Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Potato Salad posted:

America is Great @DNC 2016 - We've tried so hard // and got so far

https://twitter.com/harharstrips/status/884514524338016256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Please stop.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Libertarians love The Incredibles, because individualism, etc.

Oh for fucks sake. The main villain of the goddamn movie lives on an isolated island nation outside the jurisdiction of any government where he hoards all of the technology he has created for himself because he wants to use it to live out his personal fantasies, and will then sell them at ludicrous prices to the rest of us after he is done with it. Again, for the people who are having a hard time, that is the villain.

It is not a loving objectivist movie. And neither is Ratatouille for that matter - the villain made it his personal mission in life to destroy Gusteau because he, a critic, could not stand or accept the idea that anyone can cook, that anyone can make something great.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What if libertarians love The Incredibles for the same reason anyone else might, and not because it speaks to their lovely political philosophy? It's a good movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's an all right movie...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If I remember right it had a deliberately ambiguous ending between using superpowers to always win at everything and balancing with the needs of society, so I guess people can interpret it either way if they want.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Oh for fucks sake. The main villain of the goddamn movie lives on an isolated island nation outside the jurisdiction of any government where he hoards all of the technology he has created for himself because he wants to use it to live out his personal fantasies, and will then sell them at ludicrous prices to the rest of us after he is done with it. Again, for the people who are having a hard time, that is the villain.

It is not a loving objectivist movie. And neither is Ratatouille for that matter - the villain made it his personal mission in life to destroy Gusteau because he, a critic, could not stand or accept the idea that anyone can cook, that anyone can make something great.

I didn't say they interpreted it correctly. However, as a former Objectivist, I remember reading many glowing reviews about the movie and the inherent individualism, etc. You also have to remember that Objectivists aren't really critical thinkers in most cases (which is why so many of them are turning into the alt right these days).

Wikipedia backs me up here:

Wikipedia posted:

Some commentators took Bob's frustration with celebrating mediocrity and Syndrome's comment that "when everyone is super, nobody will be" as a reflection of views shared by German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche or an extension of Russian-American novelist Ayn Rand's Objectivism philosophy, which Bird felt was "ridiculous."[5][12] He stated that a large portion of the audience understood the satire whereas "two percent thought I was doing The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged." Some purported that The Incredibles exhibited a right-wing bias, which Bird also scoffed at. "I think that's as silly of an analysis as saying The Iron Giant was left-wing. I'm definitely a centrist and feel like both parties can be absurd."[5]

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Also, I'm not sure what Tinsley is talking about this time as, unless I missed some piece of news, Incredibles 2 is actually set to be released next year. At least some of the voice work has already been done and everything. And this is actually the first time they promised a new Incredibles movie; they used to say things like "oh, yeah, we might do that someday if we ever have a good idea for it", which is how movie people say "no".

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Keep posting the bad haha stripsa

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
OK.

E: Dammit, attached the preview image that cut off the text.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dr Cheeto posted:

What if libertarians love The Incredibles for the same reason anyone else might, and not because it speaks to their lovely political philosophy? It's a good movie.

If they were able to have normal, human feelings like that, they wouldn't be libertarians.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Maybe I'm the libertarian...gently caress

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Cheen posted:

Keep posting the bad haha stripsa

https://twitter.com/harharstrips/status/894627610499719169

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Man, who gives a gently caress.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Science Man has led a long, hard life. He's done some pretty bad things, and he knows it. He didn't regret them in the moment, but he feels a gnawing guilt in the back of his spine whenever he reflects on all the people he's stepped on to get where he is. He's always been able to justify it by reassuring himself that he's not that bad in the scheme of things; there's got to be many, many others who are worse than he is. But he had to be sure.

So he built this crime computer, to analyze exactly how much of the world's sorrow and misfortune was his own personal fault. Bless its heart, it's too naive to put his name to its findings. But it knows. It knows how much of the wrong in the world can be traced to one man. One lab-coated, bespectacled man. It's already told him all he needs to know.

Science Man knows what he must do. But in his hubris he has neglected to bring with him a convenient implement to carry out the deed easily. All he has on him is this simple claw hammer. It'll have to do. He stares. It's all he can see. It appears almost to pulse with meaning, power, and fate. He knows what needs to be done. It's an easy fix.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
How about not being married against your will or killed if you refuse?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Avirosb posted:

How about not being married against your will or killed if you refuse?

I don't think you understand the Klu-Klux-Klurf

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dr Cheeto posted:

Maybe I'm the libertarian...gently caress

But when everyone is libertarian.... no one will be

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I didn't say they interpreted it correctly. However, as a former Objectivist, I remember reading many glowing reviews about the movie and the inherent individualism, etc. You also have to remember that Objectivists aren't really critical thinkers in most cases (which is why so many of them are turning into the alt right these days).

Wikipedia backs me up here:

Ugh Southpark "both sides are bad" cowardly nonsense.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Kinda surprised to see Tinsley draw an actual strip that's also not hateful. I wonder if that's a 'moment of clarity' that I heard about in Pulp Fiction.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Starshark posted:

Kinda surprised to see Tinsley draw an actual strip that's also not hateful. I wonder if that's a 'moment of clarity' that I heard about in Pulp Fiction.

Maybe he really did get a dog and it mellowed him out a little

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

No but what is even happening. I am unironically agreeing with drunky duck.

I would say it's a stopped clock, but I think if that were true there'd be more than one good comic in all these years following him

Also:

Famously ignored: Pennsylvania. Hillary never went there. It's not like it was the third most visited state after Florida and North Carolina.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cpt.Americant posted:

Famously ignored: Pennsylvania. Hillary never went there. It's not like it was the third most visited state after Florida and North Carolina.

Rogers is from Pittsburgh and quite nationalist about it; this is probably the easiest justification for him

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I appreciate what you did here, but there's no fixing the shithead who drew this.

Just asking real quick: there's no legal precedent for locking the Klurfsman in a cage full of rabid rats, is there?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Guys, this person isn't Klurf-related.

They're Shadow Stephanie McMillan

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Guys racism and sexism don't even exist anymore, let me prove it by drawing a bunch of black people and women who agree.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Going to start photoshopping these into something worthwhile, if I have time.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Guys, this person isn't Klurf-related.

They're Shadow Stephanie McMillan

So maybe if we get them both together then beat the poo poo out of the sillyfunny comics rear end in a top hat he'll disappear and McMillan will realize she's got poo poo opinions?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Tom "I lust for war" Stiglich posted:

North Korea seems intent on picking a fight with the U.S.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Looks like someone hasn't read National Review's "The Best Conservative Movies":

quote:

2. The Incredibles (2004): This animated film skips pop-culture references and gross jokes in favor of a story that celebrates marriage, courage, responsibility, and high achievement. A family of superheroes — Mr. Incredible, his wife Elastigirl, and their children — are living an anonymous life in the suburbs, thanks to a society that doesn’t appreciate their unique talents. Then it comes to need them. In one scene, son Dash, a super-speedy runner, wants to try out for track. Mom claims it wouldn’t be fair. “Dad says our powers make us special!” Dash objects. “Everyone is special,” Mom demurs, to which Dash mutters, “Which means nobody is.” – Frederica Mathewes-Greene writes for Beliefnet.com.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Shangri-Law School posted:

Looks like someone hasn't read National Review's "The Best Conservative Movies":

Wonder what they think about Frozone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:psyduck: Conservatives really have some weird opinions on movies.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

:psyduck: Conservatives really have some weird opinions on movies.

You think that's hilarious, be sure to check out their list of conservative rock songs.

quote:

25. “The Battle of Evermore,” by Led Zeppelin. The lyrics are straight out of Robert Plant’s Middle Earth period — there are lines about “ring wraiths” and “magic runes” — but for a song released in 1971, it’s hard to miss the Cold War metaphor: “The tyrant’s face is red.”

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Apparently Donald is a big fan of The Lives of Others.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na Juche!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It should be illegal to have a cute art style while also being a terrible human being

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Selachian posted:

You think that's hilarious, be sure to check out their list of conservative rock songs.

Yeah, I've seen that one before, it's basically a list of songs that have a line or two that could be considered conservative taken completely out of context of the song itself, as well as any connotations that would be implied by the leanings of the band themselves. Also a complete lack of self-reflection that many of those songs could easily be about the folly of conservatives without having to perform mental gymnastics.

• Locked thread