Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im getting really tired of text editor meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

akadajet posted:

you know what a good text editor is? visual studio code.

it's intuitive and good.
it, too, has a vi mode plugin

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Corla Plankun posted:

i still dont know how tf to paste into vim even though ive done it successfully like ten or twelve times

Ctrl R "

i just tried shift insert and it also worked but it's straight up vi on Solaris so ymmv

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

akadajet posted:

it's intuitive and good.

vsc is my daily driver for python, rust, erlang, elixir, elm, haskell, kittens, typescript and javascript

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

i still dont know how tf to paste into vim even though ive done it successfully like ten or twelve times

from the system clipboard? it's simple! the system clipboard is assigned the " register so it's just "+y to copy and "+p to paste!

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Corla Plankun posted:

code:
:set<SPC>paste<CR>i<C-v><ESC>:set<SPC>nopaste<CR>

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

vsc is my daily driver for python, rust, erlang, elixir, elm, haskell, kittens, typescript and javascript

i've been using it for c because i can't be bothered to learn a new ide at the same time as a new language. it's not bad.

it's real good for c# but that's not surprising.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I started using vs code on windows because the terminal situation is atrocious there and it's pretty good so far. A modal editing plugin and things are good.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I use vim because I am old and set in my ways. Why you would torture yourself with it in an IDE is, however, a mystery to me.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Don’t model me in!

I got to see Bravo running on YC’s Alto this weekend at VCF West

also it existed before vi

it didn’t go modeless until 1979, but at least it did

eschaton fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 8, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MononcQc posted:

I started using vs code on windows because the terminal situation is atrocious there and it’s pretty good so far. A modal editing plugin and things are good.

you know what’s even better?

getting rid of the “modal editing” plug-in

use modeless editing for a few weeks and you’ll be faster because of the lower cognitive load

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

eschaton posted:

use modeless editing for a few weeks and you’ll be faster because of the lower cognitive load

do you have any evidence for this or is it just how you feel?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
brain hurtying at work cause of vim cognitive load :(

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

eschaton posted:

you know what’s even better?

getting rid of the “modal editing” plug-in

I started without modal editing. I had to adopt it because I would get severe tendonitis that would keep me from working more than 2 hours a day at ~20 years old. With modal editing I can use a computer for more than 8 hours a day without a problem. I'm never going back, because going back means I can't work anymore.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my editor, my terminal, and my browser all have vim keybindings in them. Come to the normal mode for an rear end kicking.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
modal editing is worth the brick wall learning curve if and only if you stare at a screen and type poo poo all day every day
this describes everyone in the thread i think tho

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
but is modal editing better with tabs or spaces?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I use vim to edit un-analyzeable langs like C but any time I use an actual IDE I don't really find myself missing it :shrug:

There are also a bunch of annoying little things about vim, like the fact that it doesn't display what the hell file each numbered buffer holds

"oh, but there's a plugin for that! you just..."

translation: "oh, this product is defective out of the box, but it's cool you can fix it because you obviously don't have any actual work that could better occupy your time"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

it's intuitive and good.

agreed. extremely my poo poo for latex documents

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

in vim you don't copy and paste. you yank and pull

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
and you gotta set compiletime flags to yank and pull from os clipboard
so that's the brick wall difficulty thing
but I can't do code editing in a non-vim-plugined ide anymore
I literally instinctively spam vim commands and get frustrated when I don't exit into normal mode

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

akadajet posted:

in vim you don’t copy and paste. you yank and pull

in every macOS text box you can do either/both!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’ve been attempting to get goddamn ProDOS disks to load all day

there are two disk image formats (well, three but NIB doesn’t count here) for Apple 2: DOS-order and ProDOS-order.

DOS-order images contain a sector-by-sector dump of the disk in the DOS 3.3 sector interleave order.

ProDOS on the other hand stores files in 512-byte blocks, so ProDOS disk images contain a dump of each block in order. You have to split a block into two sectors, work out the interleaved logical sector for each half-block and then convert that to a physical disk sector (which is different from the DOS sector order). I’ve got some weird problem with sector ordering or something where the bootblock loads and then the disk crashes

then there are NIB files which are just a dump of the data on the disk surface independent of any sector ordering, except when they’re not because ciderpress was made by hitler

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

suffix posted:

https://deadlockempire.github.io/
this is pretty good to put the fear in you if you've ever thought oh threading isn't so hard just use a mutex
lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

best mongo gui for the case when i have no way around it?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
os clipboard goes into the + register.

"+p pastes in normal mode.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the only thing less funny than this is coworker who pronounces it as mango >:[

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
mon-joe

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

hmm is it worth me adding typescript for managing "helper" scripts in .Net mvc? it seems like I need a whole load of libraries added just to do $(myAss). Append() which is like 80% of the usage

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

I use vim to edit un-analyzeable langs like C but any time I use an actual IDE I don't really find myself missing it :shrug:

There are also a bunch of annoying little things about vim, like the fact that it doesn't display what the hell file each numbered buffer holds

"oh, but there's a plugin for that! you just..."

translation: "oh, this product is defective out of the box, but it's cool you can fix it because you obviously don't have any actual work that could better occupy your time"

you can use :ls to get the list of buffers with filenames, but personally I just work with tabs and panes which show the filename nonetheless.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:bisonyes:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

akadajet posted:

in vim you don't copy and paste. you yank and pull

but yanking and pulling is the same thing?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I yank and pull every time we get into text editor talk.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ed is the standard editor

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i yank with one hand and pull with the other

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Wheany posted:

but yanking and pulling is the same thing?

you bootstrap yourself to moving text around

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

robomongo needs my suits

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arcsech posted:

robomongo needs my suits

that's what i ended up getting in the absence of any enterprise licenses to something available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i use mongo booster and it sucks but not as much as mongo compass which is lol

• Locked thread