Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Biggest joke of the MRP is Ziebell not even being assessed for his tackle on Treloar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nutsngum posted:

Geelong could honestly go winless for the rest of the season.
That's my fear, we depend on Dangerfield and Selwood way too much. Last week showed how badly the team misses those two players.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Last week we had an army of kids in against a side that has in recent history played very, very well against us, badly exploiting our lack of good quality small forwards with a strong press. I don't think Danger would have won it for us.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Luke Ryan got the rising star nomination this week, he's been fantastic down back especially the last couple of weeks.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

realbez posted:

Grundy got more than Dangerfield because Brown was unlucky enough to get knocked out. It is a bad system and he got unlucky.

Hawkins is a serial offender, and afl have been trying to get through his thick skull that they don't consider what he did minor for years.

I'm not sure why people are surprised that blokes get suspended for knocking players out. He didn't get unlucky so much as he stopped a player from being able to protect himself from being knocked out.

Hawkins was real dumb but missing two matches for being a dill is excessive. He hasn't hurt a bloke all year.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Nutsngum posted:

Geelong could honestly go winless for the rest of the season. At 50 points they could still potentially finish in 8th or even miss if they get walloped a couple of times. CHAOS BALL!!!
They're on 13 wins, sure their player availability isn't great but while Richmond is 50/50 (or worse) they should get a win out of either Collingwood or GWS at Kardinia.

To put it this way, unless something really weird happens, Hawthorn are done (most they can get is 11.5 wins) but they're got more chances to make the finals than Geelong missing out.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

The Deadly Hume posted:

They're on 13 wins, sure their player availability isn't great but while Richmond is 50/50 (or worse) they should get a win out of either Collingwood or GWS at Kardinia.

To put it this way, unless something really weird happens, Hawthorn are done (most they can get is 11.5 wins) but they're got more chances to make the finals than Geelong missing out.
I can easily see Geelong losing all three. The Richmond game is more like a 70-30 or even 80-20 and Collingwood always do us. GWS is a chance though due to the Kardinia factor.

TBH it doesn't really matter as we're just making up numbers.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Shmoses posted:

I'm not sure why people are surprised that blokes get suspended for knocking players out. He didn't get unlucky so much as he stopped a player from being able to protect himself from being knocked out.

I don't get it either. Listening to the radio last night so many people say "it's not touch football mate" but show me one sport where a dude getting knocked the gently caress out doesn't stop play. If boxing is willing to stop for it, AFL should too. And if AFL players are giving each other boxing-esque loving injuries they should get weeks.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Some people are reporting that Rodney Eade has been sacked.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

tnimark posted:

Some people are reporting that Rodney Eade has been sacked.

Yep

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-08/suns-and-eade-part-ways-effective-immediately-

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shmoses posted:

Hawkins was real dumb but missing two matches for being a dill is excessive. He hasn't hurt a bloke all year.

I've changed my mind on this. I don't think what grundy did was any worse than what Dangerfield did, so I think in a just world they both get the same punishment. Unfortunately that would mean the argument every time someone got rubbed out would just be "but he barely hurt him!" instead of what it is now so it is better off being that you get in more trouble if a concussion happens.

I like how in one breath you make a good point about knocking players out, and in the next defend Tom's fist again. Just a dill, didn't mean to hurt anyone the silly duffer, why is the afl so mean to him?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I don't get it either. Listening to the radio last night so many people say "it's not touch football mate" but show me one sport where a dude getting knocked the gently caress out doesn't stop play. If boxing is willing to stop for it, AFL should too. And if AFL players are giving each other boxing-esque loving injuries they should get weeks.

It was almost comical on the radio this morning, they were honestly asking if the physical state of the player tackled/punched/etc had an influence on the outcome of the MRP judgement. One of the smarter ones pointed out it totally does and its one of the specific criteria its judged on: Impact. And I agree with the MRP, the physical consequences of one players actions on another should absolutely impact the level of suspension.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Spedman posted:

It was almost comical on the radio this morning, they were honestly asking if the physical state of the player tackled/punched/etc had an influence on the outcome of the MRP judgement. One of the smarter ones pointed out it totally does and its one of the specific criteria its judged on: Impact. And I agree with the MRP, the physical consequences of one players actions on another should absolutely impact the level of suspension.

Exactly!

Hume alert: STATS https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/aug/08/a-compelling-2017-afl-season-but-exactly-how-close-has-it-been-so-far

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
While I'm on board now, there are circumstances where it looks ridiculous. Just recently, Buddy came careening in and clothes lined Hodge late after he kicked the vall. Hodge is just one of those players with a stupidly hard head like Selwood, but he might have knocked quite a few other people out doing something dangerous like that. But it was Hodge, so

MRP posted:

Contact between the Sydney Swans’ Lance Franklin and Hawthorn’s Luke Hodge from the first quarter of Friday’s match was assessed. The panel said that as Hodge disposed of the ball, Franklin made contact high with the inside of his arm. A free kick was paid downfield at the time to Hawthorn. It was the view of the panel that Franklin’s action was not a striking motion. No further action was was required.

It looks bad.

Like I said, it is probably the lesser of two evils to be punishing players harder if someone gets injured, but it looks really stupid when players get off with nothing because nothing came of their dangerous actions.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

realbez posted:

Like I said, it is probably the lesser of two evils to be punishing players harder if someone gets injured, but it looks really stupid when players get off with nothing because nothing came of their dangerous actions.

The more I look into how the MRP go about assessing an indecent, the more I get why the MRP exists to deal with low to moderate incidents. By having a formula thats has some wiggle room for interpretation, players and fans will know what is acceptable and what isn't. And if as a player you're either dumb enough to not understand this or don't have impulse control you'll get fined/suspended. It's not a perfect system by any stretch, but I think its much better option than just putting everything to the tribunal, which was just a black box.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

realbez posted:

Yeah, the dangerous action that luckily doesn't result in an injury seems to be sliding through. I'm not saying Grundy didn't deserve to be suspended, but if you look at his tackle compared to Ziebell's on Treloar, it's crazy to me that one got two weeks and the other didn't even get looked at.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Dennis Armfield has announced his retirement today.

It was expected, he's letting the younger players have a go in his role, very unselfish of him, which is typical.

One of the best footballers off the oval too, community minded and won the jim stynes trophy/award the other year.

He will be missed as a player but thankfully he has an eye and mind for coaching.

https://youtu.be/ji8Js24bayc

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Next level staging - trying to win a free kick for a pushout from the goal umpire

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

racing identity posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/nathan-brown-sledges-a-player-on-every-single-team

Stick to shilling for bookmakers Browny

I feel a bit thick but I genuinely don't even get some of them. What am I missing in these zingers?

Brisbane: Allen Christensen - "I'd wander over to Allen Christensen and question why he was driven out of Geelong"
GWS: Toby Greene - "I hear they do a great parma at Zagame's"
Hawthorn: Ty Vickery - "I'd question whether Jake King was trying to extort money out of Hawthorn to get it back"

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

cmndstab posted:

Brisbane: Allen Christensen - "I'd wander over to Allen Christensen and question why he was driven out of Geelong"
The rumour is Christensen was sleeping with someone's wife

quote:

GWS: Toby Greene - "I hear they do a great parma at Zagame's"
Greene faced court for belting a bouncer at Caulfield Zagame's

quote:

Hawthorn: Ty Vickery - "I'd question whether Jake King was trying to extort money out of Hawthorn to get it back"
Ty enlisted Jake King's help to try and get some money back from a business partner who'd been rorting him

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You Am I posted:

Yeah, but Adelaide does as well in finals series as the South African Cricket team in the World Cup finals

Very late response but I think you'll find that the Adelaide Crows won the most recent top level Aussie rules grand final.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shmoses posted:

Got someone who wasn't his wife pregnant, but not the partner of a team mate, was the rumour flying around at the time. Wife said dump the skank and we're moving to another city or it's done, supposedly.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Shmoses posted:

Greene faced court for belting a bouncer at Caulfield Zagame's

Ty enlisted Jake King's help to try and get some money back from a business partner who'd been rorting him

No wonder I've never been any good at sledging - I don't keep up with gossip enough!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Those sledges are more like something from Heathers than anything.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

realbez posted:

It looks bad.

The thing I don't like is that I don't understand what Grundy was supposed to do. It wasn't a sling tackle, Grundy just used his body weight to drag him downwards not sideways, and it was Browns lateral momentum that gave him sideways movement. Sure, Grundy pinned the arms, but that's what you're SUPPOSED to do in a tackle, so the the player can't legally dispose of the ball. Pin the arms, drag the body downwards was a textbook tackle three years ago, and now you have players rubbed out for two weeks for it.

I'd really like a statement from the AFL stating what Grundy did wrong, aside from just "dangerous tackle". Are players expected to pin only one arm now, and two is dangerous? Or are they not expected to drag downwards but just hold the horizontal movement? What makes a good tackle?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Brownlow winner* Jobe Watson has announced his retirement.

Even with all the drug hooha, indeed maybe even because of it, Jobe always seemed like a good person, just caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It was good to see him come back and get another year actually playing football under his belt.

So a winner and a "winner" of the 2012 Brownlow retire in the same year.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
He should have stayed in New York barista-ing

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Forum Joe posted:

The thing I don't like is that I don't understand what Grundy was supposed to do. It wasn't a sling tackle, Grundy just used his body weight to drag him downwards not sideways, and it was Browns lateral momentum that gave him sideways movement. Sure, Grundy pinned the arms, but that's what you're SUPPOSED to do in a tackle, so the the player can't legally dispose of the ball. Pin the arms, drag the body downwards was a textbook tackle three years ago, and now you have players rubbed out for two weeks for it.

I'd really like a statement from the AFL stating what Grundy did wrong, aside from just "dangerous tackle". Are players expected to pin only one arm now, and two is dangerous? Or are they not expected to drag downwards but just hold the horizontal movement? What makes a good tackle?

I don't really see what the issue is.

Pin the arms but don't tackle in a way that causes their head to hit the ground. It's not that different than the in-the-back rule and how that forced players to change the way they tackle (except in this case the penalty is more server due to the risk of injury being greater). Or how they put the onus on the player bumping to protect the opposition's head.

Given the number of tackles that happen without incident each year then I don't see why people think that this will somehow alter cause some seismic shift in the way the game is played.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ed Curnow still can't talk properly after his knock to the throat in the Richmond game which split his voicebox open. His season is over but it sounds serious given almost two months of recovery hasn't helped yet.

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/895177835211444224

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 9, 2017

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I'm glad Jobe came back and gave it a crack, played some footy for some wins without the drugs saga looming over his head as captain. One of my favourite ever players, but it is time.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Periphery posted:

I don't really see what the issue is.

Pin the arms but don't tackle in a way that causes their head to hit the ground. It's not that different than the in-the-back rule and how that forced players to change the way they tackle (except in this case the penalty is more server due to the risk of injury being greater). Or how they put the onus on the player bumping to protect the opposition's head.

Given the number of tackles that happen without incident each year then I don't see why people think that this will somehow alter cause some seismic shift in the way the game is played.

But I don't understand how you can do that. If you grab the arms and pull downwards, you don't really have much control over what happens to the head.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Forum Joe posted:

But I don't understand how you can do that. If you grab the arms and pull downwards, you don't really have much control over what happens to the head.

In a spinning, or moving tackle where going to ground is likely, the perfect tackle only takes one arm - the one without the ball. The arm with the ball remains free not only to allow the player to protect himself, but to better illustrate prior opportunity as the clearly free arm fails to make the ball connect with boot or fist. The players already know this, and if they don't they have lovely tackling coaches.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

NTRabbit posted:

In a spinning, or moving tackle where going to ground is likely, the perfect tackle only takes one arm - the one without the ball. The arm with the ball remains free not only to allow the player to protect himself, but to better illustrate prior opportunity as the clearly free arm fails to make the ball connect with boot or fist. The players already know this, and if they don't they have lovely tackling coaches.

What if the player is holding the ball with both hands?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Largepotato posted:

What if the player is holding the ball with both hands?

The player who can keep both hands on the ball and legally dispose of it despite the tackle deserves the disposal stat.

If the tackler feels forced to take both arms to prevent the disposal, then the simple answer is don't try and take them to ground, keep it standing and wait for the whistle.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 9, 2017

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Forum Joe posted:

How don't they? I don't see how it's much/any different to turning a player so you don't catch them in-the-back. The tackler has a decent amount of control over how they bring the player with the ball to ground.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

https://twitter.com/marngrook/status/895052960014651392

:dance:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

How did they decide who was eligible for rising star for AFLW? Was there an age cutoff?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Next year will mark the second year since 1967 without a Watson or fletcher on the Essendon playing list (and that's only because of Tim's temporary retirement in 1992

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Next year will mark the second year since 1967 without a Watson or fletcher on the Essendon playing list (and that's only because of Tim's temporary retirement in 1992
You could probably cover the gap with Danihers anyway, I'd have to check...

OK, the Danihers only started in the late 70s but there were still two of them playing in '92, and Joe will probably keep that run going for a while.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Log on of the week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKmuM0WE2Y

• Locked thread