self-conscious about it, you know just to be a dick. Welp, my work here is done. Now I'm off to spend 200 billion dollars worth of grant money to design androids capable of both alcoholism and having existential crises, that seems like a winning combination to me!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
It does have a limit on the recording. Eventually it'll say "ran out of storage space" or something like that and boot you out.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Tulul posted:

In a shockingly generous move, you can skip it. Unless you like staring at the same screen for 8 hours straight, I don't judge. Much.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Leraika posted:

That would be hilarious.
'Press and hold thumb sticks to detonate AI sidekick'

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Crasical posted:

That would be hilarious.
'Press and hold thumb sticks to detonate AI sidekick'

That's already what happens when you've captured an undead thrall, so why not?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Mazerunner posted:

It does have a limit on the recording. Eventually it'll say "ran out of storage space" or something like that and boot you out.

Neat! That's probably informed by programming needs, but it's also good for the player experience and works in-universe!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

There is at least one pretty good reward from the Hacking Challenge, you get a large number of very rare upgrade materials from it. Specifically it's stuff for the Pods I believe. It's also incredibly easy to do if you're willing to turn on super easy mode and equip the auto-target/attack/move stuff because you can literally win by doing nothing in the Hacking Mini-game with those equipped.

Also I agree that the record and play back to you thing is very clever and well done.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Now that we've finished Route A, is that run from the most recent GDQ safe to watch?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It ends at Ending A, yes. I don't think they mentioned any spoilers during the run, but don't quote me on that.

A pretty good watch, though; Halfcoordinated is great.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I'm also a big fan of 9S's playstyle, the hacking makes the parts of route B that you have to replay trivial enough that it doesn't matter and it also serves as a way to spice up the normal fighting whenever you feel like it. Not sure I understand the complaint about hacking breaking dialogue as it's entirely optional to start hacking.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

With hacking it's entirely possible to murder someone before they finish their first line or assume their final form

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Considering all the android corpses we see in the desert and theme park, seems like no one actually uses that self destruct option?

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Fredrik1 posted:

I'm also a big fan of 9S's playstyle, the hacking makes the parts of route B that you have to replay trivial enough that it doesn't matter and it also serves as a way to spice up the normal fighting whenever you feel like it. Not sure I understand the complaint about hacking breaking dialogue as it's entirely optional to start hacking.

Yeah, I don't understand these complaints about hacking, either. There are only a few mandatory hacking sections and you literally cannot fail those, otherwise you're free to hack-n-slash with 9S.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Zagglezig posted:

Considering all the android corpses we see in the desert and theme park, seems like no one actually uses that self destruct option?

Given that it takes several whole seconds to go off, it's more likely they get capped before they can set it off.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i love nines

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zagglezig posted:

I think only YorHa androids have black boxes. But yeah they might've been killed before they could use them.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That recording bit is the funniest change in the entirety of Route B. There's other neat bits but that is the funniest. Although I guess it depends on just how much you futzed with the settings.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Or if you're like me and put it down to go take a dump during that section :shepface: That took a while to get past.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Ryas posted:

Yeah, I don't understand these complaints about hacking, either. There are only a few mandatory hacking sections and you literally cannot fail those, otherwise you're free to hack-n-slash with 9S.

This is an abject lie. I had to put to game down at one point because how little I enjoyed the hacking malarkey and got stuck at one point that required hacking. Then I learned I could turn the difficulty down and use the easy mode chips to make my life easier.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Or if you're like me and put it down to go take a dump during that section :shepface: That took a while to get past.

I had to answer the door. I got double pissed at that landscaper who wouldn't shut the gently caress up and take no for answer.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got my first level 4 spear during my route B. You don't really need to hack enemies at that point.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Ryas posted:

9S's moveset is stripped down garbage compared to 2B, who's already a little sparse for a action game character.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

LordAba posted:

I got my first level 4 spear during my route B. You don't really need to hack enemies at that point.

I upgraded a sword with +critical to lvl 4 at the start of B and was killing things with it faster than I could have with 2B.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RevolverDivider posted:

9S's moveset is stripped down garbage compared to 2B, who's already a little sparse for a action game character.

It's not stripped down though, he has a completely unique moveset. As for being weaker than 2B, yeah that's the point. You're supposed to use the ridiculously strong hacking ability to make up for it.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 9, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You havent even begun to see the stupid poo poo you can do with hax

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I liked route B a lot better when I started thinking of it as a Yoshikage Kira simulator myself :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

I liked route B a lot better when I started thinking of it as a Yoshikage Kira simulator myself :v:

"I want to show that woman the true 9S. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want her to take my slender neck into those hands and strangle me to death."

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"Finally, I can take the 'auto' out of 'automate'"

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I heard the rumors that 9S could lie in the same bed with 2B in this segment?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I really want Yoko Taro to do a Metal Gear Solid ripoff.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Let's not go there, shall we?

(E: the bed thing, not the metal gear thing. That last one I really would like to go there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I really want Yoko Taro to do a Metal Gear Solid ripoff.

Just let him work on Metal Gear itself. Maybe a sequel to Revengeance.

• Locked thread