Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

brugroffil posted:

A toll booth at the entrance would be pretty great

they should put up billboards on the meridians. that's a very desirable demographic to market to

monster on a stick posted:

The interior? I don't think the fires are exactly encroaching on Abbotsford.

abbotsford is the valley. the interior is everything past hell's gate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

On the one hand it would be pretty gratifying to watch abbotsford burn to the ground, on the other hand the smoky haze is depressing enough already.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

the talent deficit posted:

abbotsford is the valley. the interior is everything past hell's gate

How about Chilliwack, I hear they have a happenin' music scene

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Dillbag posted:

A combined 150k couple that's barely making ends meet with only 15% housing costs screams either massive student debt, two new cars financed at 2.9% for the next 72 months, or a refusal to stop eating out so loving much.

e. or a lot of drugs

It's probably all of these things.

I really wish OP would elaborate some more.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
BWM: Everyone involved (especially the guy in the original Facebook post he references)

https://medium.com/@CodyBrown/how-to-lose-8k-worth-of-bitcoin-in-15-minutes-with-verizon-and-coinbase-com-ba75fb8d0bac

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

It feels like anytime I read something about crypto currencies, BWM doesn't even begin to describe it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

How exactly was his account compromised?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dillbag posted:

Squamish still has a sizeable meth problem
A combined 150k couple that's barely making ends meet with only 15% housing costs screams either massive student debt, two new cars financed at 2.9% for the next 72 months, or a refusal to stop eating out so loving much.

e. or a lot of drugs
:thunk:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Maybe they should move to PoCo and redevelop that pig farm.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

LLCoolJD posted:

Somebody social engineers his phone number to be pushed to them, they do a password reset or 2FA through his new compromised number, they use this to reset and access his coinbase. Voila: free money.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LLCoolJD posted:

Your phone company is incredibly willing to port your phone number to any random person who has your address, so never use SMS 2-factor or tie anything to just having access to your phone number.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I didn't realize this was so insecure until hearing about this, personally. What are the alternatives? I'm not into crypto so I have some security through obscurity but that's weak poo poo.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hoodwinker posted:

I didn't realize this was so insecure until hearing about this, personally. What are the alternatives? I'm not into crypto so I have some security through obscurity but that's weak poo poo.

Apps like Google Authenticator but a lot of places are just barely getting to SMS 2-factor let alone anything more complex than that.

e: https://www.wired.com/2016/06/hey-stop-using-texts-two-factor-authentication/

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I send every company I communicate with a one-time pad and require that all communication be encrypted through it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ashcans posted:

I send every company I communicate with a one-time pad and require that all communication be encrypted through it.
The cipher is "hunter2".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hoodwinker posted:

The cipher is "*******".

What am I supposed to do with that password?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Hoodwinker posted:

Rainbow table and salt hash your phone number.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

canyoneer posted:

What am I supposed to do with that password?
One of these days a comedy of errors will occur because a user will make their password ******* and the system will allow it.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Rainbow table and salt hash your phone number.
To further protect my identity I will now be using 2FA for anybody saying any part of my name in reference to me.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I use a super complex algorithm to encode messages into my posts on SA so nobody can ever decipher them

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Me too

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ranbo das posted:

I use a super complex algorithm to encode messages into my posts on SA so nobody can ever decipher them
Same.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Hoodwinker posted:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/06/2fa_missed_warning/

At my work I implemented Duo which primarily uses an app-based authenticator, both Google and Microsoft also offer their own versions of this. Hardware authenticators are still viable, banks will usually issue them to businesses afaik.

As stated in some previous replies, for some places there are no real alternatives. I would suspect an attack like this has to be highly targeted, so as long as you don't post on a public facebook profile about your hoard of buttcoins you'll probably be fine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
BWM: Helpfully admitting and documenting your discrimination for your employee's discrimination lawsuit.

quote:

Employee is accusing me of discrimination.

Earlier this year, I hired a new dental nurse for our company. She was a university student who planned to work during her free days, and given the variability in her schedule we offered her a casual work contract. She started working for us 2-4 times a week. In her time at the company, she seemed incredibly energetic, helpful, cheery, etc. She even brought snacks for the nurses and dentists she was working with, because the hours were long and people got tired/cranky. One time when there was a traumatic incident at the company, she brought chocolate upstairs to management because she thought we could use the comfort. Essentially, she seemed perfectly happy and normal.

Then in May, she requested a private meeting with me, and told me that she was suffering from depression for over 9 years now, and that she had been raped in February and was now showing signs of PTSD. She said because of these recent events and her mental illness, she didn't think she could commit to the hours she had initially thought she could work. She asked me if it was okay if she could work less days a week. I was shocked by this revelation. Seeing as she was upset, I assured her that the company was happy to be flexible and let her go home early that day. I then sent an email telling her the company was flexible, and for her to send me her ideal hours per week.

She emailed me the next day saying she would like to work 2-3 days a week. Now, normally what I'd do was email all the casual staff and ask for their availability. This employee was always included in this email chain. But from that week onwards, I stopped including her in the emails, and did not offer her any shifts. She emailed me again a couple weeks later, texted and called me to ask about her shifts (because she needed the money apparently), but I didn't respond.

In June, we had a big company ball to celebrate the end of financial year, and she had been invited earlier on this year when she was still working regular shifts. I decided I didn't want her to attend the event anymore, and so I emailed her saying she was no longer able to attend since she was an inactive and irregular staff member. She pressed me again about whether or not I was ever going to give her work, and I told her I had no work available but if she wanted to find work elsewhere, I would of course understand.

Last week, she sent our HR department a very long email detailing what happened, along with screenshots of all our correspondence, along with some other emails. Apparently a week after the ball, the company had sent her an email with all the photos from the night, telling her that they hoped she enjoyed her night at the ball. I suppose that must have been a little upsetting, but it wasn't that big a deal surely? My friend who is the HR person at our company, did not reply to her email. Not getting the point, the employee emailed again asking if my friend had read her complaint. Again, we ignored her and did not respond.

Now this employee has complained to a Human Rights Commission claiming that we discriminated against her for having a disability (depression?). This is ridiculous, and it seems as though she's overreacting to simple company politics.

Does she have a case here?

tl;dr: An employee of mine turned out to be a rape victim with depression. After she told me this, I stopped offering her shifts or including her in our roster without talking to her for over a month + uninvited her from our company-wide ball. I haven't offered her anything for over 3 months now, and she's claiming that I discriminated against her for having a disability. Does she have a leg to stand on here?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Either this is a troll or the guy is insanely dense.

https://www.reddit.com/user/workdiscrimination

Tales Of Desire
Nov 5, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

BWM: Helpfully admitting and documenting your discrimination for your employee's discrimination lawsuit.

There is so much of this I don't understand. Why drop her from the schedule for working slightly less than she was before, especially if you really liked her? Why lie to her face about it? Why have HR ignore it? WHY you weirdos.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Or it's the nurse writing from the perspective of the boss. Would explain the extremely positive portrayal of the nurse in the story contrasting with the constructive dismissal.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Tales Of Desire posted:

There is so much of this I don't understand. Why drop her from the schedule for working slightly less than she was before, especially if you really liked her? Why lie to her face about it? Why have HR ignore it? WHY you weirdos.

It's very clearly just because of discrimination, and he even says as much in his comments that he didn't want to work with a depressed person. I am leaning towards something like 80% it's a troll.

"I discriminated. I'm being accused of discrimination. Do they have a case?" is veering hard into STDH

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What a nice manager. He heard she was having a bad time and decided to help by giving her all his money.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

It's very clearly just because of discrimination, and he even says as much in his comments that he didn't want to work with a depressed person. I am leaning towards something like 80% it's a troll.

"I discriminated. I'm being accused of discrimination. Do they have a case?" is veering hard into STDH

Could it be he thinks that it could only be discrimination if he doesn't like the employee? "No, your honor! I wasn't discriminating against her, I liked her, see!"

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Virtue posted:

Or it's the nurse writing from the perspective of the boss. Would explain the extremely positive portrayal of the nurse in the story contrasting with the constructive dismissal.

quote:

The OP posted from their main account, intended to reply as the 'manager' account, was called out, admitted it, and then deleted both of those replies.
Also, this entire thing (and the corresponding post in /r/legaladvice) makes much more sense if you assume the poster is the 'fired' employee, and not the manager. All of the info given, and the tone mentioned makes much more sense when framed from the employee's perspective than the manager's.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
^^^ oh lol

NancyPants posted:

Could it be he thinks that it could only be discrimination if he doesn't like the employee? "No, your honor! I wasn't discriminating against her, I liked her, see!"
It could be that or he could be thinking in terms of "discrimination means race only" which I've seen a hilarious number of people actually think.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Ding ding ding. She wouldn't be the first dismissed employee to misunderstand personal performance relative to expectations and perception around the office.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Hoodwinker posted:

An option though not full proof is to use Google Hangouts for SMS authentication. While still possible to compromise your Google account, I would trust Google more than I trust AT&T and Verizon to not gently caress that up as hard.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Virtue posted:

I think it's particularly telling in the few posts where they are like "So, if she sued us how much money do you think she'd be able to get?"

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I wonder how that thread would have gone if the nurse has posted that thread from her perspective? How many replies until someone claimed it was her fault?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ohgodwhat posted:

I wonder how that thread would have gone if the nurse has posted that thread from her perspective? How many replies until someone claimed it was her fault?

She does seem to be engaging in some sketchy behavior on the interwebs...

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

Why stop there, go full libertarian and declare it an independent nation and make everything pay per use

Make them apply for visas. $500 application fee.

Edit: And of course, tax the living poo poo out of imports and exports (groceries).

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 9, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

OP is an idiot, she has posted this:

quote:

No, it's correct. I was scared and unsure about whether I had any right to be upset about the way the company handled my employment. I'm sorry to have been deceptive. I know the story would be biased because I honestly can't imagine the reason she decided to terminate me constructively.
She assured me in our meeting that it was fine, that I was a great worker with great energy, and that the company was willing to be flexible - even if it meant only taking one shift every fortnight. She reiterated this in her email, but when I responded to say I wanted to work 2-3 days a week, she completely ignored me. She didn't respond to my text, my emails, didn't pick up my calls or attempt to call back.
Then a month and a half after this, she broke her silence to uninvite me from the ball. My coworker told me there was plenty of room, so the excuse the manager gave me was bullshit. None of the other coworkers I worked with realised what was happening, and they too couldn't see why because I was a good coworker to them.
I emailed HR today as a last chance type of thing, but it seems as though they've chosen to ignore me. Maybe they're hoping I'll go away and leave them alone.
So yes, the OP is posting as if they are the manager when in reality they are the employee. Some choice remarks:

quote:

My legal advice is 1: go dance in front of the 86 tram, you absolute prick. You're lucky you're using a throwaway.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

#candles

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6sm6ey/boyfriend_of_55_years_and_i_have_been_trapped_by/ posted:

Not sure where to begin but I'm trying to figure out how we can change. As of now, we cannot live fully because we are constantly living paycheck to paycheck. I'll give all the details I can think of to help better understand our situation.

DEBTS Boyfriends credit card debt-$18,000 My credit card debt-$10,000 Boyfriend owes in federal taxes-$2,000 as of three years ago when we last filed his taxes. Boyfriend school loans-$18,000 My school loans-$12,000

BILLS (per month) Rent-$600 Electric-$200 Water-$21 Sewer-$40 Cable/internet-$162 Netflix-$13 Gym-$40 Car insurance-$98 Pet insurance-$42 My student loan-$150 Boyfriends student loan-$250

OTHER Cigarettes-$325/month for both of us Weed-$280/month We eat out quite a bit because we work late and are lazy when we get home. Don't actually go through much gas because we live close to our jobs. We both have paid off cars 98 Jeep Cherokee 180,000miles and a 98 Buick century 60,000 miles. Both get us to work every day but need a lot of attention. We try to do the things ourselves as we have the money. But I am in some serious need of some breaks right now.

We have one dog. But we are also fostering another dog right now. The only we are paying for is food because we feel bad feeding it the crappy food the animal shelter gave us. We desperately want another dog so ours has a friend (realllly bad anxiety) but we know we can't afford it. We have pet insurance because our little guy goes to the vet about once every month or two. It has saved us probably thousands.

We are both servers so our incomes vary quite a bit. I would have to estimate we are making about $3,500 a month between the two of us. Working 5 days a week. Sometimes a couple doubles.

3 years ago boyfriend was a private contractor for a taxi service and we didn't understand how he taxes worked. Ended up owing a lot of money and I'm not entirely sure why we haven't filed since. I think it's a combination of being scared and lazy.

Can't get out of gym membership until December. Can't get out of DirecTV until September and we owe a total of $300 to pay off phones with tmobile, then we could get out.

We stopped paying the credit cards years ago. Probably 3-4 years now. We had considered going bankrupt a while back. Even got a lawyer. But then, just never went through with it. I've now settled with 3 of the 7 credit card companies I owe. Boyfriend still has 6 credit cards that he owes money. One of boyfriends companies has served him papers to go to court, but we did not go.

We really have just been slackasses for years now and I want it to be different. I am 26. Boyfriend 30. Like I said, we both are servers at restaurants and we actually don't hate our jobs, but Im ready to pursue my passions (whatever those may be!). But I want to figure things out. Experience life. Travel. And for years we haven't been able to do anything. For the past couple years I've been dreaming about having an urban farm, but I know I can't move forward very much if I am being crippled by all this debt.

We sit down every couple months and say, "alright, let's get this organized. Let's figure this all out" but we never get anywhere. We need help.
Where do we even start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6segzn/wife_doesnt_want_to_sell_house_but_i_do_nc/
Wife doesn't want to sell house but I do (NC) (self.legaladvice)
submitted 1 day ago by Johnnynumber4

quote:

We purchased a home 2 years ago for $400k. Last week, we were offered $1.5 million for the land from a commercial developer. I think we should sale for future financial security. My wife and I have been on edge arguing for the past week. She says she will not sign any papers because this house is sentimental as our first home and she doesn't feel like she's been here long enough yet. A completely irrational view in my mind. Can I legally force a sale of the house if she refuses?

There is no way that this ends well.