Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Guys, I don't think the gold made its way to KL. Hence the title of the scene "Loot Train...". Also, as it's been noted the Iron Bank rep said "once the payment is made" or whatever.

They got got

That battle owned so much and I'm disappointed in myself for having watched the trailer. One can only wonder what the true shock felt like to hear Drogon's roar and see Jaime's momentary look of pure horror. I blame HBO for making me hold out for so long.

Edit: Jaime should've died in that scene. It would've been an honorable death to see him get roasted and blow away in the wind as ashes right in front of Dany. The shot of him riding past the wreckage was unbelievable. Could totally see a statue of him in KL (should they survive) riding his horse with his spear pointed out front.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

John Brown posted:

Guys, I don't think the gold made its way to KL. Hence the title of the scene "Loot Train...". Also, as it's been noted the Iron Bank rep said "once the payment is made" or whatever.

They got got

That battle owned so much and I'm disappointed in myself for having watched the trailer. One can only wonder what the true shock felt like to hear Drogon's roar and see Jaime's momentary look of pure horror. I blame HBO for making me hold out for so long.

Edit: Jaime should've died in that scene. T would've been an honorable death to see him get roasted and blow away in the wind as ashes right in front of Dany. The shot of him riding past the wreckage was unbelievable. Could totally see a status of him in KL (should they survive) riding his horse with his spear pointed out front.

Except they said clearly the gold did make it. The rest of the loot was food and other supplies.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

John Brown posted:

Guys, I don't think the gold made its way to KL

Holy poo poo dude. What does Tarly say at 20 seconds into this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQtGZYEvFhA

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Look it is a strong tradition to post without paying any attention to any part of the episode except the 20 seconds you are making a wild theory about.

I can't believe Arya killed Brienne I am still crying.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I swear half of the posts that don't comprehend simple things that were explained are just to make me mad.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Dany burned the food because she dumb.

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

Perestroika posted:

I'm bad at video editing, but here's an attempt:

http://i.imgur.com/6Y2piYU.mp4

Thanks!

Just for anyone wondering, puberty wasn't that bad and I was named after a couple uncles I liked who went by Dick.

The vice president of the United States was named Dick for gods sake.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Paperback Writer posted:

I swear half of the posts that don't comprehend simple things that were explained are just to make me mad.

This "debate" will continue into next week, when we'll see Lannister soldiers loading gold into Iron Bank ships.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

We have group watches where no one looks at their phones and 3 of the 5 people didn't catch that the gold got through

It was weird to relegate it to one line when the last two episodes have been harping about THE GOLD THE GOLD and you've even got the Iron Bank guy being all, "can't wait to be allies when the gold gets here" to such an extreme degree that he may as well winked at the audience....only to just have the gold arrive without any problems, offscreen. Not to mention the endless shots of Dany burning up an entire caravan.

The visual language and dialogue forshadowing were completely upended by one line staged in a really benign way, it was a weird call for info like that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
imo jon painted those cave drawings himself

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well the banker scene was really just to forshadow the golden company and not the boring payment. Euron gonna steal that gold anyway and buy a statue of him giving Jamie's sister the old Pyke the size of the Bravos statue.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Walrus posted:

Like one of the white walkers looks exactly like the one he kills at Hardhome. Sexy cave walk is the only move the Snowman has.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like one of the white walkers looks exactly like the one he kills at Hardhome. Sexy cave walk is the only move the Snowman has.

'check it out Dany, we just came across these pictographs that prove word for word that Jon Snow was right! Nevermind that it looks like the paint is still wet. Please also ignore the 'by jon snow age egitene' in the corner not sure how that got there'

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Walrus posted:

Nah, he's too stupid.

Davos did it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That was a great loving episode. I can't imagine Jaime dies right there. I'm sure he'll get saved somehow. Bronn owns, especially when he laughed at Dickon. And Bran is a real dick these days.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

Nah, he's too stupid.

Davos did it.

ya definitely he's probably used to pictograms from his pre-shireen days

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That was a great loving episode. I can't imagine Jaime dies right there. I'm sure he'll get saved somehow. Bronn owns, especially when he laughed at Dickon. And Bran is a real dick these days.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's loving great.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Great episode overall. It was mostly fan-service but I won't pretend I don't like to be pandered to.

Only real complaints are the cave drawings (seriously that scene was extremely dumb) and the absurd amount of plot armor that Jaime and Bronn have now. Multiple times Jaime just sat on his horse looking dumbly at the dragons, and Bronn spent 5 full minutes standing out in the open firing a giant ballista, all while hordes of blood-thirsty dothraki swarmed them.

But it was worth it to see Arya show off and finally see some dragon action.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 8, 2017

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Holy poo poo dude. What does Tarly say at 20 seconds into this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQtGZYEvFhA

:bang:

...I'll go back to not posting

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PantsBandit posted:

Great episode overall. It was mostly fan-service but I won't pretend I don't like to be pandered to.

Only real complaints are the cave drawings (seriously that scene was extremely dumb) and the absurd amount of plot armor that Jaime and Bronn have now. Multiple times Jaime just sat on his horse looking dumbly at the dragons, and Bronn spent 5 full minutes standing out in the open firing a giant ballista, all while hordes of blood-thirsty dothraki swarmed them.

But it was worth it to see Arya show off and finally see some dragon action.

I didn't like seeing Arya fight like that. Mostly because her past few seasons haven't really paid off into it. We've seen her practice sword moves alone, barely beat some people alongside the monster fighter that is the Hound, and do non-combat faceless training. Apparently off-screen she became a ninja. I really wish they handled all that differently. This scene felt like payoff to a plot that didn't happen. Also having Maisie Williams do that sword twirl over and over looked dumb.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Well, IF they intended to kill Jaime, it would have been in a huge ball of fire for maximum impact.

That being said, I'd laugh my rear end of if we never see or hear from him again because well, he loving drowned.

My money is on Euron in his kraken form snatching him from the depths of Shitcreek Abyss River.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I didn't like seeing Arya fight like that. Mostly because her past few seasons haven't really paid off into it. We've seen her practice sword moves alone, barely beat some people alongside the monster fighter that is the Hound, and do non-combat faceless training. Apparently off-screen she became a ninja. I really wish they handled all that differently. This scene felt like payoff to a plot that didn't happen. Also having Maisie Williams do that sword twirl over and over looked dumb.

Agreed, and also it was dumb as heck watching maisie williams deflect a sword that weighs probably 2/3ds of her body weight with a rapier, I don't care how adept water dancers are at redirecting force.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

mcbexx posted:

Well, IF they intended to kill Jaime, it would have been in a huge ball of fire for maximum impact.

That being said, I'd laugh my rear end of if we never see or hear from him again because well, he loving drowned.

My money is on Euron in his kraken form snatching him from the depths of Shitcreek Abyss River.

If he can get undead kraken super powers and fight Euron for Cerci that would own and make the dumb Euron arch worthwhile.

Euron: Gonna be bangin your sister tonight you jelly?

Jamie: Like hell you are, grows back hand, it is on like donkey kong.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Brienne wasn't trying to hurt her, even when she was taking it seriously. The difference between the two of them was that Arya could put her all into it, but Brienne had to hold back or she would've risked seriously hurting Arya. Arya's many fights with the Waif taught her how to avoid getting hit, and the Waif was significantly faster than Brienne.

It wasn't a "real" fight since Brienne couldn't go all in and Arya took full advantage of that.

Like even when Brienne caught her with the kick to the chest, you could see she had the look on her face of "oh poo poo, did I just break my ward's ribs?"

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 8, 2017

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Also, Arya bringing real weapons into a practice fight. Especially that dagger.

The dialogue established she respects Brienne and she doesn't seem to have a problem with Sansa such that she'd want to remove Sansa's protection, but using real weapons suggests (especially valyrian steel) she either wants to kill Brienne or doesn't give a gently caress if she does. That's also something Brienne should've at least called out.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PantsBandit posted:

Multiple times Jaime just sat on his horse looking dumbly at the dragons, and Bronn spent 5 full minutes standing out in the open firing a giant ballista, all while hordes of blood-thirsty dothraki swarmed them.
The Dothraki were confused by Jaime being on a horse, believing horses were there thing. As for Bronn, he was standing on top of one of Drogon's preferred targets, so maybe they just steered clear.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

To be fair, Arya's advantage in that fight was Brienne severely underestimating Arya's skill level, and not really taking advantage of her size and momentum. She could have easily ended the fight right after the kick, if it had been for real, and it seemed to me that like half of Arya's attacks wouldn't do more than scratch her armor even if Arya had gone all out. She got in like maybe one attack that would actually kill Brienne AND not have her run headlong into the pointy end of her sword at the same time.

The Walrus posted:

Agreed, and also it was dumb as heck watching maisie williams deflect a sword that weighs probably 2/3ds of her body weight with a rapier, I don't care how adept water dancers are at redirecting force.
Yeah, the physics of that kinda did take me slightly out of the scene, though it's probably easier to deflect blows when your opponent is trying to not actually hit you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, the physics of that kinda did take me slightly out of the scene, though it's probably easier to deflect blows when your opponent is trying to not actually hit you.

Right, that was my thought as well. There's no way Brienne was putting her full weight behind those swings because if she were and she'd connected with one she'd probably break some bones.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PantsBandit posted:

Right, that was my thought as well. There's no way Brienne was putting her full weight behind those swings because if she were and she'd connected with one she'd probably break some bones.

Even so, arya was fighting *one handed*. it just looked silly. But I enjoyed this episode even though it was full of the reasons I haven't much liked the last few, so I guess I should just shut up and enjoy the dragoncineration

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Multiple times Jaime just sat on his horse looking dumbly at the dragons

On about my 10th watch-through i couldnt help but notice the SFX showcase. His rear end tells everyone to take cover while he sits there to witness 20 guys get blasted to ash.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

I´ve got a feeling Drogon is going to die of an infected wound like his namesake.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ESDK posted:

I´ve got a feeling Drogon is going to die of an infected wound like his namesake.

This would make sense, with the other parallels being drawn - except that a lot of characters have managed to learn from the past.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I hope we get a scene where Pod fights a regular foot-soldier and realizes how incredibly easy it is when all his other sparring matches have been against a virtual super-human.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
That was a cool episode, the shot from the side with the dragon burning the caravan was loving awesome. The sound was awesome, like artillery shells dropping.

I loved it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Walrus posted:

Even though they're fairly big, longswords are very lightweight. Most of them weigh only like 1-1.5 kilograms, with the centre of mass close to the hilt. And a smallsword like Arya's, while being quite a bit lighter at ~0.5-0.75 kg, is still a very stiff bit of actual steel. They made a point of showing her deflecting Brienne's attacks sideways, perpendicular to the direction of the swings, rather than trying to block them head-on. That's actually reasonably doable and doesn't take all that much force.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, she was parrying the blows sideways with the strong of her blade. That looked totally fine.

And ironically, Gwendolin Christie swinging a sword like it's a baseball bat goes without comment. Although to be fair, nearly everyone else on the show does too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rewatched the episode, it was still good

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Brienne was using a practice sword, which are much heavier than real ones by design

Who knowns if the showrunners thought of that

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The showrunners should think of everything.

By Thursday I better see a breakdown of the combustibility of grain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kiimo posted:

By Thursday I better see a breakdown of the combustibility of grain.

Grain silo explosions are a thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_explosion

• Locked thread