Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
No episode due to travel commitments I think but they said they'd have a couple this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

lmao all i do is lift and get laid while listening to motorhead, anarcho punk, folk punk, and dumbass nerd metal you're hosed bro

Got any good anarcho punk recs?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Appalachian Terror Unit is my main poo poo

Also ARU and Spanner

And I've heard all the arguments from fools and cowards but Sonic Mass by Amebix is loving excellent, fight me

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also Last Under the Sun and Moral Dilemma

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Crane Fist posted:

Dead Cross sounding real good so far yeah
Hell yeah it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpdcT8kyP1U
:black101:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

WorkerThread posted:

metal is the anime of music

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Did Twitter's ItsTonyNow ever return under an alt? That was a good account.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
smh at everyone in this thread listening to thrash metal, the This American LIfe of metal. im over here listening to the Cum Town of metaL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1MEkNNlp-Y

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Some real dumb poo poo happening in this thread recently.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

I don't think so. There have been multiple fraud ones though

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Crane Fist posted:

Appalachian Terror Unit is my main poo poo

Also ARU and Spanner

And I've heard all the arguments from fools and cowards but Sonic Mass by Amebix is loving excellent, fight me

What's ARU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Lord Frisk posted:

Some real dumb poo poo happening in this thread recently.

I know, some guy insulted Slough Feg.

Wtf

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dirt posted:

I know, some guy insulted Slough Feg.

Wtf

Look all I'm saying is that if you want some inoffensive and bland 80s riffing that's still fairly solid, Slough Feg are your guys.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What's ARU

Armed Response Unit, they used to play what seemed like every single gig I went to in the late 2000s

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dimebags Brain posted:

Look all I'm saying is that if you want some inoffensive and bland 80s riffing that's still fairly solid, Slough Feg are your guys.

if you think the riffs on Traveller are bland then you have brain worms and should go join Eric Garland in the bad music corner

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

For the past few pages I've felt like I'm at a party and chatting with someone, then suddenly a bunch of dudes with long hair, scraggly beards and metal T-Shirts walk up and completely overtake the conversation, leaving me completely in the dark, and I'm just sitting there like "...So...uh... The World Is Mind was kind of disappointing, huh?"

Y'all could have made up literally 80% of those bands and I would not have a fuckkng clue.

quadrophrenic posted:

lol what

link

Well I was assuming it was the dude that buzzfeed ran an article on, cuz I couldn't think of any other "thicc wife guy," but somebody dug through his older tweets and there's a whole bunch of "I'm not racist buuuut (racist poo poo)."

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Have you heard much Crass? I think any good primer to anarcho punk necessarily begins with Crass

other than that, I only dabble, so i can give you kind of a scattershot of "heres a few anarchist punk bands I like"

The Crucifucks - midwestern schizophrenic weirdo with a really really really hard-to-listen-to voice revels in the death of cops over really fuckin catchy mid-tempo american punk, for fans of dead kennedys
The Ex - very similar to Gang of Four in that they're really about sneering at culture and institutions in broad theoretical terms, but they're a far sight more fun and experimental than GoF. library is huge. i like Turn and Mudbird Shivers
Nation of Ulysses - dischord band. their music is nothing to write home about IMO, but they have good leftist bona fides and they're angry as gently caress. they do that dischord-ey mid-tempo poorly-sung post-punk sound to a tee, so if you like early fugazi they're worth a listen
Chumbawumba - isn't really a "punk" band, but probably my favorite because they shed the po-faced big-picture dialectic of the above bands in favor of direct, pointed, snarky criticism of actual human hypocrites with names. also they make music that's legitimately joyful and fun and entertaining and nice to listen to

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

InequalityGodzilla posted:

For the past few pages I've felt like I'm at a party and chatting with someone, then suddenly a bunch of dudes with long hair, scraggly beards and metal T-Shirts walk up and completely overtake the conversation, leaving me completely in the dark, and I'm just sitting there like "...So...uh... The World Is Mind was kind of disappointing, huh?"

Y'all could have made up literally 80% of those bands and I would not have a fuckkng clue.

The World is Mind was such a letdown I had to go back and listen to By All Means Necessary to try and remember why I even gave a poo poo

It's like if I wanted to listen to dime store Killah Priest I'd be playing Rip the Jacker, come on dude

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
oh my dude are we talking anarcho punk

You necessarily have to mention Rudimentary Peni. Their EPs are unfathomably good, and even the weird later stuff where Blinko's psychosis took over has some weird solid merit. The Mob, of course--the opening track off Let The Tribe Increase is unassailable, and the No Doves Fly Here 7" slaps. Flux of Pink Indians is a bit touch-and-go cuz they love goofy sound collage interludes but when they're on (Myxomatosit, Tube Disaster) it's some of the best anarchopunk ever recorded. Poison Girls is famed for having a middle-aged housewife for a vocalist, which nowadays that kind of thing is a gimmick (Grindma, ugh) but taps into something super real about the working class experience under Thatcher. If you wanna go a little later/rowdier (more in the crust realm) Antisect and Conflict are required listening, as well as Napalm Death's Hatred Surge demo (ND was on Bullshit Detector 3, one of the Crass Records comps--all the Billshit Detectors are great and full of obscure rippers).

Once you hit the mid-80s there's the rise and fall of like d-beat and crust as monoliths, which give way in the late 80s to fastcore and powerviolence.

The first Chumbawamba album is basically the only album you ever need though

SEX HAVER 40000 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 8, 2017

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

WorkerThread posted:

metal is the anime of music

correct, they both rule

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

lmao all i do is lift and get laid while listening to motorhead, anarcho punk, folk punk, and dumbass nerd metal you're hosed bro

lol literally same

jonny hobo and the freight trains ftw

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I'm gonna have to check those Flux albums out, all I've ever listened to is loving Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks and whoo boy that is an album that challenges you to listen to it

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Jonny hobo and the freight trains
Days n Daze
Andrew Jackson Jihad aka AJJ
Mischief Brew
Ramshackle Glory

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

You necessarily have to mention Rudimentary Peni. Their EPs are unfathomably good, and even the weird later stuff where Blinko's psychosis took over has some weird solid merit.

Oh hell yeah Death Church is a genuinely uncomfortable listen and No More Pain was actually a loving amazing record given just how far off the deep end he'd gone

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Crane Fist posted:

Oh hell yeah Death Church is a genuinely uncomfortable listen and No More Pain was actually a loving amazing record given just how far off the deep end he'd gone

Death Church is probably high in my top 10 all time albums. There isn't a single bad second of a song on there. The later albums like Cacophony and Pope Adrian 37th (lol) have flashes of that brilliance but are so unhinged that you have to sort of meet them on their own terms. Blinko also wrote a semiatubiographical novel, Primal Screamer--it's a deep-dive into an interesting dude. Sort of like if The Wasp Factory didn't have such a shithead for a protagonist.

quadrophrenic posted:

I'm gonna have to check those Flux albums out, all I've ever listened to is loving Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks and whoo boy that is an album that challenges you to listen to it

This is the first time I've heard the name of that album since an old beardo insisted on how good it was at a noise show like a decade ago. I'll check it out. My general rule for FOPI songs is anything under two minutes or over 5 is probably hilariously unlistenable

SEX HAVER 40000 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 8, 2017

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I was at a Blind Guardian show once and I managed to snag one of the guitar picks, 10 seconds later I flipped it for twice the cost of the ticket price.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Moist von Lipwig posted:

lol literally same

jonny hobo and the freight trains ftw

Johnny Hobo rules so fuckin hard, Never Trust a Man Who Plays Guitar was an anthem at band practice

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

The last time, between leaving a_girl_irl and starting famous scotty tonga, it was a few months.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/894787168899674112

https://twitter.com/Wonkette/status/894690920544817152
:suicide:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 8, 2017

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Jonny hobo and the freight trains
Days n Daze
Andrew Jackson Jihad aka AJJ
Mischief Brew
Ramshackle Glory

Is there a difference between anarcho punk and folk punk?

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEAPAHTeHSg

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Neon Belly posted:

Is there a difference between anarcho punk and folk punk?

I would assume "folk punk" involved acoustic guitars, maybe?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

prefect posted:

I would assume "folk punk" involved acoustic guitars, maybe?

Yeah anarcho punk doesn't really have anything to do with folk punk (though a band can be both)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Uncarved Block by Flux of Pink Indians is a good record

InequalityGodzilla posted:

THIS IS HOW WE TURN YOUR BORING PARTY INTO ART

quadrophrenic posted:

The Crucifucks - midwestern schizophrenic weirdo with a really really really hard-to-listen-to voice revels in the death of cops over really fuckin catchy mid-tempo american punk, for fans of dead kennedys

Didn't Steve Shelley, drummer for Sonic Youth, play with the Crucifucks for awhile before SY?

I tried to read a Wonkette article called "Sure Guys, It Is Awesome We Are making GBS threads On Kamala Harris" to laugh at it, but the writing was so goddamn infuriating I gave up.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah anarcho punk doesn't really have anything to do with folk punk (though a band can be both)

Oh ok. I see some of those bands in r/folkpunk a lot, guess they just participate in both genres.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

I agree with premise.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Didn't Steve Shelley, drummer for Sonic Youth, play with the Crucifucks for awhile before SY?

yeah that's probably their only claim to notoriety

interesting band, tho. the lead singer had a psychotic break, spent some time in a mental hospital for a few years, changed his named to 26, converted to christianity and swore off profanity. but even in recent interviews he still ferociously drags blind nationalism and neoliberal hypocrisy. fascinating dude

his christian rock is actually really great too, IMO, for the exact opposite reasons I like the 'fucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnV3DGWZBF0

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 8, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I feel like you could make a good argument that he's completely right.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

smh at everyone in this thread listening to thrash metal, the This American LIfe of metal. im over here listening to the Cum Town of metaL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1MEkNNlp-Y

This guy gets it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like when folk punk losers start cosplaying as a black metal band because they know in their hearts they are idealistic pastoral reactionaries.