Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You guys are really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Don't care one bit about commercials if they're at the start or all the way at the back of a podcast.

Anyway, 286 was great. Especially the reveal at the end.
Dave's sound was piss poor, but it's listenable.

Walka Blocka Shame
Apr 30, 2006

This is fine
Doctor Rope
It's horrible at first, but Dave's sound gets much better at around 19 minutes in.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
As a pissbaby who freaks the gently caress out and fills his diapers at the sound of heavy, nasal breathing, eating, lip-smacking and wet mouth noises during podcasts, this was actually fine. They did a good job alternating sound sources so it wasn't impossible to hear, Dave was fine, and Gareth hung tough. If anyone is worried it'll be painful, it's not really that bad.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality. It's a little dicey at the beginning but still really listenable.

The subject is highly :wtc: though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Elitist Bitch posted:

The subject is highly :wtc: though.

thedollop.txt

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

rotinaj posted:

Does Patreon have a setting for campaigns where they turn off the thing that tells you how much they're making? The Dollop's one recently vanished, as far as I can tell. My other patreons all say how much they're pulling in, but the Dollop just says how many patrons.

Patreon added that lately. For the most part Patreon pages doing good numbers tended to turn off the income visibility, while those with less income leave it visible. I suspect it's counter-productive since now I assume that Patreons with hidden amounts are doing decently so pay more attention to those with lower listed income.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Jack Parsons TV show coming to CBS:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/08/david-lowery-strange-angel-tv-show-cbs-all-access-jack-parsons-1201862649/

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Fast forwarding to when they open the mysterious black box.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Dave wrote a thing about why The Dollop is now once a week only https://www.facebook.com/thedollop/posts/1488147647943750

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now he can stop calling it biweekly when it was a semiweekly show.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Very understandable.

Still going through old episodes. 150, with the 1902 olympics was one of my favorites.
The loving marathon had me laughing pretty loud.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i kind of always thought that two podcasts a week was a crazy burden to put on themselves
the only podcasts i know of that update more then once a week are professionally produced radio shows, like PRI's The World, and that's like a full time job of a whole team of people.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Snowy posted:

Now he can stop calling it biweekly when it was a semiweekly show.

I think he's planning on still calling it biweekly just to piss you off.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tir McDohl posted:

I think he's planning on still calling it biweekly just to piss you off.

I'm not that anal, I had a suspicion he was doing it to be annoying. Googling it it seems that biweekly can work both ways if you don't care about being clear.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

mrfart posted:

Very understandable.

Still going through old episodes. 150, with the 1902 olympics was one of my favorites.
The loving marathon had me laughing pretty loud.

Very understandable that he'd like to do half the amount of work for the same amount of money. If he wants to spend less time on the Dollop so he can have more time for other more lucrative projects then that's his choice, and would be fair enough- no need for him to be so dramatic or pretend its someone else's fault. His rambling explanation about how he once thought he had Aids and he hates when his employees bother him when he is on vacation at the beach was particularly stupid.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Snowy posted:

I'm not that anal, I had a suspicion he was doing it to be annoying. Googling it it seems that biweekly can work both ways if you don't care about being clear.

I remember at my old apartment I got an inspection and the notice mentioned it was biyearly. So of course they meant every six months, much to my annoyance.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Wonder what this is about...

https://www.facebook.com/thedollop/posts/1489259134499268

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Do you have to be angry about anything in particular? I can be angry about a lot of things, some at the same time.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Tir McDohl posted:

I remember at my old apartment I got an inspection and the notice mentioned it was biyearly. So of course they meant every six months, much to my annoyance.

Well...yeah? That's what it means. Biweekly has some ambiguity to it but biyearly has always meant twice a year. You're thinking of biennially.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Dave has just stumbled upon old recordings of Opie and Anthony and it looking to build a pest army?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm curious, but enough to actually get involved
this is a strange way to rile up an internet mob on someone though, that doesn't often go well

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

The Real Quaid posted:

Very understandable that he'd like to do half the amount of work for the same amount of money. If he wants to spend less time on the Dollop so he can have more time for other more lucrative projects then that's his choice, and would be fair enough- no need for him to be so dramatic or pretend its someone else's fault. His rambling explanation about how he once thought he had Aids and he hates when his employees bother him when he is on vacation at the beach was particularly stupid.

Well, he won't get the same amount of money, seeing as it will be half the commercials. Although I'm guessing these don't make much money anyway, and that patreon probably isn't a goldmine either.
His story of the horrible healthcare system when he was trying to get by in SF does kinda explain his anger of what's going on right now, and why he wants more security in life.
Wether he really needs it, I don't know. But it's perfectly reasonable to be angry about the whole thing.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

mrfart posted:

Well, he won't get the same amount of money, seeing as it will be half the commercials. Although I'm guessing these don't make much money anyway, and that patreon probably isn't a goldmine either.
His story of the horrible healthcare system when he was trying to get by in SF does kinda explain his anger of what's going on right now, and why he wants more security in life.
Wether he really needs it, I don't know. But it's perfectly reasonable to be angry about the whole thing.

He also had an angry and nonsensical reaction to being correctly accused of plagiarism. I don't think he's a grifter or bad guy or whatever, but he is someone who would indignantly deny any wrong-doing even when caught red-handed, and he knows his fans will naively back him if blames something political they dislike. But whatever- its up to him how many episodes a week he does, and he didn't owe me an explanation anyway.

Tbh, I'd guess he's doing ok from Patreon, certainly earning more than the median US wage. Cum Town, for example, takes $220k/year from Patreon donations. The Dollop have a lot more listeners than Cum Town but I'd guess somewhat lower patreon donations (Dave has hidden the amount), but along with ad revenue I'd guess Dave and Gareth probably are making something approaching $100k or maybe more a year each before counting any revenue from touring and merch. Which if correct is not too bad for 12 hours work a week, and even better for 6 hours work.

The Real Quaid fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 7, 2017

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Nick Mullen has considerable recognition as the head of the DSA though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

when i was a kid, we were never taught the background behind the caning of sumner, and it was depicted as this funny/cool thing from history

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/894977038074880000

Oh hell yeah

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

deleted. what was it?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slanderer posted:

deleted. what was it?

He's working on a Dollop about the founder of Blackwater/Xe/Whatever they're calling it these days

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I'm generally not someone who cares much about ads or nattering before getting into the meat of a show, but only getting around to starting 13 1/2 minutes in? Come the gently caress on Dollop, you're better than this.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I'm generally not someone who cares much about ads or nattering before getting into the meat of a show, but only getting around to starting 13 1/2 minutes in? Come the gently caress on Dollop, you're better than this.

He sold ads based on it being two dollops a week, and he had to explain why he's going down to one. Unless you want him to do a totally momentum-killing break in the middle to help cycle out these ads, settle down, Beavis

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just recently got into this podcast and it's a delight. And by "delight", I mean "horror show of how routinely the USA has destroyed labor at every opportunity".

I had known about Charles Sumner for a long time, and even had some depth to it in college, but it's nice to hear somebody just call out what two-faced barbarism it was.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Dollop is the only podcast to talk about the other victims, the cane and the hat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If we've learned anything from the Dollop it's the unknown history of hats.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Hats are serious loving business.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Grand Fromage posted:

If we've learned anything from the Dollop it's the unknown history of hats.

Firstscion posted:

Hats are serious loving business.
I like how GaryGarthie gets increasingly frustrated every time hats come up.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
New one out. Seems USA Tues (aus wed) is now the release day. As usual skip the first 7min30sec at least.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

nvm

Trabandiumium fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 1, 2017

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One episode that I don't think gets enough love is Phantom of the Open. It's a nice, lighthearted story about a man who's just delusional enough to never give up, but never smart enough to actually take any lessons. He's the guy you love because you know he'll never succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"calvary" :bahgawd: :argh: :doom: :rant: