Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FISHMANPET posted:

I've had my metal Amazon card for a couple months and literally nobody has said anything about it.

I don't have a metal card, but I have noticed that I don't really hand my card over as much when shopping anymore. Most places I go you scan it yourself at the keypad thing. I do get a lot of comments about my Chase Disney Visa with Lightning McQueen on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

We met minimum spend on both Chase 60k cards yesterday and the CIP 100k last month.

Not sure how or what I want to do next. We have 150k Chase UR points and will have 124k Southwest points and a companion pass next month. I guess I'll go back to Double Cash and Costco cards for the time being because I'm a little tired of keeping track of all of this stuff.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Amazon/Chase had already sent me a new card a couple of weeks ago, but it was just a normal card because I dropped prime for a minute because I was watching other stuff on streaming. I re-upped to prime last week and got another card in the mail today. It certainly isn't metal, but looks cool and is thicker/stiffer than my other cards. You guys didn't get actual metal cards did you?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Michael Corleone posted:

Amazon/Chase had already sent me a new card a couple of weeks ago, but it was just a normal card because I dropped prime for a minute because I was watching other stuff on streaming. I re-upped to prime last week and got another card in the mail today. It certainly isn't metal, but looks cool and is thicker/stiffer than my other cards. You guys didn't get actual metal cards did you?

Mine's metal - plastic layers on either side with a metal piece in the middle.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Dick Nipples posted:

Mine's metal - plastic layers on either side with a metal piece in the middle.

Mine too. It kinda drives me nuts because it messes with my transit pass when I try to tap my wallet.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

No Butt Stuff posted:

We met minimum spend on both Chase 60k cards yesterday and the CIP 100k last month.

Not sure how or what I want to do next. We have 150k Chase UR points and will have 124k Southwest points and a companion pass next month. I guess I'll go back to Double Cash and Costco cards for the time being because I'm a little tired of keeping track of all of this stuff.

Airfare for two to Vegas and 5 nights at The Cosmopolitan in a wrap around terrace suite with a view of the Bellagio's fountains.

You're welcome.

Eat at Joel Rubuchon's while you're there.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mourne posted:

Airfare for two to Vegas and 5 nights at The Cosmopolitan in a wrap around terrace suite with a view of the Bellagio's fountains.

You're welcome.

Eat at Joel Rubuchon's while you're there.

That looks fun. Now to find additional childcare.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Wow, this topic rules. My questions were answered before I could post. Capital One Quicksilver sent me a $200 signup bonus offer which looks to be higher than standard and the card itself looks like it fits my use better than other options. Looks like I'll finally have credit again,

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Quicksilver is nice for a decent bonus and no foreign transaction fee if you're going to be going over seas.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

No Butt Stuff posted:

That looks fun. Now to find additional childcare.

Surely there's some sort of boarding facility you can use? Can you kennel them for the week?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Quicksilver is nice for a decent bonus and no foreign transaction fee if you're going to be going over seas.

Is there a site that sorts credit cards by signup bonus?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Just got approved for a chase sapphire reserve. Will report back when it arrives on the packet and try to remember a six-month update for "hey, can it be worth the money?"

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

JohnCompany posted:

Just got approved for a chase sapphire reserve. Will report back when it arrives on the packet and try to remember a six-month update for "hey, can it be worth the money?"

It's definitely worth the money if you eat out a lot and/or travel. 7 months into mine I have made 40k points from which is equivalent to $840 according to TPG, or $600 on the travel portal. I use the Priority Pass airport lounge access quite a bit which in on itself has probably saved me maybe a hundred or two bucks in airport food and drinks.

Now I started to combine it with a Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited from which you can transfer points into the CSR. I expect to be making around $2,000 in points a year, not bad for the $150 annual fee ($450 - $300 in travel credit which I blow through in two months with Uber)

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

JohnCompany posted:

This is no longer true.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 4, 2017

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

You can also use it to pay rent/mortgage through plastiq which gets categorized as travel for some reason.

Paying mortgage via Plastiq with a Visa looks dead based on some postings back in June on the credit blogs. Did this change?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The Electronaut posted:

Paying mortgage via Plastiq with a Visa looks dead based on some postings back in June on the credit blogs. Did this change?

Oh, I didn't know. I just moved so the last two months I've paid directly because of upfront costs and such.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Animal posted:

It's definitely worth the money if you eat out a lot and/or travel. 7 months into mine I have made 40k points from which is equivalent to $840 according to TPG, or $600 on the travel portal. I use the Priority Pass airport lounge access quite a bit which in on itself has probably saved me maybe a hundred or two bucks in airport food and drinks.

My thoughts exactly. I live in NYC and eat out both for work and pleasure 2 or 3 times weekly (more in summer, early fall) and I'm dating an Australian, so travel...

Plus it's shiny and metal and black, and I'm basically a sentient racoon, if I'm honest.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

JohnCompany posted:

My thoughts exactly. I live in NYC and eat out both for work and pleasure 2 or 3 times weekly (more in summer, early fall) and I'm dating an Australian, so travel...

Plus it's shiny and metal and black, and I'm basically a sentient racoon, if I'm honest.

:sissies: nyc buddy. I'm in Clinton Hill. Best credit card for NYC. And JFK is perfect to redeem all the different travel possibilities.

Animal fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 4, 2017

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

I have been having a good time with cashback cards. Citi Doublecash for everyday purchases (2% back), Chase Freedom (5% back) on whatever reward rotation they have (atm restaurants and movies), and USAA's Cashback Rewards Plus American Express Card for Gas and Grocery (5% and 2%) respectively. Keep the utilization amount to 20-25% each month. Added benefit of having three types of cards (Visa, Mastercard, and AMEX)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

clam the gently caress down posted:

I have been having a good time with cashback cards. Citi Doublecash for everyday purchases (2% back), Chase Freedom (5% back) on whatever reward rotation they have (atm restaurants and movies), and USAA's Cashback Rewards Plus American Express Card for Gas and Grocery (5% and 2%) respectively. Keep the utilization amount to 20-25% each month. Added benefit of having three types of cards (Visa, Mastercard, and AMEX)

Yeah, you can improve on that by gaming bonuses and such, but you're pretty much there.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Animal posted:

Now I started to combine it with a Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited from which you can transfer points into the CSR. I expect to be making around $2,000 in points a year, not bad for the $150 annual fee ($450 - $300 in travel credit which I blow through in two months with Uber)

I put $5,000 of a car on the Chase Freedom Unlimited and transferred the points. Oh yeah.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have the Costco card, and purchase passes for local busses and subways. It doesn't appear that these are falling under the 'travel' section of the Costco card. Is there a list of what counts somewhere? It's potentially $12/mo in rewards, so not insignificant

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

I put $5,000 of a car on the Chase Freedom Unlimited and transferred the points. Oh yeah.

I wanted to put 20k down on my AmEx Platinum for my down payment but the dealership said no :sad:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

It's crazy how much credit utilisation can effect credit score. I usually sit around 6-8% toward the end of the month, but I had some large expenses this month and it's at 10%. Acording to nerdwallet my score dropped 18 points, with everything else being the same.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Dick Nipples posted:

I wanted to put 20k down on my AmEx Platinum for my down payment but the dealership said no :sad:

We did the same thing a few years ago when we bought our last car and the dealer would only let us put up to $10k on our AMEX.

So we put $10k on our AMEX.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

WarMECH posted:

We did the same thing a few years ago when we bought our last car and the dealer would only let us put up to $10k on our AMEX.

Ya - we tried that but they were like "no - owner doesn't like to pay credit card processing fees on things like this."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The Slack Lagoon posted:

It's crazy how much credit utilisation can effect credit score. I usually sit around 6-8% toward the end of the month, but I had some large expenses this month and it's at 10%. Acording to nerdwallet my score dropped 18 points, with everything else being the same.

It absolutely does. My old card, I'd regularly be breaking 25% since the limit was pretty low, and I'd get spikes and drops in my credit score. It's like "don't y'all get it, I run it up to 25-30% every month and then pay it off since it's my only card"? New card limit is literally twice as high, so hopefully it won't be an issue any more.

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.
I'm gonna be moving in a couple months and am thinking it might not be a bad idea to get a 0% APR for X months card to float associated moving expenses on.
At present I have an Amazon Prime Visa, a Discover It card that I hardly ever use, and a local credit union starter card that I almost never use. My credit score's like somewhere around 750. Overall I'm in federal student loan debt (not graduated yet) and have about $3k left on a car loan.
1. I seen the Blue Cash Preferred card recommended in the OP. If I'm kinda nervous about getting a card with an annual fee (whether it pays for itself or not), is the Blue Cash Everyday card pretty good?
2. Any caveats to doing what I'm thinking of doing?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

Ya - we tried that but they were like "no - owner doesn't like to pay credit card processing fees on things like this."
Just negotiate or walk, like all things with car purchases.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I wanted to put the whole car on the card but I had already spent weeks getting the price of my used car down to the point the salesman was not making anything. I should have went for 10k though.

Anyway Chase Freedom Unlimited is offering $100 if you get a sucker err "friend" to sign up. They get some lame bonus also but who cares about that.

My wife is also making me pay my cable bill and cell phone bill in exactly $100 increments 3 times each with every AMEX card for some bonus.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

WarMECH posted:

Heh I had a customer try to pay $130k for a car with an Amex. She didn't like it when I said no. Funny thing is she owns a chain of car dealerships. I wonder how she would feel about one of her salespeople letting that through.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

jack_squat posted:

I'm gonna be moving in a couple months and am thinking it might not be a bad idea to get a 0% APR for X months card to float associated moving expenses on.
At present I have an Amazon Prime Visa, a Discover It card that I hardly ever use, and a local credit union starter card that I almost never use. My credit score's like somewhere around 750. Overall I'm in federal student loan debt (not graduated yet) and have about $3k left on a car loan.
1. I seen the Blue Cash Preferred card recommended in the OP. If I'm kinda nervous about getting a card with an annual fee (whether it pays for itself or not), is the Blue Cash Everyday card pretty good?
2. Any caveats to doing what I'm thinking of doing?

I really recommend not using 0% app cards this way, you can but it's very easy to have something unexpected come up that keeps you from paying it off and ends with you stuck in credit card debt.

Some credit cards will retroactively charge you based on the original balance for the entire interest free period if you don't pay it off in full before it ends, this is mostly found in store cards though.

The blue cash everyday is fine, just not particularly useful for most people since its only advantage over 2% everywhere cards is 3% at grocery stores. Nerdwallet keeps an updated list of what they consider the be the best 0% cards you should take a look at though.

THF13 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 10, 2017

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

THF13 posted:

I really really recommend not floating expenses on a 0% card

I really recommend not using 0% app cards this way, you can but it's very easy to have something unexpected come up that keeps you from paying it off and ends with you stuck in credit card debt.

Some credit cards will retroactively charge you based on the original balance for the entire interest free period if you don't pay it off in full before it ends, this is mostly found in store cards though.

The blue cash everyday is fine, just not particularly useful for most people since its only advantage over 2% everywhere cards is 3% at grocery stores. Nerdwallet keeps an updated list of what they consider the be the best 0% cards you should take a look at though.

You could always chain 0% cards if you haven't paid them in full before the promo runs out, although you'll probably be hit with 3% balance transfer fees when you do. Although that's better than the APR you'd pay on the cc debt. You just have to keep an eye on the dates.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

So apparently USAA sent me duplicate cards. I called in, and the guy said that I should just activate both, and let one sit around for an emergency or something. Is that a good plan? Seems like BS that I can't cancel one without a dip in my credit score, but if I don't use it at all, will it really do nothing?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

clam the gently caress down posted:

So apparently USAA sent me duplicate cards. I called in, and the guy said that I should just activate both, and let one sit around for an emergency or something. Is that a good plan? Seems like BS that I can't cancel one without a dip in my credit score, but if I don't use it at all, will it really do nothing?

Do they have the same number? If so, cut one up.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

The Electronaut posted:

Do they have the same number? If so, cut one up.

They have different numbers, and different limits (5k and 5.5k)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just cut one up or throw it in a safe. If there's no fee, then it's probably helping your score.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can/should have my Citi AAdvantage card downgraded to that's no-fee?

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
What's the highest the Amazon 5% card goes in terms of sign-up bonus (I have Prime). I've finished a cycle of card sign-ups, bonuses, and cancelations and I'm looking for another card. Since I spend a bunch of money on Amazon I figure I should pick that one up but want to wait for a nice sign-up bonus. What have people seen? $75, $100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Amara posted:

What's the highest the Amazon 5% card goes in terms of sign-up bonus (I have Prime). I've finished a cycle of card sign-ups, bonuses, and cancelations and I'm looking for another card. Since I spend a bunch of money on Amazon I figure I should pick that one up but want to wait for a nice sign-up bonus. What have people seen? $75, $100?

I think I got $20-$25 off my purchase, but this was a couple years ago and I just applied on the Amazon site when I saw that, I'm sure you can do a lot better if you look around.