Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

One group I play with has 2 (out of 4) players who are very traditional about XP and don't want to play a game where you just level up when the DM says so because of reasons they'd be happy to explain to you at length. The DM loudly agreed with them, and has been giving out xp to everyone in differing amounts at the end of each session since the game started. Every single time we've accumulated enough xp to level up, it's been every character at the same time at the end of a plot arc after we fight the end boss and get the loot and move on to the next bit of story. When we levelled to 3, I asked the DM if there was any point actually writing down these xp numbers, and he said "gently caress no, we're milestone levelling, I'm just keeping (those two) happy, you should probably mention it to (other guy)".

We're level 12 and the two dudes who care deeply about detailed xp haven't noticed yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OutsideAngel posted:

It's bad.

Specifically, it's bad because you really only get a couple of new things and you usually want to be doing those things all the time (unless those things suck, like Short Draw or Bloody Wound or Trip, in which case you want to be doing them never). It doesn't really introduce any new decision points, just marginal buffs to some weapons and significant buffs to some others.
We had a discussion about trick shot a while back. According to one interpretation if you have advantage or use lucky then the crit effect can never trigger. No matter what the case it's only worth using if you only already have disadvantage and can only make one attack. Trick shots are only performed by unlucky amateurs, skilled marksmen just machinegun arrows at you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

One group I play with has 2 (out of 4) players who are very traditional about XP and don't want to play a game where you just level up when the DM says so because of reasons they'd be happy to explain to you at length. The DM loudly agreed with them, and has been giving out xp to everyone in differing amounts at the end of each session since the game started. Every single time we've accumulated enough xp to level up, it's been every character at the same time at the end of a plot arc after we fight the end boss and get the loot and move on to the next bit of story. When we levelled to 3, I asked the DM if there was any point actually writing down these xp numbers, and he said "gently caress no, we're milestone levelling, I'm just keeping (those two) happy, you should probably mention it to (other guy)".

We're level 12 and the two dudes who care deeply about detailed xp haven't noticed yet.
:allears: beautiful

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

OutsideAngel posted:

It's bad.

Specifically, it's bad because you really only get a couple of new things and you usually want to be doing those things all the time (unless those things suck, like Short Draw or Bloody Wound or Trip, in which case you want to be doing them never). It doesn't really introduce any new decision points, just marginal buffs to some weapons and significant buffs to some others.

I agree but it's so close to good though. If Short Draw conferred advantage to a grapple attack you could wind them with the sword pommel on attack 1, grapple at advantage on attack 2 and then follow up with Close Quarters Combat to stab with the same short sword. The only rule preventing that is the BDD wording itself specifying an attack roll, so I'll just add "attack / ability" roll there with some caveat about DM discretion. PH RAW allows advantage on ability checks so surely it's just another detail they overlooked when writing this homebrew.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

clusterfuck posted:

I agree but it's so close to good though. If Short Draw conferred advantage to a grapple attack you could wind them with the sword pommel on attack 1, grapple at advantage on attack 2 and then follow up with Close Quarters Combat to stab with the same short sword. The only rule preventing that is the BDD wording itself specifying an attack roll, so I'll just add "attack / ability" roll there with some caveat about DM discretion. PH RAW allows advantage on ability checks so surely it's just another detail they overlooked when writing this homebrew.
The concept is good but the implementation is incredibly half-assed. There's obvious place fillers, abilities with "makes sense" limitations that render them useless, things that look fine in isolation but show a basic misunderstanding of how the system actually plays, and a bunch that just flat don't work.

What I'm saying is it's 5e as gently caress.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 8, 2017

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Splicer posted:

What I'm saying is it's 5e as gently caress.

Appropriately enough, the class most buffed by BDD is the loving Cleric, since they don't lost out on any Extra Attack(s) when using the numerous abilities that are performed "as an action".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OutsideAngel posted:

Appropriately enough, the class most buffed by BDD is the loving Cleric, since they don't lost out on any Extra Attack(s) when using the numerous abilities that are performed "as an action".
It's also pretty baller if you're a UA beastmaster (the least weapony ranger), and decent for a rogue though not trick shot because disadvantage. But yeah it's hilarious that they made a whole book of weapon options that are explicitly least useful for Guy Who Fights With Weapons.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

AlphaDog posted:

I want to frame this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey guys! I just found out that D&D Beyond gives you a 15% discount if you buy all the books up-front!

Only a $279 bargain to buy electronic versions of the books you already have! And holy moly you get a whole 15% off the future ones, too (no, of course they aren't included, this is only the stuff now)! What a steal!

I mean, I dunno about you but I can't wait to pay $300 for a character builder!

https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/d-d-beyond-general/beta-testing-feedback/5743-faq-d-d-beyond-pricing-purchase#c8

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

AlphaDog posted:

This is perfect in every way.

dwarf74 posted:

Hey guys! I just found out that D&D Beyond gives you a 15% discount if you buy all the books up-front!

Only a $279 bargain to buy electronic versions of the books you already have! And holy moly you get a whole 15% off the future ones, too (no, of course they aren't included, this is only the stuff now)! What a steal!

https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/d-d-beyond-general/beta-testing-feedback/5743-faq-d-d-beyond-pricing-purchase#c8

I want to be there when they hear about Orc Pub.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

8one6 posted:

I get why milestone leveling is popular, but it always makes me laugh that the the same folks who support it are the same one who make fun of all the "ask your GM" stuff in 5e. To me the milestone leveling feels like the ultimate "ask your GM" situation because you can't look at your xp and see you're making progress.

It always fell to your DM, because it was always their job to figure out what encounters to put in front of you, how many encounters of what difficulty that should be, etc. and the math and book keeping was never kind to them in doing that job. This actually puts less stress on the DM than a lot of 5e rules do.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I know for a fact I saw someone ask this exact question in the last month but i'm too lazy to search so: STorm king's thunder on roll20? Pretty good? I've only done one-shots before and I stole maps from reddit or randomly generated them. If it's super already set up that would be incredible. If it's a pile of tokens and map gifs and I gotta scale them all that'd be less ideal.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I bought Curse of Strahd and one of the Yawning Portal modules, and they were both fully set up. There's basically the whole module text included, if you don't mind reading them as roll20 handout pages. And yeah, the tokens are all statted up with portraits and the maps are scaled and dynamically lit. If you don't want to do a lot of the work for setting up, it's very nice. At least those two were.

The only downside is that some of the portraits are uninspired or missing from the more generic NPCs (from Curse of Strahd specifically), which you could fix easily, and that the price is pretty high for a copy of the book you may already have. I didn't have Strahd so I bought it, and it was 50 bucks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

8one6 posted:

I get why milestone leveling is popular, but it always makes me laugh that the the same folks who support it are the same one who make fun of all the "ask your GM" stuff in 5e. To me the milestone leveling feels like the ultimate "ask your GM" situation because you can't look at your xp and see you're making progress.
"Ask your GM" is when someone asks the designers of the game how the game they made works and the designers hand the job off onto their customers, trying to disguise their lazyness and incompetence as "GM empowerment". You might be thinking of Mother May I. Mother May I is when the game poorly conveys important strategic information, forcing you to constantly poll the GM for your options. This isn't a Mother May I situation because in a milestone system you know when you're going to level (after the next cool thing) and even if you don't you wouldn't have been making decisions based on that info in the first place.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 8, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dwarf74 posted:

Don't buy stuff you already own then.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MonsterEnvy posted:

Unless, you know, you want to use any of it in the builder.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

D&D: Beyond what you should ever have to pay for a roleplaying game

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dwarf74 posted:

Unless, you know, you want to use any of it in the builder.

Just use the free stuff, or grab the PHB then. Most of the stuff in that 300 are adventures, so just don't get the stuff you already own that you won't use.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The mind-boggling part is WOTC already had a viable model for online content. They raked in subs with DDI during the 4e era. Just put all the content in one place and charge a few bucks a month, done.

But nooo. They finally stumbled on something digital that actually worked so of course they had to gently caress that up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
WotC is literally the worst company when it comes to understanding the internet. I would say they are even worse than Nintendo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be fair here, WotC is not making this thing. As they agree they are too inept to make a device.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Do you guys have some good resources for arena challenges / puzzles? I want my players to meet up at the beginning of their adventure in a sort of Olympics venue. I'll have a few NPCs in there, and the point is that they start off unaligned but will hopefully get to know each other and start to team up. Then some catastrophic thing happens at which time they'll either join as a party or let people get killed.

I don't know what to do for the challenges. Everything I see assumes the players are already working as a team. I'd like something that's designed as a free-for-all but can benefit players who work together.

Any ideas, or should I just start building simple games and let the players have fun with it?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair here, WotC is not making this thing. As they agree they are too inept to make a device.

However, they are actively agreeing that this is the way they want it to be. They don't get an out just because they're not coding the thing, this is something they got a proposal for and said, "yeah, this looks like a good idea, go ahead."

edit: loving amazing stuff later on.

quote:

Q12: I already purchased some/all of the sourcebooks in hardback and have proof of purchase - can I get them for free/discount on D&D Beyond?

No.

Not even an explanation of how their business model depends on digital sales to succeed and they can't independently verify poo poo, just a flat 'no'

quote:

Q14: In the future, will buying physical books unlock the content in D&D Beyond (voucher or code in the book)?

This is not something that is planned.

And a further 'gently caress you' to anyone that thinks it might improve in the future and anyone that might think that this isn't 100% about charging people twice if they wanna use convenient 'official' tools

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 9, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Oh my god will everyone stop complaining about the three hundred buck character builder, I'm certain WoTC had nothing to do with setting the price and when you think about it really it's not expensive at all if you don't buy it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Are you ever right about anything ever?

Like do you go to the store to get milk and just come back with hundreds of pineapples?

Are you just a machine learning algorithm trained on 5e apologia that someone bought a forums account?

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Do you guys have some good resources for arena challenges / puzzles? I want my players to meet up at the beginning of their adventure in a sort of Olympics venue. I'll have a few NPCs in there, and the point is that they start off unaligned but will hopefully get to know each other and start to team up. Then some catastrophic thing happens at which time they'll either join as a party or let people get killed.

I don't know what to do for the challenges. Everything I see assumes the players are already working as a team. I'd like something that's designed as a free-for-all but can benefit players who work together.

Any ideas, or should I just start building simple games and let the players have fun with it?

If you're looking for a reasonably simple way to run this mechanically in-system, you might find some inspiration from parts of the UA downtime rules. Tl;dr, describe some competition and have players make three different ability checks along the way. The more they succeed, the better the reward (and more complications avoided). Put together however many competitions you think you'll need, varying the skills tested in each one.

The article doesn't offer guidance on getting the players to work together, but here's my thought: Offer them the chance to work together and choose who makes what check, and you can even have them Help one another to confer advantage on any roll wherever that would make sense. But you can also stipulate that they'll need to split the reward if they work together like this. If you structure the rewards in such a way that half of the payout of succeeding on all three checks beats the full reward for one or two successes, they'll naturally want to increase their odds by working together. NPCs can demonstrate that this is possible and (if the players are novices) that working alone is a bad idea when you only have +best ability score +proficiency on probably two skills at best.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I mean you're right everyone knows that to design something on the internet you write your idea on a piece of parchment and place it into a bottle which you seal with a wax stopper and throw it into the ocean and then in 1d6 weeks you will get a ghostly messenger from a random tech company with the fully completed design which you must accept or you will offend the gods of the internet and never make money again

Oh wait no WotC would have been explicitly involved in the design of this program and is 100% to blame for it, not the random company that they told to write the code lmao are you loving kidding me with this stupid poo poo.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My two suggestions would be to watch and pillage this and other videos like it.

If that doesn't solve it for you take the question to the GM thread, that thread has awesome creative suggestions all day every day.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

clusterfuck posted:

My two suggestions would be to watch and pillage this and other videos like it.

If that doesn't solve it for you take the question to the GM thread, that thread has awesome creative suggestions all day every day.

Oh poo poo, a mix of these and mxc, with the end goal of winning crowd votes instead of completing the tasks is absolutely perfect. The players will try to ham it up and clown around, there's no real penalty for failing rolls if they can make it funny, and if they work together they can do crazy poo poo that puts them ahead of the NPCs.

Thank you, this is so much better than I was originally going for.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Ran my first 5e game for a bunch of new players last night using Lost Mine of Phandelver (reskinned). They managed to make enough noise to alert a roomful of goblins, then retreated back to the entrance to the cave and waited while the entire cave roused against them. They severely injured a lot of the goblins with the Dragonborn's lightning breath, then the druid entangled the remainder. The Dragonborn then made an intimidate check consisting of dropping trou and showing the goblins his enormous, uh, bad dragon. He rolled a natural 20 on this. Anyway with advantage and a mass of stuck goblins it was a slaughter that ended quickly. Klarg's wolf got one-shot by a sneak attack and Klarg got whittled down by various attacks.

Everyone had a good time, but were very silly. The party members were named Michael Sweet (Blue Dragonborn Fighter), Sphinctrela (Copper Dragonborn Sorcerer), Kaa (Lizardfolk Druid, originally named J'Nifer), Lil' Halfsies (Halfling Rogue), Augurbucket (Dwarf Rogue), and Snickerdoodle Dickman (Dwarf Cleric).

EDIT: All of these players were older than 30.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Please discourage players from revealing genitals as an aggressive, non consensual act.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mango sentinel posted:

Please discourage players from revealing genitals as an aggressive, non consensual act.

Yeah, that seems like a reasonable policy.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Do what feels right

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

UP AND ADAM posted:

Do what feels right

Hopefully what feels right is not allowing players to show their genitalia as an aggressive, non-consensual act but y'know, you do you.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dragonborn are big lizards, what is there even to show? :confused:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Serf posted:

The roll fails and all the goblins come rushing closer to inspect the dragonborn's cloaca.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Serf posted:

The women have tits, so who knows?

I don't imagine breastfeeding a baby with shark teeth would be fun.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

mango sentinel posted:

One of our female players plays a male dragonborn and decided to shake her dangly bits as part of an intimidate check. The table spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what she could even show, then decided nobody actually saw and it'll forever be a mystery.

Except for the kobold. That poor, poor kobold.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

There's the whole golden rule of never shutting down ideas and improvisations from the party as the DM and doing your best to never straight up say "no" but in the middle of combat if someone suggests pulling out their cock I would, in fact, say "no."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't think the genders of the player or character really affect the appropriateness, which is "not" unless the whole table (incl DM) has explicitly opted into displays of sexual aggression.