Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Man who sexually assaulted women is drawn to other humans who think women are below men...shocking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Wikileaks: An Equal Masculinity Employer.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

AceOfFlames posted:

They better get in line:

:cripes:

"why don't they support a diversity of opinions" is the new "why don't you tolerate my intolerance?" :qq:

Also honestly gently caress Julian Assange, he's a worthless piece of poo poo that's been coasting on Chelsea Manning's work for more than a decade. I regret ever thinking poorly of her when I was younger, but my gut reaction that Assange is a rat was totally, totally right.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 8, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Most people like that assume everyone knows that the emperor has no clothes, but think that everyone else doesn't and are afraid to speak up for fear of being shamed. It just takes one brave man to stand up, point at the naked emperor, and say "actually Hitler was right, and scientific racism is the only real science and :biotruths:" and everyone will go "oh my God I thought I was the only one, I don't have to be politically correct anymore" and women will be relieved to quit their jobs and go back to the kitchen where they always wanted to be, and black people will say "I'm so happy I don't have to pretend to be your intellectual equal anymore, and I can just shine shoes and whistle without a care in the world" etc etc, and all the liberal atheist professors who had pulled the wool over everyone's eyes would stammer out "diversity is good, banning diversity of opinions on segregation is anti-diversity, oh no that's bad, segregation is the true diversity, segregation is good" and disappear in a puff of logic

So basically he thought that would happen.

This kind of happened with white people with Trump's pussy grab tape, so I could see him feeling a little bold.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I want to take the GIF out of this and make it my main pic on Facebook but it is too much :effort:

Made me laugh anyway:

https://twitter.com/RealDonalDrumpf/status/894806613042884608

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

CyberPingu posted:

Man who sexually assaulted women is drawn to other humans who think women are below men...shocking

I wonder if this is the straw that causes Ecuador to put him on his rear end.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So, as many of you are no doubt aware, the Trump Administration has been catastrophic for the rights of Americans with disabilities, especially those with mental disabilities, as it doesn't do its best to defend them in court and as Betsy DeVos shreds support for education support for disabled Americans, not to mention attempts to take away their healthcare via Medicaid defunding.

Another issue is that Americans with mental disabilities can currently be sent to special factories where they can be paid well below minimum wage by companies like Goodwill. The Obama Administration was making progress on ending this practice - notably, the State of Vermont has gotten rid of it entirely already - but the Trump Administration is backsliding on the issue.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/08/many-people-with-disabilities-are-being-paid-way-below-the-minimum-wage-and-its-perfectly-legal/

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

CyberPingu posted:

I really hope he takes Assange up on this, only for Assange to discover that he has no skills Wikileaks needs.

I mean, hiring whoever's in the headlines doesn't sound like a good business practice, especially for a small company.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean it's the quintessential expression of "equality feels like oppression to the privileged," I dipped into the Reddit thread and about three comments in they'd started on the "affirmative action is racist against white people, the process should be colorblind" talking points. It shouldn't surprise anyone that the libertarian techbro class really wants everyone to operate as if people were already equal and structural inequality didn't exist/has already been solved.

Also couple that with the fact that we're at the tail end of the "Computers is magic and here is all the money for knowing even a little bit about how to manipulate them" bubble. When my father got his first "real" career job he was promoted hand over fist because he could work with computers and write a basic HTML webpage.

Now that poo poo is basically janitorial level work. So you got this guy who went from "big fish in a little pond" to being "specimen number whatever-thousand in a large aquarium with whales and sharks" feeling unsure and wanting to lash out, then you heap on the fact that less and less people give a poo poo about aquariums at all and that there's tons of them.

He was probably told his whole life (just like every other "Millenial") that getting not just a degree, but a computer science degree, was easy street to adoration and wealth. And while he even got to the top of that wave and is clearly doing fine (I mean, it's still loving Google man. Ya done did good kid.) he loses it because by the time he showed up the club had expanded its membership.

----

Also, as a funny aside: I'm seeing a bunch of my interns fail at getting positions/asked in interviews why they don't have "Expertise" in MS Office. This isn't the case, clearly. What's going on is that to these kids it's so loving obvious that you use office/word processors to write papers, excel to do data analysis, powerpoint, etc that they don't think to list it. To them it's like saying "Can use pencils". At the same time the hiring managers are still looking to see that you have that skill since they're still of the mind that it's not ubiquitous in education these days. Just another aspect of expertise inflation.

Crain fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 8, 2017

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

gohmak posted:

I wonder if this is the straw that causes Ecuador to put him on his rear end.

https://www.rave.dj/TSGMnUg0pWCYUw

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
E. Trump keeping it classy:

https://twitter.com/TrumpsAlert/status/894873341529477121

https://twitter.com/jjauthor/status/894753855036022785

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"How many times can I shoot myself in the foot before I regrow a new foot?" - Wikileaks.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so much stupid in this tweet :psyboom:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Crain posted:

Also, as a funny aside: I'm seeing a bunch of my interns fail at getting positions/asked in interviews why they don't have "Expertise" in MS Office. This isn't the case, clearly. What's going on is that to these kids it's so loving obvious that you use office/word processors to write papers, excel to do data analysis, powerpoint, etc that they don't think to list it. To them it's like saying "Can use pencils". At the same time the hiring managers are still looking to see that you have that skill since they're still of the mind that it's not ubiquitous in education these days. Just another aspect of expertise inflation.

loving olds lmao

In other news, contrary to the Trump/Republican narrative that Muslim Americans cannot assimilate and are a danger to the LGBT community, Muslim Americans are now substantially more progressive than white evangelical Christians. Muslim American support for LGBT acceptance has doubled since 2007, from a quarter to about half (which is comparable to the general population).

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
So loving surreal to see the guy who gets daily briefings compiled by the world's most extensive surveillance and security apparatus posting n korea links from fox and friends. He really is just an old man yelling at the tv

https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/894858253573738496

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mustached Demon posted:

Pro tip for would be stemlord graduates hoping to have a career in the tech industry: prepare to be humbled. There are many people smarter than you and they enjoy the gently caress out of putting your idiot rear end in your place.

This is a little surprising to me, I thought this is what happened at the top schools that these companies recruit from. You get these loving old professors that believe in academic hazing because "it was good enough for them and parents are being told to look out for signs of depression and suicidal ideation.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gotta love when right wing just world idiots sue for wrongful termination. The sad part is I half expect our Justice system to consider right wing political belief a protected class more than gay people.

terrorist ambulance posted:

So loving surreal to see the guy who gets daily briefings compiled by the world's most extensive surveillance and security apparatus posting n korea links from fox and friends. He really is just an old man yelling at the tv

https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/894858253573738496

Trump is what happens when a blob of right wing email forwards at the center of the Internet become so massive it gains sentience and then becomes President.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 8, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

So, as many of you are no doubt aware, the Trump Administration has been catastrophic for the rights of Americans with disabilities, especially those with mental disabilities, as it doesn't do its best to defend them in court and as Betsy DeVos shreds support for education support for disabled Americans, not to mention attempts to take away their healthcare via Medicaid defunding.

Another issue is that Americans with mental disabilities can currently be sent to special factories where they can be paid well below minimum wage by companies like Goodwill. The Obama Administration was making progress on ending this practice - notably, the State of Vermont has gotten rid of it entirely already - but the Trump Administration is backsliding on the issue.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/08/many-people-with-disabilities-are-being-paid-way-below-the-minimum-wage-and-its-perfectly-legal/

That article is not really showing the whole story. Most Goodwills are independent of the national organization, I worked for the goodwill of mass and the people that were employed were severely handicapped, and it was basically a daycare. Our ratio was 87% and we operated close to the red most years.

You'd have a room of 30 handicapped people with ten social workers. Not exactly a winning formula for huge profits.

I'm not saying it's the best thing, but it wasn't operated as a profit center, it was operated as an option for families with severely handicapped members.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Uhhh

Since when can WikiLeaks pay Google engineer salaries? Assange being flush with capital is the real story here for me. If, of course, he's not just taking out of his rear end

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

nerdz posted:

Uhhh

Since when can WikiLeaks pay Google engineer salaries? Assange being flush with capital is the real story here for me. If, of course, he's not just taking out of his rear end

He's lonely and just wants someone to live in the embassy with him.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

nerdz posted:

Uhhh

He didn't say he would pay

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nerdz posted:

Uhhh

Hell, I'm still wondering who provides him food?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mr Interweb posted:

The VA has palliative care and cancer treatment. Usually the cancer treatment at the smaller VAs is either farmed out to the local university hospital or the doctors that work at the VA are the same as the ones at the University hospital. The records transfer from VA to VA so McCain could move to any place in the USA and tests would not need to be redone.

Sounds kinda good to me. /shrug

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Krispy Kareem posted:

That said, John Roberts hasn’t been much of a ideologue

The man who has spent 28 years trying to dismantle the Voting Rights Act (even working pro bono at a multi-million dollar firm to do so) and called Citizens United vs. FEC his "proudest moment."

:thunk:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Leftmost candidate in the primary, straight ticket Democrat in the general.

Left-most candidate that can win in the primary.

Dems don't usually have a ton of kooks or losers that become competitive, but if Jill Stein ran I wouldn't vote for her.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The man who has spent 28 years trying to dismantle the Voting Rights Act (even working pro bono at a multi-million dollar firm to do so) and called Citizens United vs. FEC his "proudest moment."

:thunk:

Well to be fair he hasn't overturned Roe v Wade and the Civil Rights Act yet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Jon Bel Edwards pro-life? I know he's a gun nut for sure

Yes, but he brought Medicaid expansion to Louisiana and ended their insane corporate tax cut program.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

Is that something that is a real actual problem or a thing that could be a problem? The one of those factories I know of isn't some slave house, it's just some wood working arts and craft project a local group home has. It's people with true profound disability doing labor that isn't remotely economically productive and is basically a charity thing where you buy their bad woodworking as a token thing to donate some money to the place they live.

I can definitely imagine that system being used to make an exploited slave workforce but is that a real thing that happens frequently or a boogyman on a program that is mostly just some charity thing for people that can't produce meaningful economic labor getting to play out a "going to work" role play.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lote posted:

The VA has palliative care and cancer treatment. Usually the cancer treatment at the smaller VAs is either farmed out to the local university hospital or the doctors that work at the VA are the same as the ones at the University hospital. The records transfer from VA to VA so McCain could move to any place in the USA and tests would not need to be redone.

Sounds kinda good to me. /shrug

Huh? I was referring to how stupid it is to take McCain to a government agency that provides fully government provided health care (the VA) but instead put him on a system that involves him buying private insurance (Obamacare) and using that as some great "owned libtard!" line.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Mr Interweb posted:

After all this time and all the discussion about the issue there are political pundits that don't know what the ACA is and how it works.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dems don't usually have a ton of kooks or losers that become competitive, but if Jill Stein ran I wouldn't vote for her.

You shouldn't vote for Jill Stein regardless. Her v Republicans a tough call even. I'd probably write in Weedlord Bonerhitler if I only had those two.

Jill Stein's a piece of poo poo who's ok with babies dying of diseases we should have eradicated decades ago.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

"How many times can I shoot myself in the foot before I regrow a new foot?" - Wikileaks.

Well, Assange does look like a lizardman half the time..

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I extend my congratulations to James Damore for making it into the conservative grift circuit. Put some work in and you'll be a talking head on Fox in six months.

Post 9-11 User posted:

When I wake up at 6am on a day off and there are no new delirious, rambling tweets from our Commander In Chief is when I feel he has truly let down this nation. :mad:

It's sunny in Bedminster today. Expect the next tweetstorm on the weekend when it gets rainy again.

Mustached Demon posted:

You shouldn't vote for Jill Stein regardless. Her v Republicans a tough call even. I'd probably write in Weedlord Bonerhitler if I only had those two.

Jill Stein's a piece of poo poo who's ok with babies dying of diseases we should have eradicated decades ago.

If you support Stein you cede all moral authority on Trump/Russia, if that's your thing.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mr Interweb posted:

Huh? I was referring to how stupid it is to take McCain to a government agency that provides fully government provided health care (the VA) but instead put him on a system that involves him buying private insurance (Obamacare) and using that as some great "owned libtard!" line.

I know. The VA has its faults but the amount of care that it provides is leaps and bounds better than many of the Obamacare plans. What they suggested was impossible and it's just bad thing plus bad thing must be bad. It's trying to be this huge own but reality is mich different.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Radish posted:

Gotta love when right wing just world idiots sue for wrongful termination. The sad part is I half expect our Justice system to consider right wing political belief a protected class more than gay people.

Is CA an at-will state?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NYT got a leaked copy of an internal government report from 13 Agencies and the National Science Foundation that the Trump administration denied a clearance to be released publicly.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/government-report-us-warmed-rapidly

quote:

The average temperature in the United States has risen rapidly since 1980 as a result of climate change, according to a government report obtained by the New York Times.

One scientist who worked on the report told the New York Times that some scientists wanted to leak the report out of concern that the report would be suppressed. President Donald Trump has repeatedly called climate change a “hoax” and pulled out of the Paris climate accord this year.

The report found that even if humans immediately stop greenhouse gas emissions, the average global temperature will still rise this century, according to the Times. The report also found a link between man made climate change and an uptick in extreme weather events, per the Times.

Trump's Immigration Bill is also DOA in the Senate.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rubio-white-house-backed-immigration-plan-not-going-to-pass-in-senate

Dems will filibuster. Plus Rubio is against it because it would potentially limit opportunities for Cubans.

Nikki Haley confirms that there is no chance that the U.S. re-enters the Paris Climate Accords unless every country in the world (except for Syria and Columbia) agrees to renegotiate it from scratch.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/haley-us-paris-withdraw-doesnt-mean-dont-believe-in-climate-protection

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 8, 2017

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean it's the quintessential expression of "equality feels like oppression to the privileged," I dipped into the Reddit thread and about three comments in they'd started on the "affirmative action is racist against white people, the process should be colorblind" talking points. It shouldn't surprise anyone that the libertarian techbro class really wants everyone to operate as if people were already equal and structural inequality didn't exist/has already been solved.

When I pointed out in the Blind thread that 70% of STEM graduates in Iran are women some Facebook techbro told me that doesn't count because unlike western countries where women get to choose a position freely women in Iran are oppressed into STEM :smugdog:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

OddObserver posted:

Is CA an at-will state?

Every state is an at-will state except for Montana.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yeah but Jill Stein didn't run in the Democratic primary.

In the current environment, presuming a sane candidate operating in good faith and who who has not been photographed having dinner with Putin (all tests Stein fails), I don't think "leftmost" and "can win" are necessarily opposed. For some candidates (Bernie) they may even be mutually reinforcing. The electorate, especially the young electorate, is a lot further left than anyone "mainstream" is prepared to admit, even now.

Plus, voting leftmost candidate in the primary helps push the party further left which is a net good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I mean, yeah. His treatment would be covered just fine were he on an ACA plan.

• Locked thread