Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Who would win in a battle of wills?

Kissinger or Soros?
Kissinger. Mass murder is literally an aphrodisiac for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I pick Soros. He's 9/10ths fictional, and therefore 90% immortal. Kissinger is more alive than he should be, sure, but that's just another example of evil bastards burning to the socket. It's only a matter of time.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

WampaLord posted:

I think it's not going to be a "women can't be funny!" take, I think it's going to be a "don't improv all your jokes and try to find the movie in editing" take.

Just my two cents. :shrug:

I'm sick of hearing about Ghostbusters 2016 and I'm sick of the Plinkett character. The Force Awakens video seemed like it was done purely out of obligation. But maybe I'm just the only person in the thread who never fell in love with Red Letter Media beyond those prequel videos and maybe a few Plinkett ones. :shrug:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solitair posted:

I'm sick of hearing about Ghostbusters 2016 and I'm sick of the Plinkett character. The Force Awakens video seemed like it was done purely out of obligation. But maybe I'm just the only person in the thread who never fell in love with Red Letter Media beyond those prequel videos and maybe a few Plinkett ones. :shrug:

The vast majority of their content is non-Plinkett stuff, though.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I've become a fan of their Re:View series. Best of the Worst is still great though, and Half in the Bag does show their non-pedantic critic chops.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
RLM became mean spirited and, combined with their insular attitude towards the greater internet, makes them ripe for adoption by the certain elements. Their nerdcrew parody can viewed as taking snowflakes down a peg. Its wink and nod that may not be intentional but readily appreciated by youtube idiots. I was always apprehensive about RLM because their kind of humor could swing in any direction but they mostly go for the absurd instead of spiteful. But I wouldn't be surprised if they went on a rant about the urban community needing to pull their pants up.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

temple posted:

RLM became mean spirited and, combined with their insular attitude towards the greater internet, makes them ripe for adoption by the certain elements. Their nerdcrew parody can viewed as taking snowflakes down a peg.

Uh, they got popular with the Star Wars Plinkett reviews which had tons of mean stuff in them, including rape jokes and what not.

And it should be pretty obvious that the nerdcrew parody is all about poking fun at commercialized youtubers and their ilk. Unless you happen to think that "snowflakes" somehow are linked with making GBS threads into Sony swag bags.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

temple posted:

RLM became mean spirited and, combined with their insular attitude towards the greater internet, makes them ripe for adoption by the certain elements. Their nerdcrew parody can viewed as taking snowflakes down a peg. Its wink and nod that may not be intentional but readily appreciated by youtube idiots. I was always apprehensive about RLM because their kind of humor could swing in any direction but they mostly go for the absurd instead of spiteful. But I wouldn't be surprised if they went on a rant about the urban community needing to pull their pants up.

If they can tolerate the company of Max Landis for more than 5 minutes I don't think they have any hosed up opinions up their sleeves. Other than the notion that it's a good idea to spend time with Max Landis.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Frogfingers posted:

If they can tolerate the company of Max Landis for more than 5 minutes I don't think they have any hosed up opinions up their sleeves. Other than the notion that it's a good idea to spend time with Max Landis.

I wouldn't diss Max, he reads SA :ssh:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Frogfingers posted:

If they can tolerate the company of Max Landis for more than 5 minutes I don't think they have any hosed up opinions up their sleeves.
I really don't understand the connection here.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Well he's been getting insulted here really aggressively for years. It can't be a pleasant experience for him. Joke #1 always involves his dad killing those kids and a helicopter pilot one time.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

temple posted:

No RLM are cool guys who's worst crimes are making a couple of slightly off-color jokes and also Space Cop. They aren't right wing or alt right in the least, one thing that always stood out to me was when they watch the Cynthia Rothrock movie Undefeatable and seemed she might have been the victim of sexist double standards, at least Mike suggested as much.

I'm just a bit fed up still hearing about that lousy Ghostbusters movie.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
Ghostbusters 2016 is a terrible film despite the actresses best efforts. with alot of the blame to be laid at Paul Feig's feet. How the gently caress do gently caress up such a simple remake with McCarthy and Wiig as your leads.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The Plinkett Reviews are loving gross and awful, not to mention bad and lazy film criticism. They seem like the sort of dudes who wouldn't gracefully apologize and own up if they put out a lovely and offensive video and would gladly turn towards the "SJWs ARE CENSORING RLM!!!" crowd if that came to pass

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn't that ghostbusters movie at least a year ago? Why keep talking about it?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

business hammocks posted:

Wasn't that ghostbusters movie at least a year ago? Why keep talking about it?

I dunno, you'll have to watch the video to find out!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All of rlm's other stuff is so much better than the Plinkett poo poo and has been for years. I don't know why they keep that gimmick alive. Their hyper-irony and performative self-loathing suggest they should have been making jokes about how lame and bad of a crutch it is by like 2013.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
RLM made some joke about Ghostbusters 2016 involving "EVPMS", so yeah. They're not a particularly progressive bunch.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Bolingbroke posted:

RLM made some joke about Ghostbusters 2016 involving "EVPMS", so yeah. They're not a particularly progressive bunch.

drat milkshake duck!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bolingbroke posted:

The original Plinkett reviews were done from the frame of mind of a man who kills hookers in his creepy basement, they never were trying to be "a particularly progressive bunch."

They're not alt-right though just because they made a PMS joke. People are complicated, you can't just slot them into "good progressives" and "evil bros"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

WampaLord posted:

The original Plinkett reviews were done from the frame of mind of a man who kills hookers in his creepy basement, they never were trying to be "a particularly progressive bunch."

They're not alt-right though just because they made a PMS joke. People are complicated, you can't just slot them into "good progressives" and "evil bros"

No one thinks they're alt-right. People do think that's a lovely joke to make.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Glagha posted:

That's totally fair.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah that's the sort of poo poo that makes me think if they ever got any "serious" heat they would whip hard right to find an audience that wouldn't dare to criticize them. I could be wrong though, it's just kind of a vibe I get

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

People make jokes out of disturbing situations all the time. This isn't SJW'ness or political correctness, you're all just being precious.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

khwarezm posted:

No RLM are cool guys who's worst crimes are making a couple of slightly off-color jokes and also Space Cop. They aren't right wing or alt right in the least, one thing that always stood out to me was when they watch the Cynthia Rothrock movie Undefeatable and seemed she might have been the victim of sexist double standards, at least Mike suggested as much.

I'm just a bit fed up still hearing about that lousy Ghostbusters movie.

they're political centrists - they generally agree that racism, sexism etc. are bad things but they can't always identify it or are willing to denounce it in favor of off color jokes

imo they're generally politically/culturally unsophisticated midwesterners and have to be viewed in that context. in one of the best of the worst they watch this bizarre japanese film made by a christian cult and none of them could identify the japanese writing on the box. these dudes are titanic nerds, i would expect at least one of them to have watched some anime and be able to recognize japanese but no (or maybe the anime watcher was too embarrased to admit it)

their problematicness is that they speak from a position of profound white and male privilege but they don't necessarily use this position to act regressively. at worst you can say that they aren't actively pushing progressive opinions and just express sort of a low rent clueless bigotry without meaning to which i think is grudgingly acceptable as we can't expect everyone to try to be aware of their opinions

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 8, 2017

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

boner confessor posted:

they're political centrists - they generally agree that racism, sexism etc. are bad things but they can't always identify it or are willing to denounce it in favor of off color jokes

imo they're generally politically/culturally unsophisticated midwesterners and have to be viewed in that context. in one of the best of the worst they watch this bizarre japanese film made by a christian cult and none of them could identify the japanese writing on the box. these dudes are titanic nerds, i would expect at least one of them to have watched some anime and be able to recognize japanese but no (or maybe the anime watcher was too embarrased to admit it)

They're mostly pre-anime nerds.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boner confessor posted:

not only was SOS made by a christian cult, it was specifically made by The Family International, aka "christianity but also lets publish a guide on loving children"

sucks the fun right out of that video

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
they were also a bit off color about shoji tabuchi - his appearance and accent were comical in the initial presentation but they lingered on it a bit too long imo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Goa Tse-tung posted:

max landis you're garbage, your comics are garbage, lexi alexander should beat the poo poo out of you, your dad should be in jail, get hosed forever, shocker: legit is the worst thing i've ever read and you should be in jail for writing it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They're white boys from the 90s who grew up in an extremely white place. They're not right-leaning at all and wouldn't agree with transgression for the sake of transgression like their pepe contingent fans, but they have pretty big blind spots sometimes.

For example, they showed a commercial from the 70s with a black kid playing with a Han Solo doll to show that kids just love exciting space adventure stories and don't need non-white characters to be invested in the story, but I don't think they were against having black characters in the movie. Rather, they would just criticize the weak story by saying that the people who made Star Wars VII put their attention on things "that don't matter" instead of on story and direction.

I think that in Wisconsin they are probably considered left-wing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

They're white boys from the 90s who grew up in an extremely white place. They're not right-leaning at all and wouldn't agree with transgression for the sake of transgression like their pepe contingent fans, but they have pretty big blind spots sometimes.

yeah. they're not malicious so much as they're clueless

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For them it's still 1998 and they just turned 19. It's a variation on the James Rolfe Effect where his basement is a portal to 1994 and he's 15 whenever he goes down there.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Regarde Aduck posted:

People make jokes out of disturbing situations all the time. This isn't SJW'ness or political correctness, you're all just being precious.

There's "making jokes out of disturbing situations" and "there's making lovely jokes that are just lovely to make." From everything I've seen of RLM, they do both. And I don't think RLM needs you to white knight for them. They aren't going to gently caress you.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

For example, they showed a commercial from the 70s with a black kid playing with a Han Solo doll to show that kids just love exciting space adventure stories and don't need non-white characters to be invested in the story, but I don't think they were against having black characters in the movie. Rather, they would just criticize the weak story by saying that the people who made Star Wars VII put their attention on things "that don't matter" instead of on story and direction.

I think that in Wisconsin they are probably considered left-wing.

I think this varies by person. Mike and Rich are somewhat more clueless "classic" nerds. Jay, AIDS Moby and The Wizard all seem slightly more aware of issues of representation and Jay almost comes off as a post-modernist in terms of his taste and interpretation of films, but they usually keep the deeper commentary to things like re:View.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
When you can reach and arguably influence over half a million people with your platform (or any number of people, really), do you have any sort of moral obligation to at least not be clueless about the poo poo that spews from your mouth?

I think that's kind of a core question these threads tend to bounce around, even if it's not explicitly asked.

I think the general consensus here is that, Yes, you do.

I also think the general consensus here is that it's not ever going to be accepted that you do, because freeze peach or something.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I think this varies by person. Mike and Rich are somewhat more clueless "classic" nerds. Jay, AIDS Moby and The Wizard all seem slightly more aware of issues of representation and Jay almost comes off as a post-modernist in terms of his taste and interpretation of films, but they usually keep the deeper commentary to things like re:View.

sure, but the 'face' of RLM is mike, he and jay are the main two (and their dynamic is that mike is clearly the dominant one) and you see a lot of rich evans

mike is a comedian whose biggest priority is to make jokes, at his or others' expense, which is often a big vector for raw or unPC humor

jay just laughs at whatever mike says

rich evans' heart is in the right place but he's an ill educated crack baby with a speech disorder

zxqv8 posted:

When you can reach and arguably influence over half a million people with your platform (or any number of people, really), do you have any sort of moral obligation to at least not be clueless about the poo poo that spews from your mouth?

eh. they're not worse than most other channels that are exclusively white men talking about nerd things. and in discucssing them here i'm not trying to point out ways in which they could improve, really i'm just trying to articulate in my opinion why others would label them problematic. i think they are problematic but below the threshold of worth getting worked up over, they're about as problematic as the average group of white guys who get together and bullshit

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 8, 2017

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

WampaLord posted:

What? I never said they were "alt-right" or "evil". I just said they're not particularly progressive. I'm not slotting them into any kind of category.

EDIT Relatedly, the reason I stopped watching them was because they consistently misgendered Brandon Teena (as portrayed in Boys Don't Cry) and I don't have the patience for that. They weren't making transphobic jokes, they just didn't seem to understand that character was male. This was a couple years back so I don't know if they've improved on that front.

Bolingbroke fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 8, 2017

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

Some of the things they say are problematic. Others are downright progressive ("If you'e a woman over 40 in hollywood, the only roles you can apparently get are witch and mother" -Mike). Given how much of the nerd culture has been poisoned by #GG and "well, akshually...", they're not the worst representatives of nerds.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Well he's been getting insulted here really aggressively for years. It can't be a pleasant experience for him. Joke #1 always involves his dad killing those kids and a helicopter pilot one time.

Is that him in Who What Now's avatar?

Oh, he made the American Dirk Gently.. I rather enjoyed that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

boner confessor posted:

sure, but the 'face' of RLM is mike, he and jay are the main two (and their dynamic is that mike is clearly the dominant one) and you see a lot of rich evans

mike is a comedian whose biggest priority is to make jokes, at his or others' expense, which is often a big vector for raw or unPC humor

jay just laughs at whatever mike says

rich evans' heart is in the right place but he's an ill educated crack baby with a speech disorder

eh. they're not worse than most other channels that are exclusively white men talking about nerd things. and in discucssing them here i'm not trying to point out ways in which they could improve, really i'm just trying to articulate in my opinion why others would label them problematic. i think they are problematic but below the threshold of worth getting worked up over, they're about as problematic as the average group of white guys who get together and bullshit

Is being white alone problematic?

• Locked thread