Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Glazius posted:

Man, how would you even put that story together without a screenshot tool?

Transcribe it and put it in a text file (or find someone who's already done that and use their copy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
Considering how much looting Estelle and co have done in FC and SC, there must be lots of disappointed treasure hunters in Liberl.

Also poor Clint. At least Black is a better wrong name than Onion.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

NotASmartMan posted:

Considering how much looting Estelle and co have done in FC and SC, there must be lots of disappointed treasure hunters in Liberl.

Also poor Clint. At least Black is a better wrong name than Onion.

Come on, having it be a running joke in the game is one thing, but messing up Bryant's name on purpose here starts to inch towards being obnoxious!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The joke about people not being able to remember not-Agate's name even made it into one of the Falcom Gakuen episodes, IIRC.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

NotASmartMan posted:

Considering how much looting Estelle and co have done in FC and SC, there must be lots of disappointed treasure hunters in Liberl..

Even worse, they probably looted some of the chests twice.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
Truly tragic how we all have the ability to breathe fire and just won't live long enough to achieve it :(

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Finished Chapter 2 last night. Honestly I wasn't particularly feeling this game until Joshua showed up again. But between that and hints and an interesting secret for Kevin's backstory and his near-breakdown with rage at the end of chapter 2, I'm definitely liking this more. It's easy to forget that this didn't start when Kevin picked up the cube. That "Lord of Phantasma" was following him on the airship long before he was back in Grancel. That suggests this is more about Kevin than the cube.

- Gameplay wise, I'm probably never taking the gladiator belt off of Kevin because I can usually drop two 200 CP Grail Spheres per boss fight.
- I haven't been able to find "Till the Night of Glory" in the soundtrack files yet. It has to be there somewhere. EDIT: It's ED6586.

- I had no idea the chest messages change and would have missed it if not for the LP, although thankfully it's still night in Chapter 3 so I can just go around and get them again. ...as well as the chest in the castle dining hall which the chandelier blocked from view. ...and one in a guest room. ...and one at the very end of the garden terrace. I suck.
- I love the "haunted castle" remix of the Grancel Castle theme.
- That ghost woman on the Queen's terrace has gotta be Celeste Auslese.
- It's pretty annoying how thick everyone was in this chapter until the treasury. It was obvious to me that this Grancel was probably fake.

- That Salt Pale event is freaky as hell. People in the world seem very upbeat for normal people living in a world where a giant Apocalypse Object can just appear out of nowhere one day for no reason, kill half the population and lay half a small country to waste and no one has any idea why it happened and can't say that it won't happen again. And no "cable news hasn't been invented yet" isn't an excuse. Stories like that are the kind of thing that get spread around everywhere.

- Entered the Garden Terrace Joshua/Kloe Star door. I'm glad to see the Liberl News issue on the SC aftermath, as that was definitely something I was interested in reading. Still surprising that all that mass dropping into Valleria Lake including tons of water didn't cause more damage than just a 2 meter tsunami, regardless of how "deep" the lake is.
- Wow, I get to actually walk around and talk with people in a door? It's not just 15-40 minutes of pressing the "advance dialogue" button? I'm shocked!
- This party is a great scene, the kind of epilogue to SC which I missed for its absence.

- I'm just about to split for the Silver/Gold roads, but first I desperately need more Sepith to make quartz, because I don't have enough to fill two parties, so I guess I'll hunt down Aeries Pots and Slime Lumps while Josette offers support from the sidelines.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 7, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- That Salt Pale event is freaky as hell. People in the world seem very upbeat for normal people living in a world where a giant Apocalypse Object can just appear out of nowhere one day for no reason, kill half the population and lay half a small country to waste and no one has any idea why it happened and can't say that it won't happen again. And no "cable news hasn't been invented yet" isn't an excuse. Stories like that are the kind of thing that get spread around everywhere.

Yeah, that's one of the best doors in the game for sheer :stare: value.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The baby dragon is so adorable. :3:

It does make you wonder what Ragnard got up to in his childhood and teenage years.

Danann fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 8, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Really Pants posted:

also everyone reading this has diabetes now. I'm sorry

You should not be :colbert:

Apart from that:
Holy Mary that didn't just happen, did it?
She didn't spend a good afternoon playing with a baby dragon, did she?
It actually happened, didn't it?

This series.
Now watch this scene be supremely important in 3 or 4 games' time.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Baby Dragon will probably be a playable character by the time we get to Trails in the Calvard Republic

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, this Door is super surreal and it's not really obvious whether the events actually happened or not.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It would be just like Falcom to put this door in only as setup for something that happens 5 games down the line.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, this Door is super surreal and it's not really obvious whether the events actually happened or not.

Considering the baby dragon was well informed about recent events, including the Aureole?
They happened. Oh boy they happened.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

What makes it even more surreal is the location when "visions" starts playing. When you save a game, one of the things mentioned in the save file is the location. You'd EXPECT that spot to be "Krone Range". But nope, it's strangely called "Illusion World". Like what the heck?

Super Jay Mann posted:

It would be just like Falcom to put this door in only as setup for something that happens 5 games down the line.

Make that 4 games down the line. Apparantly, during the final hidden sidequest in Cold Steel II, while accompanying you-know-who to buy a present for his latest hopeless crush, you can talk to one of the merchants in the bazar in the auditorium and the item that gets offered is apparantly a happiness stone.

The happiness stone isn't particularly suitable accessory to wear casually since its speed penalty is horrible, but if you're in need of extra sepith it's a good item to equip on Anelace and go wild with 8 Leaf Blitz since it hits so often.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
C'mon, say it with me.

Daaaaaaaaaa~wwwwwwwwww.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

Make that 4 games down the line. Apparantly, during the final hidden sidequest in Cold Steel II, while accompanying you-know-who to buy a present for his latest hopeless crush, you can talk to one of the merchants in the bazar in the auditorium and the item that gets offered is apparantly a happiness stone.

:stare: I'll have to double check that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Even if it's just the hills behind a sleepy country town, the world is full of mysteries.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Okay finished up Chapter 3. That was short. The tip for the Skull Pendants helped. The Silver Door boss wasn't a huge problem with the suggested party. I mostly focused on taking out the healer boss for obvious reasons. He did NOT use Grail Sphere - at all. I think I might have focused him down to his second form too fast?

- Two sealing stones on two different paths made it pretty clear that it would be Olivier and Zin, as there aren't enough other pairs left.
- I liked that Ries got sick of Kevin's bullshit because obviously she knows him too well to be fooled.
- Man you really have to get up early in the morning to put one over Joshua. He's good at his stuff. I don't think anyone else knows Weissman is dead. I think that explains a lot why he seems more relaxed. He knows Weissman isn't out there somewhere lurking. And oh cool he's the second for this chapter. I won't say no to more Joshua.
- Kevin said that he didn't do anything to stop Estelle from getting kidnapped in SC Chapter 6, but honestly, everyone involved including Estelle should have been aware that Oroborus knew they were coming and they were expecting them. Whether Kurt escaped on his own or was set loose as bait, either way, they knew they would soon be coming. The base devoid of everyone except a few hypnotized bracers also were screaming "trap ahead". They knew what they were getting into.
- I think I'll use Zin and Olivier as my mains for the start of Chapter 4 and see how that goes.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 8, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, the odd numbered chapters are all quite short and the even numbered chapters are a lot longer.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
That conversation between Kevin and Joshua might be my favorite of the game. There's just so much going on, with Kevin doing his damnedest to convince Joshua he's a terrible person, and Joshua just not having it. It really justifies Estelle joining the party so late, too, because despite her absence she's still so present in the scene: Joshua phrases things in a very characteristic way, with bonds and debts and all that, but it's still pretty obvious Estelle rubbed off on him in a big way.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The reason I didn't like this door didn't hit me until I saw it in this format.

This is technically a fantasy RPG series. But when you get down to it, it's more like Star Ocean, where even the most fantastical things are explained as science, not magic. There's not too much mythology, there's mostly history that has plenty of evidence supporting it. There's no "they say back when..." there's only definitive facts that are pretty well known. And in that kind of setting, a story about a talking baby dragon that played with an orphan all day and saved her life after she fell doesn't really fit in well.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The reason I didn't like this door didn't hit me until I saw it in this format.

This is technically a fantasy RPG series. But when you get down to it, it's more like Star Ocean, where even the most fantastical things are explained as science, not magic. There's not too much mythology, there's mostly history that has plenty of evidence supporting it. There's no "they say back when..." there's only definitive facts that are pretty well known. And in that kind of setting, a story about a talking baby dragon that played with an orphan all day and saved her life after she fell doesn't really fit in well.

I am not sure that's really true past the Sky series. Like there is a lot of stuff in Cold Steel that's seems to lean more towards magic than science.

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
Anything to do with Aureole seems pretty magic related as well, it being considered a gift from the Goddess and all. Plus there's Ragnard.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah SC has a dragon play a big part of the story so eh.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

NotASmartMan posted:

Anything to do with Aureole seems pretty magic related as well, it being considered a gift from the Goddess and all. Plus there's Ragnard.

Even the Aureole has a scientific explanation (hell, we just got more info on it) and Ragnard is relatively minor. I just don't feel like the story fits in very well. Unless Luciola targeted that girl for some reason.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Baby Dragon is also pretty minor in the scale of things.

The fact that Ragnard exists, period, fulfills the 'even with all of our understanding there's just some things we plain don't know about like how the hell did that dragon fly so fast i mean what the gently caress 2x terminal velocity what kind of nos is that dude on?' part of a science-heavy fantasy setting.

It's why the Salt Pale story is so great too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Even the Aureole has a scientific explanation (hell, we just got more info on it) and Ragnard is relatively minor. I just don't feel like the story fits in very well. Unless Luciola targeted that girl for some reason.

I dunno, I feel like Ragnard, the Salt Pale and the other things fall under Clarke's famous third law, "any sufficient advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Like, orbments are definitely technology, but they're also so far ahead of everything else that they're basically magic.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The guardians of the second trial await.

I recommend Zin for the last two.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I don't recall a lot of special dialogue in this section, so Estelle for at least the first two because and Anelace deserve it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah I'd say at least throw Estelle into the first two, maybe Schera and Zin for the third one, and Agate and Zin for the last one.

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
Yeah, I'd go with Zane and Agate for the last two. Maybe Estelle and Schera for the first three?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I know those portraits.

havenwaters posted:

Yeah I'd say at least throw Estelle into the first two, maybe Schera and Zin for the third one, and Agate and Zin for the last one.

I say this should do.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Estelle and Zin for all four.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Add me to the "Bring Zin/Zane for the last two fights" bandwagon. Especially given that last shadowy portrait.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Schera and Zin because our senior bracers need to strut their stuff

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Tita and Renne for the first two, swap one out for Zin for the last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Schera and Zin because our senior bracers need to strut their stuff

agreed

• Locked thread