Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One or all of his sisters, I suspect the arty one but they have closed ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mystery solved. It's actually a sticker and my grandma gave it to the girls "but we didn't like it but grandma would be upset if we didn't use it so we put it in R's room for him instead"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

learnincurve posted:

Mystery solved. It's actually a sticker and my grandma gave it to the girls "but we didn't like it but grandma would be upset if we didn't use it so we put it in R's room for him instead"

ah, yes, the wisdom of legendary inspirational speaker Lion King

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

how many fonts can they possibly put on there

none more than this

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thread wwyd with this massive under-stairs space in my bath-and-sink zone? The very deepest 90cm high space will get a wheely cart for seasonal items like pool floaties. The rest needs to hold towels, pajamas, that high hanger pole, and hopefully another low hanger pole for the kids... ... right now we've just got our stuff from the old house shoved into the space.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
It's screaming for some built ins or a shelf system with drawers.

Tall, cute curtain to cover it all.

Enemu
May 31, 2014
Hello goonfriends, I am moving into a studio apartment for the first time and need some advice. It's decently sized (377 sq ft + kitchen and bath) and I'm paying out the absolute rear end for it in West LA, but it's got hardwood floors and AC and is solid. I whipped up myself a tentative floor plan on one of those fancy on line floor plan things and made it 3D here's the link: https://goo.gl/7poL7U

The specific furniture is whatever placeholder type stuff the program put there, but how's the layout? The little indent near the desk is actually a closet with sliding mirror doors. I'm thinking a bookcase type deal in between the door and that triple window and a short long table/storage type deal at the foot of the bed? The coffee table is also hilariously narrow on the model but gonna get a decidedly regular one.

I haven't been able to find someone with advice for a studio that is a literal box with absolutely no features, so help!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Enemu posted:

I haven't been able to find someone with advice for a studio that is a literal box with absolutely no features, so help!

I think you've done pretty well, assuming the furniture scales properly. One thing I sort of remember from my interior design class (which was a million years ago) is that you need at least 18 inches for movement around furniture. If the space isn't there, it isn't there, but just something to keep in mind.

My bro and his wife have a 1-bedroom in Manhattan, but their situation is kind of similar to yours because my niece has the bedroom and they turned their living room into a combination den/bedroom. They found a large shelving unit to separate the two spaces, which gives them extra storage and defines the area that's their "bedroom" while also offering them privacy. So that's the only thing I could really suggest, honestly: if you have the room for it, get a screen or shelving of some sort to give your sleeping quarters a little more privacy.

Or, you could scrap the bed altogether and just get a sleeper sofa. Pull it our for sleeping, fold it up when friends are over.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I think you've done pretty well, assuming the furniture scales properly. One thing I sort of remember from my interior design class (which was a million years ago) is that you need at least 18 inches for movement around furniture. If the space isn't there, it isn't there, but just something to keep in mind.

My bro and his wife have a 1-bedroom in Manhattan, but their situation is kind of similar to yours because my niece has the bedroom and they turned their living room into a combination den/bedroom. They found a large shelving unit to separate the two spaces, which gives them extra storage and defines the area that's their "bedroom" while also offering them privacy. So that's the only thing I could really suggest, honestly: if you have the room for it, get a screen or shelving of some sort to give your sleeping quarters a little more privacy.

Or, you could scrap the bed altogether and just get a sleeper sofa. Pull it our for sleeping, fold it up when friends are over.

Yeah, the one thing I would suggest is getting something to give you separation between the "bedroom" and "living room". Ikea has the Kallax series stuff that I think makes a great solution since it comes in a lot of sizing, colors and can be configured to be more than just open shelving. It's basic looking enough to match basically anything and is cheap.

Tall one here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30275861/
Half height here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20275885/

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I had a spice drawer and I just flipped the bottles upside down so I could see what they were through the bottom. More space-efficient than tilting them to the side to show the labels.

You mix up cinnamon and garam masala the first week but learn really fast what each one looks like.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Pretty sure the tall one is what my bro has, complete with the storage drawers on the bottom.

Enemu
May 31, 2014
Where could I do that? If I were to place one of those between the bed and living area, I could only access the bed by walking all the way around the couch and going through the foot of the bed. That seems mighty awkward.... or am I overthinking that?

I was thinking about putting one of those Kallax dealios on the wall in between the door and window and storing all my unsightly poo poo in boxes in there and making it all trendy n stuff.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The whole point is to create a "wall" between the two areas like you would have in a 1-bedroom. If there's space on each side of the bed then there shouldn't be any issues.

Enemu
May 31, 2014

Youth Decay posted:

The whole point is to create a "wall" between the two areas like you would have in a 1-bedroom. If there's space on each side of the bed then there shouldn't be any issues.

https://goo.gl/4B9RWF is another option just from moving poo poo around. This has the advantage of having my bed right next to the big double mirror door closet, which would be nice. Only concern there being throwing my dual monitor PC in my big window to the outside world (the other one is looking directly at a wall, pretty much only serves to house the AC unit), and putting it on the wall in between window and TV is gonna get some gnarly glare, most likely. Thoughts?

Also ignore what the furniture actually is since finding a modeling program with anything resembling real life stuff is tough and this one works p well!

Enemu fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 8, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Pretty sure the tall one is what my bro has, complete with the storage drawers on the bottom.

Given the limited space, I'd probably go with something like a shoji screen instead. Easy visual division of the room and privacy if you want, but can be folded up and moved out of the way if you need to open the space up to move furniture or just make changing the sheets easier.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Extending twisty poles are easily adjustable.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Enemu posted:

one of those 3 or 4 panel folding room dividers (at least a tasteful one) might create a bit more separation between bed and living areas, even if providing no actual meaningful privacy

like at least if someone walks in unannounced you have a place to throw some clothes on without having line of sight to your taint from the front door

Enemu
May 31, 2014

SoundMonkey posted:

like at least if someone walks in unannounced

Is this a thing that happens? This is my first year not living in my frat house so uh, idk

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Enemu posted:

Is this a thing that happens? This is my first year not living in my frat house so uh, idk

it should never be a thing, no, but bad landlords exist and unexpected situations exist too so it's good to solve it before it's a problem.

also this might just be me but even symbolic isolation of the sleeping area makes me sleep better. it was weird in my bachelor place in college because the layout didn't really allow for that and i felt like i was sleeping in the kitchen (which was like 10 feet from the bed)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I spent s couple of years in a studio apartment with hardly any separation and I never realised how much it effected me till I moved out. Never again. Being able to shut the door physically and mentally on the kitchen / work / whatever is huge.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

TTerrible posted:

I spent s couple of years in a studio apartment with hardly any separation and I never realised how much it effected me till I moved out. Never again. Being able to shut the door physically and mentally on the kitchen / work / whatever is huge.

ok so it's not just me being a weirdo

or you're a weirdo too

the bed was also under the window (only place it made sense, other wall had a non-functional wall bed that was pretty fally-downy), which was ground floor and right next to the walkway from the front door to the parking lot, so it was like as little separation from the world as you can have without actually sleeping outside

Enemu
May 31, 2014
So I take it the better option is #2 with a more divided bed? I realize now sleeping by the window is probably.... questionable if I have a guest for the night.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Depends what's outside your window and how good it is? If you have curtains I'm not sure why it would be a problem.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You probably do more sleeping than sexing? Natural sunlight is important to maintain a good sleep cycle. Ignore if you work a rotation shift.

Comments:
+ more counter/table space w/ trashcans under
+ just eat at the coffee table
+ divider w/clothes
+ enough space to pull out under-bed storage
+ good morning sunshine
+ divider w/more storage for clothes, shoes, books etc.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think you are going to suffer without an eating area, if you get a bar stool and have that counter/table open then you can use it as a breakfast bar. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Linon-Tavern...s=Breakfast+bar

I have spent quite a lot of time on amazon.com since this thread's creation finding out if things exist in America.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

ok so it's not just me being a weirdo

or you're a weirdo too

the bed was also under the window (only place it made sense, other wall had a non-functional wall bed that was pretty fally-downy), which was ground floor and right next to the walkway from the front door to the parking lot, so it was like as little separation from the world as you can have without actually sleeping outside

Get into bed.

I can still see:
The sofa I was sat on this evening.
The desk I was working at during the day.
The work I have to deal with tomorrow.

I can still smell:
Anything I have cooked.

Having seperate rooms to do things in was like having a splinter removed that I didn't know I had. I don't think we're weird. When I was having a righteous bout of insomnia a while back the advice I was given by my GP was to remove all phones/tvs/tablets/laptops/books from my bedroom and spend as little time in there as possible apart from when I wanted to sleep. It worked.

That bed position sounds like an absolute nightmare oh my god.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

learnincurve posted:

I think you are going to suffer without an eating area, if you get a bar stool and have that counter/table open then you can use it as a breakfast bar. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Linon-Tavern...s=Breakfast+bar

I have spent quite a lot of time on amazon.com since this thread's creation finding out if things exist in America.

I got one of these guys for our downstairs den and it's actually pretty nice. Folded in half and set low it's a good coffee table, but raise the height and flip the top open and you can seat four people easily. It'd be perfect for a small combo living/eating area.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I think you are going to suffer without an eating area

Wait, there are people who don't eat every meal in a dark room on a tray on their knees like some sort of fussy goblin?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaded Burnout posted:

Wait, there are people who don't eat every meal in a dark room on a tray on their knees like some sort of fussy goblin?

'Tis true, there are also people who own dining tables and who then end up eating on a tray anyway,

I have (sort of) good news, or at least news that a big corporation was made to make amends.

Argos, basically the origional amazon in the U.K, royally messed up last month. The tl:dr is that I got a big wad of compensation in cash and discount code form. I've just ordered a new book case, curtains, sofa and all the furniture needed to convert my bedroom into a kick arse bedroom/sewing room for £fuckall (I'd put a grinning or smug face here but on reflection I would rather this had never happened.)

Window wall is going to be 2x 120cm x 75cm dining tables running along it with a 180cm* heavy duty folding table at right angles for measuring. You want the two tables because if you have a long arm machine one long table can start to bounce. There is also a wardrobe with draws going on another wall and I'll put in shelves so it becomes a sewing cabinet.

*I legit put 6ft there before remembering normal countries don't mix and match from different mesuring systems.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

so like, they accidentally sent you a terrorism?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A computer error meant they charged my credit card over and over again, until my bank account went "!!!" and locked me out. Took five days to get my money back and regain access to my own money :(

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

peanut posted:

You probably do more sleeping than sexing? Natural sunlight is important to maintain a good sleep cycle. Ignore if you work a rotation shift.

Comments:
+ divider w/clothes
+ good morning sunshine

This is a nice layout, gives the area some structure with that "entryway" area. I'd try messing with this to see if you could pull it off while still having room for a small dining table because I think you'd end up hating it if you didn't have one.

peanut posted:

Extending twisty poles are easily adjustable.

How are things like this labeled/what are they called? I'm trying to design a room divider for our bedroom at the new house and I just keep finding adjustable table legs when I want adjustable plates to sandwich between the divider and the ceiling.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There are tables that take up a tiny amount of space.

There when you want it, but when it's all folded away like that it takes up hardly any room at all. There are lots of variations on this basic design, I like that this one gives you a couple drawers.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WYUSCS

You can also get wall mounted tables that fold down to take up no space at all. I think the folding would get annoying though, and you'd end up just leaving it up in which case you might as well have a normal table, or leaving it down and never using it at all.
https://www.amazon.com/Large-Mount-Folding-Table-Inches/dp/B01637GJ6M

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

peanut posted:

Comments:
+ divider w/clothes
+ good morning sunshine

I'd make that divider between the bed and door significantly smaller, like just a few feet wide (unless you desperately need storage). You'll still get the "isolated" feeling, but without it blocking so much in the room. There's just a wall behind it anyway, it's not like removing most of it will expose something else. Leaving it long will make it feel like you're walking through an alley when you enter the room.

Eating at a coffee table is fine, I did it for years. I had some of those round meditation cushions (zafu) to sit on. I could also slide them underneath the couch when they weren't in use. Just pretend you're Japanese.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 8, 2017

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
You could also get a lift-top coffee table that elevates the coffee table top to regular table height. It's not going to work well for entertaining, but for working on your laptop or eating in front of the TV, it works just fine.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ouhei posted:

How are things like this labeled/what are they called?

I finally found some matches with "telescopic tension pole" ... now it's up to you to find the vertical ones with lil feet so they don't bust a hole in the ceiling.

You can get lots of ideas gising "突っ張り 間仕切り" (extending) (room divider)

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 9, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Time for another sad remodel!

This house was built in 1930, listed as a perfectly nice 2 bedroom 2000sf bungalow for $565k in May 2016 (sold for $579k), was shat upon and resold in July of 2017 as a 4 bedroom 3760sf monstrosity for nearly $1.5 million gently caress you Denver

BEFORE

look at how cute this kitchen was :(

AFTER

these stupid skinny wooden columns uggggghhh

there's 2 more bedrooms and a bunch of fuckin bathrooms but who cares

Won't be long before all of Denver, Portland and Seattle will be filled with these things so even the upper-middle-class yuppies can't afford to live there.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 9, 2017

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Architectural heresy

A garage door opening into the living room? :wtc:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

A garage door opening into the living room? :wtc:

Shut up it's trendy

This is one of those houses where you know everything is going to look extremely dated in less than 10 years. The "before" house interior still looks fresh and modern but these quasi-industrial finishes will be the wood paneling of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003