Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Azhais posted:

Censorship is never the path to enlightenment

No one got censored! In fact, his screed is now highly visible, the exact opposite of censorship!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

screamin and creamin posted:

Yes, and I have. But this is not about me.

Look, it's a little bit as it is in politics: COBOL may have been a little bit of an achievement when it was brand new, but it's just obsolete in a million ways and rightfully regarded as legacy crap now. Just read the Wikipedia page: "COBOL has been criticized throughout its life, however, for its verbosity, design process and poor support for structured programming, which resulted in monolithic and incomprehensible programs."

I also doubt it was the first language using English words. Can you support that statement?

In musical terms, you're kinda dead set on using Yoko Ono exclusively as the only shining example of women in music...

COBOL wasn't the first. FORTRAN was developed in the mid 50s by IBM. Hopper published the first compiler in 1952. I don't know of any examples before that.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Azhais posted:

Do you know what asceticism is?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Azhais posted:

If this guy really believes what he is writing, he should be very happy with how many people have heard of it by now.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The public evisceration of a guy with dumb opinions that he shared in an internal memo makes me really uncomfortable.

The irony of someone expressing discomfort at the idea of a google employee losing the anonymity provided by being a corporate employee and sharing their bad ideas to others within that corporate entity is

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Azhais posted:

That's not what censorship means

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The public evisceration of a guy with dumb opinions that he shared in an internal memo makes me really uncomfortable.

Nah

https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/so-about-this-googlers-manifesto-1e3773ed1788

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
e: oops

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't believe I got censored by being shown the door for yelling that women don't belong at my company while everyone was gathered in the common room to get coffee, I am emailing Breitbart right now about how that snowflake from HR wouldn't even let me finish my donut.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is it? In my experience, the way you actually make prejudiced people less prejudiced is by engaging with them with empathy and patience, exposing them to diverse populations, and leading by example. Public shaming accomplishes none of these things, though I do think it makes people more defensive and insular.

While I agree in principle, it's also kind of important to publicly and loudly say, "Not okay!" One does have to lay down the line about what's socially acceptable.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Azhais posted:

Good thing this isn't censorship then. Go the gently caress back to reddit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is it? In my experience, the way you actually make prejudiced people less prejudiced is by engaging with them with empathy and patience, exposing them to diverse populations, and leading by example. Public shaming accomplishes none of these things, though I do think it makes people more defensive and insular.

And in the meantime, what're all of the women and racial minorities who have to work with this guy knowing what he believes supposed to do?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

http://lardcave.net/text/the_racist_tree.html

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

Women were pretty heavily present in CS until the 70s and 80s rolled through and marketed consumer electronics as a male thing.

This. Women were big in computing as early as the 60's, but the industry got reclassified as male and women were pushed out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If only we could have had a rational discussion with the guy calmly explaining to all his co-workers that their gender prevented them from being good as good at their jobs as he was, maybe he would have seen the light of day, but now we have driven him into darkness.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Your experience sounds made up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

horse mans posted:

Do you know what asceticism is?

The worst path on the tech tree after you get eudaimonic virtues.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Majorian posted:

While I agree in principle, it's also kind of important to publicly and loudly say, "Not okay!" One does have to lay down the line about what's socially acceptable.

I don't disagree. There's a pretty big gap between "Not okay!" and "gently caress you, you piece of poo poo."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, in fact, the bigger issue is that people believing this now have a place where they can parachute off to, where they will be given a platform, told to put the dog whistle away, and handed a bullhorn with bullying epithets drawn on the side of it, thanks to years of us saying "Well now, let's try to speak to them on their own terms."

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Welp

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...68ed_story.html

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Not all opinions are equal and/or valid and not all opinions deserve calm, reasoned debate.

"Women like people and men like things" is not an opinion worth calmly engaging with.

And do you really think this sexist shithead is going to change his mind in a calm, reasoned debate? No. No he's not. He's going to play the same stupid loving high school debate team horse poo poo game that tons of people in this forum love to turn every conversation into.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lote posted:

COBOL wasn't the first. FORTRAN was developed in the mid 50s by IBM. Hopper published the first compiler in 1952. I don't know of any examples before that.

What's sort of interesting about this early stuff is that things that became broadly commercially successful (COBOL and Fortran) have held up far worse than the contemporaries that haven't had quite as much success --- Algol and LISP --- but which got way more stuff right design-wise. Perhaps software complexity was still low enough to make organizational concerns less important?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/894954486762008576

Hold on to your butts

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Can anyone explain why Trump's approval ratings are going down now?
If anything, I thought that the Donald Trump, Jr. meeting would be the thing that did it, together with the Scaramucci debacle. But those seemed to only nudge downwards a little, and we've had a quiet week, so why now?

As people who come to this thread frequently, we might be bad people to judge the general public's reaction, because we have been following every little ripple of scandal. It might take longer for things to filter through to people who aren't following things so closely.

It could also be that there is a critical mass where pro-Trump views don't get shared as much, and that causes people to not want to defend him. Like, the one guy around the water cooler who was still speaking for him stops, and then people find it acceptable to just admit that he is a failure.

My own guess is that he is going to level off and recover a little, before something big happens in late August.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Your experience sounds made up.

Sounds reasonable and considerate to me.

But does this dildo deserve that?

e-

lol!

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Azhais posted:

Not true, you can learn an awful lot about how not to get probated by watching other people being sent to cat jail.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

North Korea really seems to be flying up the tech tree on nukes. I hadn't heard much about their program since like 2003.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Accepting that NK is a nuclear power seems to be the only sensible option, right?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

We're going to have Iraq War x10 and once again not find a trace of any of this made up poo poo they're leaking to the press.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

business hammocks posted:

North Korea really seems to be flying up the tech tree on nukes. I hadn't heard much about their program since like 2003.

They had help from Russia.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

screamin and creamin posted:

What's this even supposed to mean? In any event, COBOL is a language that's universally regarded as a terrible legacy product. Certainly not a good showcase of anything. But even if it would be the greatest programming language in the world, it would just be one example and at best an anecdote.

I'm convinced that women and men have the same skill potential in computing, but gently caress COBOL.

COBOL was one of the first high level languages. Yeah, it has problems. But mainly because it was one of the first languages. Progress is built increment by increment. Someone has to make the mistakes so others can learn from them.

And yet that terrible language is still the cornerstone of the entire finance industry 50 years later. Even after investing tens of billions of dollars in failed projects with "better" languages to try and replace it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think Trump and his supporters are hoping for a nuclear attack. It wouldn't hit any part of the country they haven't already demonized as enemies of America, and then Trump would get to push the Big Red Button and enhance his image as a strong man. He would be in the history books forever for more than just being a corrupt and useless piece of poo poo.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

glowing-fish posted:

If anything, I thought that the Donald Trump, Jr. meeting would be the thing that did it, together with the Scaramucci debacle. But those seemed to only nudge downwards a little, and we've had a quiet week, so why now?

As people who come to this thread frequently, we might be bad people to judge the general public's reaction, because we have been following every little ripple of scandal. It might take longer for things to filter through to people who aren't following things so closely.

It could also be that there is a critical mass where pro-Trump views don't get shared as much, and that causes people to not want to defend him. Like, the one guy around the water cooler who was still speaking for him stops, and then people find it acceptable to just admit that he is a failure.

My own guess is that he is going to level off and recover a little, before something big happens in late August.

People are not as stupid as we act. They have the misguided idea that an outsider to Washington will somehow fix things. They are willing to ignore Trumps idiocy because they think he will cut through red tape (that may or may not exist) and address their concerns about their jobs and such. However the GOP's utter failure on healthcare, and trumps complete lack of real effort on the issue are infuriating to the avg GOP voter and they are not going to ignore his antics forever if he is not delivering results.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChrisLu44/status/894942512762290176

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

We're going to have Iraq War x10 and once again not find a trace of any of this made up poo poo they're leaking to the press.

I really hope that's not the case. There were conceivable gains from a war with Iraq (oil, revenge for w), there is very little to even theoretically gain from war with North Korea.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

glowing-fish posted:

imo its that even moderate trump fans are getting sick of how much he tweets about stupid bullshit instead of actually creating policy

we like to complain about how the olds and the rurals are getting duped by the GOP propaganda machine

but it's increasingly obvious that trump is a big whiner who talks way more than he actually gets things done and this doesn't play well in middle america. he reminds people of the lovely boss that everyone's worked for at some point or another, and the more he fires people the more this is underscored because that's what lovely bosses do

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

Come on, man. Were you alive in the runup to the Iraq war? Do you think that NK's nuclear tests were all made up?

edit: You utter moron.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Burt Buckle posted:

I really hope that's not the case. There were conceivable gains from a war with Iraq (oil, revenge for w), there is very little to even theoretically gain from war with North Korea.

Doesn't North Korea have a lot of coal mines? Maybe this is part of Trump's plan to bring back coal for all those people who haven't been asking for it and don't want it. Following Rick Perry's economics of flooding the market with coal to create demand?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hahaholy poo poo

Mozi posted:

Come on, man. Were you alive in the runup to the Iraq war? Do you think that NK's nuclear tests were all made up?

edit: You utter moron.

I think it's reasonable to be skeptical when it comes to North Korea in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
This sort of article, about the overwhelming advantage that the 2018 election map gives republicans, as well as the expanding electoral college and senate advantage they’re getting, makes me frustrated for the dems. And it seems to bode very poorly for the Supreme Court as well.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-congressional-map-is-historically-biased-toward-the-gop/

I’d love to hear what some posters here might suggest as the two, four, and eight year strategy for the DNC. I’m much more concerned about this, and the arc of the next twenty years, than who the DNC fields as their national candidate in 2020. It’s obvious why, but shouldn’t the dems really be most concerned about the 2020 census, and the gerrymandering SC decision?

• Locked thread