Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm playing Frostbolt Totems and took that passive which grants an Additional Totem but makes it so you can't deal damage with skills directly.

This means I can basically only do the "Kill the Target in the time limit" and "kill all the guards" Vorici quests.

Is there anything I can do, other than rolling an alt who has more "control" over what gets killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I'm playing Frostbolt Totems and took that passive which grants an Additional Totem but makes it so you can't deal damage with skills directly.

This means I can basically only do the "Kill the Target in the time limit" and "kill all the guards" Vorici quests.

Is there anything I can do, other than rolling an alt who has more "control" over what gets killed?

did leave them low hp for 8 seconds the other day as your spec. Just gotta kill them softly with one totem till the timer procs then run away. Also had one for kill them while leaving at least one guard alive, you just need to bait the guards away and then go in and kill the person or bait the person from the g uards.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Alternatively, keep something like a devouring or rejuvenation totem gem on hand and slot that in somewhere so you can quickly summon totems that don't do any damage, thereby avoiding the problem of them insisting that poo poo has to die even when you run away. Doesn't even need to be leveled, just there to remove the damaging totems after you achieve whatever goal you're going for.

Or just ignore vorici's shittier missions and keep progressing. There'll be plenty of time to level him later.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I've been out of town and haven't had a chance to do, well, anything. What's cheap and easy this league that doesn't involve totems for the fun bits.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Bushiz posted:

I've been out of town and haven't had a chance to do, well, anything. What's cheap and easy this league that doesn't involve totems for the fun bits.

There's a bunch. Glacial Cascade mines is really fun, powerful, and only two ' mandatory' unique that are both affordable. it is squishy early though, until you get MoM. Ototh I killed innocence in 30 seconds with bitterdream as my only unique.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Low life vorici missions are pretty easy. Just unslot the equipment with main skill when the timer pops up and your totems should go away.

Kill all guards are generally pretty simple because the guards will naturally die faster than the exile.

Leave a guard alive I usually spend three seconds trying to kite them to a place where the guards won't all die and it works pretty well.

Kill no guards is never worth the kiting time

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bushiz posted:

SRS or Sunder

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Also, if you are having fun don't worry about rushing through the game. Last league I was averaging an hour per act, this time it's 2 hours because I'm taking time to shoot the poo poo in gchat, read the lore, see the new parts, and kill more monsters. "Ideally" you want to be 2-3 levels under a zone to maximize speed, but I die a lot when I do that so I'm taking my time to clear zones and stay on par.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lechtansi posted:

Also, if you are having fun don't worry about rushing through the game. Last league I was averaging an hour per act, this time it's 2 hours because I'm taking time to shoot the poo poo in gchat, read the lore, see the new parts, and kill more monsters. "Ideally" you want to be 2-3 levels under a zone to maximize speed, but I die a lot when I do that so I'm taking my time to clear zones and stay on par.

Yeah I'm doing that thing where I promise myself I'm going to read every lore piece and dialogue. I expect it to go as well as it does when I do this for Elder Scrolls games.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I still don't understand how prophecies work, even after asking in guild chat and reading the wiki article.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Quixzlizx posted:

I still don't understand how prophecies work, even after asking in guild chat and reading the wiki article.

You spend a silver coin. Navali tells you something will happen. It happens, sometimes. The prophecy is consumed and it won't happen anymore, unless you roll the prophecy again. That's it. That's all that there is.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Quixzlizx posted:

theyre quests with fixed rewards that range from "nothing" to "insanely good stuff"

spend silver to get a new quest, or if you don't want to do it you can spend silver to "seal" it which turns the quest into an item you can trade or throw away

eg: there's a prophecy that says "the next time you use a jewelers orb it'll 5 link the item". seal it and sell it to someone for 20c, ez pz

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Stangg posted:

Not that it matters because gambling is fun, but someone did the math and its negative EV to Vaal tabulas.

One - click lottery items like veal orbs and reliquary keys will almost always have negative EV because people love to gamble and will rmt to consume hundreds of those fuckers

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Well, I haven't played since November 2013. Imagine my surprise to see 7 whole new acts!

Game still seems good, there are a lot of new systems to take in. I'm rolling a Tornado Shot Raider, and we just beat Innocence in Act V, with our party dying a frankly hilarious number of times. Those orbs just one-shot me. Still, I feel like I have the right idea and a decent amount of life at 1,190. If anybody's bored and wants to help me out in terms of where to go, I'd gladly take the advice. Right now I'm getting tired of needing to chug a mana potion due to my 75% reserve rate, but I'm not sure whether to work my way to Soul Siphon or take Essence Sap . Itemization and tree.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

1100 is fairly low for Act 5.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

You spend a silver coin. Navali tells you something will happen. It happens, sometimes. The prophecy is consumed and it won't happen anymore, unless you roll the prophecy again. That's it. That's all that there is.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

theyre quests with fixed rewards that range from "nothing" to "insanely good stuff"

spend silver to get a new quest, or if you don't want to do it you can spend silver to "seal" it which turns the quest into an item you can trade or throw away

eg: there's a prophecy that says "the next time you use a jewelers orb it'll 5 link the item". seal it and sell it to someone for 20c, ez pz

OK. So is there any reason to wait to use my coins, or should I just blow them as I get them? Or sell them on poe.trade.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Quixzlizx posted:

OK. So is there any reason to wait to use my coins, or should I just blow them as I get them? Or sell them on poe.trade.

Up to you. I suggest using them.

Also remember that coins are locked down to the act you used them in. So it's better to use coins when you enter an act than when you are about to leave it.

nerox
May 20, 2001
The next item on my list to buy is Atziri's Step which is about 1c. My problem is I need to get them to 3R1G, which is 3 offcolors. I want to do the Vorici trick to get off colors with the socket recipe, but I need Vorici level 4 to do it, which has been problematic with my totems ruining most of his quests.

Is anyone willing to help me roll these off-colors?

And for those who have done this before, about how many jeweler's orbs does it take?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
edit: wait, I can't read, nm

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anyone have any recommendations for my build? I've grabbed almost everything I really want so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get more HP and defenses. I'm a little squishy, but since I have an army of 10 minions I'm not really dying much and I want to make sure I hit benchmarks not to get one shot in the endgame. Stats and Tree

also what is the best way to get more bone spirit shields.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
How does the droprate for currency work?
The wiki only says that you get a penalty when overleveled but does it vary by act/area or is it otherwise constant?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

scissorman posted:

The wiki only says that you get a penalty when overleveled but does it vary by act/area or is it otherwise constant?

the formula applies until you hit map level 68, from then on the droprate doesn't decrease when you overlevel

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

scissorman posted:

I am 99% sure currency drops are constant between areas.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So at what point did you tabula users stop using it?

I'm 69 starting to do maps and suddenly feel very fragile in some fights, like there's a couple of 5-links in the market that I could buy if I'm willing to sacrifice some DPS for a socket loss

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bushiz posted:

This is the first league I've played SRS and it's actually a really smooth leveling experience that blows the two other builds I tried out of the water. Zero gear required to melt through the acts.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

gonadic io posted:

I'm not really following a guide, I spend some time looking at old Siege Ballista and Ice Shot builds but the tree has changed since then anyway.

You can see what I currently have here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/AlsoD/characters
Character name: same_ehit_different_day
Gear is currently really poo poo because I'm in act 8 and saving for the Doomfletch Prism prophecy.

Playstyle: plant 3 totems, spam GMP frenzy to curse everything and trigger elemental overload. Swap to ele hit when you get Mastermind of Discord in merc lab.

Other bow builds you could do: split arrow (new jewel is pretty good!), tornado shot, ice shot, something with Chin Sol?

If anybody does want to critique my skill tree I'd be grateful, currently I'm hybrid but I'd like to be CI eventually.
I initially wanted to go all the way to the bottom right of the tree for the great bow and weapon ele nodes down there but I think I'd just be stretched too thinly.
I did a Deadeye version of this in Legacy (BouquetOfBallistae) so I was coming at things from the exact opposite corner of the tree, but I've got a few things to mention:

-Projectile Weakness is good in ways that aren't immediately apparent from PoB's DPS numbers. a. Pierce everything (which doesn't matter for SB but see discussion about single vs. multi target below). b. Knockback starts to be pretty disruptive to anything with melee attacks when you have a bunch of things doing it. I'm guessing you're planning on Whispers of Doom already, so this is what I'd suggest as your second curse once you've got the links to spread it. (I did have King of the Hill for more knockback, but I think even the 25% from the curse would be a noticeable improvement.)

-Attack speed was the biggest quality of life improvement. Without a bunch of it the time between when I dropped a totem and it started killing the thing I really wanted dead right now was always frustrating. I ran Haste over a damage aura because of this+runspeed.

-On single target vs. packs: I put a fair amount of effort into getting the Siege Ballistae up to 3 arrows each without a link so they would be better at clearing. That worked fine, but most of the time it felt like my 4L TShot+Chain+CoH+Proj Weakness was killing white mobs faster, even without any damage boosts linked in. If I were to do it again I would plan from the start that SB was for rares and bosses and my own big attack was for clearing (with maybe a 4L Barrage in the mix for bosses or Barrage/TShot on weapon and swap if you are rich). Obviously with Ancestral Power you need the totems to do all the work and in the upper left part of the tree you don't have as many good options for boosting your attacks at the same time as the totems, so this may not actually be relevant for your particular build.

-If I were to do this again, I would not do a Deadeye. Deadeye's ok and might be the best mid-range option but I think a lot of other options have a higher top end. In no particular order, here's stuff that I think could work: Raider (Avatar of the Veil, then Avatar of the Chase) for gottagofast, Pathfinder (Vet Bowyer, then Master Alch, then Nature's Adrenaline?) for Vessel abuse, Assassin if you want to go the crit route to a screen full of frozen/shocked/ignited bad guys, Elementalist for non-crit elemental ailments/maximum resist penetration, Guardian or Inquisitor would both work (ironically I'm not convinced Hierophant would be all that hot), all of the Marauder ascendancies (FIRE, max damage, megatough, respectively), and Champion (fight me you cowards, pay no attention to those giant ballistae).

Unrelated final thought: Garrukhan's Flight is pretty drat nice quality of life and it's hard to give them up once you've gotten used to standing wherever you feel like.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Benson Cunningham posted:

Tabula is awesome, just be careful because you are losing a lot of defense on it. In exchange, you get a 6l and the damage that comes with it. It's generally considered the best leveling item in the game.

Edit: Also, Vaal it.

Side note to newbies: when someone tells you to Vaal something, don't actually do it. The odds of bricking the item completely are pretty high, and most positive effects aren't worth it.

Unless you're memein' and fully aware of it in which case hell yeah vaal those Skyforths :v:

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He hosed up portal scrolls this time. :colbert:

Looks to be fixed in the current download. They are showing up for me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Illuminatus posted:

Looks to be fixed in the current download. They are showing up for me.
They were showing up before too, just ugly and wrong. But yes, it was fixed in the update that came out roughly at the same time as I posted.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
So I've been thinking to play a Righteous Fire Berserker but because I'm playing HC SSF and only had been playing RF totem builds before - how screwed will I be without access to Rise of the Phoenix or other "mandatory" uniques?

Basically - I know that Pohx is playing this and his guide is roughly what I wanted to follow, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to counter the degen with just life regen from tree and Purity of Fire aura, which realistically only will give me 2 - 3% of extra fire rest for the most time. Also - any other tips?

I guess, what I'm looking for - I've been always playing either totem or summoner characters, wanted to try something which is not EQ Jugg.

I had a blast with my self-cast Dark Pact Occultist till yesterday (totally great skill, btw, though zerker may be a better class for it), but I'm stupid and finally died to one to many life swings.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So I have been playing around with the DW Sunder Gladiator build detailed here:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1922606

Final Tree

I am fairly new to PoE and I was wondering what does a build need to run blood magic, as the 4 points in the build currently going to magic related nodes could be swapped to pickup the Blood Magic node and the +35% hp behind it.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm doing RF zerker right now as well. You can sustain RF decently with purity of fire and the 1% resist passive via good use of long duration flasks and spamming enduring cry on cooldown. It's not seamless,but it's workable until you get the 25c together for the shield.
E; wait, just saw you're HC SSF. I would actually probably not do this then, without the shield you aren't going much past white maps, and maybe not even that far if you can't reliably get big resists and life on gear.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 8, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hagop posted:

So I have been playing around with the DW Sunder Gladiator build detailed here:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1922606

Final Tree

I am fairly new to PoE and I was wondering what does a build need to run blood magic, as the 4 points in the build currently going to magic related nodes could be swapped to pickup the Blood Magic node and the +35% hp behind it.

You don't want to run blood magic with that build because it gets a lot of damage from reserving most of the available mana for hatred and herald of ash.

e: Also, those 4 nodes are being taken for the flask stats. Eventually you'll be sustaining your mana with just a little bit of leech.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I will never understand why people path up to the big life ring just for the notable, while ignoring all the 4% life nodes that are much easier to get to or even directly adjacent to the existing path.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 8, 2017

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

drat, that difficulty jump from act 5 to 6 is massive. I died to a rare like 5 times before I learned I'll have to pay attention to things from now on.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Double Bill posted:

drat, that difficulty jump from act 5 to 6 is massive. I died to a rare like 5 times before I learned I'll have to pay attention to things from now on.

The end of act 5 is then the first resistances hit takes place. Make sure to check if you are still capped on your resistances.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
As has been stated multiple times here, getting "killed" by Kitava gives you a permanent resistance penalty, and the game is tuned for you to be resistance capped.

Probably due for a gear upgrade.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

If there's a goon guild that's recruiting, can someone invite charname GreustWasRight? Thanks.

Kurash fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 8, 2017

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
About to start playing this game tonight.

The guide on everything was pretty simple, until it came to builds. Looking at the forums gave me a huge :stare: when it came to completing a build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

McFrugal posted:

I will never understand why people path up to the big life ring just for the notable, while ignoring all the 4% life nodes that are much easier to get to or even directly adjacent to the existing path.

Most people get the notable early on and finish the wheel later