Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MisterZimbu posted:

Even better - they're removing it from all modes indefinitely:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20758516517

Glory be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Now I feel bad

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Radish posted:

Glory be

May the lord open.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

That's really loving disappointing.

An innocent map, murdered by Reddit.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea, I actually liked it. :(

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
The only thing Hanamura was guilty of was being the worst map in the game and really poorly designed

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Patch notes!

Only orange text (which normally indicates change from PTR notes) is for DK buffs:

quote:

Dragon Knight *
General
Now deals double damage to minions
Base Health increased from 8000 to 9300
Starting duration increased from 50 to 55 seconds
Adjusted weapon swing to feel more responsive
Flame Breath (Q)
Base initial damage increased from 70 to 85
Damage over time effect now happens in half the previous time (total damage has not been changed)
Savage Charge (W)
No longer has a .25 second damage delay after punting the target
Base damage increased from 300 to 450
*These changes have been live since the Stukov patch but were missing from patch notes.

Well Hanamura getting the Mines treatment is also orange.

e:

Macaluso posted:

The patch just dropped!

...and battle.net is down for maintenance. Why would you hurt me like this Blizzard :qq: Garrosh so close yet so far
Launcher says 12 PST, which is in an hour from now. It was originally 9 PST, so it's going to be 3 hours later than expected. Garrosh is in the server room breaking poo poo.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 8, 2017

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Avalerion posted:

Yea, I actually liked it. :(

it's not removed from the game, you can still use it in custom game, just like when they took Haunted Mines out. So just find 9 other dudes with terrible opinions about videogames and you're golden!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Coolness Averted posted:

So just find 9 other dudes with terrible opinions about videogames and you're golden!

Shouldn't be too hard, given how many of them post in this thread on a regular basis.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I actually didn't mind it anymore after the changes they made last patch. Payloads giving exp and the longer game made downing the forts much less of a priority.

I actually hate Mines far more with the weak rear end golem for first 10 minutes that isn't worth giving up presence in the lanes for.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Coolness Averted posted:

9 other dudes with terrible opinions about videogames

Goons?

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Now do the same for Blackheart's Bay you stubborn fuckers

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Chat time stamps, hoo loving ray.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Alpha Mayo posted:

I actually didn't mind it anymore after the changes they made last patch. Payloads giving exp and the longer game made downing the forts much less of a priority.

I actually hate Mines far more with the weak rear end golem for first 10 minutes that isn't worth giving up presence in the lanes for.

The problem is that the changes made it so if one of the teams just destroyed the other team, they could effectively keep the game going forever and that was happening apparently a lot. I never experienced it, but I've seen plenty of posts of people saying "the other team held us hostage on hanamura for over an hour to farm XP" or something.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Coolness Averted posted:

it's not removed from the game, you can still use it in custom game, just like when they took Haunted Mines out. So just find 9 other dudes with terrible opinions about videogames and you're golden!

Somehow I don't think that the people who disliked Hanamura will want to play it in a custom game, sadly.

Macaluso posted:

The problem is that the changes made it so if one of the teams just destroyed the other team, they could effectively keep the game going forever and that was happening apparently a lot. I never experienced it, but I've seen plenty of posts of people saying "the other team held us hostage on hanamura for over an hour to farm XP" or something.

This, however. If this is actually true then that is a valid reason to disable it. Such camping should be stamped out ASAP.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gustav posted:

Now do the same for Blackheart's Bay you stubborn fuckers

The Blackheart brawl would make an interesting base for the rework. Didn't the description say you could still take out their core if the other team got the final turn in -as long as you did it before he finished his volley? Was it just minions were still going while everyone was frozen in place? Or did I misread it and it meant "No, you can get those last hits in during those last 3 seconds where they channel the turn in/the ship appears?" I was expecting more of a "Blackheart will destroy all remaining structures for the enemy team, starting with the forts and towers then moving down to core," or that he'd fire directly on the core, but take some time (like 30-60 seconds) to finish it off and you could still play/make one last push while that was going.

Mind over Matter posted:

This, however. If this is actually true then that is a valid reason to disable it. Such camping should be stamped out ASAP.

We've had screenshots and gifs of it posted in this very thread. I was on the fence about original hanamura and thought it could be salvaged with some tweaks and folks just needed to learn it since it broke a lot of norms -Hell I rushed to judge Towers and it's one of my favorite maps now that I'm better at the game. The rework was just plain bad design and literally broke an already mediocre map.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 8, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm pretty sure Leoric feeding is the reason he's being reworked as well. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him otherwise. I think abusable features are the things that take priority.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

The Blackheart brawl would make an interesting base for the rework. Didn't the description say you could still take out their core if the other team got the final turn in -as long as you did it before he finished his volley? Was it just minions were still going while everyone was frozen in place? Or did I misread it and it meant "No, you can get those last hits in during those last 3 seconds where they channel the turn in/the ship appears?" I was expecting more of a "Blackheart will destroy all remaining structures for the enemy team, starting with the forts and towers then moving down to core," or that he'd fire directly on the core, but take some time (like 30-60 seconds) to finish it off and you could still play/make one last push while that was going.

No, I misunderstood it the same way you did. It's just first to 100 wins, and if for some reason it stalled out long enough a team could win normally.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MisterZimbu posted:

YES

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Wonder what they broke. They extended the down time from 11 to 1. Or it always said 1 and I hadn't had enough coffee when I read it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Word down the grapevine is that it's related to Hanamura being relegated to the Customs Only Shame Corner. Said Shame Cornering was not part of the PTR, so its implementation for Live is causing hiccups.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
They definitely extended it because I was planning on hopping on right now :(

I'll buy Garrosh even though he looks like the most underwhelming hero they've released in months. I am a sucker for new heroes, and hopefully I can chuck some people over gates before people learn how to deal with him.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MisterZimbu posted:

Good, now get rid of Warhead Junction.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Power Bottom posted:

Word down the grapevine is that it's related to Hanamura being relegated to the Customs Only Shame Corner. Said Shame Cornering was not part of the PTR, so its implementation for Live is causing hiccups.

Ruining the game even after it's taken out

(I don't hate it but the joke was too easy)

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
get rid of all the maps except Cursed Hallow imo

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Power Bottom posted:

They're testing the Custom Game version of Hanamura but the people winning the test game are just farming the losing team endlessly

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MisterZimbu posted:

They're testing the Custom Game version of Hanamura but the people winning the test game are just farming the losing team endlessly

To Blizzard's shame, Hanamura is so busted that it gives experience even though it's a Custom match.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Reminder run Tychus or Malthael in QM tonight and laugh at all the people trying Garrosh.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Y'know, I like ARAM, but I wouldn't go and force it on nine other people as an additional game mode that they have to suffer through without having any choice in the matter. That's just silly.
So I'm not sure why people would insist on a basic lack of courtesy and force a lot of people into a trash garbage game mode like Hanamura.

Good riddance, I hope it doesn't come back.

(The actual problem is a lack of personalized map bans, but I'll take what I get)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

*looks at server maintenance*

*nervously sweats*

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Overwatch got a lot of new poo poo today.

I'm 99% sure the HotS maintenance crew is unlocking new skins, Zarya's "why you have to be mad? is only game" voice line, and playing LucioBall

e: at least the twitter dude is having fun with it:

https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/status/894965099018031104

https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/status/894979686245203969

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 8, 2017

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Welp, maybe I should do something productive with my day.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Map design for this game seems pretty tough. How do you design the next tower of doom?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'd rather have the next Tomb of the Spider Queen.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Map design for Heroes has actually become very straightforward - there's a checklist that they follow and upcoming maps will be a bit closer to the "core" Heroes experience. Hanamura is a failure because it tries to deviate from the norm in too many ways at once. A really good example of this is Hanamura's camps - even though Blizzard acknowledged that any kind of hero modification outside of Talents were a horrible idea and a nightmare to balance (which is why we no longer have Artifacts), they hosed up Mercenary Camps anyways and now they drop items instead of functioning like every other Mercenary camp in the game. Another fantastic example is the Payload Objective - instead of having players contest the objective and rewarding its effects to the winners, Hanamura just kinda... poops out one objective per team and hopes for the best.

I honestly was going to write a big-rear end effortpost about why Hanamura is bad and terrible, but now that it's out of the rotation, I suddenly find that I don't give a poo poo.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Hanamura could have been made twice as good with half the effort if whatever artistic visionary they had in charge of it would stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just produce a good map instead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I highlighted ToD specifically because it's the most different map while still being excellent. Really should have been a failure given how many departures there are but it's so cool.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Towers isn't that far off from the core Heroes experience. Hanamura hosed up because instead of being a departure from the core, it was a departure from Towers and that resulted in everything going to poo poo because there were too many degrees of separation.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Hanamura sucks because your team has five players and sometimes there are 6-7 active objectives on the map. That's it. That's the core problem. Late game fights are a loving trainwreck trying to get 5 people to agree on which of an enormous set of variables are the most important and most games I've seen end with a final score of 1-0 or 2-0 on total chance based on which team gambled correctly on the final decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Honestly, Towers is just as overengineered as Hanamura, the unique gimmicks have very little to do with why it's a fun map to play. Fortunately the only thing that ultimately matters is that the objective brings the 2 teams together for team fights, and it that regard Towers succeeds where Hanamura (and other poo poo maps) fail.