Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

hell i don't even know what music is

I don't even have ears :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

WampaLord posted:

It's jarring and out of place that they don't verbally acknowledge it in any way.

The audience has forgotten him, they'd have to refer to him as " our other brother Rickon" which would be even more jarring

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

The audience has forgotten him, they'd have to refer to him as " our other brother Rickon" which would be even more jarring

But "that's not you" callbacks to season 1 are cool and good?

This year Dave Hill, etc

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rickon served literally no purpose to the plot whatsoever. Even tormenting Jon in the bastardbowl could have been done arguably better by dragging out and humiliating sansa. A 100% superfluous Stark.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

We have a new dickon now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Lycus posted:

Pshaw, I've killed lots of dragons in Skyrim.

A Legendary-tier dragon with max scaling on the highest difficulty setting MIGHT be as powerful as Drogon.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

WampaLord posted:

It's jarring and out of place that they don't verbally acknowledge it in any way.

Yeeahhhhh no it's not.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

We can assume Rickon mourning, like everything in this schlock that's not completely utilitarian dialogue to get everything into place for the big zombie fight, happened off-screen.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Like most issues people have with the episodes, I didn't even notice that they hadn't mentioned Rickon until I got here and everybody was complaining about it for some reason.

Nobody gives a poo poo about Rickon, what else is new.

E: Although now that I think about it, he is the only non-combatant (that is, not actively leading people into battle) Stark child to wind up dead through no action of his own, and that is a little sad.

Parasol Prophet fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 8, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of season one callbacks how likely is it that after Sansa has Arya kill LF, she turns around all smug only to see Bran who roboticly repeats "The one who passes the sentence should swing the sword" and skeeves her out again?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sydin posted:

Speaking of season one callbacks how likely is it that after Sansa has Arya kill LF, she turns around all smug only to see Bran who roboticly repeats "The one who passes the sentence should swing the sword" and skeeves her out again?

I don't think you'd freak her out with father's aphorism. Something like "The Many-Faced God was owed his life" would be more "i know what u did last summer" creepy to her.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Ixian posted:

All the non-ironic sperging over the finer points of medieval swordplay and the tactics flying fire-breathing dragons should really use on the battlefield is the best.

Someone please work out the physics of dragon flying next, I want to know what the top speed and roll rate of one is compared to a Stuka.
top speed: ~370km, same as anything without some form of rotating propeller because of physics(diving only) which is faster than a Ju-87 because that one is limited by it's not all that sturdy construction and needs to not rip it's own wings off
roll rate: hilariously fast and their magic dragonhide prevents them from breaking up during a spin, helluva lot better than a Stuka

Depending on how resistant Drogon is to 7.92mm bullets, Dany vs an early model Ju-87(that is, anything but the G variant with the twin anti tank cannons) might be a surprisingly even match. The dragon has really lovely range on it's breath but is much more mobile while the nazi in the plane can shoot much further but can only effectively hurt the enemy by hitting a tiny target on it's back. That is, assuming it doesn't get the chance to just blap the dragon with it's bombs while it's on the ground eating mereenese noblemen.

Ixian posted:

1st prize if the debate moves in to why heavier gold would make it to the gates first while bushels of wheat lagged behind.
Momentum, duh!

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 8, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I'm not sure why Drogon should be considered resistant to gunfire at all tbh, that ballista bolt put a nice hole in him. Arrows aren't gonna do much but...

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Asehujiko posted:

top speed: ~370km, same as anything without some form of rotating propeller because of physics(diving only) which is faster than a Ju-87 because that one is limited by it's not all that sturdy construction and needs to not rip it's own wings off
roll rate: hilariously fast and their magic dragonhide prevents them from breaking up during a spin, helluva lot better than a Stuka

Stuka had a limit due to it's non-retractable undercarriage as well. Technically Drogon doesn't, or at least he did a good job holding his legs up.

They should give him a few magic green fire explody baskets and have him dive-bomb the Red Keep. Bonus points if he screams YEAHAHAAHAWWWGH like a dragon-stuka siren.

Asehujiko posted:

Momentum, duh!

Up next in Sperg-land: Debating the terrain features of the Reach-King's Landing route, arguing over uphill to downhill ratio.

Add in whether African swallows were involved and we've hit comedy gold.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

banned from Starbucks posted:

We have a new dickon now.

And he's gonna be dead real soon

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

we all prisoners of that good dickon

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
In the sparring match the show WANTED you to think that Arya was at least an even match for Brienne - their inability to accurately portray it that way not withstanding.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
She at least fared better than Ser Podrick of House Payne, First of His Name

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

hitchensgoespop posted:

Have any of Preston Jacobs theories actually been proven to be true or is too early in the books?

Preston did all his batshit after ADWD, so his theories will never be proven or disproven because that will be the last book.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lycus posted:

Preston did all his batshit after ADWD, so his theories will never be proven or disproven because that will be the last book.

Only if Gurm is immortal.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Propaganda Machine posted:

What bothered me most was the closing shot of Jaime sinking into the water. Not because of the sudden dropoff in depth, and not because he's a dead man in all that armor. It's because it happens as he's going towards Dany, as a cliffhanger. There is also a dumb as hell cliffhanger of Tyrion fake drowning on his way to Meereen in book five and the Jaime thing is just too stupid for that to be an accidental coincidence.

I was succumbing to the urge to sperg hard about that

They obviously just really, really wanted to include that shot. The only context in which it makes sense is as a metaphor for Jaime losing consciousness and/or his mental and emotional state as Drogon lays waste to his future, but this show ordinarily only does poo poo like that when magic is explicitly involved - Bran's dreams, the House of the Undying, Arya with the Faceless Men, etc. It's jarring and weird for them to use that kind of dramatic, non-literal visual language out of nowhere.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Lycus posted:

Preston only read the books after the first season of the TV show - but he is probably one of the persons with the deepest knowledge of GRRMs complete works.

But his ending would be sci-fi, which is probably a nono for the publisher.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

She at least fared better than Ser Podrick of House Payne, First of His Name

Hes only proficient with his other sword

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

But his ending would be sci-fi, which is probably a nono for the publisher.

i don't feel like going to this nerd's wiki or youtube channel or whatever, what's his ending?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

There's a line in the next episode apparently where Brienne admits she thinks Arya was playing with her and if she had wanted her dead she could have done so at any time. Which is gonna piss a lot of people who were already upset by them being an even match.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

i don't feel like going to this nerd's wiki or youtube channel or whatever, what's his ending?

I think the White Walkers are aliens or something, and Jon Snow kills them with water. That's why they're freezing everything, they're scared of water.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Skinty McEdger posted:

There's a line in the next episode apparently where Brienne admits she thinks Arya was playing with her and if she had wanted her dead she could have done so at any time. Which is gonna piss a lot of people who were already upset by them being an even match.

I think we're just going to have to live with the fact that the writers have basically decided Arya's on the level of Jaqen in S2, when he was teleporting around Harrenhall at will and silently murdered an entire rotation of the guard.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sydin posted:

I think we're just going to have to live with the fact that the writers have basically decided Arya's on the level of Jaqen in S2, when he was teleporting around Harrenhall at will and silently murdered an entire rotation of the guard.

Basically Arya could defeat the Night King riding Ice Drogon in combat.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If you don't think Arya is gonna assassinate the Night King with that dagger, you're a fool.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

IDK basically everyone's character is geared up with the vulnerability gear for the campaign-ending boss battle. even the henchmen and hirelings. they should totally just have it be a random npc and not one of the player characters hurling a lovely bent spear with an obsidian head who kills him.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

Basically Arya could defeat the Night King riding Ice Drogon in combat.

Maybe if Needle is replaced with a dragonglass sword. Until then she can just tie him up forever.

edit: forgot about the dagger somehow, well, that's all she wrote.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

His ending theory, which is actually one of the least ridiculous and more interesting of his wild flights of fancy, is that ASOIAF is taking place in the twilight of an apocalyptic event ("The Long Night") that was caused by technology, ala nuclear war or alien invasion, rather than magic gone awry. The idea is that advanced technology explains a lot of the inexplicable elements of the series - like the architectural marvels of Storm's End and The Wall - and that things like the inexplicably backward, infinitely large Stark tombs were actually the fallout shelters that kept the "First Men" who survived nuclear winter alive. You can run with this idea to all sorts of weird places; all the bloodline-linked magic is actually the product of genetic mutation, the dragons that "hatched from an egg in the sky" were introduced alien lifeforms, etc. It also suggests that maybe Westeros's hosed up seasons are because the planet's climate or even orbit or something was deeply, apocalyptic hosed.

The evidence is mostly circumstantial, since it's a tinfoil hat theory, but hangs a lot on the sense of "missing history" that permeates the world; we know that the history of the Night's Watch is inexplicably missing prior to the 13th or 14th commander, we know the maesters (who basically represent the whole of Westerosi academia) have more overreaching influence and more of an agenda than is readily apparent to the people they "serve" which may include deliberately concealing this history and advanced tech, and so forth. Also with the fact that Martin was primarily a sci-fi writer who borrowed a LOT of names, concepts, and themes from his sci-fi for ASOIAF to the point that it could be taking place in one corner of a shared universe.

I think it'd be a cool ending just because of how many book readers and show watchers alike would poo poo their pants with rage.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i want a peasant revolt that ends up killing all the nobles to be the end of the series.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Joffrey saved the world.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

i want a peasant revolt that ends up killing all the nobles to be the end of the series.

I've been convinced the ending was going to be either the undead destroying Westeros because the nobles couldn't stop dicking each other right up until the dead marched on King's Landing with some people surviving in a mass exodus east, or someone like Varys catalyzing a real revolution in the twilight of the war and dismantling the Iron Throne

I'm gonna be annoyed when Jon and Dany get married and start a new old dynasty and nobody learns anything lol

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Varys and the mermen rise up to take over Westeros.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Have every unburned body rise up from the grave and take over Kings Landing. Hell you could have undead Joffery there for shits and giggles.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wizard on a water slide posted:

I'm gonna be annoyed when Jon and Dany get married and start a new old dynasty and nobody learns anything lol

same. someone on fbook was posting how they're team cersei and i wanna go you know you can root against both?? i wanted all the lannisters to burn and for bronn to kill the dragon.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dany is probably genuinely barren in the show.

I honestly can't believe the show will end with her and Jon playing King & Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I for one will be sad when we lose my new favorite character next week.

Ser Big Dickon Tarley of the Reach Around

He died as he lived, flaming on a pole.

• Locked thread