Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Another question.
If I don't want to grow the population of my city any further but I want to provide enough commercial and industrial zone for the existing population, how should my zoning demands thing look?
All 3 bars on the same level or maybe blue and yellow bars at 0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack Trades posted:

Another question.
If I don't want to grow the population of my city any further but I want to provide enough commercial and industrial zone for the existing population, how should my zoning demands thing look?
All 3 bars on the same level or maybe blue and yellow bars at 0?

Look at your unemployment level instead of the demand bars.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Even though I've done a lot of actual traffic studies in real life its amazing how fast my brain shuts down when I'm trying to figure out how to take heavy traffic off a freeway and split up residential and industrial because I read that you need to do that. Am I correct in thinking that trucks need to be able to move between commercial and industrial? A long time ago I remember people posting pictures of parallel roads off freeways but I can't seem to get a sense of flow and the suddenly bodies are piling up everywhere :( I'm always tempted into building some weird mishmash of one way streets that end up loving me somehow, or my roundabout ends up having a lot of traffic pushed to one quadrant because everyone exits on the right.

I'm not looking forward to figuring out trains

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The general flow of trucks is transporting raw materials to industrial (usually from off-map, but can be from specialized industrial districts if you have them), then transporting manufactured goods to either commercial or off-map. Commercial will also receive goods from off-map if local production is insufficient. Thus you want to ensure good transport connections between the triangle of industrial, commercial, and off-map. There are also large and small class trucks - large trucks can carry more stuff but aren't allowed in "no large traffic" districts (except on highways). Those are usually the reason you see those parallel highway/street setups - the streets are for local traffic while the highways allow trucks to pass through without being allowed on the roads.

Also, bear in mind that the base game traffic pathfinding is kind of dumb - it generally doesn't understand that it can be faster to take side streets if the main road is completely jammed. There are mods that improve it, which might help you manage traffic flow better because they'll be behaving more like real people do when driving, instead of always taking the most direct route.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 6, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Even though I've done a lot of actual traffic studies in real life its amazing how fast my brain shuts down when I'm trying to figure out how to take heavy traffic off a freeway and split up residential and industrial because I read that you need to do that. Am I correct in thinking that trucks need to be able to move between commercial and industrial? A long time ago I remember people posting pictures of parallel roads off freeways but I can't seem to get a sense of flow and the suddenly bodies are piling up everywhere :( I'm always tempted into building some weird mishmash of one way streets that end up loving me somehow, or my roundabout ends up having a lot of traffic pushed to one quadrant because everyone exits on the right.

I'm not looking forward to figuring out trains

There are two kinds of freight vehicles, heavy and light, although I can't remember what they're called in game. Industrial to industrial transportation uses heavy trucks, and industrial to commercial uses light trucks. You can use district level policies to restrict heavy freight vehicles from traveling through an area, while only allowing light freight to make deliveries. In terms of zoning, you want to place your commercial in such a way so as to minimize the amount of commercial traffic passing through residential zones, as well as keeping in mind the fact that a commercial vehicle unloading goods will block one lane of traffic.

Residential vehicles will travel to pretty much every kind of building that requires a roadside connection except for other residential buildings, they'll only go back to their own home.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The general flow of trucks is transporting raw materials to industrial (usually from off-map, but can be from specialized industrial districts if you have them), then transporting manufactured goods to either commercial or off-map. Commercial will also receive goods from off-map if local production is insufficient. Thus you want to ensure good transport connections between the triangle of industrial, commercial, and off-map. There are also large and small class trucks - large trucks can carry more stuff but aren't allowed in "no large traffic" districts (except on highways). Those are usually the reason you see those parallel highway/street setups - the streets are for local traffic while the highways allow trucks to pass through without being allowed on the roads.

If I remember right, at least one of the traffic ban policies doesn't apply to highways.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Also, set up some Metro's. I was having major problems getting everyone to work from my residential zone, but I set up two metro lines with buses going to each one and then the same in the commercial and industrial zones. Traffic seemed to drop by about 50%, it was insane.

How far are citizens happy to walk for a bus?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Quite a ways. They're also happy to wait for an eternity. 'Tie up hundreds of agents in neverending bus stop waits' is a legit traffic strat.

One that misses the point, in my view, but I've seen people unironically advocate it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

hailthefish posted:

Quite a ways. They're also happy to wait for an eternity. 'Tie up hundreds of agents in neverending bus stop waits' is a legit traffic strat.

One that misses the point, in my view, but I've seen people unironically advocate it.

I don't gently caress with grandiose mutli-stop subway/metro/bus routes. I do a series of 2-stop loops. Seems to work just fine.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jack Trades posted:

How am I supposed to use Districts? I don't really understand what benefits Districts have other than being able to set specific policies to different locations, which I also don't understand why I would want to do.

The most common use is to mark an area "no heavy traffic" so there aren't those big slow semis roving around everywhere in your nice neighborhoods that you're trying to keep from being congested nightmares.

They send the small delivery vans instead.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So I finally got move it, and I'm toying around with it, and... I'm not sure how to use it to fill in gaps. If I have three buildings on a curve, with gaps between them all, and I, say, move the middle building left to cover the gap between the middle and the left building, won't there just be a bigger gap between the middle and the right? It doesn't look like anything regrows in the areas opened up. Do I have to use the RICO mod to plop something in there? I don't wanna plop things. :(

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ofaloaf posted:

So I finally got move it, and I'm toying around with it, and... I'm not sure how to use it to fill in gaps. If I have three buildings on a curve, with gaps between them all, and I, say, move the middle building left to cover the gap between the middle and the left building, won't there just be a bigger gap between the middle and the right? It doesn't look like anything regrows in the areas opened up. Do I have to use the RICO mod to plop something in there? I don't wanna plop things. :(

You're gonna have to plop something in there, but you don't have to use the RICO mod if you don't want to. Move It has a copy/paste function you can use to put a building in the gap.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You'll need disable zone check too or your moved grown buildings will de-spawn when they detect they aren't correctly zoned.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any way I can affect the way zoning is calculated?

For example this is how the game normally does it.

but I want it like this

but with a normal road instead of a highway.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 13, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Tried zoning it like that and afterwards degrade the highway road again?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Tried zoning it like that and afterwards degrade the highway road again?

Usually it'll just switch back.

There's mods that allow you to toggle zoning, I forget which. I think it's one of the road anarchy type tools? Also, building a pedestrian path or bike path alongside a road will stop it from sprouting zoning.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any way I can affect the way zoning is calculated?

For example this is how the game normally does it.

but I want it like this

but with a normal road instead of a highway.

Use no-pillars or something to turn zoning off on the round-about when you build it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hmm wrong thread

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm up to nearly 1800 subscribed mods.

man I love making ground-level shots.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Very cool. What's your FPS like?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Very cool. What's your FPS like?

Between 12-25. :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I followed someone advice and used real life cities as inspiration for roads and interchanges and things def look better !

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There was a mod recently released for this game that allows props and buildings to have their vertices and textures modified in game and in real time. This is going to be pretty awesome for making more detailed cliff faces and rivers. Skylines maps should hopefully be looking very, very good in the near future.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I find that I struggle to make things that are pretty because they're not optimal.

But I do want to try and make a town where cable cars and buses are pretty much the only way around. Is there an unlock everything mod?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

dogstile posted:

I find that I struggle to make things that are pretty because they're not optimal.

But I do want to try and make a town where cable cars and buses are pretty much the only way around. Is there an unlock everything mod?

Yes. It was made by Colossal Order and included in the base game by default even, just go to the content manager and turn it on. There's also unlimited funds, unlimited terraforming etc.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Oh poo poo, so it is. Pretty cablecar town, here I come.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Concert DLC announced
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines---concerts/CSCS00DSK0000018.html

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I guess that's a thing someone wanted?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I'm baffled at how CO decide on their DLC and expansion efforts.

Right from the start, there was one thing the game really needed, more options, more this-over-that, more decisions on what you build, and from that, giving you interesting challenges that make you try out different build options each time you play.

Instead it's just a bunch of stuff where the challenge is to "build all the stuff" and dump your city.

Even the most obvious thing that challenged the every-player since the launch of the game, the traffic, it became its own little puzzle everyone enjoyed solving in the game. That was it, they had the answer right in front of them, to keep on engaging customers and players in a meaningful way, and they didn't even do anything roughly with that aspect except a month(ish?) ago.

Now it's really just a pleasant zen garden game. The interesting game-play challenge has long gone. It was still a pretty fun game for a while though, so it's important to acknowledge that.

The mind continues to boggle, though.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 8, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think they really just don't want to implement anything that would meaningfully affect the core gameplay. Both because they are TERRIFIED of making the game "too complex" and doing anything that might bump the system requirements up at all. At the same time I also don't think they actually know what people want that well. Any DLC that did add meaningful new core gameplay would end up needing to be free though if further DLC was to hook into or build upon it.

The ala carte DLC system where you're free to buy any or none works well most of the time, but sometimes a game actually needs a full on expansion pack rather than an optional take it or leave it DLC.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Another possibility is that we are just nerdlords here who want something much more spergy than most people. Could it be that there is a silent majority of C:S players who play it more or less vanilla, don't really care about detailing, and are happy with what CO is putting out? I'm actually not sure. The C:S subreddit is probably a fair approximation of "mainstream" players and they eat the ultra-detailed and -realistic stuff up. In other words, is CO out of touch with what most players want, or are we? :iiam:

Either way it's super frustrating because this game with a proper expansion (or even sequel) would be absolutely amazing. At least the modding scene is strong, but I don't know if I've ever seen a game where the devs took more of an attitude of "eh gently caress it let the modders fix it."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's my summed up stereotype of every skylines community and what they seem to want most or get the most excited about

Reddit: We want more hyper-detailing, more pretty pictures and realism features, bonus if that poo poo has some sort of function.
Simtropolis: More realism, especially if it's pretty and allows for more detailing, region play akin to SC4!!!
Official Forums: Will this run on my laptop? The traffic AI in this game sucks and they NEED to fix it!!! Fix the traffic AI !!! Your game is BROKEN my city of 5,000 people is gridlocked NO I WON'T READ THIS GUIDE ON TRAFFIC!!!
This Thread: Deeper gameplay, more meaningful choices and challenges, CO is dumb and doesn't have a clue and we know best.
Steam Discussions: Traffic AI is broken!! Why is everyone driving in the same lane?! Why do I need mods to make normal looking highway ramps???

My main takeaway is that people want deeper city-management gameplay mechanics, not just traffic puzzles, a lot of casual players find the behavior of the traffic AI not intuitive and frustrating, and people really want more options to make their cities pretty and unique and it would be nice if those options actually did something, like those rows of trees you placed reducing noise pollution a little, just something, anything. For a game as centered around traffic being the only meaningful puzzle the default selection of roads is shameful and some sort of automatic sharp-angles system where streets coming on a sharp angle follow special junction logic to prevent left turns and flow as you'd expect would be a huge plus.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 8, 2017

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Finally, a chance to drown everyone attending a Morrissey concert in sewage

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The reception on reddit is mostly that it would make a very nice free DLC.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The silly stadium DLC thing was free right?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

The silly stadium DLC thing was free right?

Yes and as far as I can tell this is just a reskin of the stadium stuff being sold for eight bucks for some reason.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

How am I supposed to use Districts? I don't really understand what benefits Districts have other than being able to set specific policies to different locations, which I also don't understand why I would want to do.

99% of the time, it's to designate industrial type because why the gently caress would you ever want to use the generic default? The remaining 1% is that I'm trying to create a replica of a real life town and need to get real particular about what type of buildings go where.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The default industry provides goods for your commercial buildings, sometimes the game has trouble importing and your commercial buildings start to complain about not enough goods.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

The default industry provides goods for your commercial buildings, sometimes the game has trouble importing and your commercial buildings start to complain about not enough goods.

Do the specialized ones not? I've never had a problem with commercial buildings getting goods and I'm the worst traffic manager you ever did see.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It can ease up pressure on your freeways. That being said, my freeways are now always a congested shitshow. I need to work out how to fix that. It was fine up until I started making giant cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Bold Robot posted:

Another possibility is that we are just nerdlords here who want something much more spergy than most people. Could it be that there is a silent majority of C:S players who play it more or less vanilla, don't really care about detailing, and are happy with what CO is putting out? I'm actually not sure. The C:S subreddit is probably a fair approximation of "mainstream" players and they eat the ultra-detailed and -realistic stuff up. In other words, is CO out of touch with what most players want, or are we? :iiam

it's me, i am the vanilla player who doesn't care about detailing. i have literally never used stuff like Move It or Prop Anarchy. the furthest i've gone with modding is stuff like Traffic Manager and 25 tiles just because i'm more interested in the transportation simulation than the actual building of the city. i have no idea what kind of player is more common