Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Unflappable good vs unstoppable evil.

Let's rock! :black101:

We need a Dougie smilie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bad Coop is going to punch Good Coop in the face and he is going to explode.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They're going to get into a tussle and everyone watching will lose track of who's who and Bad Coop will tell Sheriff Truman "Shoot him! He's the evil one!"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

multijoe posted:

Bad Coop is going to punch Good Coop in the face and he is going to explode.

I read this as "Bad Coop will spontaneously explode when he tries to kill Dougie."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Supercar Gautier posted:

They're going to get into a tussle and everyone watching will lose track of who's who and Bad Coop will tell Sheriff Truman "Shoot him! He's the evil one!"

"Dougie Jones is very yrev evil"

"Yep it's that guy"

"Wait why don't you believe me"

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Return is the return of all of the Dale Coopers to the lodge, he's never "coming back"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If Dougie does defeat Evil Coop just by being his bumbling self I would probably laugh my rear end off and forgive Lynch for everything ever

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I've got to assume that the reason Bad Cooper doesn't just go kill Dougie himself is that the two of them coming into contact/hugging/whatever will blow up the world, which is maybe a good ending.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Why is he not just doing this his loving self" is a question I have asked in frustration every time an assassination attempt on Dougie has failed, not because I want to see Dougie killed, but because the people Booper is working with are cartoon character levels of incompetent for some strange reason. I hope the show actually answers that at some point but I doubt we'll get anything concrete about it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just noticed that Coop's middle name is Bartholomew, making him a D.B. Cooper

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

CJacobs posted:

"Why is he not just doing this his loving self" is a question I have asked in frustration every time an assassination attempt on Dougie has failed, not because I want to see Dougie killed, but because the people Booper is working with are cartoon character levels of incompetent for some strange reason. I hope the show actually answers that at some point but I doubt we'll get anything concrete about it.

dirtbag bonnie and clyde seem fairly competent from what we've seen so far though of course they are probably going to bumble up killing dougie in some fantastical fashion

Chantal while holding a gun at Dougie yells towards Hutch, "Just check his pockets...just...just check the loving pocket!!"

Hutch, bewildered by his faltering wife, reaches one trembling hand into a passive Dougie's breast pocket...and pulls out a bag of cheetos.

"You're the boss of us now, Mr. D," chokes up Chantal as tears stream down her face, finally free from a lifetime of trauma and inflicting violence on others.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

y'all don't know poo poo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, I laughed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I seriously love the contrast between good Norma being all about normal ingredients and food made with love and evil Chantal constantly munching on manufactured Cheetos

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

screencap of corn. i have no idea how I didn't notice it on first watch it's front and centre. something is very off at that house.

All the talk about whether or not she's eating creamed corn and no one wants to talk about the bunnies in the room?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Its not out of line for the main and most beloved character from the first run to return. I want to see him again, I want to see everyone smile again and to tell him all the things he's missed. It seems like things are starting come together though and we'll have to wait and see.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I truly do think he'll be back before the end of the series. Lynch isn't THAT withholding, and I'm sure he would have wanted to put Coop/Diane and Coop/Gordon scenes in here somewhere.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I'm personally holding out for a Wally/Coop moment. Wally rides his motorcycle through the Black Lodge to rescue Coop as the Evolved Arm and Danzig chases them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mr_jolly posted:

Watch a couple of On the Air epsiodes and you'll hear very similar music.

Edit: About 18 minutes into this one as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZmqt3FxbTY

holy poo poo this show!!!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought this was for sure gonna be it for Twin Peaks. Are they really thinking about extending this?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I've got to assume that the reason Bad Cooper doesn't just go kill Dougie himself is that the two of them coming into contact/hugging/whatever will blow up the world, which is maybe a good ending.

When good Coop came into the world it made evil Coop barf uncontrollably and lose consciousness (insert joke here like: "watching Dougie makes me feel the same way, ha ha"), so it's probably safe to assume that Dougie's presence would have some effect on evil Coop if they met in person.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought this was for sure gonna be it for Twin Peaks. Are they really thinking about extending this?

Showtime wants more but I really can't imagine David Lynch signing on.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
That shot of Coop driving in the trailer is definitely Dougie instead. If MIKE and the Arm can help him do Kung Fu, they could easily backseat drive.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I wouldn't want Twin Peaks to continue past this, but it would be cool if instead they got Lynch to do a new miniseries. Its not like this show has been that much like the original seasons, anyway.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That's pretty amazing Showtime wants more. I agree I don't see him doing more but that says alot about Showtime that they believe in this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Showtime wants more but I really can't imagine David Lynch signing on.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/twin-peaks-wont-be-revived-again-at-showtime-1027586

Not exactly what it says.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This kinda feels like a last hurrah for directing for Lynch to me. He'll probably just go back to making tables or whatever the gently caress after.

I only want a season 4 if that's what he wants.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I don't want a season 4 because I feel like in the time it'll take to make it, another half dozen cast members will die.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah like it was really lucky so much of the cast is in great shape and could even do this. And for it to really be 25 years later

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Cromulent posted:

I don't want a season 4 because I feel like in the time it'll take to make it, another half dozen cast members will die.

There's definitely enough new cast in this one to carry on, but again, it's arguable if that would be a good idea

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Berke Negri posted:

There's definitely enough new cast in this one to carry on, but again, it's arguable if that would be a good idea
I'm sorry, but that means more Tammy so we have to put the show down.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Mitchum Bros spinoff/movie.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I like Tammy

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

gently caress you, Tammy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about the James concert was that he's actually playing the song on the guitar. Proper chords and strum arpeggio pattern in rhythm, everything.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

[…] And even so, there are people like the ones I was talking about who feel that because of their personal disappointment in the Series Finale of Lost, the whole show is now tainted and bad.

At the end of the day, that's what seriality is all about. You have a central premise, some kind of goal, and you work towards it. Who killed Laura Palmer etc. However, as Lynch said, the trick is that you constantly introduce complications so that the show can keep going indefinitely. Now, this concept doesn't actually allow a resolution because once the case is solved, the show is over. When you happen to make the fatal mistake of writing an ending, though, the rules change.

I'll quote Peter Brooks at you here:
"The necessary retrospectivity of narrative: that only the end can finally determine meaning, close the sentence as a signifying totality."

So, as soon as Lost ended, it was fully formed, and had to be judged in its entirety. That was a bad look for a show that had clearly just been written from one cliffhanger to the next. It would have been smarter if they had got themselves cancelled.

kaworu posted:

Furthermore, when I came back the show and kept going into Season 2, it just got even better and I actually fully understood *why* the first season was structured the way it was, and I obviously appreciated the whole thing SO much more when I saw it fully in context, as a complete story.

This is basically the opposite end of the spectrum. You've got a show that is written specifically with an ending in mind, and that means the audience should (ideally) judge it when it's finished. However, since it made the fatal mistake of being a TV show full of cliffhangers, no one knows when it will actually get resolved. How can the audience know when they should judge something that could go on forever? What if they've got a David Lynch on their hands who doesn't intend to resolve the mystery at all? Do you judge it after season six or season twelve?

If Lynch wanted The Return to be viewed in its totality, he should have released it in a big lump like Netflix does. Since he didn't, it doesn't seem wrong to judge each episode individually. There is an end in sight, but chances are it'll just give you a cliffhanger like season one and season two. :shrug:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

This kinda feels like a last hurrah for directing for Lynch to me.

Yeah, I definitely get that vibe. And I think it should definitely be a last hurrah for Twin Peaks; this is a wonderful, singular thing, and I'm confident that in another 5 episodes and change (the finale is another 2 hour special, right?) it'll have said plenty.

I don't want them to cheapen it by giving us four more seasons and a massive goofy Twin Peaks extended universe that would feel pressure to provide answers to questions we don't need or one-up the surreal absurdity of this season.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeah, I definitely get that vibe. And I think it should definitely be a last hurrah for Twin Peaks; this is a wonderful, singular thing, and I'm confident that in another 5 episodes and change (the finale is another 2 hour special, right?) it'll have said plenty.

I don't want them to cheapen it by giving us four more seasons and a massive goofy Twin Peaks extended universe that would feel pressure to provide answers to questions we don't need or one-up the surreal absurdity of this season.

On the other hand, what if Lynch kept making Twin Peaks until he keeled over in the director's chair? That would surely fulfill his vision of never ending the show.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I feel like if the original Twin Peaks had never revealed who murdered Laura Palmer it probably would have played out like every other cliffhanger show did in the mid-2000s, eventually wearing thin and too long and the reveal being completely underwhelming or disappointing. Fortunately Twin Peaks developed a pretty engaging mythos (all the lodge stuff, which is mostly what FWWM and The Return are riding on) that can carry it but there doesn't seem to really been any plan for season 2 to gracefully pilot that ship.

That and wrapping up the murder mid-season instead as a finale is weird decision in itself.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

wizard on a water slide posted:

The last two eps are one combined two-hour special like the first two eps were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

booper has better things to do than to kill an idiot doppleganger so he delegates the job and each subcontractor assassin is more and more competent like you would find in a pagoda full of ninjas