Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

at least you can't electrocute yourself with a 9v powerfulcell

Oh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Mine's just going to go into my "crazy person trunk survival kit" because what if I spin off the road into a snowbank with only 30 cans of chili for winter

use a screwdriver and a rock...

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Cumslut1895 posted:

use a screwdriver and a rock...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Is your Check Engine light on your car not going away? If it was made after 1996, save the diagnostic fee at your mechanic's and get a bluetooth adapter for your ODB2 port so you can check it with your phone.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm a little wary of connecting cheap chinese crap to the diagnostic port of my car after I learned that you can easily deploy all the airbags on various cars by sending the right OBD2 commands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlYw9WBr6hs&t=270s

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I bought a cheap Bluetooth OBD2 reader off deal extreme years ago, and it's pretty great. Had to buy an app to use it with my phone, but it made finding out that the o2 sensor had died in my car easy, and replacing it then only cost me parts and tools instead of a trip to the shop. If you're trying to some of your own car maintenance, it's worth it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm a little wary of connecting cheap chinese crap to the diagnostic port of my car after I learned that you can easily deploy all the airbags on various cars by sending the right OBD2 commands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlYw9WBr6hs&t=270s

The Bluetooth OBD readers can't send data into the system. I have one of those ten dollar ones and it works fine for checking codes and getting basic data about the engine and stuff.

I mean, sure, it's always possible that you might get a fake one that you plug in and it immediately drives your car onto a container ship headed for China, but that seems awfully unlikely.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mocking Bird, what linen bags do you recommend? I just moved in with my partner and we could seriously use some closet organization!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I really wish the page for the Simpsons stickers I ordered hadn't vanished because they're incredible.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

WrenP-Complete posted:

Mocking Bird, what linen bags do you recommend? I just moved in with my partner and we could seriously use some closet organization!

I like these ones the best

http://s.aliexpress.com/aiAvAruq

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thank you!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Most car part stores like Autozone or whatever, will use their OBD Readers on your car for free, fyi.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not in certain states

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

My OBD port powers my dashcam. Now I'm worried it will take a picture and somehow make my airbags go off.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

My OBD port powers my dashcam. Now I'm worried it will take a picture and somehow make my airbags go off.

Car software is closed and very proprietary, the guys in that clip were BMW employees using specialized equipment explicitly designed to help destroy cars. I think you'll be fine.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Pick posted:

I am actually at the stage where a lot of what I get on AliExpress are re-orders of products I found really useful. Anyone else re-ordered anything yet?

I've reordered quilling strips several times from different vendors; ordered $30 worth on Friday for xmas crafting, paid for faster shipping though.

I make little coils of different colors and glue them on things like picture frames and mdf shapes and currently paper mache ball ornaments. This star is about 9 inches and is just wall decor.

I find the 5mm size fits my slotted tool perfectly and makes fast work. The 7mm and 10mm are a little more time consuming and the 3mm size is like an out of body experience as you watch yourself going loving insane coiling tiny colored strips of paper around and around and around.

I'm hoping that these things will make me some money at a xmas church craft fair in Novembr. And I wouldn't be doing any of this without AliXpress because our local craft stores don't carry strips, so thanks!!

That70sHeidi fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 6, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That is extremely autistic, no offense

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That70sHeidi posted:

I've reordered quilling strips several times from different vendors; ordered $30 worth on Friday for xmas crafting, paid for faster shipping though.

I make little coils of different colors and glue them on things like picture frames and mdf shapes and currently paper mache ball ornaments. This star is about 9 inches and is just wall decor.

I find the 5mm size fits my slotted tool perfectly and makes fast work. The 7mm and 10mm are a little more time consuming and the 3mm size is like an out of body experience as you watch yourself going loving insane coiling tiny colored strips of paper around and around and around.

I'm hoping that these things will make me some money at a xmas church craft fair in Novembr. And I wouldn't be doing any of this without AliXpress because our local craft stores don't carry strips, so thanks!!

That looks pretty neat. Are you sealing them at all though, since they're paper?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I ordered some cheap "mushroom seeds" and was expecting either spawn plugs or the sawdust mixture that comes in commercial mushroom-making kits but instead I got what looks like actual seeds. I know a lot of spawn is made with grains but I don't see any kind of visible inoculation and the store page is just some stock photos with no instructions. I have some old grain I've been meaning to use up anyways so I'll try making a fresh batch of spawn with it and see if anything comes of it, I guess.

Blue Train posted:

*artistic

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That quilling is super cool!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Guy Mann posted:

I ordered some cheap "mushroom seeds" and was expecting either spawn plugs or the sawdust mixture that comes in commercial mushroom-making kits but instead I got what looks like actual seeds. I know a lot of spawn is made with grains but I don't see any kind of visible inoculation and the store page is just some stock photos with no instructions. I have some old grain I've been meaning to use up anyways so I'll try making a fresh batch of spawn with it and see if anything comes of it, I guess.

gz on your lentils

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Blue Train posted:

You have no idea what autism is and should stop using that word.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

You post like you have downs syndrome

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Who wants a sad frog pin

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Oh boy. At random I showed my 10 year old all the knock-off not-Lego sets on Ali. Now he wants like, everything knowing how much cheaper they are than the real thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Choco1980 posted:

Oh boy. At random I showed my 10 year old all the knock-off not-Lego sets on Ali. Now he wants like, everything knowing how much cheaper they are than the real thing.

Now is a really good time to teach him some values and explain the legitimate downsides of counterfeit goods.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

Now is a really good time to teach him some values and explain the legitimate downsides of counterfeit goods.

smh

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know how you have quotes from tyra bank's young adult fiction on hand, and i don't know why i know them so well, but good work

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
So these rugs are going for under $20 - https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=539784660994&spm=1101.1101.N.N.f3c0fd

I know shipping these is going to take up most of the cost but I'm really tempted to buy one.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

EDIT:

moller fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 8, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

keevo posted:

So these rugs are going for under $20 - https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=539784660994&spm=1101.1101.N.N.f3c0fd

I know shipping these is going to take up most of the cost but I'm really tempted to buy one.

So what's the deal with TaoBao? Is there an English site I can use or what.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

The President is an alien

i cant find a mulder tho wtf

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here you go...
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...2823762552.html

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Guy Mann posted:

So what's the deal with TaoBao? Is there an English site I can use or what.

It's the sister site of Aliexpress except way cheaper and aimed towards Chinese consumers. Because of that, there's no English version of the site but Chrome will auto-translate the site and you get a good idea of what's being sold.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

ordered

thnx

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Anyone ever ordered any radio control toys? The boat looks pretty sweet but my kid is still to young for that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

keevo posted:

I would be very surprised if you couldn't get them for the same price on Amazon. (I've bought a few cheap carpets off Amazon, although they were Indian not Chinese.)

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

This guy's being put on the list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
I was checking how much cheaper line lasers are on ali and decided to look at the customer feedback. Somebody posted a picture of a fish of somekind and a brazilian gentlemen posted a shirtless picture of himself. Useful information I'm sure.
E: found it! https://m.aliexpress.com/getSiteProductEvaluationPwa.htm?productId=32802018606

RocketSurgeon fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 8, 2017