Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Could I get some recommendations for silly fantasy adventure anime? I'm mainly looking for older stuff and not really pure shounen stuff either. My favorite anime is Slayers and the original Dragon Ball is on the list, I also like Konosuba quite a bit but I'm really not looking for MMO stuff, I want a legit fantasy world. Filler doesn't bother me and it doesn't really need an overarching plot or anything either, since I've watched 130~ episodes of Ranma lately and just a problem of the week thing is cool with me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

SM64Guy posted:

Could I get some recommendations for silly fantasy adventure anime? I'm mainly looking for older stuff and not really pure shounen stuff either. My favorite anime is Slayers and the original Dragon Ball is on the list, I also like Konosuba quite a bit but I'm really not looking for MMO stuff, I want a legit fantasy world. Filler doesn't bother me and it doesn't really need an overarching plot or anything either, since I've watched 130~ episodes of Ranma lately and just a problem of the week thing is cool with me too.

I just watched Ruin Explorers, it's just a short 4-episode OVA, but it scratched that itch for me, though it feels pretty cliched now. Another short but fun old OVA (that's on crunchy, as an added benefit) is Dragon Half. The original Tenchi Muyo OVAs, even if they're actually sci-fi, have a similar feel are also real good and funny.

It's not older, but if you haven't seen Chaika, you should see Chaika.

And I haven't seen it yet, so I can't exactly recommend it, but I've been having a similar itch recently, and I was going to check out Louie the Rune Soldier, which seems like it might scratch it.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I just watched Ruin Explorers, it's just a short 4-episode OVA, but it scratched that itch for me, though it feels pretty cliched now. Another short but fun old OVA (that's on crunchy, as an added benefit) is Dragon Half. The original Tenchi Muyo OVAs, even if they're actually sci-fi, have a similar feel are also real good and funny.

It's not older, but if you haven't seen Chaika, you should see Chaika.

And I haven't seen it yet, so I can't exactly recommend it, but I've been having a similar itch recently, and I was going to check out Louie the Rune Soldier, which seems like it might scratch it.

Ohhh Ruin Explorers sounds like what I'm looking for. Also I forgot about Dragon Half which I'd been meaning to watch. Never watched Tenchi Muyo or Chaika either so I might check them out.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I have a personal love for Dragon-Half, just watch the English dub because a few characters become loving priceless in it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SM64Guy posted:

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen.

The first 24-episode season only though, the second is craaaap.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SM64Guy posted:

Ohhh Ruin Explorers sounds like what I'm looking for. Also I forgot about Dragon Half which I'd been meaning to watch. Never watched Tenchi Muyo or Chaika either so I might check them out.

Watch Louie the Rune Soldier.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Seconding Ruin Explorers, also watch El-Hazard if you haven't yet

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Those who Hunt Elves is good, and very very silly.

Magic Knight Rayearth does get pretty dark at times, but has a lot of silliness to balance it out.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

I saw some really cool animation in some Gunbuster clips, and since it's Hideaki Anno, I want to check it out, but do you just start with the TV show?

There's also a bunch of cut or edited material, which makes this a pain to navigate - as usual.
Finished Gunbuster (not bad at all, but still very Anno), but thought I'd be better off asking this here:

ufarn posted:

Anyone happen to know where I can see wth the scrolling text at the end of Gunbuster ep6 says? Subtitlers were asleep by that time.

Also, what is the difference between the regular finale and the "b" version?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think b just removes the letterboxing at the top and bottom of the screen

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I couldn't tell any difference, so that sounds reasonable.

And Diebuster also did the same as Gunbuster by making the original OVAs into a movie that you should avoid, rigth?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah the movie is just the OVA with some stuff cut out, there's no reason to watch it over the OVA.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
They also used a completely different audio track for the blurays and the movie. I kinda like some of the sound design choices they made but overall I prefer the original.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 23, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So, uh, can someone explain all the different episode types or categories of Code Geass? It's got what I assume are the regular ones on top of "Picture Drama", "OP", "ED", and possibly more?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

ufarn posted:

So, uh, can someone explain all the different episode types or categories of Code Geass? It's got what I assume are the regular ones on top of "Picture Drama", "OP", "ED", and possibly more?
Picture dramas are like an audio drama set to still illustrations. Since it should all just be supplemental/bonus stuff to add more flavor/context for the super fans, it's probably safe to skip if this is your first run through. You can always come back to them later if you want.

OP and ED are, well, the OP and ED, just in separate files to save some space over including them in the file for each episode. Episodes should have chapter marks that, if your video player supports them, will automatically insert the OP and ED in the appropriate spots.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ohh, I didn't know they were known acronyms for anything, shows how much I know.

All this figuring out movies vs OVAs or shows + OVAs vs Blu-ray vs non-censored versions has made me paranoid about watching the wrong versions of animes lately.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Something actiony, but not to over the top.
I loved Attack on Titan and Knights of Sidonia, haven't seen much else.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

uguu posted:

Try My Hero Academia. It's lighter in tone than either of those but it's got a similar structure, and for a superhero show the action is pretty grounded.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 4, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

uguu posted:

My Hero Academia maybe? There's more humor than in either of the two you've mentioned, but it's not a full on comedy by any means.

Also, Darker Than Black.

e: ^^^^ :yeah:

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

You guys are fast^^
I'll give a try, thanks!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Coffin princess chaika is a decent choice too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
someone just uploaded a bunch of some Crash Bandicoot manga that is pure, distilled 90's anime/manga on almost every single panel of every single page, and apparently it got canceled before it could finish its 3-volume planned release lol

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

uguu posted:

I'll nth My Hero Academia. Maybe Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, for sure, yeah. It's one of the best manga/anime of all time.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Captain Invictus posted:

someone just uploaded a bunch of some Crash Bandicoot manga that is pure, distilled 90's anime/manga on almost every single panel of every single page, and apparently it got canceled before it could finish its 3-volume planned release lol

That this had ever existed scares and confuses me.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Kokoro Wish posted:

Maybe the Ratchet & Clank manga would be more to your taste.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kokoro Wish posted:

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

The Metroid manga is actually really good though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've only actually read the entirety of the super metroid gag manga, which is one of the greatest manga ever written

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I miss Symphogear. What should I watch?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really enjoy Japanese animation, but I find the fan stuff a bit tiresome when it's relentless. What's a mecha type show I might like that also has sweet modern vehicles or whatever as well? I watched Aldnoah Zero and really liked it, including the goofiness (especially the goofiness of Inaho explaining his zany battle gambits).

I've started Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans and I'm enjoying it, but if anyone can recommend maybe a semi serious mecha series that's got great animation and a lot of sweet action I'd appreciate it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kuromukuro

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JBP posted:

I really enjoy Japanese animation, but I find the fan stuff a bit tiresome when it's relentless. What's a mecha type show I might like that also has sweet modern vehicles or whatever as well? I watched Aldnoah Zero and really liked it, including the goofiness (especially the goofiness of Inaho explaining his zany battle gambits).

I've started Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans and I'm enjoying it, but if anyone can recommend maybe a semi serious mecha series that's got great animation and a lot of sweet action I'd appreciate it.

You need to go watch The Big O right the hell now :colbert:.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

JBP posted:

Eureka Seven the Psalms of Planets. The robots ride on air-surfboards, which is silly, but because of that the movement and action in the show has a very distinct feeling.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Davincie posted:

kuromukuro

I saw this and the characters on the promo art made me go uggghhhhh so I didn't investigate further. I watched the trailer and I will give it a crack.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You need to go watch The Big O right the hell now :colbert:.

This looks insane. Thanks for the recommendation.

Droyer posted:

Eureka Seven the Psalms of Planets. The robots ride on air-surfboards, which is silly, but because of that the movement and action in the show has a very distinct feeling.

I can definitely deal with the action in this based on the trailer.

This is a broad spectrum for me to go on. Thanks very much!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm just doubling up on the recs for Kuromukuro and Eureka Seven.

Also the former is on Netflix and the latter on Crunchyroll if you have those.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I got bored of Kuromukuro the instant the aliens were revealed to be HUMAN SPACE SAMURAI

Eureka Seven and The Big O are fantastic.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I got bored of Kuromukuro the instant the aliens were revealed to be HUMAN SPACE SAMURAI

Eureka Seven and The Big O are fantastic.

That twist sounds insanely awesome and makes me more interested in Kuromukuro

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

if it helps you evaluate whether you want to see it my mission is complete

to me when sci-fi anime does that it just looks like navel-gazing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GorfZaplen posted:

everyone in kuromukuro is either doofy modern people or an insane space samurai with a giant samurai robot