Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

My bf and I were thinking it was going to be another "The" Nine Inch Nails song. We screamed in laughter when it turned out to be James.

Always cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

I went back and looked at the final scene. I didn't see any reflection in the window, much less one out of sync or Ed reacting to it. He's just looking out the window and the cars go by. I think people are looking for things that aren't there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cjg posted:

I went back and looked at the final scene. I didn't see any reflection in the window, much less one out of sync or Ed reacting to it. He's just looking out the window and the cars go by. I think people are looking for things that aren't there.

You can physically see ed with the cup down but still up in the reflection :confused:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

cjg posted:

I honestly had to zoom in to see it but it's there. If it's important, it's way too subtle.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I thought the song was dumb as hell when I saw it in the original series, but seeing it again did get my nostalgia.

Also, few things are sadder than an old man eating alone at night and burning a piece of paper for a minor distraction.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

CJacobs posted:

You can physically see ed with the cup down but still up in the reflection :confused:

OK. I see it now. Looks like a mistake to me.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

cjg posted:

OK. I see it now. Looks like a mistake to me.

I want to physically hurt you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

radlum posted:

I thought the song was dumb as hell when I saw it in the original series, but seeing it again did get my nostalgia.

Also, few things are sadder than an old man eating alone at night and burning a piece of paper for a minor distraction.

Was the paper meaningful in any way?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

This guy would be a great Judge Holden in a Blood Meridian movie when he's a little older.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Grace Zabriskie continues to be an absolute star, good lord

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

El Jeffe posted:

This guy would be a great Judge Holden in a Blood Meridian movie when he's a little older.

My wife thinks this guy looks like Harvey from the Melissa Joan Hart Sabrina the Teenage Witch. She's not completely wrong.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mover posted:

Grace Zabriskie continues to be an absolute star, good lord

She plays a wonderful crazy lady/drunk.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
loving lol if you think the reflection is a mistake, ed even notices it and does a confused glance at the cup. They cut back to his reaction show you this. poo poo, they've been going out of their way to show and tell you time is hosed up.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i think i like dougie more than original season 1 coop

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
twin peaks is the horniest town in america.

first horny bobby lookin for shelly, frustrat ed and norma (it's the haircut ed my dude, you gotta change that) and now dr amp and nadine: the fucks are at it again

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i know that feel ed

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I dunno how I feel about this episode. This episode feels the most "Twin Peaks" but I'm really disappointed that the show hit its stride at very end of Act 2. I will say, Kyle Maclachlan hit it out of the park with Danzig this episode.

I feel so disconnected from Act 1. And the way Audrey and Ed came up so late makes me feel pretty disappointed. It's been way too long since we saw Balthazar Getty too. I think the show could have been condensed into 12 episodes and some scenes could be moved around for better continuity. Like it's been how many episodes since the cops got Coop's finger prints? Now we get the payoff? I had to remind myself why we needed to come back to them. I noticed these feelings robbed some of my enjoyment from this episode.

The last 5 episodes will probably be great, but this whole 18 hour movie thing is kinda bupkis to me right now.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im beginning to feel like season 4 is going to happen

we're getting ALOT of characters like ffuck you tammy to replace albert

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zmej posted:

I will say, Kyle Maclachlan hit it out of the park with Danzig this episode.
I associate MacLachlan so strongly with Cooper that there has been more than one occasion where I watched Mr. C go about his business and thought "goddamn, this guy's badass, who's playing him again" for a split second before feeling very silly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We saw Balthazar Getty two episodes ago

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i went holy poo poo when renzo got punched to loving death

also when james started singing

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I associate MacLachlan so strongly with Cooper that there has been more than one occasion where I watched Mr. C go about his business and thought "goddamn, this guy's badass, who's playing him again" for a split second before feeling very silly.

For him to pull all of this off so well and not come off as try hard or dumb is amazing.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i laughed at the james scene cuz of how dumb it was
in a good way

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm still torn on Dougie. Sometimes it's amazing stuff like the bizarre conga line at the beginning, but then you get another aggravating pie/coffee tease and all you want is Cooper.

He's been funny, but for me it's overstayed it's welcome now. Like 13 episodes of him and no Coop is enough already. There's only 5 left. If Coop doesn't come back it will be a giant dent against this season

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
in 26 years theres going to be season 4 and everyone will be saying "where's doug :(

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

He's been funny, but for me it's overstayed it's welcome now. Like 13 episodes of him and no Coop is enough already. There's only 5 left. If Coop doesn't come back it will be a giant dent against this season

I guess, to me, this is the fundamental problem I have with some viewers, especially when it comes to this kind of poo poo.

Once again, replace the internet with the watercooler, and replace "Coop coming back" with "finding out Laura Palmer's killer" and the similarities are downright STRIKING.

And remember that David Lynch did not EVER want Laura Palmer to come back. Which does make me think we may not ever see Dougie "magically transform" into "Special Agent Dale Cooper". And I am TOTALLY FINE WITH THAT! I have been enjoying the HELL out of this season, and I don't need Lynch to meet some plot condition for the series to be fun. It's something I've never understood the principle of - it's like the same people feel like a bad finale can retroactively "spoil" episodes that had once been good. Absolute rubbish.

People are saying that because of the shot of what appears to be Special Agent Cooper driving a car at night in the trailer, he must be coming back. But couldn't that perhaps be Evil Coop after a haircut wearing color contacts and foundation to make his skin lighter? I mean, it's possible.

Also people should remember we still probably have some massive Journey into the Lodges and Beyond waiting for us before this is over; after all, we've yet to see The Jumping Man.

I also want to make a related recommendation to all viewers, especially after this episode: If you haven't yet, go back and give Episode 8 a nice, proper re-watch.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 8, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i hope we never see the 'real' agent cooper ever again

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rocco posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but nothing about James singing or Nadine being a loving idiot is entertaining to me in any way whatsoever

I don't know where the Nadine and Amp stuff is going. I'll bear with it.

The James scene made my friends and I crack up and scream at the TV so to each their own.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

El Jeffe posted:

Holy poo poo! Perfect

Zmej posted:

It's been way too long since we saw Balthazar Getty too.

Ogad Red is Pete from Lost Highway. I didn't even recognize him!

Odoyle fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 8, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was one of the best episodes this season, imo. And its like the opposite of last week's episode: good pacing, mostly fast scenes, lots going on. Booper scene was all kinds of awesome

Still, I was expecting Cooper, and no Cooper yet, which is disappointing for sure. At the same time, Dougie scenes were wonderful, as they always are

edit: I loved the Audrey scene in this one

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Can someone link to an interview or something with Lynch that goes into the "He was never planning on revealing the killer, ever" thing?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think Audrey's husband was in Sin City. Also starting to warm up to the "she's mentally broken" theory. Which makes her and Pete's baby being Richard make a lot more sense. Poor kid never had either parent.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Can someone link to an interview or something with Lynch that goes into the "He was never planning on revealing the killer, ever" thing?

http://www.twin-peaks.fr/articles/serie/ewspecial.html

quote:

LYNCH: When we wrote TWIN PEAKS, we never intended the murder of Laura Palmer to be solved.... Maybe in the last episode.

FROST: I know David was always enamored of that notion, but I felt we had an obligation to the audience to give them some resolution. That was a bit of a tension between him and me.... It took us about 17 episodes to finally reveal it, and by then people were getting a little antsy.

LYNCH: I was in an airport one time, going through the baggage claim area, and a woman was talking to her friends. And I just heard as I went by, "I just hope they solve that murder soon. I'm getting sick of waiting." And it was TWIN PEAKS. I think a lot of people put pressure on ABC to get it solved because they felt they were being strung along.... All I know is, I just felt it–that once that was solved, the murder of Laura Palmer, it was over. It was over.

FROST: We didn't have an event of similar impact to start the second cycle, and that was to the detriment of the show.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

zelah posted:

I got the blue box pain and sorrow

I'd buy it

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Thanks! It's interesting that it was a point of tension between Lynch and Frost. I really think it's their collaboration that makes the show work so well, and that Frost's role in the new season is probably being underplayed by fans.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Good to see they just avoided that whole "reveal" situation this season by making nothing of interest happening for anyone.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm guessing it's primarily due to Frost's influence that this season has a comprehensible narrative at all.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I understand the frustration with the Dougie stuff, despite how much I enjoy it. I can 't imagine how much more frustrating it would be if we only had 9 episodes or whatever. "We're on episode 7 and still no Cooper???!"

Also, I definitely agree with people that would have liked to see a little more of the minor characters during all this time. It's like they have the same amount of screen time as they would in the 9-episode version, with another 9 episodes of "breathing room" throughout. We did see Red two episodes ago, but I think we've only had one Red scene with actual dialogue.

Ben Horne is an example of a minor character with not much screen time that they did right. We have a very clear view on his character, how he's progressed since the original series, and where his head is at with his family affairs. And also Richard Beymer is a great actor and knocked it out of the park every time.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 8, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
bens been the best minor character so far easily. hes hitting it outta the park and i care about his redemption and (what seems to be) some threat to his redemption

also where the gently caress is jerry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Baloogan posted:

i hope we never see the 'real' agent cooper ever again