Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Harrow posted:

Why is everyone ranking putting Vaan in their FF protagonist rankings when Ashe is clearly the story's real protagonist? :colbert:

She definitely is, except Vaan is the guy on the box and always shows up in Dissidia and everything. It's like how Terra is considered the protagonist of FF6 when she really kind of isn't and it's more of an ensemble cast.

Harrow posted:

Yep. For some reason, people just remember the times that Cloud does get broody and/or their perception of Cloud is colored by his Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children portrayals.

In the actual game, he mostly just spends his time trying to be cool and being a huge loving dork and it's great. Early on he thinks he's a cool badass and acts like his badassery is self-evident and excuses cockiness; later, he turns around and tries to be an actual hero and just kinda fails to be cool in a really endearing way. I was surprised by this on my last replay of FF7, because I remembered him being a broody, boring piece of poo poo and he really never was that kind of character at all.

The actual FF7 is a good game, the FF7 people think they remember is stupid and lame

So yeah I'm saying the remake will probably suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Norns posted:

Because I hate myself I'm playing 15 again. Why is the camera so horrible in this game?

it was different but they changed it

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

corn in the bible posted:

let's mosey is a pretty loose translation, and that's not what he said in japan

I figured the one fun line he has that people always use to show he wasn't uptight and broody was a translation thing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

corn in the bible posted:

it was different but they changed it

I feel like this applies to every aspect of the game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hell yeah.

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/dissidia-final-fantasy-nt-closed-beta-begins-august-26-americas-europe

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

some guy on the bus posted:

I figured the one fun line he has that people always use to show he wasn't uptight and broody was a translation thing.

Cloud has a ton of those lines.

But it's more like him saying "Let's be off!" instead of "Let's go!"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Speaking of "main" characters, I don't get why Y’shtola is always the representative of FFXIV when there's a ton of better, more interesting characters from that game. At least Shantotto is really funny. And Vaan and Terra always get picked to represent their games even though they're not really the leads.

In fact, a problem with Dissidia and similar games in general is they always pick the same "lead" characters so you wind up with a bunch of teenagers with swords and not a very diverse cast.

Gimmie some people like Sabin, Tifa, Cid, Ashe, Vivi, Hildebrand, Kain, Mog etc. There's some obvious protagonists you gotta have like Cloud and Lightning but you don't ALWAYS have to pick the guy who's on the front of the box.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Norns posted:

Because I hate myself I'm playing 15 again. Why is the camera so horrible in this game?

:what:

I never had any problems with the camera. Are you controlling it with your feet or something?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Because no one really has more screen time than Yshtola without going into major spoilers (all her cameos use her 1.0/2.0 design too for the same reason), except for Alphinaud and at least the English community has been very clear in their dislike of him. Which sucks because I like Alphy a lot but thems the breaks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tifa's been in Dissidia before

Yda will eventually get in there, especially nowadays

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Because no one really has more screen time than Yshtola without going into major spoilers (all her cameos use her 1.0/2.0 design too for the same reason), except for Alphinaud and at least the English community has been very clear in their dislike of him. Which sucks because I like Alphy a lot but thems the breaks.

Alphinaud is very much the 2nd most important character in the game other than the player character.

Now granted, I don't hate him, but I do love to make fun of him and call him Alpha Nerd because... well... he's the nerd to end all nerds and makes Steve Urkel look like a suave motherfucker. It's great when his sister comes back and starts humiliating him at every opportunity.

Now if you want to talk about a character people hate, people REALLY seem to hate Minfillia for some reason even though I like how she looks and I totally bought her outfit

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The 2nd Dissidia had Kain and Tifa as playable characters, and Kain is in the arcade version, so I wouldn't rule out then adding more non typical characters. But yeah, the game does lack the typical monk job, since the majority of the characters are warrior / knight / paladin style jobs.

The arcade also added Noct, Ramza and Ace. So I'd expect plenty of DLC. Still, give me a monk, like Josef, Yang, Sabin, or Zell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

The actual FF7 is a good game, the FF7 people think they remember is stupid and lame

So yeah I'm saying the remake will probably suck

Oh yeah, the remake is going to be awful, I'm sure. I wish it wouldn't be but hoo boy I bet it's going to completely miss all of the charm FF7 has.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Speaking of "main" characters, I don't get why Y’shtola is always the representative of FFXIV when there's a ton of better, more interesting characters from that game. At least Shantotto is really funny. And Vaan and Terra always get picked to represent their games even though they're not really the leads.

In fact, a problem with Dissidia and similar games in general is they always pick the same "lead" characters so you wind up with a bunch of teenagers with swords and not a very diverse cast.

Gimmie some people like Sabin, Tifa, Cid, Ashe, Vivi, Hildebrand, Kain, Mog etc. There's some obvious protagonists you gotta have like Cloud and Lightning but you don't ALWAYS have to pick the guy who's on the front of the box.

There's not really a lot of other great choices. Y'shtola is both pretty representative for the game and probably the scion who is most meaningful and well-represented besides Alphie (who isn't going to outclass a catgirl) or Lyse (who is pretty new if you don't count Yda)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, the remake is going to be awful, I'm sure. I wish it wouldn't be but hoo boy I bet it's going to completely miss all of the charm FF7 has.

Yeeeeeeppppp.... my thoughts exactly. Any of the charm the original FF7 had is going to be stripped away. It's likely gonna be the unholy marriage of FF15 and Advent Children if it ever comes out at all.

Seriously the game is fine, why do people want a remake that bad. All I would want is a better translation and maybe some less lovely graphics but welp, okay. I hope everyone who wanted a FF7 remake really really bad will be happy with this because I doubt I will

ImpAtom posted:

There's not really a lot of other great choices. Y'shtola is both pretty representative for the game and probably the scion who is most meaningful and well-represented besides Alphie (who isn't going to outclass a catgirl) or Lyse (who is pretty new if you don't count Yda)

Lyse and Yda are the same person

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Lyse and Yda are the same person

Yes, that is why I said "if you don't count?"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's the point he was making, yes

e: beaten

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Fister Roboto posted:

About how frequently does this "fact" get brought up in this thread? Once a week?

To be fair, it's sorta half true. The producer said in this interview that the team really was conflicted about keeping Vaan as the MC, and ultimately went with it as a market concession. It's the other conclusions people reach from that, about other characters actually being the MC or that Vaan wasn't there from the beginning is the false part. Of all the facts we all get sometimes wrong in this thread, it's still more accurate than some of the things people bring up about 7/13/15.

What's weird to me though is that it was maybe more the case for FF13, where Vanille was really considered to be turned into the MC but they didn't because the first trailer already prominently featured Lightning.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
One of the things I love about StormBlood is Alisae making GBS threads all over Alphinaud. The entire time during the ending of ARR I was like "Why are we listening to a teenage boy and allowing him to be a diplomat?" So the actual twist in ARR and now with his treatment in SB I feel vindicated.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ventana posted:

To be fair, it's sorta half true. The producer said in this interview that the team really was conflicted about keeping Vaan as the MC, and ultimately went with it as a market concession. It's the other conclusions people reach from that, about other characters actually being the MC or that Vaan wasn't there from the beginning is the false part. Of all the facts we all get sometimes wrong in this thread, it's still more accurate than some of the things people bring up about 7/13/15.

What's weird to me though is that it was maybe more the case for FF13, where Vanille was really considered to be turned into the MC but they didn't because the first trailer already prominently featured Lightning.

Dear lord, a game where Vanille is the MC sounds like a loving nightmare

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

She's already the narrator and 1/2 of the duo that not only kicks off the entire series of events but also ends up saving everyone else.

Seriously, there's nothing at all pushing Lightning as the MC of XIII-1 instead of Vnille. She's no more important to the game than her fellow cast members.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

She's the hottest member of the cast with the best HairFX, that alone puts her over the top in the pantheon of FF protagonists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

She's already the narrator and 1/2 of the duo that not only kicks off the entire series of events but also ends up saving everyone else.

Seriously, there's nothing at all pushing Lightning as the MC of XIII-1 instead of Vnille. She's no more important to the game than her fellow cast members.

Eh, that isn't really true.

Vanille and Fang kick off the L'cie purge but it's Lightning and Snow (with a bit of Sazh) who actively sent events into motion. Without them people would have just gotten Purge'd and nothing actually would have happened. It's like saying Edea and Cid are the main characters of FFVIII or whatever.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Gammatron 64 posted:

Dear lord, a game where Vanille is the MC sounds like a loving nightmare

Vanille has very annoying and dumb mannerisms when it comes to dialogue, but in terms of the actual story itself Vanille is pretty cool in having to handle a bunch of poo poo she caused. She's the only character of the cast who really completes a full, effective character arc in the game imo. If having her as MC meant she also got cooler, then I don't think that'd be a problem.

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, that isn't really true.

Vanille and Fang kick off the L'cie purge but it's Lightning and Snow (with a bit of Sazh) who actively sent events into motion. Without them people would have just gotten Purge'd and nothing actually would have happened. It's like saying Edea and Cid are the main characters of FFVIII or whatever.

Eh, I don't agree. It's not like Barret making Avalanche and hiring Cloud that directly sets everything in motion for FF7 makes Barret the MC either. Auron brings Tidus over to Spira to directly setup events in FFX, but Tidus/Yuna are still the focus of the story. I don't think whoever "actively sends events into motion" is going to really accurately tell us who MCs will always be.

What I think Nikkolas was getting at was that Fang/Vanille are the center of what's going on in 13-1, which is why they're more important than Lightning's crew. The story's backstory was setup by them failing to turn into Ragnarok and Vanille's weaknesses. The plot's main focus is learning about Ragnarok, and the ending is all about Vanille and Fang trying to turn into Ragnarok for their own purposes. The other characters are mostly just supporting them in the end, and throughout the story aren't actively pushing the party's actions directly themselves (mostly cause they are just being lead around by Bart).

In the end though, the MC is ultimately what the marketing tells us who it is and pushes the devs to focus on. Yuna could've easily also been the MC of 10, but we have to go with Tidus. Ashe probably should've been the MC for 12, but we have to go with Vaan, etc.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

the trailer they showed seemed promising other than barret's SUNGLASSES (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :byodame: ). cloud is like 'whatever i dont care' when wedge tries to talk to him but then kind of looks at him expectantly when he walks away. that's what it looked like to me anyway.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mind you I haven't beaten FF13 because every time I try I eventually just want to quit and people say that Hope and Vanille do in fact get better

That said, Vanille strikes me as some kind of weirdo sociopath. Like poo poo is exploding and everyone is dying and she's like "teehee no worries mate everythin's all good you gotta be positive n happy mate all roight? Oh poo poo a shiny thing! See ya latah I'm gonna go run headfirst inta this real dangerous lookin' place" and then she runs off and starts frolicking around a the corpses of the fallen I mean a bed of flowers!

Final Fantasy has its share of annoying characters but I think she might be the very worst

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mind you I haven't beaten FF13 because every time I try I eventually just want to quit and people say that Hope and Vanille do in fact get better

That said, Vanille strikes me as some kind of weirdo sociopath. Like poo poo is exploding and everyone is dying and she's like "teehee no worries mate everythin's all good you gotta be positive n happy mate all roight? Oh poo poo a shiny thing! See ya latah I'm gonna go run headfirst inta this real dangerous lookin' place" and then she runs off and starts frolicking around a the corpses of the fallen I mean a bed of flowers!

Final Fantasy has its share of annoying characters but I think she might be the very worst

I'm not strictly defending Vanille's character, but it's worth noting that cheerful attitude is a conscious act she puts on to convince people she's not dying inside. She's very, very emotionally troubled and severely overcompensates in an attempt to hide it and convince everyone around here that everything is fine. There are a couple of times when she drops the act, including one time when she full-on tries to commit suicide by cop Sazh. Fang, on the other hand, deals with the same sort of emotional strife by getting angry and/or just being as stoic as she can about it.

I still think Vanille is annoying, but she's not a sociopath.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Elephant Ambush posted:

:what:

I never had any problems with the camera. Are you controlling it with your feet or something?

I was in a sidequest where my camera was being hunted by a pack of malevolent trees and bushes.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm not strictly defending Vanille's character, but it's worth noting that cheerful attitude is a conscious act she puts on to convince people she's not dying inside. She's very, very emotionally troubled and severely overcompensates in an attempt to hide it and convince everyone around here that everything is fine. There are a couple of times when she drops the act, including one time when she full-on tries to commit suicide by cop Sazh. Fang, on the other hand, deals with the same sort of emotional strife by getting angry and/or just being as stoic as she can about it.

I still think Vanille is annoying, but she's not a sociopath.

Okay, point taken, she's not some kind of sociopath. But she is like some kind of space alien because I have never seen a human being act even remotely like that. I would say she acts like a toddler which is unsettling in and of itself because she looks like a teenager, but that's not giving enough credit to toddlers because even they won't behave like that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay, point taken, she's not some kind of sociopath. But she is like some kind of space alien because I have never seen a human being act even remotely like that. I would say she acts like a toddler which is unsettling in and of itself because she looks like a teenager, but that's not giving enough credit to toddlers because even they won't behave like that.

Dude the way Vanille behaves is Japanese as gently caress. A huge part of their culture is straight-up lying to people they care about to protect their feelings.

And I'm not judging that part of the culture either. Other cultures do it too (including America) but in different ways.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Gammatron 64 posted:

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to say "Vanille gets better later on, seriously guys". Vanille is still annoying and my least favorite 13 character because of it. I just think that they'd make her less annoying if she were actually the main character. I wouldn't call her one of the worst FF characters because of her actual growth, but she's definitely up there for most annoying if not #1.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gammatron 64 posted:

To be fair Vanille is technically an alien while on Cocoon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah cloud is just a normal guy who can do limit break and a cool battle victory pose

ImpAtom posted:

But it's more like him saying "Let's be off!" instead of "Let's go!"

wait no forill? so not only is cloud a wishy-washy normal guy but he also kinda tries to say things like a heroic knight except he lives in modern times so he's basically a larper?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

yeah cloud is just a normal guy who can do limit break and a cool battle victory pose

wait no forill? so not only is cloud a wishy-washy normal guy but he also kinda tries to say things like a heroic knight except he lives in modern times so he's basically a larper?

Eh, not really? That wasn't what I was trying to imply there. It's just a wishy-washy/boring "let's go" instead of a confident "LET"S GO"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The White Dragon posted:

To be fair that's also true of the robot cat.

I'd imagine everyone and everything can do limit breaks in the FF games that have them, though IIRC FF9 was the only one where people outside the party got them. Might be missing one or two though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

To be fair that's also true of the robot cat.

I'd imagine everyone and everything can do limit breaks in the FF games that have them, though IIRC FF9 was the only one where people outside the party got them. Might be missing one or two though.

In FFVIII Seifer has limit breaks Raijin/Fujin have moves strongly implied to be them (they only do them under low health/aura status).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Braska's Final Aeon and Sin have overdrives in FFX as well. I don't remember if the humanoid bosses have overdrives though.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ImpAtom posted:

In FFVIII Seifer has limit breaks Raijin/Fujin have moves strongly implied to be them (they only do them under low health/aura status).

I don't know if it counts as a limit break but Seifer pulling an Odin on Odin might be the most badass moment in the series.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I mean granted he looks like a chump a few turns later but it's cool when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

the trailer they showed seemed promising other than barret's SUNGLASSES (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :byodame: ). cloud is like 'whatever i dont care' when wedge tries to talk to him but then kind of looks at him expectantly when he walks away. that's what it looked like to me anyway.

Cloud did treat the avalanche guys like poo poo in the beginning of ff7, because he was supposed to be a cool mercenary dude, so that part is at least like the original. I wouldn't worry about it anyway though, the remake is never coming out.