Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
My mother brought up SSM recently and said she believes that gays should marry but it shouldn't be called marriage.

See I imagine people voting no on this thing based on such reasoning which by the way is more common than you think.

Then you will have the vocal minority who will scream what next, polygamy!?

I can easily see a plebiscite being close for a number of reasons. Mainly fence sitters, definition of marriage defenders and religious sects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Average voters thought process: oh it's not compulsory *throws letter in bin*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have a solution everyone can agree on.

Abolish marriage for everyone, live together if you want or don't.

All children to be raised by the state Immortan Joe.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Anidav posted:

My mother brought up SSM recently and said she believes that gays should marry but it shouldn't be called marriage.

See, personally, I agree that Same-sex partnerships should be equal under the law but that you shouldn't force a religious denomination to accept it.

Having said that, it's not like the Church groups are backing away from denouncing a woman's right to abortion or accepting a homosexual's right to be in a committed relationship [to say nothing about the ongoing revelations about their determination to cover up sex crimes and domestic abuse] so right now they can go gently caress themselves over a red hot skewer.

I'd wait and see what happens with a court challenge or if there are major protests around it, but I'll almost certainly vote in it. Hell it's one of the few things that I support my local member [Tim Wilson] on.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
They will focus test the wording relentlessly to get the highest possible "no" response, and unfortunately I have low faith in Australians in terms of their resistance to psychological manipulation. All I have to do is remember that Abbott was elected.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

You have to call it marriage because it's the language used in the actual law.

If marriage was a strictly religious term, we could avoid this hang-wringing over language, but it's not.

The framing of this debate as a religious issue makes no sense when the purportedly secular authority of the state is what's unfair.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

This whole circus is an awful lot of work to stymie the inevitable for perhaps another 10, maybe 20 years at most. All it does is portrays the hardline conservatives as extremely vindictive and willing to define their careers around having spite for a group of people that they probably never interact with. I guess it shouldn't really be surprising, they're politicians.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

One change of government and we'll have it. Not because that means a Labour government, but because it's an easy win for any party that wants to appear modern and in keeping with the entire rest of the Western world.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Hell, the tories in Britain got to lord over Labour as being the ones that legislated marriage equality.

It's such an easy win, for gently caress's sake.

It also emancipates upper-middle-class homosexuals from the guilt of voting for neo-liberal parties.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Zenithe posted:

Escalated by the agent, not the ATO. Do you find out if you are being audited or will they come for me in my bed.

your return was picked out of a hat and needs someone to eye-ball it, the eye-ballers are probably swamped atm.

if you were actually being audited they would send you a letter asking for your receipts or at the very least please explain how you've calculated a $20,000 deduction for laundry expenses

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Knobb Manwich posted:

your return was picked out of a hat and needs someone to eye-ball it, the eye-ballers are probably swamped atm.

if you were actually being audited they would send you a letter asking for your receipts or at the very least please explain how you've calculated a $20,000 deduction for laundry expenses

My clothes were very dirty.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Hopefully this kicks off some big protests soon so we can raise even more awareness that this is hosed up

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
new first dog

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Schlesische posted:

See, personally, I agree that Same-sex partnerships should be equal under the law but that you shouldn't force a religious denomination to accept it.

Already would be the case under the law. Many churches will refuse to marry couples that don't have the correct religious beliefs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Birdstrike posted:

new first dog

Hahaha that is some dense comedy.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tokamak posted:

This whole circus is an awful lot of work to stymie the inevitable for perhaps another 10, maybe 20 years at most. All it does is portrays the hardline conservatives as extremely vindictive and willing to define their careers around having spite for a group of people that they probably never interact with. I guess it shouldn't really be surprising, they're politicians.

10, 20? At the very most they're only delaying it until Labor get into power and while I respect the ALP's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory I'm not sure even they could lose the next election, particularly given they've been making the right moves in terms of focusing on inequality.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
If we get a No vote on this and then the ALP gets in and tries to actually do something, the screeching from Murdoch and Co. is going to be incredible

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Knorth posted:

If we get a No vote on this and then the ALP gets in and tries to actually do something, the screeching from Murdoch and Co. is going to be incredible

Will almost be worth it since the ALP could potentially get a lot of parliamentary control and will then be backed by the Greens, Xenophon and I believe Hinch is good with it. If it got voted down with 51% of a 20% return, then MPs passed a bill, I would be in seventh heaven with regard to the idiocy that follows.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

2. Giant loving idiots boycott the vote despite wanting to vote yes, because you better believe the bigots who are slavering to tell those faggots where to loving go will be voting in numbers

I initially thought this was just another example of LNP idiocy, but for this reason it may be an intelligent strategy if you are a hateful bigot - if you want to achieve a no vote and discourage yes voters it makes sense to make the voting process as demoralising and wasteful as possible.

I suppose non terrible people are obliged to vote yes, but it does entail participating in a process you see as inherently bad.

ModernMajorGeneral fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 8, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Recoome posted:

Hopefully this kicks off some big protests soon so we can raise even more awareness that this is hosed up

Zenithe seems alright but I ain't marching to keep him out of tax evader prison

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I thin there's a more subtle element, too - if this can be swung as a No vote by whatever metric, the LNP will be going hard for the next year about how they represent the majority of Australians unlike those leftists over there who continue to push this concept soundly rejected* by the Australian people who are never wrong. It's another grab for the Overton window - you'd call it a clever move if it wasn't actively evil.

*actual result 52-48, 30% participation rate.

Edit: If there's one thing Australians want, it's to be like everybody else.

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 8, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The notion of the plebiscite coming back is such a publicly, overtly enraging thing that part of me actually wants it, just because it'd let me flip out and become a righteous flaming hellbitch that takes this fight to the loving streets. It'd have a decent chance of coming back 'yes' but it'd feel like a fight worth having. I'd prefer not to have to fight at all for this thing everyone wants, though.

A postal vote wouldn't even give me that, it'd probably come back 'no' since they're so often skewed in favor of old conservatives. Not to mention how easy it would be to gently caress with the actual counts, and how unreliable it can be to even get all the votes cast in the first place.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Bruce Billson is sweating and twitching up an absolute storm on 7:30 right now

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
My Facebook feed is already full of 'progressives' saying they're going to boycott the plebiscite. Amazing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tokamak posted:

This whole circus is an awful lot of work to stymie the inevitable for perhaps another 10, maybe 20 years at most.

10, maybe 20 months at most.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

My Facebook feed is already full of 'progressives' saying they're going to boycott the plebiscite. Amazing.

Congratulate them on doing exactly what the LNP want.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

BBJoey posted:

10, 20? At the very most they're only delaying it until Labor get into power and while I respect the ALP's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory I'm not sure even they could lose the next election, particularly given they've been making the right moves in terms of focusing on inequality.

I was being generous.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Guardian reports Essential Research has Labor’s lead bouncing back to 54-46, after diminishing over recent weeks to 52-48 a week ago. The changes on the primary vote are rather striking by the standards of Essential’s fortnight rolling average, with Labor up three to 39% and the Coalition down two to a meagre 34% 

We are entering Ruddslide territory people

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
If a postal plebiscite goes through, what's to stop the ACL from mysteriously getting a few cartons of vote forms?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SuddenCactus posted:

If a postal plebiscite goes through, what's to stop the ACL from mysteriously getting a few cartons of vote forms?

Literally nothing. Also not stoppable: whole swathes of votes from areas heavily projected to lean towards yes getting 'lost' in the mail.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bill Shorten is the steady hand this nation needs.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Milky Moor posted:

Cannot believe how transparently stupid people can be sometimes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

iajanus posted:

Cannot believe how transparently stupid people can be sometimes.

With a boycott you get all the anti gay marraige scare mongering, the vote fails and it makes the Lnp's position look correct.

It's real dumb.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

With a boycott you get all the anti gay marraige scare mongering, the vote fails and it makes the Lnp's position look correct.

It's real dumb.

Correct :suicide:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

help

Labor and Coalition senators have crossed the political divide to call on the Reserve Bank to embrace bitcoins as an official form of currency or risk the future competitiveness of Australia's $145 billion a year financial services industry.

The push from Labor senator Sam Dastyari and Liberal senator Jane Hume comes after the digital currency soared to an all time high of $4070 per bitcoin on Monday, up from less than 10¢ per coin in 2010.

Senator Dastyari said when he first raised bitcoin in the Senate, one of his colleagues came to him and said: 'I don't get what the issue is, don't they just melt all the coin bits they don't use?".

He said the digital currency had now become a serious financial player and Australia risked being left behind if it did not pursue developing its own official currency and blockchain to use on the market.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sam Dastyari making another brilliant decision. Encouraging banks to support untracable currency like a week after one gets called out for ignoring large scale money laundering seems like a winning idea.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Malcolm Tunbull: Postal plebiscite eh?
Sam Dastayari: Hold my beer.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Has Dastayari said buttcoin yet?

E: lol, i just realised that his Chinese donors are probably paying him in butts.

Sparticle fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 8, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh god Mia Freedman is trending on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Sam Dastyari making another brilliant decision. Encouraging banks to support untracable currency like a week after one gets called out for ignoring large scale money laundering seems like a winning idea.

It is traceable.

Monero isn't though

• Locked thread